Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,214 members, 7,849,754 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 09:09 AM

Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian (129893 Views)

Lai Mohammed Berates Canadian Government, Twitter Over Handling Of Protests / "Happy To Be Home" - Nigerian Soldier With His Family After War With Boko Haram / Jonathan Government Gave Irrevocable Licence To Electricity Distribution Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Redman44(m): 11:02am On Apr 22, 2020
A something for nothing mentality will not get Nigerians anywhere. You cannot expect to be watered when you have not contributed to the digging of the well or borehole. No matter how little the amount, pay your tax every month to FIRS, LIRS or the other State Tax Agencies. Then you can have the audacity to ask for palliatives. And when you are the head of a government organization or a worker in a Federal Agency, don't steal revenue money or partake in the sharing of revenue funds, and then start expecting money from the government due to a Pandemic. Government is not Father Christmas or a Charity Organization.

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Litmus: 11:02am On Apr 22, 2020

UN warns of 'biblical' famine

More than 10 million French employees are now “partially unemployed” and having most of their salaries paid for by the state, the French employment minister, Muriel Pénicaud, said on Wednesday.

The government scheme, described as the most generous in Europe, is being used by 820,000 French companies - 60% of those in the country - most of which have been forced to stop business because of the strict lockdown since 17 March.

In the building and construction sector, 93% of the 1.2 million workers are currently on the scheme as well as 90% of those in the hotel and restaurant sector.

Staff at companies deemed temporarily unemployed are receiving 84% of their salaries from the state as a measure to avoid mass lay-offs. The scheme includes those on permanent and short-term contracts of 12-months or more, but not freelancers.

Pénicaud told BFMTV that 10.2 million workers were now on the scheme and that 98% of demands for “partial unemployment” payments were being settled with companies within 7-10 days.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/22/coronavirus-live-news-un-warns-of-biblical-famine-as-white-house-prepares-immigration-halt

Hope the quoted above makes my point. Nigerians need to save, consolidate and stop pressing the government to hand out cash and help the Nigeria economy cannot afford. Oil is even now not selling.

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by charlsecy(m): 11:08am On Apr 22, 2020
daddytime:
With this lockdown I just wished I was in my village aswear.
I came in for Easter, was to leave the following Tuesday, or so, but with the extension of lockdown, I decided to stay a little longer. I hope to depart by Saturday.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by afroxyz: 11:13am On Apr 22, 2020
Shut up and let us face our problems in Nigeria
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by feed70: 11:13am On Apr 22, 2020
Jostoman:
agree, so tell us those things that are working in your own region.

Afonjas na them put us for this problem, back biters
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Angelfrost(m): 11:15am On Apr 22, 2020
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

Tax of how much sir? A person earning $2000 in many western societies pay up to $400 and more in tax monthly and #600000 naira in those countries is nothing big due to high cost of living. Your tax is paltry and you will resist it if government makes it higher. What Nigeria is surviving on is South south oil not some paltry tax.

Sorry sir, but you aren't making much sense here....

Taxes are universal, and based on earning potential versus national inflation factors, not to mention overall demographic economic growth rate...

Am I supposed to pay more taxes or equal taxes with people in another nation who earn far higher, enjoy far better developmental dividends, and enjoy totally superior economies??!...

Let's even assume I give up half of my income into the coffers of the nation's account, alongside millions of fellow hardworking Nigerians, will that make this thieving and immensely corrupt government more transparent to put them to judicial use??! The 'paltry' ones we have been paying for decades, how far has it benefited you or I??!... The massive revenues from oil since 1960, what has it done for us all??!...

Go read up the economic growth and sustenance of countries like England and France... Where there is no accountability and transparency, there will be no economic growth!!! If you like take 70% of all working and hustling citizens' incomes, it will never reflect in the economy!!! NEVER!!!

Please, look for better excuses for the failures of all your leaders, past and present (especially the present clueless ones)!!!
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by paix(m): 11:32am On Apr 22, 2020
salam8528:
don't let him deceive u he has paid 70% of DAT money as tax. canada govt is not stupid.
Is the remaining 30% not better than a pack of noodle?
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by frankson1(m): 12:04pm On Apr 22, 2020
softset:
$2600 is not a lot of money if you live in Canada.How long will it take you to spend that .

