Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,956 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English (89496 Views)

Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead / Best Answer For How Was Your Night! / 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by darling4real1: 8:31am On Aug 15, 2019
I TRULY DON'T ANSWER THIS!!

*Do you know that asking a person “How was your night?” is wrong?*
Well, if you didn’t know it until today, get to know with the help of Edward E Onoriode who shared the update on his Facebook wall.
I felt it very necessary to spread the word and help people know about it too.

Here it is.... as posted by Edward E Onoriode.

I attended a IED (Improvise Explosive Device) fusion cell meeting with some US and British EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) experts yesterday to discuss all the IED incidences that had happened within the week across Somalia.

At the meeting hall, I saluted one of the British officers ‘Good morning sir’ and he responded back ‘good morning to you too’

My oversabi did not allow me to keep quiet so I went further with the Nigeria popular phrase ‘how was your night sir?’

Dude was shock. He looked at me in a weird way as if I’d said something out of the ordinary. Something that’s sacrilegious which is an abomination to his ears. After some sec, he said ‘how my night went is none of your business’!

I was awed in shock. Normally, I was expecting a simple ‘fine’ ‘Good’ ‘Splendid’ ‘ My night was great’ etc. But he didn’t say any of these but he told me ‘how my night went is none of your business’!
I felt embarrassed.

For minutes, I couldn’t mutter a word back to him. I just buried my head in shame.

All through the meeting, I was lost in thought and I couldn’t concentrate on the meeting minutes. I kept asking myself within, ‘was my question wrong?’ ‘have I said something that offended this man?’ ‘could it be that he had a bad night rest and he decided to transfer the aggression at me?’

After the meeting, I did a little Google search and I couldn’t believe the answers I got.

Ladies and gentlemen, did you know the phrase “How was your night ” In English Language means “How was last nights sex?” “How was your night shift duty?” “How was your health during the night hours?”

Whenever you ask this question in the morning to healthy people who are not in sick bed, you’re invariably inquiring about their sexual comfort/activities during the night or how their night shift went and it’s rude to ask such mostly if you’re not closely related to the person.
No wonder the British officer find my question condescending because he felt I was intruding in his private business since I’m not too familiar with him. But I asked that question with a sincere and innocent mind without any harm.
Basically, how was your night is normally asked to people who are receiving treatments in the hospital or people who are on night shift.

Nigeria has really messed me up. Now, I’d be more careful whenever I want to speak with these white folks because I never can tell when I’d say something that’s offensive and invasive again.
By the way, I need to un-learn so many English I’ve been proudly speaking, they’re wrong.
My happiness is that I know the appropriate question whenever I want to enquire how a person’s night went now and it should be;

“Did you have a good night sleep?” or
“Did you sleep well?

The answer to ‘ How was your night?’ Is actually ‘none of your business!’

I have checked our local languages. Even as literal translation goes, no Nigerian language asks ‘How was your night?’ I am checking because of this phrase, for those who know, was not in use in Nigeria as recent as 10 years ago.

As my Doctor friend said to me, it may have come from hospitals.
It’s common knowledge according to the doctor that sick people often have rough nights and most deaths occur at night. So a doctor’s question to the patient during morning ward rounds is usually ‘How was your night?’ If we exported hospital vocabulary to the streets, are we now to assume, we are all at death’s door?

The proper address for mornings is simply ‘good morning’ and if you want to spice it up by being overly friendly, you may add ‘hope you slept well?’ A person’s night is not our business.

If we are Igbo it’s either, ibolachi– have you woken up. Ututuoma- good morning.

If Yoruba, 'ę karo' – good morning. You can go further as Yorubas are won’t do by adding “se daada l'ę ji’ – hope you woke up well?

None of these our local greetings intrusively asks ‘How was your night?’ So, No! It is not African either.
Let us be well aware when we leave our lanes to go measuring that of others.
����������
*So now we know!*
*Don't go asking me or anyone else "How was my night anymore?*

*Copied*

328 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by majamajic(m): 8:43am On Aug 15, 2019
just like women in Nigeria now address someone as Oga

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by SeedofDavid: 9:03am On Aug 15, 2019
This is a bigoted assertion. The people you claim to get this from still enquire of themselves, 'How was your night?'.

Don't just accept anything you see on the internet blindly. It was a person (probably more flawed than you are) that put it there.

Modified
Most Nigerians don't know the meaning of 'context'.... See response below by a British on quora who is a native speaker before you guys kill me with mentions.

