Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,301 members, 7,811,895 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:33 PM

Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown (2440 Views)

El-Zakzaky: Shiite Members Protest In Abuja Despite Lockdown, Rock Face Masks / Electricity Tariff To Increase On Wednesday Despite Lockdown In Nigeria / PDP Accuses Buhari, APC Of Renting Crowds At Rally, Blasts Oshiomhole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by TheExecutioner: 10:07am On Apr 23, 2020
Large crowds at Lagos food market despite lockdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC83OEOEz3o

AP Archive
2.54M subscribers

Published on 23 Apr 2020

A large Lagos food market has been struggling to manage crowds amid Nigeria's coronavirus lockdown.
Mile 12, the megacity's largest perishable food market, was yesterday crammed with traders and shoppers elbowing their way through narrow paths sandwiched by huge baskets of tomatoes, with little social distancing in sight.

Femi Odusanya, consultant for the market association, said the challenges were "enormous," and called for the government to "do more to make sure that we keep people safe and (...) at home."

Under a government intiative, the management have set up an offshoot makeshift market in Ogudu, in an attempt to reduce crowds by bringing the produce closer to the communities they serve.

But as desperation mounts, delivery trucks have come under attack, food items stolen and vans damaged.
For Lagos' poor, the priority is getting food onto the table.

"People must eat. I strongly believe that hunger is much more dangerous than the coronavirus so we must do our best to ensure that people get food to eat," said the market association's chairperson Shehu Usman.

Nigeria has confirmed 873 COVID-19 cases and 28 deaths.

For most people, the new coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough that clear up in two to three weeks.

For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia and death.
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by BeStroNG(m): 10:09am On Apr 23, 2020
One of the characteristic of a living thing is feeding. As long as you are alive, feeding must take place.

4 Likes

Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by sammyj: 10:14am On Apr 23, 2020
If this report is true, then we are doomed in Lagos. Imagine people that may have the virus sleeping on the food that will get to our houses! Nigerian don’t listen at all!! shocked shocked
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by daddytime(m): 10:15am On Apr 23, 2020
Wahala dey nationwide
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Wiseandtrue(f): 10:21am On Apr 23, 2020
Approving another 14days with little or no palliatives is suicidal!!!

Instead look for alternatives like provision and enforcement of gloves and mask!!!

Nobody will listen to you when they are hungry!!!
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Flyingngel(m): 10:29am On Apr 23, 2020
If we have a serious government, after this pandemic, there shld be a comprehensive registration of Nigerians through National Identity Card with mandatory registration of birth and death persons online without it no medical, education etcetera while nobody will bury any death with an electronic or offline certificate.
With this government can plan almost accurately when the need arises; but we all know such will never happen courtesy of the NORTHERN PART.

2 Likes

Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Arrewa: 10:32am On Apr 23, 2020
This is getting out of hand!!
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Doriwhally: 10:34am On Apr 23, 2020
Government must make face mask compulsory to prevent this uncle Corona virus.
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Hahahjsbshabab: 10:55am On Apr 23, 2020
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Pierced(f): 11:20am On Apr 23, 2020
It's true ooooo.....mile 12 market is as over crowded as ever.

The people there don't understand the meaning not social distancing.
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Activistman(m): 11:22am On Apr 23, 2020
These people are playing with fire.
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by helinues: 11:23am On Apr 23, 2020
Our government are clueless
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Arrewa: 11:26am On Apr 23, 2020
Pierced:
It's true ooooo.....mile 12 market is as over crowded as ever.

The people there don't understand the meaning not social distancing.
no they do...They're all educated... It's only northerners that don't understand the meaning of social distancing!!

Because they're illiterate!!

1 Like

Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by 9jatriot(m): 11:29am On Apr 23, 2020
Personally, I do not think open markets like this are that bad. Even though it may seem that there are a lot of people, most people just come, buy what they want and go away. The fact that it is open air and not a closed air condition environment also helps.
My opinion is that people come, move and go away, it is not really a static situation where the same set of people stay together for 2 hours.
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Pierced(f): 11:31am On Apr 23, 2020
Arrewa:
no they do...They're all educated... It's only northerners that don't understand the meaning of social distancing!!

