Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,935 members, 7,835,117 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) (23600 Views)

Hell Razor - Thriller, Suspense, Mystery+Extreme Violence ( Adult Content ) / Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / Story, Love Happens By Laura (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 10:07pm On Jun 18, 2020
crossfm:
you are really doing a great job.I'm the president of ghost readers association but,just renounced my position now.
Your diction is what glued me to the story. Patiently waiting for the next update.
More ink to your pen.
Osheyyy!!
Thank you Boss. *Winks*
Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 10:17pm On Jun 20, 2020
"Chinyere, is the food ready?" She said in false cheerfulness as she yanked the door wide open, the door making a creak as it did.

"yesss!" She said throwing her hands up, as she waggled her hips, "All is set!"

"You look nice in that night gown of yours" Chinyere said, as she grabbed a plate and ladle.

"Thank you" She said with a sad grimace, turning her face away, as a thought of the monster ran across her mind of a sudden, telling of her hair smelling nice.

"So is this enough for you?" Chinyere said, snapping her out of her reverie, after serving her 3 spoons of food.

"Yes, but please reduce it" Tolani said.

"You that would finish 5 servings of beans in a sitting normally" Chinyere chuckled as she mouched a spoon out of her plate into the pot. "What happened today now?"

"So, yeah, this is yours" She said as she handed her plate to her after serving the dodo, she collected it and made her way to the dining.

"Thank you Mabel" Kayode said to her in a cheerful manner, after the closing remarks "I would be off now"

"No, I should do thanking!" She said "Let myself and Lois see you off."

"Alright" He said as they strolled out of the theatre, the noise made by the music blarring the speakers reducing as they left.

"Where is your car?"

"Little issues with it." He said smiling. "I would call down an Uber now"

"Why an Uber, when either myself or Lois could take you home?" She asked.

Laughing slightly, he said, "You shouldn't bother"

"C'mon!"

"I should have taken you home myself, but I need to settle things now" She said, "So Lois would take you down home"

"Thank you, but you guys really don't have to make a fuss about it, the Uber would be around soon"

"If you have called him, better tell him to go back" She chuckled, "Lois, go and pick your things inside, so you can take Kayode home"

"Mabel, you haven't changed" He laughed. "Thank you sha"

Lois picking her stuffs, marched down to her car, opened the door, kicked started the engine into life, then swerved in front of Mabel and Kayode.

"Bye! "

After driving the streets of Ikeja for few minutes, in silence, Lois soon broke the silence, "Sir, I've been wondering why you haven't published a book yet with all the publicity you have already"

He laughed, then started, "Well, I'd just started on last week"

"Osheyy!" She blurted out.

Soon, they were in front of his home at the Victoria Island, he came out of the vehicle, and thanked her.

Drained and distressed, he waved her goodbye, as she made a U-turn, her car making a screeching sound, as sped down to her apartment in Lekki.
Then he opened the gate as he checked the time on his wrist watch. Wheww! It was 9:15pm.

"Oga welcome ooh" The gate man yulped out

"Thank you" Kayode replied as he strolled up the house entrance. The sound coming from the Generator's house deafening.

"Oga wetin you bring come naa"

"John, abeg free me."

Opening the door to the house open, he lurched up toward his bedroom only to hear his dad, howling his name, "Oluwa-Kayode"

"Where are you coming from?" Mr Randy said gruffly as he stood up from his seat.

"From a friends book launching ceremony" He said in a perpetually tired voice.

"You see" He said. "It's all these connecting with your fellow poor writers you are keep wasting your time doing"

"Daddy please!" He told off then walked off.

"So, I am the one you are talking to like that right?"

"Mummy Kayode, do you see what you have caused?" He cringed at his mum.

"You spoilt this boy."

"Anyways, you can go to sleep, it's never your fault. I expect my feedback on you join Barrister Adedayo's Chambers latest on Monday." He bellowed, not caring if he heard.

As he entered his room, a thought of calling Tolani soon ran through his mind. Shoving his hand into his pocket, he brought out his phone and dialed her number.

"So, my Kayode gists ooh" Chinyere said as Tolani's phone rang repeatedly while she sat down aloof, without picking the call.

"Tolani, why are you not picking your calls now?" Chinyere asked as she stretched to check out who called.

"Kayode?!" She blurted out. "Osheyy! You are already giving your selves goodnight calls."

