Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,273 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats (3049 Views)

A Book Referencing App I Created / Review My App I Built From Scratch / Result Checking Portal For Pry N Secondary Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Emmyloyalty: 4:22pm On Apr 21, 2020
Hello programmers and developers in the house. I built this web app for checking COVID-19 stats in every country of the world. The features it displays include: total cases, total recovery, total death, today's cases, today's death and today's recovery. On the web app, you'd get updates at any period of the day even before the NCDC send theirs — which they usually do at the end of each day (at night).

It was built using the HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript technologies. The data displayed there was fetched from an API.

Please check it out.
https://covid19me.netlify.app/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Taofeekdboy(m): 11:25pm On Apr 21, 2020
Good job bro, but there are some few stuffs you need to check.
1. You can improve the UI such that when you make a call to the api, you can display a spinner or loading image that will make the user understand that result is coming in.

2. I don't know if you created the app through pure vanilla Javascript or React but after selecting the country, the state of the data does not change until another click on the country, you can re-render your state or data after selecting the country.
If you can make those little changes bro.. It will make it much more better.
You did a good job bro...

2 Likes

Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by darkdenizen: 12:11am On Apr 22, 2020
Good one. It is good to know that nigerians are embarking on developmental projects such as this one.

I also initiated a similar project which uses a web scraper to fetch data and make äutomated post to a weblog at the start of covid 19 in nigeria but i am still experiencing challengés with the webscraper.

Do you know about webscraping, can you help. Pls reach out if u can. I will be glad if u can render any form of assistance

2 Likes

Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Emmyloyalty: 7:43am On Apr 22, 2020
Taofeekdboy:
Good job bro, but there are some few stuffs you need to check.
1. You can improve the UI such that when you make a call to the api, you can display a spinner or loading image that will make the user understand that result is coming in.

2. I don't know if you created the app through pure vanilla Javascript or React but after selecting the country, the state of the data does not change until another click on the country, you can re-render your state or data after selecting the country.
If you can make those little changes bro.. It will make it much more better.
You did a good job bro...

Thank you sir. But please how do I include the spinner?
I used vanilla js, but I don't know why you have to click twice before it responds — on system it's just once. What can I do to that?
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Emmyloyalty: 7:49am On Apr 22, 2020
darkdenizen:
Good one. It is good to know that nigerians are embarking on developmental projects such as this one.

I also initiated a similar project which uses a web scraper to fetch data and make äutomated post to a weblog at the start of covid 19 in nigeria but i am still experiencing challengés with the webscraper.

Do you know about webscraping, can you help. Pls reach out if u can. I will be glad if u can render any form of assistance

I'm sorry. I really don't know much about web scrapping.

Let's wait for the elders cheesy cheesy
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Taofeekdboy(m): 8:57am On Apr 22, 2020
Emmyloyalty:

Thank you sir. But please how do I include the spinner?
I used vanilla js, but I don't know why you have to click twice before it responds — on system it's just once. What can I do to that?
About the spinner..
You can create a spinner with css or you can Check for spinner gifs online.
You can use below css for the spinner:
Background:url('' url of the spinner you get from Google or you can create one in your css"" ) no repeat rgba(0,0,0,0.4) 50% 50%;
width:100%;
height:100%;
Top:0
Left:0
Z-index:999
You can use background size property depending on how you want the look.
The rgba is for the opacity such that when the spinner is present, it will make the current page opaque.
You can give the above css a class name or id
make the display none at first.
In your Javascript function, when you call the api, you can then display the class or id of the spinner and after the call, you can set the display to none again.
Example:
let spinner = document.getElementbyID('spinner')
spinner. style.display = none
Inside the function to the make the call, then you set it the display to ''
After the call, you set it back to none
I hope you grab it.

