Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,045 members, 7,810,862 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos (47350 Views)

Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Broadcast Contempt Of Court / Miyetti Allah: Ranching Can’t Work FG Should Revive Grazing Reserves For Herders / Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa: Buhari Lacks Power To Restrict Movement In Lagos, Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by bolaayenimo: 8:38am On Apr 28, 2020
Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa (SAN), human rights lawyer on Tuesday said President Muhammadu Buhari’s broadcast to Nigerians on April 27th was uninspiring and did not address many issues pertaining to the lockdown and steps being taken to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.

In a statement he personally signed, titled ‘The President‘s Broadcast Dictates Another Broadcast’, Adegboruwa said there is a need for another presidential broadcast where Nigerians will be briefed on solution to the economic crisis in the country, plans to rebuild the health sector and how to address failure in complying with lockdown directives.

The legal expert also faulted the idea of a curfew in Lagos saying it can’t work owing to the peculiar traffic situation in the state.

“On April 27, 2020, the President addressed Nigerians on steps being taken to contain the ravaging COVID 19 pandemic. In content and details, the broadcast was largely uninspiring, as it did not address the core issues being faced by Nigerians in this COVID 19 era”.

“No doubt the broadcast attempted to reflect the minds of Nigerians on the need to ease the lockdown given the hunger and suffering going on across the nation, but it fell short of providing any solution to the biting economic issues staring us all. COVID 19 has constituted a huge distraction from the economic catastrophe that the nation has fallen into, without a clear blueprint from the President on his plans to take us out of the woods”.

“Prior to COVID 19, the President had set up a Presidential Economic Team that was to be reporting to him directly and nothing has been heard from that Team since then. After COVID 19, the President also set up another economic team to work out how Nigeria will respond to the economic issues post-COVID 19. The President did not address this in his broadcast”

“Prior to the President’s broadcast, his media aides had informed the nation that the President had met with the Minister of Health and the Director-General of NCDC, to take reports from them. Both of them had earlier informed Nigerians that there were no more testing kits and other valuable reagents. The President did not address this critical issue”.

“There was nothing in the President’s broadcast about efforts being made to rebuild the health system, which the head of the COVID 19 Task Force (the SGF) admitted had become inadequate. Ghana is building 90 world class hospitals post-COVID 19”.

“There was apparent breach of protocol as a draft speech had been released ahead of the broadcast, containing different contents, from the one eventually read by the President, showing lack of coordination, which has in turn created confusion”.

“The President did not also address the issue of failure of compliance with the lockdown directives and the measures being taken to solve this. The broadcast was silent about international and local flights and general movement in the air”.

“Curfew cannot work in Lagos State because of it’s peculiar traffic situations. People are usually up and on the road by 4am from the Mainland and from Ogun State to the Island and they close and stay in traffic till midnight, most of the time. With interstate lockdown and night curfew, most people working in Lagos from Ogun and Oyo States cannot meet up. The President should have consulted with the Governors of these States”.

“As the National Assembly is now resuming, the President should liaise with them to have a law on COVID 19 in order to harmonize all COVID 19 regulations, to avoid the prevailing confusion across the land. It is urgent”.

https://www.independent.ng/buharis-speech-uninspiring-curfew-cant-work-in-lagos-adegboruwa/

43 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by Abboki: 8:39am On Apr 28, 2020
All this online beggers with multiple bank account number will never acknowledge when someone sends money to them...

They can afford data but can't afford garri.

Lala is my boi

165 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by AntiWailer: 8:39am On Apr 28, 2020
He don start.

The curfew might be necessary to clean and disinfect general places before the next day.

Everything is not about human right, common sense can prevail at times.

Not all businesses would be allowed to open yet.

I am sure Government workers and schools are still closed. The time is also 6 - 8 meaning that no office will expect u to get to the office before 8/9.

In the speech, Buhari also made it clear that each state will handle their peculiar issues accordingly.

