Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. (1842 Views)

Types Of Dog Skin Infections / 4 Causes Of Dog Skin Cancer / Help! See The Funny State Of My Dog's Ear (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by Osaka: 1:04pm On Apr 17, 2020
Hello pet lovers,
I have a big issue on my hands right now.
My brother was giving one of our dogs a clean bath this morning and he noticed pimple-like buldges on the dog's skin. Upon closer inspection, we noticed that live maggots reside in these pimple-like buldges.
Right now I don't have access to a proper vet because I discontinued the services of the woman who claimed she is a vet.
Please anyone who knows how I can treat her should let me know.

A pet lover in need

Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by Nobody: 1:12pm On Apr 17, 2020
See these threads:

A. https://www.nairaland.com/3165252/how-treat-maggots-dog#46588495

Summary

Sobala:

1. Restrain your pet if necessary. Maggot infested areas of skin can be very painful, and a pet may bite as a reflex.

2. Use blunt tip scissors or electric clippers and clip the affected areas to remove soiled and matted hair. Fur traps bacteria and keeps reinfecting the wound.

3. Remove all maggots with blunt-nosed tweezers, a gauze pad, or tissue. Wear a pair of disposable medical gloves to avoid touching the worms.

4. Wash infected areas with Betadine solution and dry the dog. If you are using water to flush the wound, flush the area for at least 15 minutes. As the maggots escape the wound to avoid drowning, you are then able to easily pick them off. Water will rinse away any remaining fly eggs that haven't hatched.

5. Then spray or shampoo the dog using a non-alcohol based product that contains pyrethrins and check closely for remaining maggots.

6. Topical antibiotic ointments such as Neosporin can be used to assist in fighting infection. Be sure this ointment is out of "licking range" to avoid the oral consumption of the medicine.

Dogs with infected wounds should be treated with oral antibiotics. If the dog is debilitated, her health and nutrition must be improved to bring about a cure.

Cleaning maggots out of a wound is only the first step, and often, the tissue damage is severe. Healing may take a long time, and wound care is important to ensure that more infection doesn't develop.

B. https://www.nairaland.com/3036739/pls-sore-puppys-body-photos#44542099

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by Osaka: 1:17pm On Apr 17, 2020
Thanks boss
Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Apr 17, 2020
kill the dog
Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by SenorFax(m): 1:33pm On Apr 17, 2020
Get an injection powder. Hold the dog down and press the opening from the base till the worms pop out, clean with Metholated spirit and apply injection powder. That's all.

Dogs get it all the time.

Note: all the openings have a worm each, so make sure you pop them all before applying the treatment, and don't kill the worm before removal. Just hold the wound from the based and press gently like you want to milk it, it will gradually pop out slowly.

2 Likes

Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by slimcassi(m): 1:34pm On Apr 17, 2020
The steps d guy above gave are good but the problem is with dis lockdown I don't think u can get ur hands on some of the items he mentioned.
My suggestion tho: just go local with items readily available at home. Get the following;
A scissor
Palm oil
Salt and water (as disinfectant)
(1). Use the scissor to clear the fur around the affected area.
(2). Apply the palm oil on the affected area, oil should b a little thick and wait for some minutes....
(3.) As a result of the oil u added the maggots will start coming out on its own, when u're sure and convinced they're all out...
(4). Add a teaspoon of salt in half cup of water and pour on the affected area as this will act as disinfectant and kill any other maggots or remains since u can't get a proper disinfectant.

After u've done dis apply d palm oil again and observe till Evening. That should do it.

3 Likes

Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by davillian(m): 2:39pm On Apr 17, 2020
Bubewilson:
See these threads:

A. https://www.nairaland.com/3165252/how-treat-maggots-dog#46588495

Summary

B. https://www.nairaland.com/3036739/pls-sore-puppys-body-photos#44542099
Bro you finish work
There is this insect that lays eggs on the dog
You won't notice especially if the dog is very hairy
You would only notice when the DPG starts licking or paying more attention to the place or a particular spot...
Like you said you press then out...
Bathing the dog with water mixed with dettol is enough
But I suspect a particular fly lays these eggs
Ive noticed this once on my dogs ear...

2 Likes

Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by jubrilcastle(m): 2:45pm On Apr 17, 2020
Osaka:
Hello pet lovers,
My brother was giving one of our dogs a clean bath this morning and he noticed pimple-like buldges on the dog's skin. Upon closer inspection, we noticed that live maggots reside in these pimple-like buldges.
Right now I don't have access to a proper vet because I discontinued the services of the woman who claimed she is a vet.

A pet lover in need
There's a drug we normally use back then. All the maggots will come out on there on. The name of the drug is (Kettract) I don't know if I got the spelling correctly though. It's very effective. Put 2 inside any food that the dog can swallow and see the magic yourself. Ask any local pharmacy store I'm sure they can help with the drugs. One more thing try and get (Insect powder) to apply on the dog skin like every weekend. Seriously that's all you need. Forget any other long story
Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by OKOATA(m): 2:59pm On Apr 17, 2020
Bro this thing na normal thing for dogs na, put some red oil on the affected areas and watch the maggots pop out and that’s all. It’s not even life threatening sef.
Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by Osaka: 7:00pm On Apr 17, 2020
eltilon:
kill the dog

Thanks for typing.
Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by Osaka: 7:04pm On Apr 17, 2020
SenorFax:
Get an injection powder. Hold the dog down and press the opening from the base till the worms pop out, clean with Metholated spirit and apply injection powder. That's all.

