Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown (25715 Views)

Tinubu Arrives In Kano Ahead Of APC Presidential Rally Tomorrow / Where Can I Hire A Bullion Van In Kano Ahead of Saturday / 2019: Non-indigenes Leave Kano Ahead Of Polls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by jarawa: 9:20am On Apr 16, 2020
There was panic buying across markets in Kano metropolis yesterday as the state goes on seven days lockdown beginning from today. Our reporters also observed massive turnout at ATM points as bank customers besiege their bankers for withdrawal ahead of the week-long total lockdown.

It would be recalled that Kano State Government on Tuesday announced that markets and worship centres across the state would be put on total halt for seven days beginning from 10pm today to curb and contain the spread of coronavirus among the public. It is on record that as at yesterday the state’s confirmed cases of COVID-19 have risen to nine, since from the time the index case was recorded last Saturday.

Some residents who were on the last minute purchases told Daily Trust that prices of foodstuff and other basic commodities have skyrocketed ahead of the lockdown. MC Ibrahim Sharuh khan, who was at Sahad stores for shopping ahead of the lockdown decried the sudden increase in the price of commodities and foodstuff across the markets. He said “I was actually planning to stock food stuff for the month of Ramadan, but with the sudden announcement of the lockdown, people are rushing to buy for fear of the unknown, and that is why I am here to shop.”

“I was at the Yankaba market and the price of items has also gone up. For instance, a measure of Irish potato that we used to buy for N5,000 is now N7,000; that of N1,500 is now N2,000, same thing with yam tubers,” he said. Hajiya Hafsat blamed the sudden price increase on the marketers who unnecessarily increase the prices of commodities, just to maximize profit at the expense of the consumers. “Barely 24 hours, the price of 25 litres cooking oil was N12,500 but today it has been increased to N14,000.

This is something they already have in stores, why should they take undue advantage of this terrible situation by increasing prices of items?” she queried. However, some of the residents lamented about the lockdown, describing it as a measure aiming at inflicting more hardship and pains on the poor masses especially those living on daily wages. Malam Rabiu Isa, a grocery seller at Tarauni Market told Daily Trust that, “For people that live from hand-to-mouth, just like me, the seven days lockdown order is torture for the poor.”

Babangida Shua’ibu Mohammad, another trader shared the same opinion saying “If palliatives are not given to the poor and vulnerable families with utmost urgency, more people in the state will die of hunger.” Abubakar Aliyu Tarauni on his part said “We have seen several epidemics and dangerous diseases including malaria, cholera and many more deadly outbreaks but we have never had a total lockdown as this coronavirus era. Stopping someone that survives from daily earnings is an infringement on the human rights,” he said.
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/panic-buying-in-kano-ahead-of-7days-lockdown.html

1 Like

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by Yobabad: 9:22am On Apr 16, 2020
God help us

2 Likes

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by Darato: 9:24am On Apr 16, 2020
Oh so market exploitation reach that side too...

Client: If I don’t exactly know what type of Job I want, could you help with that?

Me: YES!!!
I can provide recommendations based on your past experiences, education, achievements and skill set.
However, we would have to decide on a position/field before completing the revision.

CALL NOW let’s help you get started.
Resume Writing, Cover Letter, Personal Statements, Portfolios...

1 Like

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by zionmde: 9:42am On Apr 16, 2020
Too late
We don't apply wisdom in this country
The government should have targeted Kano first even without a single outbreak. keep Kano safe by all means knowing dat kano is to the north wat Lagos is to d west
if as responsible and well informed as those in Lagos are, the cases are more Dan 200
I wonder wat will happen to d entire north
remember Friday mosque is a must

let's watch d drama unfold

senseless leaders

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by DonMustafa: 9:44am On Apr 16, 2020
I tire for these kano people. Have they not being hearing of the corona. Why do they have to wait till the eleventh hour to start stocking up

7 Likes

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by Salvador1: 9:51am On Apr 16, 2020
They should declare full time 24hrs curfew in that state for 30 days.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by handsomeyinka(m): 9:53am On Apr 16, 2020
This covid-19 Will hit kano so hard..

Those aboki no they hear go or come..