Tolani glaring at her, scoffed "See, please, just leave me alone with your Kayode talks."

"You have started again" Chinyere said with gentle remonstrance, "Gist me joor"

Sadness tearing at her chest, with tears spilling down her cheeks, as the alarm clock rung repeatedly while she tossed frantically on her bed. It was Monday again!

Finally rising up from her bed, she held her head in hands, shuddered a scream as her shoulders trembled. Despair dragged her down.

Soon tired from crying, she raised her head to check the time on the clock. Behold it was 7:04am. Man! Well, whatever that wants to happen should happen. She swore under her breath, as she rose up from the bed, pulled off her night gown as it fell down to her feet, while she wound a towel round her.

Then she lumbered up to the bathroom, yanked the door open wide, turned on the claw head bath tub, as the water cascaded down, as she felt floating.

Soon she turned off the bath tub, dried, her body with a towel, strolled up into her room, wore her clothes, shook out her hair, then twirled it into a pony tail,and gave herself a look on her mirror.

Quickly, she picked up her bag, and sauntered out of the room.

She was soon at the publishing house as she walked up to the reception. Signed in. She resumed by 9:00am.

As she made her way to her office, she suddenly heard her name; turning her neck to see who it was she realised it to be Kayode: Standing tall in the hallway, her vision blurring with images of her abuser.

"Good morning sir"

"Good morning" He said, as plucked at the cuff of his shirt, "You arrived really late today"

"I'm sorry sir, I woke up a bit late" She said in a level way.

"Owk, it's no problem" He said. "Do make sure to come earlier"

Just then his phone rang, and on checking the caller ID, he realised it to be his Dad; Mr Randy.

"A minute please" He said to Tolani, as he slid up the receive call option.

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by Adeola25(f): 10:43pm On Jun 20, 2020
Thanks for the update.

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 12:22am On Jun 21, 2020
Adeola25:
Thanks for the update.
You are welcome! *Hugs*
Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by crossfm: 3:28pm On Jun 21, 2020
Tolani needs to talk to someone. If she continue to bottle up all her emotions,then she may never heal.The fact that she kept the rape incident away from chinyere,is a wrong move for me.Chinyere has always confided in her,she should at list let her in.
She is a time bomb at the moment and I don't see her falling in love anytime soon.

Op thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 2:14pm On Jun 22, 2020
crossfm:
Tolani needs to talk to someone. If she continue to bottle up all her emotions,then she may never heal.The fact that she kept the rape incident away from chinyere,is a wrong move for me.Chinyere has always confided in her,she should at list let her in.
She is a time bomb at the moment and I don't see her falling in love anytime soon.

Op thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Hmmm...
Thank you Boss, and you are very much welcome! *Winks*
Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by blackmarya(f): 4:03pm On Jun 23, 2020
I was attracted by the tittle of the story...BTW why will Tolani keep quiet abt such incident when she has someone to confide in, make she no sha get belle like this.

Weldon Mr Op

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 7:35pm On Jun 23, 2020
blackmarya:
I was attracted by the tittle of the story...BTW why will Tolani keep quiet abt such incident when she has someone to confide in, make she no sha get belle like this.

Weldon Mr Op
You are wondering too baa? We all hope O.

Thank youuuu! *Hugs*

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 7:35pm On Jun 23, 2020

"Hello Daddy" He said into the phone, a line etched on his forehead as he jammed his hand into his pocket.

"Kayode, you still haven't gotten back to me on your decision to either combine writing with law or dump writing" Mr Randy bossed.

"I am currently with Barrister Adedayo" He added

"Daddy, please, we shouldn't be doing this on the phone.
Not in this manner"

"E ma gba mi ke? Kayode?
So, I am the one doing things in a wrong manner?"

"That's not what I meant." He said

"Idiot!, So, tell me, are you leaving my house or you are resuming with Barrister Adedayo tomorrow?"

"Daddy, please let's discuss this at home" He told off as he ended the call, placed his phone on airplane mode then shoved it into his pockets.

"I'm sorry about that" He said, to which she didn't respond to. Ooh God!
She was lost in thoughts full of deep regrets and piercing grief.

"TOLANI?!" He raised the volume of his voice snapping her out of dreaminess, as she cringed.
"Heyy" He chuckled.

"I'm sorry sir"

"Ooh, it's no problem" He smiled.