For the responsiveness.
I guess you used a package for the country list, then you have to write a function or do something that will make your function fires on selecting the country immediately.
If I can see the code as well tho.
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Nobody: 6:18pm On Apr 22, 2020
Lovely

I need something similar using node.js and cheerio
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by codeigniter(m): 3:27pm On Apr 23, 2020
darkdenizen:

Python or js
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by darkdenizen: 5:50pm On Apr 23, 2020
codeigniter:

Python or js
i am using php
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by codeigniter(m): 10:16pm On Apr 23, 2020
darkdenizen:

i am using php

I don't know netlify can used to host PHP
I thought u used fetch API or axios for the API call
Nice job
Nepa here keep things slow
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by javaRookie: 6:44pm On Apr 24, 2020
darkdenizen:

What do you need help with?
I use BeautifulSoup4 and Selenium for web scraping
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by darkdenizen: 8:19pm On Apr 24, 2020
javaRookie:

What do you need help with?
I use BeautifulSoup4 and Selenium for web scraping

ok thanks for reaching out. I am using php curl to make a post of twitter api data to another website.
I am facing challenges when trying to post the data. I usually get an error 201 which i think translate to mean temporary redirect. And i cant seem to proceed any further from there.
Have u ever gotten an error 201 in any of ur request. What do u suggest i do
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by javaRookie: 10:28pm On Apr 24, 2020
darkdenizen:

ok thanks for reaching out. I am using php curl to make a post of twitter api data to another website.
I am facing challenges when trying to post the data. I usually get an error 201 which i think translate to mean temporary redirect. And i cant seem to proceed any further from there.
Have u ever gotten an error 201 in any of ur request. What do u suggest i do
Maybe you have reached your daily limit of requests to the API.
I haven't yet tried the Twitter API tho but once got such messages when using the YouTube api. I made lots of requests to it on the coding phase via trials and modifications.
When I now had a working code, I received some 500 error response saying some token blah blah blah limit was reached for the day.
Had to wait till the next day.
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by darkdenizen: 11:39pm On Apr 24, 2020
javaRookie:

Maybe you have reached your daily limit of requests to the API.
I haven't yet tried the Twitter API tho but once got such messages when using the YouTube api. I made lots of requests to it on the coding phase via trials and modifications.
When I now had a working code, I received some 500 error response saying some token blah blah blah limit was reached for the day.
Had to wait till the next day.

nope, i dont think twitter api works same way as youtube or other google apis that have daily limits unless u pay. With twitter api u can make unlimited request. But thats not even the issue cos my twitter api data parses very well. The only challenge i am facing is when i am making a post request with php cURL to send the data i grabbed from twitter to another website.

But since u code with python there might be little u can offer in terms of assistance regarding my code. I will just take my case to stackoverflow and see if i will get help from there.
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Abcruz(m): 1:55pm On Apr 25, 2020
Nice work!
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Bloggingscope: 2:45pm On Apr 25, 2020
Brilliant
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Emmyloyalty: 8:26pm On Apr 25, 2020
Abcruz:

Nice work!

Thank you.
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Emmyloyalty: 8:27pm On Apr 25, 2020
Bloggingscope:
Brilliant

Thank you.
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by demola21(m): 8:42pm On Apr 25, 2020
Nice work.

But I feel you need to work on the mobile responsiveness. On mobile devices the elements are not properly stacked (aligned).
Secondly I feel the logo on mobile is too large
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by vezycash(m): 11:09pm On Apr 25, 2020
Good job. Don't worry too much about the looks. The simplest action you can take to make the page look better is to add margins to the left and right sides of the page.

Use percentages for the margins instead of px. That way, it'll look good on both small and large screens.

Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by chingle5(m): 11:57pm On Apr 25, 2020
Emmyloyalty:
Hello programmers and developers in the house. I built this web app for checking COVID-19 stats in every country of the world. The features it displays include: total cases, total recovery, total death, today's cases, today's death and today's recovery. On the web app, you'd get updates at any period of the day even before the NCDC send theirs — which they usually do at the end of each day (at night).

It was built using the HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript technologies. The data displayed there was fetched from an API.