If you will no longer return to Nigeria because of that amount, I sympathize with your situation.

I keep wondering how people convert foreign currency to Naira and start making noise. He should spend in naira then since he has converted it already.

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Nobody: 12:16pm On Apr 22, 2020
kikero:
Hmm

Canada's budget this year is $355 billion for 24 million people.

Nigeria's budget this year is $26 billion for 200 million people.

And you expect Nigeria to give palliative of N626000 naira per person or per family?

Nigeria is a mess, but we are not up to Canada's level. Vote for governments who would make us an industrial nation, then we can talk.

To all those people cursing Nigeria up-thread...yes, we have had corrupt governments. But there is no way our government can afford to give stimulus of N626,000 naira to everyone. Not on our budget,without taking even more mega loans.

Modified

Even giving 100million Nigerians N50000 each a month would involve spending the equivalent of our budget for the year in one month.($26 Billion)
You're one of the very thoughtful individuals here
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by DexterousOne(m): 12:18pm On Apr 22, 2020
tonididdy:

It's the second major problem.
The first with the greatest damage is Education (enlightenment).
My neighbour I used to pity who was living in a 2bedroom apartment suddenly out of the blue gave birth to a 5th child with the 4th child barely able to stand.
The problem is enlightenment and lack of concrete futuristic plans to raise a child, so they believe "the more children, the more the chances of 2 or 3 becoming successful in life ", which is in turn a win-win for them as parents.

It's an ideology that is still very believed in this 21st century by Nigerian parents.

Just imagine
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Eteka1(m): 12:22pm On Apr 22, 2020
byrron:

So typical, now you are playing the victim card and making up all manner of assumptions which is a reflection of your mindset and ideology.

Why would you doubt someone that shared his story?
Don't you know it is upsetting to make up thing's even when you don't have the full facts?

You made me call you doubting Thomas because that is exactly what you did with your response and I still can't see the relevance of your comments above to the subject in discuss which means you are simply projecting yourself on me because thats who you are if not then your response was completely off topic.

Check again. It wasn't me you called that.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Zking: 12:24pm On Apr 22, 2020
donbachi:
I wonder how nigeria take become member of UN and commonwealth...they should have all membership status of all the countries,using covid-19 palliatives...any country wey no give should go and do so or face sanctions.
Give this man ☝�1crate of sweating Guiness ��
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by habsydiamond(m): 12:36pm On Apr 22, 2020
the government that is gathering list of poor people to give money as if majority of people in this country are not poor. it seems this lockdown only affects the less privileged. God please save Nigeria b4 it will be too late.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Legendguru: 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2020
Nigeria has a useless Government
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by CeekayToo: 12:55pm On Apr 22, 2020
Congrats! That’s the dividend of paying tax and having a social contract with the Canadian government. Here nobody pays tax, we dodge paying tax, or under assessed and thereby we have no locus standi to challenge the glaring corruption. I, however, wish we could always reap where we did not sow particularly during this pandemic. After all there is oil and the fear that we we pay tax they will embezzles it. Why allow them to embezzle? That’s the problem to fix and not to pay tax. We need a reform of our economic system based on tax. That’s our voice; otherwise, we have no valid voice to demand accountability. The coronavirus pandemic may be a reset.

2 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Vicilo(m): 12:58pm On Apr 22, 2020
helinues:
Nice one..

But how are we sure this payment is for a Nigerian, except if he/she has dual citizenship

My friend and husband got 2k dollar each in US new York last week. Ask anyone in new York about this
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by dallyemmy: 1:01pm On Apr 22, 2020
THEY DON'T WANT DATA, STRUCTURE AND SYSTEM BECAUSE THEY BENEFIT GREATLY FROM THE CHAOS...AND THEY NEVER CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE. BUREAU OF STATISTIC IS A SCAM!!! THEIR DATA HAS NO BASIS!
MT:
Nice from the Canadian Government but OP is a little bit sensational. Why stating the money in Naira? The Naira and Canadian dollars represent different values in the Canadian environment.