"Just see in my office in the next three hours for a little discourse on the book reviews and sale improvements"

"Okay Sir" She said in a level way as shame corroded her inside.

On leaving Kayode, she hobbled into her office, yanking the door open, her breath quickened!

Gripping the edge of the table she bit back a scream, as she felt sorrow closing up her throat and bitter tears dripping down her face.
What she felt was a mix of confusion, extreme sense of guilt and spine-spiralling-fear! Why really does she have to be the one? She questioned.

Holding her head in her hand, as to drive those memories off, she plodded into the sofa!

Just there as she wailed, Ms Abdullahi strolled into the office without her noticing.

"Tolani?" Ms Abdullahi called her, her face puzzled, Tolani sprawled out, startled as she floundered in embarrassment.

"What is wrong dear?" She said in a voice soft with affection as she settled on the sofa beside her.

"I'm fine" She said admist sobs. "Please don't bother"

"What is it? Tell me?" She said in a chiding tone, as she wrapped her arm around her.

"Fatimah, please don't worry" She said even as tears shimmered in her eyes, "I would be fine"

"Ooh God" She sobbed

"Tolani, please tell me. What is it?" She asked as she slid her a curious look.

"I was RA-A-PED-DD-D" She cried, her body feeling leaden.

"Yeeee" She shouted as her face went pink. "Audhubillahi!!!"

"When? How?" She said depressingly, her heart wrecked as she drew her closer to her self in a mother-daughter manner.

"Have you gone to a hospital ?"

"No, I haven't. Planned going after work today"

"Okay, I would accompany you" She said. "I have a doctor friend at Oluade Private Hospital, just a stone throw from here"

"Kpom Kpom Kpom" Lois knocked on the door leading to Kayode's office, lust glittering in her eyes.

"Come in" Kayode said, raising his chin, as he typed even faster.

"Good morning sir"

"Good morning" He said as he continued typing.

"You sent for me sir"

"Ooh, yes, it's about the magazine" He stopped typing, leaned into his chair, crossing his ankle in front of him.

"Okay sir." She said.

"I did my final editing last week" He said, "I would want you to check it out too"

"Okay, it's no problem sir" She said as she smiled.

"I would send it into your email now"

"Also, Mr Babatunde would be coming back from the US today, he called me, told me about three authors who pitched their books for publishing. They are good writers anyways. All award winners."

"So here are photocopies of each book-package" He said handing her a brown envelope. "The usual, you know, first three chapters and book summary"

"I read them last night though."

"I found two of them really intriguing but then just go through them so we can discuss!"

"Okay, sir"

"And yesss, Thanks for the lift last Saturday."

"C'mon! Don't mention." She said, placing her palm on her chest "It's nothing."

"And my regards to Mabel" He said giving her a wink.

"And also, Kayode do you care for lunch this weekend?" She said, "Would be asking Mabel to come over"

"Hmmm, I'm honestly busy!" He said, "Really stuck into lots of projects I am working on."

"Working on my Book, then Spirit, Soul and Body!"

"Ehen, ehen" She gave him a guarded look, "So you are now buffing me off"

"No" He said firmly, "I am really busy and that's it."

"So, what about Chinyere?" Ms Abdullahi rose up soon after Tolani calmed, "Have you told her?"

"No joor" She said. "I just felt it wasn't necessary"

"Why?" She said as she dragged the chair to her desk to sit as it made a noisy sound "But it happened at her place"

"Woh, it's not just necessary" She giggled, "You wouldn't have known too if you didn't meet me crying."

"What has happened has happened" She said she gave a lopsided grin.

"All I need now is peace and to move on with my life."

"Yes, it has happened but you need people to help you you move"

"And the Police?"

"Wetin dem wan do? Abegggi!" She said as she shook out her hair, "I would be fine, don't worry"

"Owk ooh, so, do you have anything to work on that I can help you out with it?" She said as she opened her laptop.

"Nothing really. Just, few unreplied mails since Saturday for book requests. I would send in replies now. Just don't worry" She said faking a smile.

Just then, her phone rang. Checking the caller ID, it was an unknown number. Wondering who it could be, she slid up the receive call option;

"Hello" She said into the phone.

"Hello Tolani, please hear me out this time. This is Femi, and I need you to please help me reach out to Ch---"

"Femi or whatever is your name!, Are stupidly crazy?? I SAID STOP CALLING MY LINE" She carped as she ended the call immediately.