Please check it out.
https://covid19me.netlify.app/

Cc Lalasticlala

chairman abeg hw long have you been learning this technology cos i just started learning it so i want to have and estimate understanding of how long it will take me to learn it
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Emmyloyalty: 12:02pm On Apr 26, 2020
demola21:
Nice work.

But I feel you need to work on the mobile responsiveness. On mobile devices the elements are not properly stacked (aligned).
Secondly I feel the logo on mobile is too large

Okay. Noted. I will look into it. Thank you sir.
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Emmyloyalty: 12:03pm On Apr 26, 2020
vezycash:
Good job. Don't worry too much about the looks. The simplest action you can take to make the page look better is to add margins to the left and right sides of the page.

Use percentages for the margins instead of px. That way, it'll look good on both small and large screens.

Oh. Alright sir. Thank you sir.

1 Like

Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Emmyloyalty: 12:03pm On Apr 26, 2020
chingle5:

chairman abeg hw long have you been learning this technology cos i just started learning it so i want to have and estimate understanding of how long it will take me to learn it

It doesn't take long if you put your passion and all into it.
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by chingle5(m): 12:32pm On Apr 26, 2020
Emmyloyalty:

It doesn't take long if you put your passion and all into it.

chairman the thing is css hv been giving me problem and i just can get pass it and i have been learning this stuff for a very long time
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by bet9ja(m): 12:34pm On Apr 26, 2020
You have done well. But you can do better with the UI/UX. I will suggest you use bootstrap 4 to improve with the UI. For the UX, you need to implement a proper data binding, that will allow the selected Country data to be pupolated as the dropdown value changes per country selected. A function that will always present a loader and delay the data for 4 seconds .

Link to spinner:
https://www.w3schools.com/howto/tryit.asp?filename=tryhow_css_loader

Call the css class with a function and terminate it after4 sec before showing your data.

I do understand that this is just a dummy project. You need to put more effort and add it to your profile. Hence, perfection is highly needed.

Here is a weather app I built as a dummy project. oCloud is currently in production as I deployed it through Firebase as a PWA
https://www.ocloud-app. web. app

1 Like

Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Emmyloyalty: 4:22pm On Apr 26, 2020
chingle5:

chairman the thing is css hv been giving me problem and i just can get pass it and i have been learning this stuff for a very long time

Chief, just keep trying. Watch video tutorials, read PDFs and practice.
But CSS shouldn't be that of a problem. Have you started JS?
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Emmyloyalty: 4:27pm On Apr 26, 2020
bet9ja:
You have done well. But you can do better with the UI/UX. I will suggest you use bootstrap 4 to improve with the UI. For the UX, you need to implement a proper data binding, that will allow the selected Country data to be pupolated as the dropdown value changes per country selected. A function that will always present a loader and delay the data for 4 seconds .

Link to spinner:
https://www.w3schools.com/howto/tryit.asp?filename=tryhow_css_loader

Call the css class with a function and terminate it after4 sec before showing your data.

I do understand that this is just a dummy project. You need to put more effort and add it to your profile. Hence, perfection is highly needed.

Here is a weather app I built as a dummy project. oCloud is currently in production as I deployed it through Firebase as a PWA
https://www.ocloud-app. web. app

Thank you chief. I will work on the UI/UX design. Thank you for the spinner link. Although, the url to your dummy project is not going through — invalid domain.
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by chingle5(m): 6:36pm On Apr 26, 2020
Emmyloyalty:

Chief, just keep trying. Watch video tutorials, read PDFs and practice.
But CSS shouldn't be that of a problem. Have you started JS?

no css3 is a pain in the head
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by Emmyloyalty: 12:40am On Apr 27, 2020
chingle5:

no css3 is a pain in the head

It's worth the troubles. Trust me.
Re: See The Web App I Made For Checking COVID-19 Stats by chingle5(m): 10:45am On Apr 28, 2020
Emmyloyalty:

It's worth the troubles. Trust me.

okk I will still continue tanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hotel Booking And Reservation Assignment For A 200level Student (c++). / 12 Year-old Nigerian Bags Sun's Java Certificate / Can Not Run My Applet In A Web Browser

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.