That market is dominated by northerners.......like 80 percent of traders there are northerners.
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Jostoman: 11:31am On Apr 23, 2020
sammyj:
If this report is true, then we are doomed in Lagos. Imagine people that may have the virus sleeping on the food that will get to our houses! Nigerian don’t listen at all!! shocked shocked
oga face your side there's nothing like doom here.
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Jostoman: 11:33am On Apr 23, 2020
So you want them to die of hunger abi
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Bevista: 11:58am On Apr 23, 2020
After seeing this, one would think that there's going to be thousands of infections spreading around. These infected persons will go home and then infect their entire households. If the virus is as deadly as MSM want us to believe, It should be the case that we will be hearing about thousands of deaths in the next few weeks. But guess what, that's not going to be the case.

Why is it "ok" to go to the market but not safe to go to work or a restaurant? I read this morning that the PTF head said that the virus cannot be transmitted sexually. I'm wondering why it is safe to have sex but not safe to shake hands.

But surely, when things don't add up and we ask questions, they call us "conspiracy theorists" just to dismiss our pov.

3 Likes

Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by somehow: 8:15pm On Apr 23, 2020
And what about the buyers?
Pierced:

That market is dominated by northerners.......like 80 percent of traders there are northerners.
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Iamgrey5(m): 8:46pm On Apr 23, 2020
Arrewa:

When hunger strikes people would pay less attention to education

We need to go the Ghana/Kenya route of restricted movement without totally shutting our economy.

The government cannot feed half of Nigerians, even if they wanted to.
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Arrewa: 8:52pm On Apr 23, 2020
Iamgrey5:
When hunger strikes people would pay less attention to education

We need to go the Ghana/Kenya route of restricted movement without totally shutting our economy.

The government cannot feed half of Nigerians, even if wanted too.
you're right! I support you on this...Nigeria can't go on a total lockdown for a month!! It's impossible in this side of the world!!

1 Like

Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Kobojunkie: 8:58pm On Apr 23, 2020
9jatriot:
Personally, I do not think open markets like this are that bad. Even though it may seem that there are a lot of people, most people just come, buy what they want and go away. The fact that it is open air and not a closed air condition environment also helps.
My opinion is that people come, move and go away, it is not really a static situation where the same set of people stay together for 2 hours.

And this because you summised that Covid-19 require contacts to have extended periods of exposure to each other to spread to take place?

1 Like

Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Kobojunkie: 9:01pm On Apr 23, 2020
Bevista:
After seeing this, one would think that there's going to be thousands of infections spreading around. These infected persons will go home and then infect their entire households. If the virus is as deadly as MSM want us to believe, It should be the case that we will be hearing about thousands of deaths in the next few weeks. But guess what, that's not going to be the case.

Why is it "ok" to go to the market but not safe to go to work or a restaurant? I read this morning that the PTF head said that the virus cannot be transmitted sexually. I'm wondering why it is safe to have sex but not safe to shake hands.

But surely, when things don't add up and we ask questions, they call us "conspiracy theorists" just to dismiss our pov.
Before you turn to conspiracy theories, be sure to first ensure the source of your information is a sound one to begin with. Yes, it is not sexually transmitted but be sure that inhaling/ingesting droplets from an infected sexual partner will get you quick onto the list of Covid-19 cases out there.
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Pierced(f): 9:31pm On Apr 23, 2020
somehow:
And what about the buyers?