Like I have always stated, Nigeria Govt even if they wish to give palliatives, they DO NOT have the DATA to guide them and the STRUCTURE to channel such through. It is sad there is no credible data that are guiding the decision making of any establishment in this country. Sadly, instead of addressing this gap, we will pretend as if everything is okay after this crisis is over. I was ashamed as a Nigerian to see the parameters that Federal and State governments are using to identify people in the lower rung of the ladder. Even I wonder where the employment bureau and statistics get their data showing the number of the unemployed in Nigeria from.

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Vicilo(m): 1:02pm On Apr 22, 2020
salam8528:
don't let him deceive u he has paid 70% of DAT money as tax. canada govt is not stupid.

Y are u low in reasoning ? I pay 300k tax annually to Nigerian govt, tell me what they have given to me, nothing and instead they slam me 17k electricity bill for march instead of 4k estimated for a flat
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by 1stola: 1:34pm On Apr 22, 2020
salam8528:
Have you exhausted your medication?

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by kumulus(m): 2:33pm On Apr 22, 2020
Redman44:
A something for nothing mentality will not get Nigerians anywhere. You cannot expect to be watered when you have not contributed to the digging of the well or borehole. No matter how little the amount, pay your tax every month to FIRS, LIRS or the other State Tax Agencies. Then you can have the audacity to ask for palliatives. And when you are the head of a government organization or a worker in a Federal Agency, don't steal revenue money or partake in the sharing of revenue funds, and then start expecting money from the government due to a Pandemic. Government is not Father Christmas or a Charity Organization.

So the vast majority who had been perpetually unemployed should be the ones paying tax abi?? Government is not father Christmas but same government over the years had destroyed the lives and livelihood of her citizens. Dangote came around and built a world class refinery under how many years?? If just Lagos, Ogun and maybe Ondo who are bordered by oil rich communities and collaborated and built just one refinery in the past years, do you know how many jobs would've been created.....hence the number of taxpayers in each state?? If they'd planned and laid inter-city train tracks across the nation do you know how many jobs that woulda created. All this politicians do is build hotels, fuel stations, clubs and some small businesses here while they invest the billions of dollars in the Emirates, Europe and the Americas....in most cases I don't even call it investments but unnecessary lavishness and show of opulence around the world.

Soon enough they'll all meet their Waterloo.....e remain small, just small.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by kumulus(m): 2:41pm On Apr 22, 2020
Truth is we don't have technocrats in government here, they are still blinded to what has hit the world rn.....all they know is to play the looters game called politics. Chaos is on the verge of breaking out.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by glowingflame7: 3:08pm On Apr 22, 2020
EverythingCars:

Those that became jobless as a result of Covid-19. Oga, will you not be staying in a house before you become jobless?
Go to google and see what average monthly house rent is.

You guys are still attempting to compare and downplay this thing, na wa oh. Mind you, a person that has a job would not be spending 100% of his salary on rent. Meaning he likely has some back up. From the Google you directed me to.
large apartment $1700
medium apartment $1400
small apartment $1100
student dorm room $600

I'm sure you know that if husband and wife or more adults are living together, they'll each get the money. It's not the 3indomie per household you're seeing in Nigeria. Large apartment no reach the money. There's no reason why one person would live in large apartment. Single person will likely stay in dorm room or self contain. Meanwhile, this is average, meaning there are cheaper ones. Bros, forget it's not possible to defend this.

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Redman44(m): 3:32pm On Apr 22, 2020
kumulus:

So the vast majority who had been perpetually unemployed should be the ones paying tax abi?? Government is not father Christmas but same government over the years had destroyed the lives and livelihood of her citizens. Dangote came around and built a world class refinery under how many years?? If just Lagos, Ogun and maybe Ondo who are bordered by oil rich communities and collaborated and built just one refinery in the past years, do you know how many jobs would've been created.....hence the number of taxpayers in each state?? If they'd planned and laid inter-city train tracks across the nation do you know how many jobs that woulda created. All this politicians do is build hotels, fuel stations, clubs and some small businesses here while they invest the billions of dollars in the Emirates, Europe and the Americas....in most cases I don't even call it investments but unnecessary lavishness and show of opulence around the world.

