Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown (20342 Views)

Kidnapping: FG To Install CCTV Cameras On Highways / Akwa Ibom PDP Accuse Police AIG Musa Kimo Of Plotting Violence To Sabotage Poll / Saraki Blames IGP, SSS & Army For Abduction Of 87 People On Highways (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by divinehand2003(m): 9:02am On Apr 20, 2020
Foodstuff dealers under the auspices of Amalgamated Union of Foodstuff and Cattle Dealers of Nigeria, AUFCDN, Sunday, accused the Nigerian Police Force of extortion on highways.

This was made known by the National President, AUFCDN, Muhammad Tahir, in a chat with Vanguard over the challenges his members face daily while transporting foodstuff and livestock to various markets in the country.

According to Tahir complain has been made to the Police due to pressure and delay they allegedly receive from officers and men of the Nigerian Police Force on highways in the southern part of the country.

He further stated that the alleged action by the police and multiple taxations his members face has led to an increase in prices of foodstuff, hence making it difficult for people to afford.

He said: “We have received many complaints from our members who are transporting foodstuff from North to South-south that officers and men of the Nigerian Police Force enforcing the government’s lockdown order on highways are collecting money from them despite the President in his national broadcast specifying group of people exempted from the lockdown and stay-at-home.

“We have reached the Assistant Inspector General Police in charge of South-South, South-East and South-West on the issue of extortion by officers and men of the Force who promised to look into the matter.

“We are also appealing to the Police to look into these complaints from our members and stop this illegal collection of money from our members who are exempted from the lockdown order because if not it will lead to high prices and there will be hunger in the land.

“Already hunger has started because many Nigerians can’t afford the prices on foodstuff because we include money we give police as part of our cost while selling foodstuff in the market. Then we also have the problem of double taxation. It is affecting our business.”

Meanwhile, he (Tahir) expressed displeasure over exclusion of his association from the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, saying they deserve to be part of the PTF, because of the strategic position they occupy in safeguarding the health of Nigerians.

According to him over 5 million members of the association are currently facing the risk of being infected by the virus if nothing is done to help them as they deal directly with hundreds of people at once who might be carriers of the virus.

“We are in support of government measures to curb spread of the virus across the country but it is important to make our ill feelings known to the government because we are not happy for excluding us, the Amalgamated Union of Foodstuff and Cattle Dealers of Nigeria from the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 because we stand to be at the greatest risk of being infected by the deadly virus as we have our members all over markets across this country who sell to possible carriers of the deadly virus yet we have not been carried along.

“With over 5 million members of our union who supply Nigerians food on daily basis from North to South are currently facing a great risk, and we know well that an infected person with COVID-19 comes to the market can easily infect our members at anytime because one member deals with over 100 people who buy foodstuff from him or her.

“We don’t want to face this risk and jeopardize what the government is doing to stop spread of the virus because we are feeding the nation and we play a very big role to ensure food is in the homes of Nigerians.

So we need government’s support to provide hand-gloves, sanitizers, nose-masks, and other things to protect our people from the deadly virus. We have done that as an association but not enough.”

The AUFCDN boss also called on government to work with them in sensitization of his members through the association’s structure in the markets.

“We want the government to use our organizational structure at the markets to sensitize and enlighten our people including working with security agents to see how to control movement of people in the markets”, he added.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/04/covid-19-foodstuff-dealers-accuse-police-of-extortion-on-highways/

3 Likes

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by Perfecttouchade: 9:35am On Apr 20, 2020
This also added to the hike in price of food stuffs .. one Yam is from 1k upward, government dey do their own , police sef dey do yet nobody share money but looting dey go on steadily..after this wahala , I hope Nigerians go get sense when choosing who to direct the affairs of the country...hunger won't let some people make it out of this lockdown

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by RaptObserver: 9:35am On Apr 20, 2020
Normal level. It has been happening before I was born. So this man should not repeat the same song. In case he doesn't know, the bribes from the highways climb up to the number one seat in NPF so reporting to those AIGs makes no difference because it is bigger than them. Now, can our economists include NPF as part of agents of inflation?