Dogs get it all the time.

Note: all the openings have a worm each, so make sure you pop them all before applying the treatment, and don't kill the worm before removal. Just hold the wound from the based and press gently like you want to milk it, it will gradually pop out slowly.

Have already pressed all of them out.
As I didn't haven't injection powder with me, I couldn't apply it. But I'll get that and keep at home as soon as possible.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by Osaka: 7:09pm On Apr 17, 2020
slimcassi:
The steps d guy above gave are good but the problem is with dis lockdown I don't think u can get ur hands on some of the items he mentioned.
My suggestion tho: just go local with items readily available at home. Get the following;
A scissor
Palm oil
Salt and water (as disinfectant)
(1). Use the scissor to clear the fur around the affected area.
(2). Apply the palm oil on the affected area, oil should b a little thick and wait for some minutes....
(3.) As a result of the oil u added the maggots will start coming out on its own, when u're sure and convinced they're all out...
(4). Add a teaspoon of salt in half cup of water and pour on the affected area as this will act as disinfectant and kill any other maggots or remains since u can't get a proper disinfectant.

After u've done dis apply d palm oil again and observe till Evening. That should do it.

Like you assumed, I couldn't get my hands on some those items.
I had no option but to go local as you suggested.
Your suggestion was quite educative.
Thanks.
Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by Osaka: 7:13pm On Apr 17, 2020
davillian:

Bro you finish work
There is this insect that lays eggs on the dog
You won't notice especially if the dog is very hairy
You would only notice when the DPG starts licking or paying more attention to the place or a particular spot...
Like you said you press then out...
Bathing the dog with water mixed with dettol is enough
But I suspect a particular fly lays these eggs
Ive noticed this once on my dogs ear...

Dettol is always added to the water used in bathing them but I suspect my people are being economical with the Dettol by not adding sufficient amount.
Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by Osaka: 7:15pm On Apr 17, 2020
jubrilcastle:

There's a drug we normally use back then. All the maggots will come out on there on. The name of the drug is (Kettract) I don't know if I got the spelling correctly though. It's very effective. Put 2 inside any food that the dog can swallow and see the magic yourself. Ask any local pharmacy store I'm sure they can help with the drugs. One more thing try and get (Insect powder) to apply on the dog skin like every weekend. Seriously that's all you need. Forget any other long story

Kettract and insect powder. Note taken. Will procure them as soon as possible.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by wunmi590(m): 5:13pm On Apr 18, 2020
Osaka:
Hello pet lovers,

A pet lover in need

Don't be scared, it just a simple thing it has occurred to my own dog too when I was still keeping dog, before somebody stole and sold my do and lied she died.

I guess some old members know about it.

Back to your issue.

When it happened to my own dog then, I reported quickly to the vet, and he said is not something serious, that it happened mostly to dogs that likes playing with clothes.

He said most especially women clothes, that their clothes ten to host more bacterial in them more than men.

So what he just did was just to press it out then, they were like 2 on her body, and injection was administered, nothing more.

Even before then the my dog Zara was not exhibiting any symptoms of sickness or fatigue, but just spot it on her body while playing with her.

Goodluck
Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by Osaka: 10:46pm On Apr 18, 2020
wunmi590:

Don't be scared, it just a simple thing it has occurred to my own dog too when I was still keeping dog, before somebody stole and sold my do and lied she died.

I guess some old members know about it.

Back to your issue.

When it happened to my own dog then, I reported quickly to the vet, and he said is not something serious, that it happened mostly to dogs that likes playing with clothes.

He said most especially women clothes, that their clothes ten to host more bacterial in them more than men.

So what he just did was just to press it out then, they were like 2 on her body, and injection was administered, nothing more.

Even before then the my dog Zara was not exhibiting any symptoms of sickness or fatigue, but just spot it on her body while playing with her.

Goodluck

Thanks.
Have already pressed them out. I applied saline solution just like slimcassi said.
Am really grateful to all for your suggestions.
Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by wunmi590(m): 10:49pm On Apr 18, 2020
Osaka:

Thanks.
Have already pressed them out. I applied saline solution just like slimcassi said.

Good

All thanks to God

1 Like

Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by johnnyn1(m): 8:27am On Apr 19, 2020
Don’t rejoice yet.
Those stuffs are stubborn, they will come back.

Take your dog to Your Vet and ask for iver.mectin injection
That should heal it and dry up within two three days.

Make sure you wash where your dogs lies with just detergent.
Chemical agent can be dangerous as it exposes your dog to chemical reactions

That’s a classified information i gave you.
Osaka:

Have a great day

Thanks.
Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by johnnyn1(m): 8:27am On Apr 19, 2020
Don’t rejoice yet.

Osaka:

Thanks.
Have a great day
Re: Help! Maggots Burrowed Into My Dog's Skin. by Osaka: 3:43pm On Apr 20, 2020
johnnyn1:
Don’t rejoice yet.

Have a great day

Thanks.
Just waiting for the govt to put an end to this lock down. I've already put ivermectin in my shopping list.

Again, thanks for the classified information.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Any Enugu German Shepherd Owner / Puppy Rottweiler Dogs For Sell / Wow! Can A Nigerian Dog Do This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.