252 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by cassidy1996(m): 9:15am On Aug 15, 2019
wow ! do I call this over sabi or I too know or body too dey catch you.... see you see oyinbo

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Amanyanabo(m): 9:29am On Aug 15, 2019
Bullocks! How was ur nite in Nigeria English is a polite question. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Why should I care what a Briton or American thinks

329 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by SocialJustice: 9:36am On Aug 15, 2019
SeedofDavid:

This is a bigoted assertion. The people you claim to get this from still enquire of themselves, 'How was your night?'.

Don't just accept anything you see on the internet blindly. It was a person (probably more flawed than you are) that put it there.
Read to understand before you criticise.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by SolexxBarry(m): 9:37am On Aug 15, 2019
How was your day nkor

413 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Gten(m): 9:48am On Aug 15, 2019
OP, before I comment,how was your night? Yes I said it, English no be my language, the question means well in the Nigerian context. we have more than enough problems to deal with everyday in this country, English that massages a foreigners ego is the least of them.

196 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by XINOIX: 9:56am On Aug 15, 2019
nawa ooooh just because someone said " how was your night " you come write all this essay to correct am OK imbok how was your night

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by mu2sa2: 10:06am On Aug 15, 2019
How was your night seems to be literal translation from yoruba. To yoruba people and maybe other nigerians it's perfectly in order but it may be weird to say those words to an English person on a normal day. I think in nigeria we tend to think "good morning" is too short and something must be added - e.g " Good morning, sir. How was your night? How is madam? Hope you are hearing from grandma(in the village). Thank you, sir. Remain blessed in jesus name( or may Allah continue to guide and bless you and your family)." We have idle time, so we can afford to waste time on useless things. Why can't we just say "good morning" and move on?

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by cybriz82(m): 10:11am On Aug 15, 2019
SeedofDavid:

No mind them....as if Oyinbo no dey make mistakes..how was ur night jurrrr?

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by jom28gy(m): 10:20am On Aug 15, 2019
it had become part of Nigeria culture

3 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by dayleke: 10:27am On Aug 15, 2019
Se e sun daadaa?

A jiire bi?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by calabaman(m): 10:32am On Aug 15, 2019
@ OP:

I agree with you on this as I have had an even worse response from a foreigner when I asked him this same question...."how was your night"

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Owerri1stSon: 10:47am On Aug 15, 2019
Op, your assertion is completely wrong...

How was your night? is very correct and has nothing to do with sex or what ever you typed there.

23 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Cutealexio(m): 10:49am On Aug 15, 2019
I think it's an honest question.... I ask friends and colleagues here and they've never made issues out of it. Of course not to strangers

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Sofistcatdmoron: 11:03am On Aug 15, 2019
[s]
darling4real1:
I TRULY 7 ANSWER THIS!!

*one else "How was my night anymore?*

*Copied*
[/s]
English is just a language, to express yourself ,, we must not copy every British lifestyle,
Oya come and be going

22 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nobody: 11:40am On Aug 15, 2019
I do not even answer "How are you?". I think it is an insult to ask someone how they are when you have no reason to.

I see such greetings as insults

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by naijacentric(m): 12:28pm On Aug 15, 2019
darling4real1:
I TRULY DON'T ANSWER THIS!!

*Do you know that asking a person “How was your night?” is wrong?*
Well, if you didn’t know it until today, get to know with the help of Edward E Onoriode who shared the update on his Facebook wall.
I felt it very necessary to spread the word and help people know about it too.

Here it is.... as posted by Edward E Onoriode.

I attended a IED (Improvise Explosive Device) fusion cell meeting with some US and British EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) experts yesterday to discuss all the IED incidences that had happened within the week across Somalia.

At the meeting hall, I saluted one of the British officers ‘Good morning sir’ and he responded back ‘good morning to you too’

My oversabi did not allow me to keep quiet so I went further with the Nigeria popular phrase ‘how was your night sir?’

Dude was shock. He looked at me in a weird way as if I’d said something out of the ordinary. Something that’s sacrilegious which is an abomination to his ears. After some sec, he said ‘how my night went is none of your business’!

I was awed in shock. Normally, I was expecting a simple ‘fine’ ‘Good’ ‘Splendid’ ‘ My night was great’ etc. But he didn’t say any of these but he told me ‘how my night went is none of your business’!
I felt embarrassed.

For minutes, I couldn’t mutter a word back to him. I just buried my head in shame.

All through the meeting, I was lost in thought and I couldn’t concentrate on the meeting minutes. I kept asking myself within, ‘was my question wrong?’ ‘have I said something that offended this man?’ ‘could it be that he had a bad night rest and he decided to transfer the aggression at me?’

After the meeting, I did a little Google search and I couldn’t believe the answers I got.

Ladies and gentlemen, did you know the phrase “How was your night ” In English Language means “How was last nights sex?” “How was your night shift duty?” “How was your health during the night hours?”