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by Onero699999: 9:35am On Apr 20, 2020
Nigeria police Na arm robbers on uniform, so i'm not surprised. angry angry sad

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by omoakoraye: 9:36am On Apr 20, 2020
So terrible, why are they doing this, it's too much of Nigeria police, they will extort the poor, oppress the armless and still Federal government will impose tax on all citizens including the poor ones. This is totally bad my people. As for a young man and woman don't ever try to settle down for a more job like that, get yourself a real business such as REALESTATE>>>, so that you will save yourself from the stress of all this hungry forces, what pains me most is that they will stay on the highways collecting money #50 for that matter from the drivers and they are ready to do anything even take the driver's life if they did not give it to them, and they know that what they are doing is illegal, dey even go tomtge extent of carrying along POS Incase theirs Is no change.

2 Likes

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by Tetrahedron: 9:36am On Apr 20, 2020
Is that not what we are known for?

Extort the weak

Rob the poor to pay the rich

Fight the widow and the fatherless instead of fighting FOR them

Oppress the needy

I repeat the “Black-Skinned” human lacks human compassion

13 Likes

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:36am On Apr 20, 2020
RaptObserver:
Normal level
Seems the abnormal has become normal to some people.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by Kaymaxi2222(m): 9:36am On Apr 20, 2020
Our gallant men in black... grin always doing what they know how to do best" extortion "
They should just change their name from police jor they are bribe collectors.

5 Likes

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by chido20(m): 9:36am On Apr 20, 2020
i wish I wasn't born in the zoo

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by haryothosyn93(m): 9:36am On Apr 20, 2020
This is what they are good at including the Police IG... Nigeria Police are good in this and killing of innocent people going about their daily lives.

I just wish we can go back to the military era where there won't lawless police and civilians going against the order and law from the Head of State.

The numbers of people killed by the NFP is higher than the ones killed by Covid 19.

If you have opportunity to leave this country, please... run for your life!

5 Likes

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by XploraBen(m): 9:36am On Apr 20, 2020
Is it not the same Nigerian Police? cheesy They won't just change overnight.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by gambia(m): 9:36am On Apr 20, 2020
Nothing seems to amaze me again in this Country. undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by Nobody: 9:37am On Apr 20, 2020
cattle and food stuff, na real amalgamation.
but cattle is not a food stuff.
Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by easyfem(m): 9:37am On Apr 20, 2020
Like gov like their force agent .....

4 Likes

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by edgeconsul: 9:37am On Apr 20, 2020
smiley
Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by CodeTemplar: 9:37am On Apr 20, 2020
Normal paroles.
Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by vallyboi(m): 9:37am On Apr 20, 2020
Is it not Nigeria again ...Abeg shift lemme pass....

4 Likes

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by Salako01(m): 9:38am On Apr 20, 2020
Lol, no need to say "Accuse".....I didn't even read the epistle. I already know it true. A goat will always eat any yam kept close to it. It simple as that. grin

5 Likes

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by jericco1(m): 9:38am On Apr 20, 2020
undecided
Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by beautyhd: 9:38am On Apr 20, 2020
Nigerian police, always in the news for the wrong reasons.

Yesterday on my way back home, I saw them stop a vehicle, on opening the trunk of the vehicle they saw some food stuff, believe me one of the police men rushed and a got a plastic bottle to collect red oil and some other things.

All these they did while keeping other motorists waiting. I was so shocked.

This happened after Gbagada, going towards Anthony.

5 Likes

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by Ghostmode2two(m): 9:38am On Apr 20, 2020
Police and bribe is like 5 & 6

2 Likes

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by tempem: 9:38am On Apr 20, 2020
angry
Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by Sirvolga(m): 9:39am On Apr 20, 2020
Nigeria my country

1 Like

Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by Digitalstarlite: 9:39am On Apr 20, 2020
D way police is killing in d lockdown is worst dan
Covid 19... So ppl can't buy food to eat .is it wat sanwoole is preaching and lifeless

I pray d war in abia won't repeat in nationwide
Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by hollywater: 9:39am On Apr 20, 2020
Police a name that will never have a good reputation in Nigeria if we fail to do regional policing.
Re: Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown by Macphenson: 9:40am On Apr 20, 2020
This is true, yesterday I went to buy yam from my aboki customer and the price was high, when I enquired from the aboki to know why the price was high, he told me that the police and other security agencies are seriously extorting them while bringing these foods stuff.

The concerned authorities should ld please do something about this.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Edo PDP Resolves Crisis, Ogbeide-Ihama To Withdraw Case Against Obaseki / Ayade’s Defection: PDP Mobilises Tambuwal, Obaseki, Saraki To Stop Governor / Falana: Security Agencies Were Informed Of Planned Igangan Killings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.