Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,452 members, 7,830,236 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria (75719 Views)

NANS Election: Muniru Daniel Momodu Campaigned In All 36 States, But Still Lost / Six Parts Of Your Body You Probably Don't Know Their Names / WAEC 2018 Ranking Of The 36 States & FCT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by olamikunle213(m): 6:15pm On Apr 26, 2020
ignis:
Source please
@Nigeria stories
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by olamikunle213(m): 6:20pm On Apr 26, 2020
BigBankBlack:

And he gave references and credit..copy and paste urs too
don't mind him he doesn't want to learn always looking for fault
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:36pm On Apr 26, 2020
Drabeey:

You've done well.

This was why i fell in love with Nairaland since 2011, but @Seun when would Nairaland be like Quora (intelligent people full that quorum sha)
walahi though most of their stories are fake sha. Especially those told by Indians. I still think reddit is better.

1 Like

Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Revolva(m): 6:44pm On Apr 26, 2020
.22. Kogi

Since the popular confluence in Nigeria is located in the state, Kogi is said to have been derived from ‘kogin’, the hausa word for river

Not hausa word ok kogi got its name from something more complex
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Asampetem: 6:47pm On Apr 26, 2020

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Xclusiveme: 6:49pm On Apr 26, 2020
Now i see the reason why Anambra pple pronounces it as anambala
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by rollingrocks: 6:50pm On Apr 26, 2020
whyteteeth:
Akwa Ibom is not named after the Qua iboe river. I don't know why I keep hearing this from some persons. Akwa Ibom means Great Ibom. Ibom is the ancestral home of the ibibios. It can also be interpreted in full as Akwa Abasi Ibom state" meaning "The state of the Great God of the Ibibios or the state of the almighty God". In other words "God's own state".

"Qua Iboe" is the English corruption of the word "Akwa obio" which mean a large town. Akwa Obio is a coastal community in Akwa Ibom state. Qua Iboe or kwa Iboe was used by the British colonialists and early missionaries to describe the area during the precolonial era maybe because of the difficulty they end encountered in pronouncing the word "Akwa Obio"

The Qua Iboe river which is a tributary of the Atlantic and a distributary of the Cross river is named after the coinage "Qua Iboe". Qua Iboe Church which is popular in Akwa Ibom state was named after the same community by the missionaries.

ON POINT. VERY VERY VERY VERY CORRECT. Ignorant people should stop misinforming people.

1 Like

Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by OmarEl(m): 6:50pm On Apr 26, 2020
olamikunle213:
I understand the fact that some of us knows all these but let's try and educate some people that have no idea how these state names were formed. grin grin

https://www.nairaland.com/3255550/how-states-nigeria-derived-names

It would have been much fun if only you made mention of the years they were created.
Nice update though.....At least I have known what I don't know about some State myths and Legends!

1 Like

Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Dobbes(m): 6:51pm On Apr 26, 2020
I disagree with the OP about origin of the name Akwa Ibom. The state is named after the almighty God (Ibom)...It is believed that Ibom owns the river (qua iboe) or lives there. So the complete name is Akwa Abasi Ibom State... meaning state of the almighty God...
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Badestman: 6:54pm On Apr 26, 2020
Holycity:

Keep quite... what are you saying self, i dont understanding.

Akwa iboe... Fake Igbo people
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Tirips(f): 6:57pm On Apr 26, 2020
najib632:
I don't agree with some of the information you gave.

Modified.
Reasons?
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Asampetem: 6:57pm On Apr 26, 2020
Wolgrace:

Wrong information! Was there Nigeria before almagamation? How can Nigeria coined from a river by the colonial thieves? Are they refering to river Niger and Benue? Programmed lies!

Niger-Area

2 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Asampetem: 7:04pm On Apr 26, 2020
rummmy:
Its Afikpo...op is correct, arochukwu is part of bende.
I want to know the origin of NAIRA.

NAIRA has no meaning!
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by perdollar(m): 7:24pm On Apr 26, 2020
efembaba:
Oh and I thought Adam named them all
he only named one state,; Adamawa
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:30pm On Apr 26, 2020
Asampetem:

Niger-Area

Niger means black/rudy race.. Paul and Barnabas were called Niger in book of Acts. Hence the word "nigga" or "black nigga." Even Jesus, Moses, Joseph, and Paul were once mistaken as Egyptians because of black race identity. 12 tribes of ancient Israel are black and rudy race. Mistaken identity because ancient Egyptians were also blacks too.