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by crossfm: 9:35pm On Jun 23, 2020
Just like I predicted, she is a time bomb waiting to explode. She really need chinyere to pull through this difficult phase in her life.talking to people that care for you in time of depression is a wonderful therapy.
Thanks op

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by Adeola25(f): 9:57pm On Jun 23, 2020
Thank God she talked to someone, but she should have told Chinyere though and Mr Randy should let Kayode be jare. Well-done and thanks for the update.

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by kalajina(m): 10:04pm On Jun 23, 2020
to to togirl please go to hospital

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 12:12am On Jun 24, 2020
crossfm:
Just like I predicted, she is a time bomb waiting to explode. She really need chinyere to pull through this difficult phase in her life.talking to people that care for you in time of depression is a wonderful therapy.
Thanks op
You are welcome! *Hugs*
Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 12:15am On Jun 24, 2020
Adeola25:
Thank God she talked to someone, but she should have told Chinyere though and Mr Randy should let Kayode be jare. Well-done and thanks for the update.
Yeah , Thank God she did! You are welcome! *Winks*
Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 12:24am On Jun 24, 2020
kalajina:
to to togirl please go to hospital
Abiii...
But she said she plans to go after work naah? *Winks*
Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by becca2017(f): 9:18am On Jun 24, 2020
Hmm.. thanks for the update cool

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 7:36pm On Jun 24, 2020
becca2017:
Hmm.. thanks for the update cool
You are welcome! *Hugs*

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 8:28pm On Jun 27, 2020
"Who was that?"

"Ooh, it's nothing much" She said as her frown suddenly transformed into a smile.

"Are you sure?"

"It's actually nothing. It's a friend I am not on good terms with."

Tolani placed her hand on her heart as though to chill her souls out as she knocked on his door.

"Come in" Kayode said as he increased his typing speed.

"So yes, I called for you." He looked up as she strolled into his office. "You can sit."

"Yesss, so, how is Jaja Marris' Tales Of Lagos' sales now?"

"Really improved sir" She said in a level way as she opened the reports file. "Even more than the last time we talked about it sir"

"Okay, Well done." He said as he gave her a thumbs up, "Mr Babatunde, would be arriving Nigeria from the States today. So, please I would want you to prepare all sales reports, including how the book review helped in promoting the sales"

"Okay sir, I would do just that.
It's a just little part of the report that's yet to be completed."

"Okay good"

Then he added, "And your book series, what's up? You didn't send me your draft last weekend for editing?"

"Yes, please I am sorry sir, was a little down, so I couldn't complete the draft" She said in a dry tone.

"Owk, it's no problem. You can send as soon as you are ready!"

"Thank you sir!" She said, her forehead suddenly puckering, an etch forming as her stomach suddenly heaved.

"Hey, are you Owk?" He said with quiet empathy setting his hand on the table his palms raised up.

"Yes, I am fine, just a little stomach upset" She said as she fought the urge to throw up.

"Please make sure you see the Doctor" He said with a sense of affection, "You can go, that's all I called you for"

"Hey! Fatii, Stomach ache ooh" Tolani said as she entered the office, her hands clutching her stomach.

"He he" Ms Abdullahi said, "Please let's just go to the hospital now"

On strolling into the hospital, Tolani suddenly felt her breath hitch as she smelt the undertone bleach scent of the hospital.
Just two weeks ago, she was in the hospital to check on Musa, now here she is, for a Medical check up in another. Oh God!

"Tolani, please sit down, let me see that nurse" Ms Abdullahi said to her calmly, snapping her out of her reverie as she pointed to a row of chairs.

"Please, I am asking after Doctor Roberts" Ms Abdullahi said to the nurse at the reception.

"From where?" The nurse asked giving her a curious glance.

"Just tell him, Fatimah" She said smiling.

"Okay ma" She said as she dialed a telephone placed beside a stack of files.

"He said you can come in" She said after a brief conversation on the phone, "His office is at the far end on this row"

"Okay, Thanks" She said as she motioned to Tolani to rise up so they could make their way to Dr Roberts office.

"Kpom Kpom Kpom" Ms Abdullahi knocked.

"Come in" Dr Robert said in a level way.

"Roberttt!" She yelled as she creak-opened the door, stretching out her arm to a hug.

"Fatimahhhh!" He blurted out, hugging back slightly, "Longest time O"

"How is work O?" She asked in a friendly fashion, "Our Doctor!"