Buyers are normal Lagosians...... Yoruba...... Igbo.....etc.
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Bevista: 9:47pm On Apr 23, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Before you turn to conspiracy theories, be sure to first ensure the source of your information is a sound one to begin with. Yes, it is not sexually transmitted but be sure that inhaling/ingesting droplets from an infected sexual partner will get you quick onto the list of Covid-19 cases out there.
Really? A virus that is so contagious that I have to maintain a 6-foot distance from everyone. I can't shake hands, let alone sneeze around someone. But then, I'm free to engage in coitus interactus which is the closest one can get to another without contracting the virus. So I can exchange fluids (semen, saliva, etc) with another person without being at risk? So, why then are you scaring me with the whole social distancing crap?
---
"I'd rather be called a conspiracy theorist and question everything, than to believe everything the government says, and live to regret it" - Hank
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by somehow: 9:50pm On Apr 23, 2020
From the video, we can now see that the buyers are actually the ones behaving like animals.

see how jammed-packed the market appears? the buyers not even minding the virus doing as if they are shopping for free!
Pierced:

Buyers are normal Lagosians...... Yoruba...... Igbo.....etc.
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Pierced(f): 10:35pm On Apr 23, 2020
somehow:
From the video, we can now see that the buyers are actually the ones behaving like animals.

see how jammed-packed the market appears? the buyers not even minding the virus doing as if they are shopping for free!

Lol..... cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

That's the way the market is on a normal day oooo..... people are not even scared that they will contact the virus.
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by kolotar: 2:02am On Apr 24, 2020
[s]
Arrewa:
you're right! I support you on this...Nigeria can't go on a total lockdown for a month!! It's impossible in this side of the world!!
[/s]
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Kobojunkie: 3:55am On Apr 24, 2020
Bevista:
Really? A virus that is so contagious that I have to maintain a 6-foot distance from everyone. I can't shake hands, let alone sneeze around someone. But then, I'm free to engage in coitus interactus which is the closest one can get to another without contracting the virus. So I can exchange fluids (semen, saliva, etc) with another person without being at risk? So, why then are you scaring me with the whole social distancing crap?
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Let me try this another way for your thick oblongata!!! If you so much as inhale or ingest the dropplets from anyone infected by this virus, you are IT! Now, please properly process this and get back to me that you now have a clear understanding of how what you have above is not correct!
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by eagleu: 4:25am On Apr 24, 2020
Arrewa:

How do you compare social distancing issues between people desperate for food, and the above-the law northerners whose 19 governors have rejected social distancing as a tool against this virus.

BTW, your educated northerners are the ones going to COVID-19 funerals and going home without any sort of personal protective equipment.
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Bevista: 4:59am On Apr 24, 2020
Kobojunkie:

undecided undecided undecided undecided
Let me try this another way for your thick oblongata!!! If you so much as inhale or ingest the dropplets from anyone infected by this virus, you are IT! Now, please properly process this and get back to me that you now have a clear understanding of how what you have above is not correct!

Before you resort to your typical mode of defense - insults, maybe you'll have to explain to me how shaking of hands is dangerous but sex isn't. Does my hand inhale or ingest? Or is there a new technology that makes sex possible by staying 6-feet apart?
Re: Large Crowds At Lagos Food Market Despite Lockdown by Kobojunkie: 5:09am On Apr 24, 2020
Bevista:
Before you resort to your typical mode of defense - insults, maybe you'll have to explain to me how shaking of hands is dangerous but sex isn't. Does my hand inhale or ingest? Or is there a new technology that makes sex possible by staying 6-feet apart?
I don't resort to insults. I simply point out clear deficiencies in the one's reasoning. grin grin grin

Who told you having sex with an infected COVID-19 case is not dangerous? Are you able to have sex without breathing? If you kiss and ingest saliva containing the virus, why are you still coming up blank on what that likely means for you then since saliva is a sense an ocean of DROPLETS cool cool cool

What part of this virus infecting the respiratory system do you not understand? Do you ever touch your face(mouth, eyes, nose, etc) with those same hands of yours anytime after shaking or touching possibly infected surfaces? Do you, at any point, eat anything with those same hands of yours? Did you know that your mouth and lungs are sort of connected in a way? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

(1) (Reply)

Seyi Makinde Is The Best Governor In Nigeria / Burna Boy Slams Sowore For Calling Him To Join October 1 #revolutionnow Protest / Chai! So The Military Went & Flog Obas And Their Subjects For Refusing Herdsmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.