Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,978 members, 7,828,461 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) (34790 Views)

Why Did Tinubu Exclude FFK, Ganduje And Festus Keyamo From Ministerial List? / IMF Excludes Nigeria From Debt Relief / Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by aminulive: 2:39pm On Apr 16, 2020
As Nigeria gets support from foreign donors in a bid to fight the COVID-19 pandemic and cushion the effects on its economy, fake news sometimes arises or figures are misconstrued.

Recently, a report emerged about the exclusion of Nigeria from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) debt relief scheme, generating controversies amongst Nigerians, particularly on the social media space.

It is expedient to note that the Coronavirus pandemic is shutting down economies globally thereby sending different countries into emergency distress. It is in this light this that the IMF is relieving them of their debts in order to help sustain and complement their efforts at reviving their economies.

IMF is an organization of 189 countries, working to foster global monetary cooperation, secure financial stability, facilitate international trade, promote high employment and sustainable economic growth, and reduce poverty around the world.

CLAIM: A report published by Punch newspaper, one of the most widely read newspapers in Nigeria, stated that “IMF excludes Nigeria from 25 nations granted debt relief”.

After Punch Newspaper published the report, it gathered 792 retweets and over 1000 likes from readers.

(https://twitter.com/MobilePunch/status/1249936673187618820)

Also, it was also featured on several news websites and blogs.

In the report, Punch quoted a statement issued by the Managing Director of the IMF, Kristalina Georgieva.

However, in the statement, Georgieva said the agency would provide $500m in grant-based debt service relief to 25 countries.

“Today, I am pleased to say that our executive board approved immediate debt service relief to 25 of the IMF’s member countries under the IMF’s revamped Catastrophe Containment and Relief Trust as part of the Fund’s response to help address the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic”

It listed the beneficiaries as Afghanistan, Benin, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, D.R., The Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Tajikistan, Togo and Yemen.”

Verification

POLITICS NIGERIA findings reveal that although the statement is genuine, Nigeria was never part of the countries indebted to IMF.

Also, in a copy of the statement obtained by this newspaper, Georgieva did not mention Nigeria.

As of December 31, 2019, IMF was not part of the agencies Nigeria was owing. A report released late last year on Nigeria’s External debt by the country’s Debt Management office shows that Nigeria is not owing the IMF.

Note that IMF loans are meant to help member countries tackle balance of payments problems, stabilize their economies, and restore sustainable economic growth. Furthermore, Nairametrics, a leading financial resource company, in a recent article, noted that Nigeria was never part of the countries indebted to IMF.

The company however published a list of the debts being serviced by Nigeria as evidence.

Nevertheless, it was gathered that Punch Newspaper later pulled down the story.

While it was not clear why the newspaper pulled down the story, POLITICS NIGERIA understands that credible newspapers only retract stories when they are either false or erroneous.

[b]VERDICT: [/b]Nigeria was excluded from the debt relief scheme because it is not indebted to the IMF.
https://politicsnigeria.com/fact-check-did-imf-exclude-nigeria-from-25-nations-granted-debt-relief/

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by wonuks(m): 2:40pm On Apr 16, 2020
We don't deserve it jare. Let them pay their debt if they are owing.

Gather here if you don't give a damn about this news

Click to Download this free ebook

208 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by Amotolongbo(f): 2:45pm On Apr 16, 2020
wonuks:
We don't deserve it jare
Nigeria isn’t indebted to IMF.

We are just planning to be indebted to IMF through the loan application we just tendered and expecting from them

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by mofeoluwadassah: 3:17pm On Apr 16, 2020
It’s money me I want o....all these stories is not my concern abeg undecided

2 Likes

Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by economia: 3:17pm On Apr 16, 2020
i am following...
Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by NwaNimo1(m): 3:17pm On Apr 16, 2020
I think Obj cleared the IMF debts?

