Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,481 members, 7,770,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:44 AM

Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms (3071 Views)

Does Islam View the World's Tallest Building in Jeddah As a Sign of End Times? / What Does Islam Teach About 'Luck'? / What Does Islam Say About Abortion,can Allah Forgive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by doncartel: 12:47pm On Jun 07, 2007
My old uncle [mother's sister's husband's elder brother] lives at cotonou with two big shops there and everyone is greatly afraid of him because of his magical and spiritual skill.Apart from the normal skills like magic money and bullet proof,he is on record as having been seen in four places at the same time[all confirmed] as well as many diappearances.He has a small farm near cotonou but i would say the place has more tortoises than chickens.The house is so full of spiritual stuff in fact one time we were there he wanted to give us money and mistakenly brought out some indian charms.One of his children is now a full time spiritualist in cotonou who lives beside a highly feared and mysterious river and his dad is very proud of him.The funny thing is that this same man is one of the most devout muslims i've ever seen.He is forever quoting the koran and never misses his prayers.Everything he does and says is full of islamic references.He celebrates all muslim holidays by buying meat for muslims and doing other charity.He is seen as a pillar of islam in the community and carries himself as such
This is not the first time i've seen this type of mix-up especially in south-western nigeria and it has gotten me confused.You may see fetish christians but you can't hear of a public born-again christian who dabbles in such things openly.Whereas among muslims,such fetish people are best friends to the imam or even competing with the imam in magical ability.Islam is now seen as one respectable religion where you can practice your paganism and demonism freely.Why are you muslims so relaxed on this or does islam really allow it
Re: Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by nossycheek(f): 1:48pm On Jun 07, 2007
doncartel:

This is not the first time i've seen this type of mix-up especially in south-western nigeria and it has gotten me confused.You may see fetish christians but you can't hear of a public born-again christian who dabbles in such things openly.Whereas among muslims,such fetish people are best friends to the imam or even competing with the imam in magical ability.Islam is now seen as one respectable religion where you can practice your paganism and demonism freely.Why are you muslims so relaxed on this or does islam really allow it

This may seem as a surprise to you but are widely accommodated in Islam, the religion of peace. And even in the North and West, they are widely practiced. The alfas in the West are notorious for their diabolical acts which are openly practiced that one is left in doubt what more to expect.
Re: Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by mukina2: 2:00pm On Jun 07, 2007
@ topic

no cool
Re: Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by olutomiwa(m): 2:48pm On Jun 07, 2007
mukina2:

@ topic

no cool
you[b] LIED[/b].yes it DOES,if not why is it that your mallams,alfas and MOST OF UR MEMBAS INDULGE themselves in it[/b]maybe you dont{which i [b]DOUBT}
Re: Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by mukina2: 2:49pm On Jun 07, 2007
olutomiwa:

you[b] LIED[/b].yes it DOES,if not why is it that your mallams,alfas and MOST OF UR MEMBAS INDULGE themselves in it[/b]maybe you don't{which i [b]DOUBT}

i still say no cool
Re: Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by barikade: 3:02pm On Jun 07, 2007
olutomiwa:

you[b] LIED[/b].yes it DOES,if not why is it that your mallams,alfas and MOST OF UR MEMBAS INDULGE themselves in it[/b]maybe you don't{which i [b]DOUBT}

I actually don't think she is lying. Let's look at it this way:

The questions is if Islam allows magic and charms - does the religion of Islam itself contain and promote these things?

Some of us may think it does; but then the next question would be: WHERE does the Qur'an teach such?

I think one should carefully weigh this issue. It is like sadly the same position that some muslims assume: they make assumptions based on what they see so-called "Christians" do, and from them make up their minds that Christianity allows such things. Sadly, they may not have read the facts in the Bible itself as disavowing such.

It is also true that some people who profess to be "Christians" visit houses of babalawo, jazzmen, juju rituals, etc. Muslims that I know have seen these things, and unfortuantely tried to use it to knot me up when we discuss. But mt answer has always been simple: please show me where in the Bible such a thing is part of the Christian faith.

In the same way, I will not claim to have read all of the Qur'an as I should read it. But in all honesty, I haven't come across any verses in the Qur'an where such a thing is taught as part of the Muslim faith. Perhaps, it is there and I missed it: could any knowledgeable discussant point them out?

Regards.  smiley
Re: Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by thesilent1(m): 3:14pm On Jun 07, 2007
jazzmen

LOL! i have not heard that since secondary school in benin!!!

reminds me of Anini!!!!! grin
Re: Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by doncartel: 5:54pm On Jun 07, 2007
wise words bari kade but sometimes what people read in their holy books may be different from what they practice.would you be surprised if an aladura man,cele,serafim or jesu oyingbo is using charms?it is still the same bible that they are reading like the real christians

it is all about the practices and ideas that have been allowed into the mainstream of any group of people and muslims have allowed these things to become so widespread in their religion from top to bottom.in other words magic and charms may not be mentioned in the koran but they could have accepted it
Re: Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by goodguy(m): 10:11pm On Jun 07, 2007
Thanks bari_kade, for that wonderful piece. You're breath of fresh air on this thread.
Re: Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by dinnerm(f): 12:20pm On Jun 08, 2007
yes,they do.
Re: Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by TellyB(m): 8:19am On Jun 11, 2007
Hmmm. I've tried to look into this topic and wonder if the Qur'an remotely suggests that it allows magic or charms. Haven't come across any.

But it might be a different story when we look into the Hadiths. Many of us are familiar now with some of the hadiths that record Mhammad was under the influence of some migical powers at some point in his career.

However, Qur'an and Hadiths may not suggest that Islam as a religion allows such practices. I only wonder where some 'Muslims' get the idea that soaking a page of the Qur'an in water and drinking it may have some supernatural powers. undecided
Re: Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by mrpataki(m): 1:17am On Jun 12, 2007
I dont think so oh, but better put, am not sure undecided
Re: Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by TellyB(m): 11:40am On Jun 12, 2007
It may not - and so, perhaps, that's why we can say we're not sure! smiley
Re: Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by mukina2: 12:19pm On Jun 12, 2007
i wonder why the chei of islam haters havnt posted yet undecided grin
Re: Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by babs787(m): 5:26pm On Jun 12, 2007
@bari_kade,

Thanks for the wonderful post.
Re: Does Islam Allow Magic And Charms by barikade: 7:15pm On Jun 12, 2007
babs787:

@bari_kade,
Thanks for the wonderful post.

I should rather be thanking every reasonable reader and contributor on the Forum - from whom I have leart so much (goodguy, my thanks as well).

Perhaps, it might be a good opportunity to state this: if any post is going to make sense at all, it should be devoid of wild passions that debate topics without considering their contexts. Unfortunately, we don't find this happening quite often.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Muslim Beggars Collect "Infidels" Money / Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years / OMG! Fatwa By Ayatollah Khomeini Of Iran.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.