Let's see how buhari will handle this abokis.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by Emmacula8(m): 9:53am On Apr 16, 2020
cry
Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by aylive02(m): 9:53am On Apr 16, 2020
Social distancing in picture grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by Fidelismaria: 9:53am On Apr 16, 2020
Who cares?

Southerners don't give a fvck

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by Belugaice1: 9:53am On Apr 16, 2020
angry The government is testing the peoples patience

Hmmm wahala dey ooo
Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by Jaspaman: 9:53am On Apr 16, 2020
What is even happening.Nails which way

Anyways if you want to know about dark ways you can make money online i can put you on. There are risk involved,you need to be cold hearted but you will be making a lot of money from it. If you choose to go this part then mail me and i will send you the details.

1 Like

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by bestman6516: 9:53am On Apr 16, 2020
B
Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by ForeThinker: 9:53am On Apr 16, 2020
It's well ..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by osamz007: 9:54am On Apr 16, 2020
cheesy
Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by YorubaKinging: 9:54am On Apr 16, 2020
This is the time to start acting right

Being righteous means to be right at all times

And we all know what's right and wrong unless we want to deceive ourselves

The times we are living in are perilous times

Only God will be able to save as He has power to save anybody he pleases

Do not expect anything to get better after coronaVirus

It's going to get worst for this country

But your helpers will come in disguise but will kill many

Beware of European Union and the UN

Their plans for the people of God is not good at all
But God will save his chosen and elect

4 Likes

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by Sheuns(m): 9:54am On Apr 16, 2020
I wonder how the north will not record high number of cases and death when they still insist on going to say Jumuah prayers. The shit might just have spread badly without them knowing.

Or could this be competition cos of the grants affected states are receiving? It better not be o. Cos some countries will rather trade money for this disease.

Anyway which way, we are staying home for a looooooong period.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by MrofficialOFfre: 9:54am On Apr 16, 2020
Ganduje kiss

See my signature for something nice
Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by osamz007: 9:54am On Apr 16, 2020
:Ds
Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by Coldie(m): 9:54am On Apr 16, 2020
B
Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by gaetano: 9:54am On Apr 16, 2020
INEC should be careful with the figures coming from kano, we know they are rigging it grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by Inventionalgeek: 9:54am On Apr 16, 2020
Salvador1:
They should declare full time 24hrs curfew in that state for 30 days.

Don't be inhumane

Meanwhile I buy Bitcoins at 380/$ and buy all gc
See my profile
Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by crafteeworld: 9:54am On Apr 16, 2020
Kano.... Most likely gonna be 2nd in the league table only behind lagos at the end of the Season.

2 Likes

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by Keziehenry(m): 9:54am On Apr 16, 2020
As this virus hit Kano, hmmm it wll be very catastrophic. How are you going to tell aboki to maintain proper distancing and hygiene, not to shake hands or to avoid public gathering. Kole easy o.
And the worst is that even if other states like Lagos ended managing the cases in their state, these aboki will end up exporting the virus back to Lagos again and the cycle continues.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by airminem(f): 9:54am On Apr 16, 2020
Emir Sanusi, show that Gandolla that you are more than him by giving back to the masses with relief items at this tough times... God will return the emirate back to your generation in JESUS NAME

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:54am On Apr 16, 2020
The panic buying is much expected.
Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by freshkpomo(m): 9:55am On Apr 16, 2020
Only citizens are on lock down, that's why the government can just pronounce it the way they like without first putting things in place.

God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by MrBONE2(m): 9:55am On Apr 16, 2020
I
Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by Kobicove(m): 9:55am On Apr 16, 2020
Yeye people!

They're just starting their own lockdown after the thing has already entered Kano State undecided

1 Like

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by 1stola: 9:55am On Apr 16, 2020
So?

1 Like

Re: Panic Buying In Kano Ahead Of 7-Day Lockdown by ignis: 9:55am On Apr 16, 2020
And I trust Nigerians to take advantage of the situation by hiking the prices of food stuffs.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Was One Of Those Who Opposed Endsars Protests – Asari Dokubo / Godswill Akpabio Receives Wild Cheers As He Touches Down In Akwa Ibom..photos / Dino Melaye In Worship Mood (Photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.