Whenever you ask this question in the morning to healthy people who are not in sick bed, you’re invariably inquiring about their sexual comfort/activities during the night or how their night shift went and it’s rude to ask such mostly if you’re not closely related to the person.
No wonder the British officer find my question condescending because he felt I was intruding in his private business since I’m not too familiar with him. But I asked that question with a sincere and innocent mind without any harm.
Basically, how was your night is normally asked to people who are receiving treatments in the hospital or people who are on night shift.

Nigeria has really messed me up. Now, I’d be more careful whenever I want to speak with these white folks because I never can tell when I’d say something that’s offensive and invasive again.
By the way, I need to un-learn so many English I’ve been proudly speaking, they’re wrong.
My happiness is that I know the appropriate question whenever I want to enquire how a person’s night went now and it should be;

“Did you have a good night sleep?” or
“Did you sleep well?

The answer to ‘ How was your night?’ Is actually ‘none of your business!’

I have checked our local languages. Even as literal translation goes, no Nigerian language asks ‘How was your night?’ I am checking because of this phrase, for those who know, was not in use in Nigeria as recent as 10 years ago.

As my Doctor friend said to me, it may have come from hospitals.
It’s common knowledge according to the doctor that sick people often have rough nights and most deaths occur at night. So a doctor’s question to the patient during morning ward rounds is usually ‘How was your night?’ If we exported hospital vocabulary to the streets, are we now to assume, we are all at death’s door?

The proper address for mornings is simply ‘good morning’ and if you want to spice it up by being overly friendly, you may add ‘hope you slept well?’ A person’s night is not our business.

If we are Igbo it’s either, ibolachi– have you woken up. Ututuoma- good morning.

If Yoruba, 'ę karo' – good morning. You can go further as Yorubas are won’t do by adding “se daada l'ę ji’ – hope you woke up well?

None of these our local greetings intrusively asks ‘How was your night?’ So, No! It is not African either.
Let us be well aware when we leave our lanes to go measuring that of others.
����������
*So now we know!*
*Don't go asking me or anyone else "How was my night anymore?*

*Copied*
calm down its naija English grin do u want to be more English than the English man ni. Even in England accents or English is not the same. Don't take life too seriously i hope you are good in ur mother tongue like English.

8 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Lagbaja01(m): 12:39pm On Aug 15, 2019
After reading the whole episode, here is my conclusion: There is nothing wrong with the grammar, something might probably be wrong with the respondent therefore, the correctness of the grammar is directly proportional to the mood of the respondent....even if you ask the respondent "did you sleep well?", the chances are high that you would as well get a harsh response....You can't please a narcissist.

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nobody: 1:27pm On Aug 15, 2019
VRDroid:
I do not even answer "How are you?". I think it is an insult to ask someone how they are when you have no reason to.

I see such greetings as insults
Don't mind them, as if anyone care. If u say u are not fine, no one wud like to listen to wot will come after that.

I wonder y ppl ask "how are you?" wen they just want u to say "fine" n nothing else.

As for the topic, once the ppl u are communicating with understand u, that's fine. English is not our lang.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by master69(m): 1:28pm On Aug 15, 2019
So because of how was your night, you have to write 2 full pages ...local man is tired.

7 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by damtan(m): 1:58pm On Aug 15, 2019
The man learnt the hard way. My Naija English would rather stay here with me.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nigerfine2: 2:15pm On Aug 15, 2019
This is absolutely correct, here in USA many people don't even know the meaning of " good morning", do we stop greeting each other because they do not do that. It is not uncommon to walk into our every morning gathering in my work place of close to 30 people and nobody greets and the day goes on.
OP..take your correction for yourself, the west are not interested in greetings.leave Nigeria to ask themselves how thier night were.
It even worth it, nigeran isn't it like hospital or health related as per your third meaning of ...how was your night.
Shioir

4 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Pat081: 3:04pm On Aug 15, 2019
Amanyanabo:
Bullocks! How was ur nite in Nigeria English is a polite question. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Why should I care what a Briton or American thinks
AbI now, I have b greeting people since and nobody have kill me or tell me my English is not correct

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Pat081: 3:09pm On Aug 15, 2019
XINOIX:
nawa ooooh just because someone said " how was your night " you come write all this essay to correct am OK imbok how was your night
Op want to do novel ni
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by davillian(m): 3:23pm On Aug 15, 2019
I use hope you had a wonderful night rest.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Pictures of University Of Ghana Beautiful Hostels / COVID-19: Japanese University Conducts Graduation Ceremony Using Remote Robots / Which Is Better? Covenant University Or Babcock University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.