"Terribly hectic!" He said in a perpetually tired voice, "We're pulling through sha"

"Ehen, who asked you to study Medicine?" She grinned to which he replied with a chuckle.

"So, what brought you to my domain?" He feigned a British accent.

"Abeggi, what is wrong with you joor?"

"Well, meet my friend Tolani." She said smiling.

"You know this increase with this sexual assualt thing" She said, "So sad that she is a victim"

"Ooh God!. I'm really sorry about that Ms Tolani" He said putting a sorry face.

"Thank you" She said, as she perched on edge of the chair, feeling anxious.

"Since she is the one, Fatimah please I would need you to excuse us for a moment" He said, meaning the words more seriously than they sounded, "Abeg no vex"

"No problem now" She said as she strolled up the door.

"Yes, Tolani" He said, "Please, I would be asking you few questions and examine you before placing you on some drugs, I hope that's fine by you." He said to Tolani as he opened a folder.

"No problem sir"

"So, were you able to recognize them?"

"Not at all sir, it was in the dark, It just happened in a flicker. Flash!, he tore my pants, and he forced himself on me" She said as her throat tightened.

"A person?" He asked as his pen danced on a foolscap sheet.

"Yessir"

"And do you still feel pains?"

"Yes, a tingling pain on my vagina" She said.

"Okay, don't worry you would be fine"

"I would give you drugs to prevent a pregnancy and him transferring an STD" He said.

"Owk, sir" She said as worry suddenly snaked at her.

"Also, I would be examining your vagina for bruises now" He said, "Please lie down on that stretcher"

It soon dawned on him that he really wasn't making option-B plans incase his dad decided to go up with his threats. Such careless move he was taking.
Just then, it soon him to call his all time best friend, Muyiwa.

"Doctorrr!" Kayode hollered on the phone as he drummed his fingers on the table.

"How now?" Muyiwa replied him from the other end.

"I dey O my guy!"

"You no even dey ask of person O"

"Baba no vex abeg, na work O " Kayode said in friendly fashion.

"Guy, abeg we get talk O" Kayode added, as he stroked his beards, "I go come you side tomorrow sha"

"Na hospital I go still dey O"

"No problem now" He said, "I would be there"

"How everybody naa?"

"Everybody dey my guy! Your side too?" Kayode crooned.

"We dey O"

"Owk, now, I just talk say make I holler you O"

"Thank you O"

Almost immediately as he ended the call, his phone beeped. It was a text from Kemi. It read:

"Hey Bro, Meet us at the emergency unit in LUTH now. Dad had a cardiac arrest."

Panting hard, he closed his laptop, dialed Lois' number,

"Hello, I need to leave the office now, just incase anyone checks on me"

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by blackmarya(f): 9:44pm On Jun 27, 2020
Hmm mm.....ghen ghen

Ah Tolaaani...Mr Op pls update more now pls

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by becca2017(f): 9:54am On Jun 28, 2020
cryEhhh this one Tolani wanted to "throw up" ehn, I hope all is well o..
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 11:54am On Jun 28, 2020
blackmarya:
Hmm mm.....ghen ghen
Ah Tolaaani...Mr Op pls update more now pls
Tuesday hun... *Winks*
Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 11:55am On Jun 28, 2020
becca2017:
cryEhhh this one Tolani wanted to "throw up" ehn, I hope all is well o..

Thanks for the update
You are welcome *Hugs*

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by centmanuel(m): 5:39pm On Jun 29, 2020
hizeeksheun:
@cassidypat @EvaJael @honourable356 @oyinella @EkopSparoAyara @Electricboy @Adejunwonlo94 @ruboy @centmanuel @dammyd46 @Humbleness @EvaJael
and other literature Nairalanders,
Come and read ooh. *Winks*

So Sad that I have missed alot here cry my phone was bad. I know I came late to class but I m back for good

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 9:29pm On Jun 29, 2020
centmanuel:

So Sad that I have missed alot here cry my phone was bad. I know I came late to class but I m back for good
You are welcome Boss! Trust you have caught up with us.