Soon enough they'll all meet their Waterloo.....e remain small, just small.

How are the majority unemployed? Many Nigerians are engaged in doing one thing or the other as a means of livelihood. Do you know that collecting house rent is a means of income for landlords that should be taxed? How about the many Nigerians running Fish Farms, Poultry Farms, Schools, food businesses etc? People buy things and sell them online or in the open markets etc. What I am postulating is that people should pay something every month as their tax to the government, no matter how small. Don't wait for the tax office or tax man to harass you before you drop something. Even if it is 3000 Naira you can pay every month, pay it to the relevant tax authorities. If we can all pay our taxes on the work of our hands every month, then we can make demands on the government. Then we have the right to protest and ask the government to support every citizen adequately during this pandemic period. Less than 5 Million Nigerians out of about 200 Million Nigerian Citizens pay their tax to the government. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Nobody: 3:49pm On Apr 22, 2020
When I eventually travel out
I doubt even if my dead body will come back to this Nigeria
Because some people here will not let the body rest in peace digging the body for all sort of rituals angry
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by salam8528: 4:27pm On Apr 22, 2020
Superjazz:

Mr Salam I see y you Muslims in Nigeria are dying of illiteracy poverty and hate.who told you people are paying tax during covid-19 lockdown.truely they say
ISLAMBAD!!!!
I can see how stupid and bigoted ur brain is, who is talking about recent tax or is this period the only time people pay tax annually?
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by salam8528: 4:28pm On Apr 22, 2020
OyinO:

The remaining 30% is still better than your stupid country's 0%.
U min ur stupid region?
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Olufemiolaolu(m): 4:31pm On Apr 22, 2020
kikero:
Hmm

Canada's budget this year is $355 billion for 24 million people.

Nigeria's budget this year is $26 billion for 200 million people.

And you expect Nigeria to give palliative of N626000 naira per person or per family?

Nigeria is a mess, but we are not up to Canada's level. Vote for governments who would make us an industrial nation, then we can talk.

To all those people cursing Nigeria up-thread...yes, we have had corrupt governments. But there is no way our government can afford to give stimulus of N626,000 naira to everyone. Not on our budget,without taking even more mega loans.

Modified

Even giving 100million Nigerians N50000 each a month would involve spending the equivalent of our budget for the year in one month.($26 Billion)
The truth of the matter is our currency has no value.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by oloworisedeji12(m): 4:42pm On Apr 22, 2020
Na dis one den dey call COUNTRY (CANADA). No be dis jungle (nigeria) wey we dey. GOD bless CANADA.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by AngelicBeing: 4:48pm On Apr 22, 2020
Righteousness89:
This world is not my home I'm just a passing through,
My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue,
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door,
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore..

Oh lord you know I have no friend like you
If heaven's not my home then lord what will I do
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore
grin

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Superjazz: 5:24pm On Apr 22, 2020
salam8528:
I can see how stupid and bigoted ur brain is, who is talking about recent tax or is this period the only time people pay tax annually?
Haha look at this chief hypochrite accusing someone of been a bigot.can you vote osinbajo or an Igbo man for president look at you crying foul.let me tell you hate and bigotry can never make an average nigerian muslim to progress they will always suffer that's their destiny.and no Muslim country will ever be a superpower to rival the USA if you like cry blood while praying 1000 times daily knocking your heads to the ground IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by themaestro08(m): 7:10pm On Apr 22, 2020
salam8528:

Such a stupid comment!

No where in this world is taxation beyond 57%. Further more this is an aid so technically its tax-free.

Mumu wet no get sense...Nigeria madness has don't make you see mediocrity as a norm

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Arrested, Extradited To Nigeria, Arrived Nigeria On Sunday / Orji Uzor Kalu’s 400-Room Mansion In Igbere, Abia State (Photos) / Images From Kaduna Lockdown. Share Pictures From Your State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.