Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Determined To Die - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Determined To Die (1549 Views)

Your Religion Is Determined By Geography / Pastor Adeboye Was Afraid To Die On Nigeria Airways Flight / There Are People Out There Who Are Determined To Make Kenya Another Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Determined To Die by chrisd(m): 11:30am On Jan 25, 2006
Why a retired GP chose to end her life seven years before time

Anne Turner was determined to die before she was incapacitated by disease
ONE hundred letters addressed in Anne Turner’s distinctive hand, sealed in identical ivory envelopes, were posted to her relatives, friends and former colleagues yesterday.

When opened they will reveal farewell messages, explaining how and why Dr Turner chose to end her life with the help of Dignitas, a Swiss euthanasia clinic, on the eve of her 67th birthday. Her poignant personal goodbyes were preceded by a powerful public appeal to the Government to allow assisted suicide in Britain.

Interviewed before she flew to Zurich to die, Dr Turner said that she was taking her life sooner than she wanted because she had to be well enough to travel. Nor did she want her illness to get so bad that she could not swallow the barbiturates that would kill her.

Her progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP), an incurable degenerative disease, was diagnosed in 2004. It was in its early stages and she could still walk unaided, eat and communicate. The PSP Association says that patients live for an average of seven years with the disease, but Dr Turner, whose husband Jack died from a degenerative illness in 2002, said that she was “resolute” about her decision.

“I know that people say that I look well, but I’m not,” she said. After a failed suicide attempt in October she contacted Dignitas for help. Growing unsteadiness had resulted in several nasty falls and fractures.

Dr Turner said: “I think it is very, very important that people have the opportunity to do in this country what I’m going to do. I feel strongly that assisted suicide should become legal in this country.

“In order to ensure that I am able to swallow the medication that will kill me, I have to go to Switzerland before I am totally incapacitated and unable to travel. If I knew that when things got so bad, I would be able to request assisted suicide in Britain, then I would not have to die before I am completely ready to do so.”

Before leaving her hotel yesterday Dr Turner added: “I have been forced to die in a strange country, not at home.” At 12.35 GMT Dr Turner, who was born in Harrogate, North Yorkshire, became the 42nd Briton to die with the help of Dignitas. She drank the barbiturates in a flat in Zurich owned by the clinic and slipped into a coma, dying 25 minutes later.

Her three children, Sophie Pandit, 41, Edward Turner, 39 and Jessica Wharton, 37, were holding her hands when she died. The family flew to Switzerland on Sunday. During their last days together they attended a Beethoven concert, enjoyed a boat trip on Lake Zurich and toured the city in its famous old trams. On Monday night they opened a bottle of champagne at dinner and had “a good cry”.

Dr Turner’s children will face a police investigation when they return home. Mr Turner said that during his mother’s last two hours they “chatted together, sang some songs and joked”. After Dr Turner’s disease was diagnosed she told her children that she would take her own life rather than become dependent on carers.

For many years she had been a member of the campaigning organisation Dying in Dignity — which changed its name from the Voluntary Euthanasia Society on Monday — and had watched her husband’s degeneration from a similar illness. She knew that Dudley Moore, the comedian and actor, had suffered with PSP. Dr Turner said: “I didn’t want to end up like Jack, and with PSP the prognosis is much worse. I do not want to end up like Dudley Moore. H e could not walk, talk or even blink at the end.” Dr Turner ran a family planning clinic in Bath but retired at 58 to care for her husband, who was also a GP in the city. She said that she had taken mental health advice before deciding to go ahead with her suicide. Her children supported her.

Before her mother’s death Mrs Pandit said: “Having seen the way our father deteriorated, seeing him corpse-like, unable to swallow, and yet more incapacitated every time I came home . . . it’s a relief to think she is not going to have to suffer like that.”

Mr Turner emerged from the flat a short time after his mother died. He said: “She would have found it a lot easier if she could have done it in the UK. We would have liked to have had her around for longer, of course, but she has got to die some time and she has got to die when it’s right for her.”

Before her death Dr Turner said she was not afraid of her choice. She said: “I don’t think death has ever held any fear for me. I haven’t got faith, I’m a humanist. I’ve always felt that dying is like going to sleep.”

A spokesman for the Christian Medical Fellowship said: “This tragic case involves a lady in the early stages of an illness which is not usually fatal.”
Re: Determined To Die by Z4M4eva(f): 11:32am On Jan 25, 2006
Oh yeah! I watched that on CNN last night,so sad eh? Her children were there with her and everything at the time she was going to take her life, they supported her and all. and she had to go all the way to switzerland, because "Attempted Suicide" is illegal in U.K, she was given a drug to help her die as well. such a sad,sad situation!
Re: Determined To Die by chrisd(m): 11:38am On Jan 25, 2006
I don't think one should punish her sons and daughters when they get back to UK. When politics and police get into this they tend to impose corrupt idealogies. I mean, when you expect them to do, leave her to die alone when she needed them most. Most inhuman act of all.
Re: Determined To Die by Rhodalyn(f): 9:32pm On Feb 22, 2006
dat was 2oo long 4 me 2 read cry
Re: Determined To Die by allonym: 11:27pm On Mar 22, 2006
I always wonder how it is possible that something is too long to be read.
Re: Determined To Die by TYPOP(m): 1:34pm On Mar 25, 2006
allonym:

I always wonder how it is possible that something is too long to be read.

@allonym

some things can be too long to be read.
Re: Determined To Die by allonym: 6:34pm On Mar 25, 2006
. . . if you say so
Re: Determined To Die by Rhodalyn(f): 10:22pm On Apr 01, 2006
YES!!!!!!!!! he says so, and so do i angry
Re: Determined To Die by babymine(f): 1:55pm On Apr 04, 2006
Its worse if its long and boring. grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Determined To Die by Rhodalyn(f): 2:55pm On Apr 04, 2006
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy dats ma gal wink cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Determined To Die by allonym: 6:16pm On Apr 09, 2006
if you don't feel like reading something, it doesn't mean that its too long and boring, it means that either you are not interested, you are too lazy, you don't feel like it, or some other reason, or combination of reasons. The world would be in a bad place if people didn't read things that were longer than that post.
Re: Determined To Die by TYPOP(m): 11:02am On Apr 10, 2006
@allonym
can you summarize it pls?

(1) (Reply)

'pastor's Wife Died In Lover's House', Is It True? / Should A Christian Commit Suicide In Order To Be Closer To God? / How To Be A Catholic Monk?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.