Next Update drops tomorrow!, Anticipate. *Winks*

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by centmanuel(m): 9:37pm On Jun 29, 2020
I love the twist in the story. I feel sorry for Tolani, Kay placed his phone on flight mood and it has flight mooded his dad's heart cry Please Tolani should check her mail for goodnews. Nice work OP

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 1:58pm On Jun 30, 2020
centmanuel:
I love the twist in the story. I feel sorry for Tolani, Kay placed his phone on flight mood and it has flight mooded his dad's heart cry Please Tolani should check her mail for goodnews. Nice work OP
Thank you! *Broad-Smiles*

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 1:58pm On Jun 30, 2020
His breaths quickened as he put his laptop into his bag, zipped it and grabbed his keys then strode up the door, making his way to his car.
"Pheww!" He huffed. What could have been the cause? He had never been this sickly.
"God please, let him be fine" He prayed as his lips trembled.

He yanked the door of his car open, threw his bag into the passengers' sit, hopped in, turned the key in ignition, a click-click-click noise roaring from the engine. Christ! He slammed the wheel as he swerved!, speeding up the Teaching Hospital.

Kayode on coming down from his vehicle, strolled up the entrance of Emergency Ward, a red tag on the brown polished door, reading EMERGENCY. He could hear groans from a nearby bed, wailings of a lady who'd just lost her husband.
"I hate this!" He moaned. Raising his chin, he looked out for his Dad. Soon he noticed a bed with three doctors perfoming chest compressions to revive an unconscious patient, beads of sweat forming on their foreheads. Narrowing his eyes as looked out for his Dad, he suddenly saw Kemi, in a blue flower-embroideried gown standing beside the-three-doctor team performing chest compressions.

Strolling up the bed as worry gnawed at him, he peered; just there he saw his Dad gasping for breathe.

"Kayode, so you are here already" Kemi said as sorrow clouded her features.

"What happened?" Kayode asked in a curious tone, as anxiety crossed his face.

"I really don't know" She said, "Barrister Adedayo just called me moments ago, telling me of Dad having a cardiac arrest!"

"How and what do you say sir? I'd asked him over the phone. I was shocked" She explained.

"But then, let's hope for him to be fine" She said as she looked askance at him.

"Hmm Owk, a moment please" He said, "I would be outside"

"Phewww! Where did I go wrong? Why is everything going against me?" He leaned against the wall outside the emergency unit as he wondered.

Few hours ago, his dad carped at him against pursuing just writing and leaving Law, now his same dad is lying on his sick bed gasping for breath.
Who knows if it all resulted from the everyday shouting about his career choice?

Now is this Writing really worth all this? Why is he making himself and his dad go through this stress?
Perhaps he tries to combine and see how it goes.

But then he was pursuing what makes his heart sing. Storytelling does that! He remembered how he was never tired of writing despite a low followership back at UNILAG.

"Well, daddy should recover first!" He tried to snap himself off the thoughts as he gave a steeple of his fingers.

Just then he felt a tap on his shoulder, turning his neck, it was Kemi, her eyelids drooping, as she said, "You are still here? What is it?"

"So, how is he now?"

"They said he would be fine" She said.

"I hope so too"

"So, what's up on your plans on joining Barrister Adedayo?"

"Please, forget that now" He said in simple directness.

Her face looking downward as she polished her fingernail, she said, "Please for now, agree to his plea"

"Barrister Adedayo said it happened moments after he spoke with you" She went on, "Bro Kay, please we can't afford to lose him"

"Kemi, what are you saying now?" He said in Yoruba raising his eyebrows.

"The truth" She said in a level tone, "Please I beg to you to stop the arguments and exchange of words with him even after being discharged"

"Kini gbobo nonsense yii bayi?" Kayode snapped.

"What did I tell him on phone?
Just told him that we would talk it at home! What else would I have told him? Please leave me!"

"I don't mean to -"

"I said leave me!"

As she lay down, Dr Roberts soon noticed her narrow lip trembling. In a calm soothing tone, he said to her, as he tapped her by the shoulder, "You are in safe hands, don't worry"

"You would be Okay" He added.

"Hmm, Okay, Thank you Doctor" She mumbled with a sad grimace, as he placed two fingers on her neck. A faint pulse throbbing under his fingers.
Then he observed her wrist, neck and eyes for bruises, while he documented them.

"I would also have to look in here carefully for bruises. I am going to touch you to look a bit more carefully" He said in a gentle manner as he pointed to her pelvis, "Please tell me if you feel any pain"

Fear crossing her face as images of her abuser blurred her vision, she said sounding slightly brittle, "Okay sir"

"Don't be scared, you would be fine" He reassured her as he checked for bruises, cleaned and documented them.

