Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,718 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

Help Needed On Plantain Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Help Needed On Plantain Farming (927 Views)

My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit / How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria / Profitability Of Plantain Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Needed On Plantain Farming by UndauntedYOCA(f): 11:37pm On Apr 13, 2020
Hello Nairalanders, I am currently serving and will be done soon. I intend planting suckers (plantain) on 5 plots of land out of the one acre we have, how many suckers can be planted on the 5 acres and what are the necessary steps to take? What's the best breed, how true is it that a sucker can produce 5 branches/trees ( don't know what it's called) of plantain and what would you recommend I plant alongside plantain that's profitable and grows within 3-5 months? When would you recommend I plant the suckers? I had intended to do so this month (if it's still possible then I will.
I anticipate your responses, thanks and God bless you.
Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by Nobody: 12:07am On Apr 14, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:
Hello Nairalanders, I am currently serving and will be done soon. I intend planting suckers (plantain) on 5 plots of land out of the one acre we have, how many suckers can be planted on the 5 acres and what are the necessary steps to take? What's the best breed, how true is it that a sucker can produce 5 branches/trees ( don't know what it's called) of plantain and what would you recommend I plant alongside plantain that's profitable and grows within 3-5 months? When would you recommend I plant the suckers? I had intended to do so this month (if it's still possible then I will.
bro, you'll need a consultant for all this. I'm one though.

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by UndauntedYOCA(f): 12:17am On Apr 14, 2020
masterchi:
bro, you'll need a consultant for all this. I'm one though.
Lol, I'm no bro.
Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by excanny: 5:02am On Apr 14, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:

One acre takes 444 suckers using 3m by 3m planting space.

Plant as soon as the rains become stable

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by Atlanticfire: 5:22am On Apr 14, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:

What state do you intend to plant the plantain?

If you have long rainfall in the area then use a spacing of 3m by 2m. Wider spacing will cause more weed problems.

You can plant your plantain at the beginning of the raining season at your location.

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by UndauntedYOCA(f): 7:00am On Apr 14, 2020
Atlanticfire:

What state do you intend to plant the plantain?

If you have long rainfall in the area then use a spacing of 3m by 2m. Wider spacing will cause more weed problems.

You can plant your plantain at the beginning of the raining season at your location.
Thanks you so much, the land is in Ibadan but I'm currently in Benue state. What breed would you recommend? (If there are varieties of breed). What precautions should be taken please?

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by UndauntedYOCA(f): 7:03am On Apr 14, 2020
excanny:

One acre takes 444 suckers using 3m by 3m planting space.

Plant as soon as the rains become stable
Okay, that would mean i can go ahead with it this month end? thank you so much, that's safe to say each plot will take about 80-85 suckers.
What breed would you recommend please and what precautions should be taken?
Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by Ayanfeoluxyz(f): 7:07am On Apr 14, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:
pegging will determine the number of stands you are going to use
Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by excanny: 8:08am On Apr 14, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:

Okay, that would mean i can go ahead with it this month end? thank you so much, that's safe to say each plot will take about 80-85 suckers.

Go for hybrid.

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 14, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:

Lol, I'm no bro.
sorry
Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by Kennyprince: 7:05pm On Apr 14, 2020
It can go with corn. Plantain can produce more than 5 stands so dont be scared

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by UndauntedYOCA(f): 4:14pm On Apr 23, 2020
Kennyprince:
It can go with corn. Plantain can produce more than 5 stands so dont be scared
Thank you so much, I'll do just that! I was thinking of pepper as well but I'm scared cuz if pests and I don't have money for green house farming

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by Borngr8tz(m): 5:26pm On May 20, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:

Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by Victornezzar: 5:34pm On May 20, 2020
See internet farmers cheesy

One even said plantain produces 5 stands cheesy cheesy cheesy

OP an acre takes 900-1000 suckers max

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by UndauntedYOCA(f): 11:35pm On May 20, 2020
Borngr8tz:
hey dear sorry I had to reach u this way because I tried to send you pm but it wasn't going through on my part so to be straight I need natural effective medicine for premature ejaculation you can reach me on zero 9 zero 10898666 or send pm
Seen, delete this now. I'll message you soon via WhatsApp

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by KayCee92(m): 8:20am On May 21, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:

Seen, delete this now. I'll message you soon via WhatsApp

Lol...even if he does, you quoted him so it will still be visible. grin. Anyways, on that plantain venture of yours I will say U get someone who understands. Am experimenting on a 3plot of land now. It took 375 suckers. An acre like the man up there rightly said will take 1k suckers max. Just make sure U ask alot of questions before digging anything.

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by UndauntedYOCA(f): 8:25am On May 21, 2020
KayCee92:

Lol...even if he does, you quoted him so it will still be visible. grin. Anyways, on that plantain venture of yours I will say U get someone who understands. Am experimenting on a 3plot of land now. It took 375 suckers. An acre like the man up there rightly said will take 1k suckers max. Just make sure U ask alot of questions before digging anything.
Lol, ikr. No mind me abeg. 3 plots of land and you planted 375? What's the spacing like? And how much did you get the suckers?
Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by Nobody: 9:03am On May 21, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:

Lol, ikr. No mind me abeg. 3 plots of land and you planted 375? What's the spacing like? And how much did you get the suckers?
please how can i reach you, so we can share ideas. i just got 2 hectares in osun and I'm thinking to make it a plantain farm.
Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by UndauntedYOCA(f): 9:30am On May 21, 2020
checkpoint:
please how can i reach you, so we can share ideas. i just got 2 hectares in osun and I'm thinking to make it a plantain farm.
Uh, just pm me.
Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by Nobody: 9:59am On May 21, 2020
Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by KayCee92(m): 12:10pm On May 21, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:

I got the so called consultant and that was all they did. Mine is for pay those working after they do their thing. I bought the tissue cultured suckers at 250 per 1 x 200 and the normal suckers at 100naira each X 175. I think he used 2m by 2m. Can't remember the specifics though.

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by UndauntedYOCA(f): 12:27pm On May 21, 2020
KayCee92:

I got the so called consultant and that was all they did. Mine is for pay those working after they do their thing. I bought the tissue cultured suckers at 250 per 1 x 200 and the normal suckers at 100naira each X 175. I think he used 2m by 2m. Can't remember the specifics though.
Wow! That's expensive for suckers na, when did you plant? I have a friend whose parents are into farming (big time) and he told me they do get suckers for about 70-100 naira. Maybe they're more expensive now sha.

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by UndauntedYOCA(f): 9:13am On May 22, 2020
checkpoint:
Please PM me.
Re: Help Needed On Plantain Farming by authocratic: 6:03pm On May 24, 2020
checkpoint:

Pls, where in Osun do you have your farm, and how much did a hectare cost?

(1) (Reply)

Farmers Pleaseeee Assist Me With Fertilizer Application On My Backyard Garden / Compost(manure); A Hidden Treasure(pictures) / Fish Or Poultry Farming, Who Knows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.