Luckily the IMF have learnt their lesson when it comes to Nigeria.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by chinavs9ja(m): 3:17pm On Apr 16, 2020
It will only ease the politicians not the citizens

3 Likes

Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by Ayoswit(f): 3:17pm On Apr 16, 2020
Na dem sabi undecided
Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by ddippset(m): 3:17pm On Apr 16, 2020
cool
Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by Martinola(m): 3:17pm On Apr 16, 2020
Ok
Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by sevo(m): 3:18pm On Apr 16, 2020
wonuks:
We don't deserve it jare

A clear case of not reading the contents before commenting

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by Chinwees: 3:18pm On Apr 16, 2020
Yes
Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by manuelreports: 3:19pm On Apr 16, 2020
W
Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by Abubakar1ooo(m): 3:19pm On Apr 16, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by Randerl: 3:19pm On Apr 16, 2020
Amotolongbo:

We are just planning to be indebted to IMF through the loan application we just tendered and expecting

We were antcipating debt relief after borrowing to loot.
Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by laurel03(m): 3:19pm On Apr 16, 2020
wonuks:
We don't deserve it jare
Nigeria is not a poor Nation but the leaders make us poor

6 Likes

Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by Ogaga87(m): 3:20pm On Apr 16, 2020
BUHARI already sold us to China with his geometrical borrowing from them..

IMF does not support borrowing to countries that subsidize to cushion the effect of poverty because they want their money back..

4 Likes

Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by Urchman200: 3:20pm On Apr 16, 2020
Did Nigeria plead for debt relief?
Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by Dannyset(m): 3:20pm On Apr 16, 2020
grin

When you read people's comments hear, you just laugh and pity Nigeria. These are the set of people the Tissue paper media like punch are trying to feast on their gullibility.

Punch tissue paper won't stop showing how fake they have become just to let you know they are pained and battered by what the government did to them.

Awon Akuris.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by gospelpen(f): 3:20pm On Apr 16, 2020
The way things are going, we're likely going to be indebted to them soon.

Meanwhile, following the extra 2 weeks lockdown added by the FG, I just created my first gig on Fiverr where I'm offering to write top quality SEO contents for bloggers.

Though I just created the gig, I'm seriously hoping to start receiving orders soon.

Do click on the gig and let me know your honest opinions on it. What do you think about the profile picture, the gig cover photo, my charges, description etc?

Please let me know. I'm seriously open to constructive criticisms, especially from anyone who has made a dime before from freelancing on Fiverr.

Here's the link:

https://www.fiverr.com/s2/fa7f90d7b3

If you also need my article writing services, please do not hesitate to place an order there. You'll be greatly helping a sister grow!
Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by BruncleZuma: 3:22pm On Apr 16, 2020
grin grin grin grin
Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by wink2015(m): 3:23pm On Apr 16, 2020
NIGERIA DOES NOT DESERVE THIS MONEY.

Nigeria political leaders should develop true national wealth by investing Agriculture.

IMF should continue to give the poorer African countries such as Mozambique, Rwanda etc this debt relief.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by sweerychick(f): 3:23pm On Apr 16, 2020
Amotolongbo:

We are just planning to be indebted to IMF through the loan application we just tendered and expecting
well maybe they are looking at other outstanding loans Nigeria owes, remember world Bank and other donor agencies warned about the huge debt profile of Nigeria recently

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by 1stola: 3:23pm On Apr 16, 2020
I pray that no international body will grant us any loan.

We don't deserve it.

USA can not be carrying the burden of the whole world on their shoulders. What are the stupîd colonial slave masters who put us in the trouble we are facing now doing?

Meanwhile, It will never be well with those shinkos. We are aware of all their evil plots.
THEY WILL NEVER SUCCEED.

I JUST PRAY THAT TRUMP WINS HIS SECOND TERM.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by Hisincrease: 3:24pm On Apr 16, 2020
You people should not disturb my peace.
Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by chukel(m): 3:24pm On Apr 16, 2020
Punch newspaper has proven to be a gutter media firm. Very poor in journalism. Nigerians are also notoriously known not to read, research or verify news. We are so sadistic that even in the face of verified good news, we doubt and adamantly disbelieve it.

8 Likes

Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by masterP042(m): 3:25pm On Apr 16, 2020
Debt that they use to enrich themselves. Why do these people keep giving them loan sef, something wey no dey reach the common man.
Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by wonuks(m): 3:25pm On Apr 16, 2020
sevo:

A clear case of not reading the contents before commenting

Nna mind yourself oh
Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by Crixxx: 3:26pm On Apr 16, 2020
manuelreports:
W

Bloody space booker.
Re: Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) by chinyce(m): 3:26pm On Apr 16, 2020
Nigeria is not owing IMF. But we are owing the Chinese banks. China should grant Nigeria debt relief instead.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senator Shehu Sani Visits Buhari In Daura(photos) / What's Going On In The North? - Deji Adeyanju Reacts To Crowd At Kaura PDP Rally / My Experience With Vote Buying In Akwa Ibom State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.