After few minutes, he said to her calmly, "You can rise now"

"So, do you have any form allergy ?" He asked.

"Not at all. Ooh, Chloroquine, yess" She said as she smiled for the first time since she entered the room.

Dr Roberts smiling back, said, "Okay, I would place you on three different drugs to prevent an STD and a Pregnancy"

"You would also go to the Lab for a blood test" He said, "Then you would be good!"

Then he scribbled some insane writings in his jotter, tore it out then handed it over to her, "Take this to the phamarcy"

"Everything we have discussed here is confidential." He said, "I am always here to help you if any issue comes up"

"You would also be seeing Dr Bunmi, a colleague of mine, weekly, she isn't on seat at the moment anyways" He said, "She really nice to be with"

"Okay, Thank you very much sir!" She said as she rose up to go, feeling a bit of relief.

"Tolani dear" Ms Abdullahi hollered as she strutted out, "How did it go?"

"Fine,
Honestly, thank you for everything"

"Don't mention dear" She said, "What are friends for?"

"Awnnn" She hummed, forcing in a smile.

"He gave me a list of drugs to purchase too. I want go and purchase them now"

"Okay, sit down here" Fatimah said in a voice soft with affection, "Let me go and help you get it"

"Thank youu" Tolani said as she settled to a sit. Just then, her phone rang, and she checked the caller ID , she realised it to be Amina, Musa's sister.

"Hello" She said into the phone

"I haven't heard from you lately. You just forgot us like that"

2 Likes

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by centmanuel(m): 7:28pm On Jun 30, 2020
What a friend we have in Fatima. Change of destiny to Kay. it's change of career for a life.
Good job OP, weldone.
Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by crossfm: 1:19pm On Jul 01, 2020
Kayode's father is a typical Nigerian father.most time they do all these out of love,but they don't realise how suffocating it is when you are living another persons dream.
Another reason why some parents do these,is to fulfil their failed aspirations in life.they see themselves in their children.if their children could achieve what the parents failed to,then the parents will be at peace.They do this without considering the effect it will have on the child.
The next group of Nigerian parents,is the once I consider the selfish parents.They are mainly after self gratification.They want to be addressed as papa doctor,papa barrister,papa father etc.That is why most people don't like their jobs.They are wearing another man's shoe.
The ones I pity most are the ones that were aready tagged before they came into the world.some Rev father's and pastors are not doing well spiritually because they were never meant to be men of God,but the presure from their parents kept them where they are today.They can't back out because they don't want to hurt their parents or the society.
Op thanks for the update.

3 Likes

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 12:42am On Jul 02, 2020
crossfm:
Kayode's father is a typical Nigerian father.most time they do all these out of love,but they don't realise how suffocating it is when you are living another persons dream.
Another reason why some parents do these,is to fulfil their failed aspirations in life.they see themselves in their children.if their children could achieve what the parents failed to,then the parents will be at peace.They do this without considering the effect it will have on the child.
The next group of Nigerian parents,is the once I consider the selfish parents.They are mainly after self gratification.They want to be addressed as papa doctor,papa barrister,papa father etc.That is why most people don't like their jobs.They are wearing another man's shoe.
The ones I pity most are the ones that were aready tagged before they came into the world.some Rev father's and pastors are not doing well spiritually because they were never meant to be men of God,but the presure from their parents kept them where they are today.They can't back out because they don't want to hurt their parents or the society.
Op thanks for the update.

You are welcome! *Hugsss*
Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by hizeeksheun(m): 12:43am On Jul 02, 2020
centmanuel:
What a friend we have in Fatima. Change of destiny to Kay. it's change of career for a life.
Good job OP, weldone.
*Winks* You are welcome!

1 Like

Re: TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) by Lamanii22(f): 8:03am On Jul 02, 2020
hizeeksheun:
The Story below is a copyrighted work of Hizeeksheun (Blalock).
No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

This story is a work of fiction. A pure result of my imagination. All incidents and people in this story are fictional and any resemblance to any persons (living or dead), situations or locale is absolutely coincidental.

“Singlets. Singlets for your husband, boyfriend and daddy at shikini price.” The igbo guy was dressed in faded jeans and brown t-shirt a size too small. Drops of sweat had gathered upon his forehead from the dog-heat of an african afternoon. It dripped even now as he strutted in tandem withg thye already moving bus and pushed an unwanted packet of singlets at Tolani. “Buy for your boyfriend na”.