Yorubas and Igbos have strong root with the lost black tribes of Israel. Our brothers are scattered among the heathenous (white) nations and also ends of the earth. Jamaicans, haitans, other latinos, rudy hindus, ashantis, west coast of africa, igbos, yorubas, ss, etc... AFRICA is a name given by the Romans, so are the countries in the continent. Romans who ruled and still ruling the world shared the lands to their puppet countries who became colonial masters. ROME OWNS ALL BOUNDARIES (Rev 17)

The colonial criminals through the executive Roman Catholic and Vatican Order knows this very well...
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by najib632(m): 7:30pm On Apr 26, 2020
Tirips:

Reasons?
The origin of the names of the nothern states are just not satisfying enough and what made me more suspicious of the write up is what it states about the origin of the name of Bauchi state, which is Baushe (a Fulani name). Baushe was the one who conqured that region under the banner of bin Fodio(corrupted version of Fodiye), nothing like southern plains of Hausa land.
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Tiheanacho(m): 7:33pm On Apr 26, 2020
olamikunle213:
I understand the fact that some of us knows all these but let's try and educate some people that have no idea how these state names were formed. grin grin

https://www.nairaland.com/3255550/how-states-nigeria-derived-names
Afikipo is in Ebonyi state not Abia.
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Olabode971(f): 7:36pm On Apr 26, 2020
Audio states in a Audio Country.
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Gbagbuo247: 7:36pm On Apr 26, 2020
You certainly wrong in Ebonyi. There is nothing like “ABONIE” River in Ebonyi. What we have is EBENYI RIVER thus EBONYI STATE
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by OkpanachiMax: 7:59pm On Apr 26, 2020
Kogi with Hausa name, and Hausa are just little faction above Lokoja sad

Not Igala, not ebira, not okun
No wonder the state is confused sad
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Legendguru: 8:17pm On Apr 26, 2020
Hmmm
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by mabea: 8:17pm On Apr 26, 2020
Dreyton36:

Share your own bros
Ebonyi has always been ebonyi and not anglicised
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by mabea: 8:36pm On Apr 26, 2020
serverconnect:
ABIA stands for Aba Bende Isiukwuato Arochukwu not Afikpo
Get your facts right.It's Afikpo not arochukwu
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Maghan37: 8:53pm On Apr 26, 2020
May your days be long and peaceful for impacting us with this useful article.
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:00pm On Apr 26, 2020
olamikunle213:
33. Sokoto
Sokoto is the anglicized version of the Arabic word ‘suk’ meaning ‘market’ or ‘place of commerce’. The state itself was named after the defunct Sokoto Caliphate
34. Taraba
Taraba state got its name from the Taraba River.
35. Yobe
Komadugu Yobe (Waube or Ouobe) or River Yobe (or River of Yo) inspired the name of the state.
36. Zamfara
This state was named after Zamfarawa, one of the subdialects of the Eastern Hausa group.
FCT: Abuja
"Abuja" was in the earlier 20th century the name of the nearby town now called Suleja.
The indigenous inhabitants of Abuja are the Gbagyi (Gwari), with the Gbagyi language formerly the major of the region language.
Culled from Nigeria stories @Nigeriastories
Ebonyi is Ebonyi. There's no word called Aboine in dialects of Abakaliki people. Besides, Abia wasn't got from the three groups you mentioned. Some people bear Abia as a surname.
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:07pm On Apr 26, 2020
majamajic:
Yes

When Anambra was created in 91 , enugu state tried so much to collect the name Anambra, but cos the omambra river didn't get to their area , we retained the name Anambra !
I disagree. Enugu people didn't do that. They never tried it. Oma mbala river isn't in Enugu as you rightly said. So, they didn't struggle for the name at all.
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:14pm On Apr 26, 2020
ukukaegbu:

Anambra was created in 1991?
New Anambra and Enugu States were created in 1991, while the old Anambra State comprising the new Anambra (ijekebe or agba enu people), Enugu and Abakaliki people was created in 1976.
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by ceevee2003: 9:22pm On Apr 26, 2020
It is Enugu that was created from anambra, not the other way round.
majamajic:
Yes

When Anambra was created in 91 , enugu state tried so much to collect the name Anambra, but cos the omambra river didn't get to their area , we retained the name Anambra !
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by i124k(m): 9:29pm On Apr 26, 2020
24. Lagos

In 1472, the first set of Europeans to set foot in Lagos were the Portuguese. Due to the many lagoons and rivers in the town, they named it Lagos, which is the Portuguese word for 'lakes'.

how yoruba people come take run da name EKO
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by majamajic(m): 9:37pm On Apr 26, 2020
maestroferddi:
So Abacha abii na Babangida consulted you before creating the states?

You are just recounting a lazy tale told to you by an older aunt or uncle...

There is no how Enugu people could have opted to be called Anambra because it is clear that Anambra as a geographical and cultural identity pertained to the western half of the old Anambra State.

In any case, the deliberations of the state creation committees were not made public so what you are suggesting is just a figment of an unengaged imagination...

See don't use insultive words , my aunty told me about something that happened in 1991 ? I've got my second gonorrhea far before 1991 grin

Let me tell u again, babangida then cos the wife is from odugwu family in asaba , made asaba capital of Delta State, if not for riot in Anambra , them nearly join onitsha to Delta State. Awka now got the nod ahead of onitsha cos of all that drama and was made capital , umunze and ekwulobia all put up a good fight too
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Gemc3(f): 9:38pm On Apr 26, 2020
So educative. Thanks!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Water Scarcity In Nigerian Schools / How Tattered A Room In OAU Hostel Is (pictures) / School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.