Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead (68533 Views)

Stop Saying "Up Nepa", This Is The Correct English To Use / Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English / Best Answer For How Was Your Night! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by Nobody: 8:20pm On Apr 17, 2020
Learning English is like learning how to drive a car or a bicycle, but unlike vehicles learning English takes place everywhere in the world.

This can be why learning the essential rules of English Language becomes imperative.

You can not do well in English Language if you’re not ready to listen to the basic corrections in English.

Below are a number of the grammatical errors in English that we speak everyday. Please endeavour to require corrections and apply it on your daily spoken English.

Don’t say/call it——————————————–Say/call it

Ear piece———————————————————Ear Phone

Escape goat——————————————————A scape goat

I have ten sheeps—————————————–I have ten sheep

Mother in laws————————————————–Mothers in law

Plate number—————————————————Number plate

Open teeth—————————————————–Gap tooth

K-leg————————————————————Knock knees

Many peoples————————————————–Many people

He gave me an advice———————————He gave me a chunk of recommendation

Down Nepa———————————————————–Power Outage

Up Nepa————————————————————–Power has been restored

I have two trousers———————————‘—–I have two pairs of trousers.

One of the boy is here———————————-One of the boys is here

Where you brush your teeth within the bathroom is named Brushing tub and not sink.

Drinking water———————————————-Drinkable water

Driving licence———————————————-Driver’s licence

I like watching movies———————————‘—–I like seeing movies

Keke Napep———————————————————Tricycle

I have a shoe——————————————————I have a pair of shoes

Commissioner’s quarter———————————–Commissioner’s quaters

I was bitten by rain————————————————-I was drenched

I saw your missed calls—————————————I missed your call

How Was Your Night——————————————Hope you slept well?

Source : https://www.drumhour.com/stop-saying-how-was-your-night-heres-what-to-say-instead/

8 Likes

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by Ndukings92(m): 8:24pm On Apr 17, 2020
And after all this u still did not say it,if its not how was ur night then whathope u slept well?

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by spafu(m): 8:43pm On Apr 17, 2020
Ok

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by COOL10(m): 9:17pm On Apr 17, 2020
Pls allow me to shout my Up NEPA in peace grin

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by mytime24(f): 9:32pm On Apr 17, 2020
Lubbish angry

3 Likes

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by Lombrozo(m): 9:46pm On Apr 17, 2020
Latest edition of English language dictionary has "Keke Napep" as correct English.

4 Likes

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by trueking: 9:47pm On Apr 17, 2020
Which one is don't say "bitten by rain "
Rain dey bite ?
But you try sha, I know all these and a lot more.

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by peeps4u: 9:58pm On Apr 17, 2020
All these oversabis

How is "How was your night" wrong?

Mscheew.

4 Likes

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by NDSMELODY(m): 10:16pm On Apr 17, 2020
Lombrozo:
Latest edition of English language dictionary has "Keke Napep" as correct English.
Tricycle
Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by freeman500: 10:17pm On Apr 17, 2020
Abeg leave our Nigerian english for us, we like it the way it is. grin

4 Likes

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by SirdimayG(m): 10:50pm On Apr 17, 2020
dayoige:
Learning English is like learning how to drive a car or a bicycle, but unlike vehicles learning English takes place everywhere in the world.

This can be why learning the essential rules of English Language becomes imperative.

You can not do well in English Language if you’re not ready to listen to the basic corrections in English.

Below are a number of the grammatical errors in English that we speak everyday. Please endeavour to require corrections and apply it on your daily spoken English.

Don’t say/call it——————————————–Say/call it

Ear piece———————————————————Ear Phone

Escape goat——————————————————A scape goat

I have ten sheeps—————————————–I have ten sheep

Mother in laws————————————————–Mothers in law

Plate number—————————————————Number plate

Open teeth—————————————————–Gap tooth

K-leg————————————————————Knock knees

Many peoples————————————————–Many people

He gave me an advice———————————He gave me a chunk of recommendation

Down Nepa———————————————————–Power Outage

Up Nepa————————————————————–Power has been restored

I have two trousers———————————‘—–I have two pairs of trousers.

One of the boy is here———————————-One of the boys is here

Where you brush your teeth within the bathroom is named Brushing tub and not sink.

Drinking water———————————————-Drinkable water

Driving licence———————————————-Driver’s licence

I like watching movies———————————‘—–I like seeing movies
y not i like viewing movies

Keke Napep———————————————————Tricycle

I have a shoe——————————————————I have a pair of shoes

Commissioner’s quarter———————————–Commissioner’s quaters

I was bitten by rain————————————————-I was drenched

I saw your missed calls—————————————I missed your call

How Was Your Night——————————————Hope you slept well?