Soon they pulled out of the traffic. The vehicle gave a shudder, a pause and the zoom of an old engine thrown open. It would go through the streets of Ikeja and on to Mile 12, giving a periodic fit at every junction and an upset to her delicate stomach. But it was worth it. Mile 12 held Chinyere's apartment; and Chinyere, God bless her sweet self, had held her heart for a decade now. A friend for any weather, a best friend forever, was worth the convulsions of danfo.

“Owa Oooo” Tolani cried out.

“Owaaaaaaa” other passengers cried out in unison. Riding a bus in Lagos, like everything else, was a community affair.

“Here abi?” The driver brought the car to a screeching halt in front of Chinyere's junction. The occupants lurched forward and Tolani, already on her feet, sprawled over the passenger ahead of her.

“Do fast fast” The driver said.

He was a middle-aged man with scanty goaty and a face rumpled by brawls on the streets. A veritable murderer, she thought to herself. But she bit back a retort and hurried down. The conductor was already screaming Oshodi at the top of his lungs and mildly harassing passers-by. He could jump in the next moment and offer no apology when they drop her ten miles off her destination.

She took a deep breathe when she got down from the bus, crossed the road in the regular daredevilry of lagosians and hailed a bike.

The bikeman turned sharply, and came to a halt by her feet. Why was everyone tryinjg to kill her? Or did he call that “impressive”?

“Where you dey go?” His accent was hausa and warm.

“Behind MY FATHER AND I ARE ONE GOSPEL MINISTRIES” She would have rolled her eyes if she wasn't tired and famished.

“Owk, near Madam's Shukura house, ko?” He was smiling.

“Yes, yes”she was not smiling as she climbed the backseat.

“Öwk, na 250 o!”

Tolani sighed. Why did they always wait until one was seated and reluctant to come down? “Han han, 250 bawo? Na 150 I get abeg”

“Owk na. Why you con dey form before?” He was chiding her but his eyes were a parody of seduction. Hian! She had gist for Chinyere today.

And what would Chinyere be up to? She let her mind wander as the air held her weave in a wave behind her. Would bestie be asleep? No. No, probably on her weekend pastime, the umpteenth rewatch of Beauty and the Beast. It was for kids for Chinyere could be stubborn: “Yea? I'll watch it with my kids when I get married to Shola, so?”

Always there would be the faint pout and raised eyebrows and the twinkle in her eye as though she knew just how illogical she was at the moment and loved it. Ah, how she missed that imp.

“Here ko?” The bike man asked, bringing her out of her reverie.

“Yes! Thank you”Her voice had the purr of anticipation.

She paid and made her way to the self-contained apartment behind the church.

Knock Knock. Her knuckles on mahogany made a pleasant, if hurtful, sound. "Who is there?" screamed a female voice from within. The typical Nigerian response wnould be a "It's me" which rendered such a mundane act an article of faith.

"Human being. Abeg con open gate"Tolani hollered.

"Fish. Hian, what took you so long?" The voice betrayed an intense excitement.

"Is this not Lagos? The lagos you talked me into coming to vist and now, hen!, I have come to stay o. Three hellish hours on the road and such a short distance." She could hear the key twisted in the lock "Girl, I'm tired of your Lagos honestly...the holdups, the razz razz lifestyle everywhwere gets me crazy honestly."

Chinyere opened the gate with a " Omo yi, chill jare, just calm down. Is it not the lagos where I have lived? You will adapt abeg, don't worry" She was patting Tolani on the back in a maternal gesture of reassurance. They had known, eight years ago, who the mom in their relationship was.

" I have heard ooo. All this mother-daughter scenes you keep posing with me ehn. Hmm, please ooh" It was feeble resistance. She smiled and tucked her hair behind her ear even as she said it.

"So how are you now? How is your new job too"Chinyere asked playfully

"Oh it's lovely. Except for the guys who stare. You know na, pretty girl problems"

"Kayode still there"

"Yes and more persistent than ever. I feel his eyes burning a hole in my face whenever I walk past"

"Osheey, somebody is crushing on my baby girl. Plenty gist for me today o."

Awww such a lovely story... Your construction's really satisfactory and you carefully chose your words...

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Throwback: The British Council Library Ibadan In 1964 / The Sex Story / Blue ( Short Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.