Source : https://www.drumhour.com/stop-saying-how-was-your-night-heres-what-to-say-instead/
Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by Yustash001(m): 10:59pm On Apr 17, 2020
Hmmmm....Otipe tia tin jegi
It's been long we've been eating sticks...
Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by DigitalBotNG: 11:12pm On Apr 17, 2020
Nice one.

Last last, it's all about communication, ask yourself, will the people I'm talking too understand me?

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by mexyk(m): 11:13pm On Apr 17, 2020
Nothing wrong with “How was your night?”

People sef undecided

2 Likes

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by Makavelli25: 11:17pm On Apr 17, 2020
Watching movies is correct

2 Likes

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by Aphroditee(f): 11:35pm On Apr 17, 2020
Ear piece isn't wrong

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by AngryIgboMan: 11:43pm On Apr 17, 2020
So Someone can't say how was your night in peace again in this country?

5 Likes

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by sylvez(m): 11:50pm On Apr 17, 2020
Na where you take hear “down Nepa”

They bring light- Up Nepa
They take light - Up Nepa

Op you need to learn it o!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by munezo(m): 11:56pm On Apr 17, 2020
Sorry, I won't stop saying "how was your night?"

2 Likes

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by DriggityDre: 12:25am On Apr 18, 2020
AngryIgboMan:
So Someone can't say how was your night in peace again in this country?
Your moniker and the meme are in sync grin
Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by LadyGCrueDKilaB(f): 12:32am On Apr 18, 2020
You do realize some of those expressions are local lingos, slangs or parlance and aren't grammatically wrong?

Up Nepa, down nepa, kekenapep, k-leg are absolutely correct Nigerian English.

And [i]"how was your night?"[/I] isn't grammatically wrong either.

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by Gdefo(m): 12:37am On Apr 18, 2020
I must say this isn’t educative enough, most of the wrong sayings are very minimal cos people actually know the right one.

Secondly, ear piece is correct (in context, it is more of a component than a device itself) and ear-set/headsets is more appropriate.
Thirdly, keke napep is very correct cos it’s a local name not English, it’s the name given to the commercial tricycle, most people who knows it’s tricycle still calls it keke because it’s correct locally.

Also, Plate number is correct where as number plate is also correct but all are used in different contexts. So I can ask you what’s you plate number if I want the digits on the plate, and/or I can hand you the plate and say “ take your number plate”

However, some other words there as also correct like how was your night. Like I said earlier, they are used in contextual understanding but they are correct grammatically.

So next time, make it about context and not grammar, although you are right in some of them �

My 2 cents tho...���

4 Likes

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by chycco: 12:47am On Apr 18, 2020

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by etrange: 12:49am On Apr 18, 2020
Many of the things the OP listed were merely alternative ways of saying the same thing or cooked up "mistakes" that people hardly make. Who says 'many peoples' when using the word to refer to persons? And who said "how was your night" is wrong? That it's not frequently used in US and England does not make it grammatically wrong.

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by ruggedtimi(m): 1:06am On Apr 18, 2020
"up nepa" or light don come is pidgin.

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by seunlayi(m): 1:48am On Apr 18, 2020
You need to take that nepa own to primary sch children
Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by crackhouse(m): 2:03am On Apr 18, 2020
Can it put food on my table?
Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by ETWs: 2:13am On Apr 18, 2020
So Keke napep na English abi? Op go and sit down.

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by Tanyaa: 2:43am On Apr 18, 2020
Partner with a Nigeria News Update Website and get the privilege of being paid each time you share a post on your facebook or watch videos, view a post on the website, create a post and login to the website. You can start today with a one time registration fee of N3000 and stand d chance to earn over 20k everyday �. No dull oh.. Make cool cash while staying at home Now.. Ask me how
Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by Nobody: 4:43am On Apr 18, 2020
Op, there's nothing like"drinkable water" but "portable water" wink
Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by Tallesty1(m): 4:46am On Apr 18, 2020
Earpiece or Ear speaker is what produces the sound/voice you hear during phone calls and it's a correct English.
Re: Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead by Nobody: 4:58am On Apr 18, 2020
LadyGCrueDKilaB:
You do realize some of those expressions are local lingos, slangs or parlance and aren't grammatically wrong?

Up Nepa, down nepa, kekenapep, k-leg are absolutely correct Nigerian English.

And [i]"how was your night?"[/I] isn't grammatically wrong either.

Nigeria does not have English.

Though op was wrong by referring to those a grammatically wrong, they are correct but known as wrongly used expression.

Now "how was your night" is wrong in the context it is being commonly used by most people. It means "how did your sex with your spouse go during the night" but most people take it to mean "hope you had a good nights' rest". So these expressions are wrongly used contextually.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sex For Grades: BBC Releases The Full Documentary Of Lecturers Involved / Nigerian Lady Reveals What ASUU Strike Has 'Done To Her' (Before & After Photos) / When A Girl Tells You She Studies Banking And Surgery( photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.