Cut him some slack. At least he did not advise citizens to drink disinfectants like the most powerful man in the world did. (Yes, plenty morons drank it in USA)

What useless economy is the lawyer talking about ? An economy that is practically 100% dependent on oil price will not listen to English or Law terminologies. Even better prepared countries are technically in recession. There is no miracle anybody can perform on Nigeria economy right now.

Things are not yet normal and should be seen that way for now.

200 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by ademasta(m): 8:40am On Apr 28, 2020
Police go chop ehn

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by VaselineCrew: 8:46am On Apr 28, 2020
Same question I asked.

What is the point of curfew in Lagos between 8pm-6am?

If that is not daft, then I don’t know what is.

Will the virus hibernate during that time window? How will workers get home? Will the police now start harassing people going home at 9pm?

Questions, questions, questions, without answers from a recorded speech.

97 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by nairavsdollars(f): 8:48am On Apr 28, 2020
Best time for curfew In Lagos is 10pm or 12am. Some people are still in office by 8pm

VaselineCrew:
Same question I asked.

What is the point of curfew in Lagos between 8pm-6am?

If that is not daft, then I don’t know what is.

Will the virus hibernate during that time window? How will workers get home? Will the police now start harassing people going home at 9pm?

Questions, questions, questions, without answers from a recorded speech.

15 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by omowolewa: 8:52am On Apr 28, 2020
Just follow instructions

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by VaselineCrew: 8:52am On Apr 28, 2020
nairavsdollars:
Best time for curfew In Lagos is 10pm or 12am. Some people are still in office by 8pm

There is zero need for a curfew, it’s either we are locked down or we aren’t.

We are not fighting terrorists, such that a curfew will help weed out those that are terrorizing at night. It’s a virus that doesn’t have a stipulated bedtime.

166 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by Jerkules: 8:53am On Apr 28, 2020

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by HermesParis: 8:53am On Apr 28, 2020
Ena don start... Why do we have these kind of set of people in this country/World. Those who sing Hossana are same who shout Crucify Him. What exactly do you want??

They have been movement from 10am to 2pm, you people shout, wail, its not enough. Now he says move from 8 to 6pm, u still cry and whine like babies, am so certain of he said, let there be free movement, some wud still say why do we have to move freely when there is deadly virus out there.

This is to tell you that no matter what you do, people out there will always talk. They will always look for way to bring you down.

I keep saying, you all who are shouting hunger, endlockdown, will be the same people blaming buhari for lifting lockdown when God forbid, the virus spreads and high death rate is being recorded.

Remember this, uneasy is the head that wears the crown. Not all the time you must oppose, and if you want to do, do it objectively.

79 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by ursullalinda(f): 8:54am On Apr 28, 2020
That was the first thing that came to my mind......Lagos traffic is enough to disrupt the curfew......but let's watch and see how it goes.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by alsudaes1(m): 8:54am On Apr 28, 2020
nairavsdollars:

That's if it's needed, which I doubt considering the fact that people will go to work and return home and we all know the traffic situation in Lagos.

4 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by Nobody: 8:54am On Apr 28, 2020
shocked

Anyone who defends Buhari in these times is perhaps the most advanced ignoramus I have ever seen.

You can't go to work, feed yourself or family, depressed, no palliative or measure to cushion your growing debts, and no inspiration from the man you call Baba yet you defend him.

Find me a Buharist and I will show you one with a growing brain tumor. Idiots!

86 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by cRobo: 8:54am On Apr 28, 2020
The speech was so disjointed, coupled with his deep heavy accent

I was left confuse after watching him speak

well

I won't say a word

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by Nobody: 8:55am On Apr 28, 2020
what do you expect from a dullard Mr Adegboruwa?

we know he have nothing to offer but some voted for him due to selfish interest and 2023

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by chinavs9ja(m): 8:55am On Apr 28, 2020
The curfew is meaningless

Check my signature

9 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by Ekakamba: 8:55am On Apr 28, 2020

10 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by Saheed9: 8:55am On Apr 28, 2020
Obviously

2 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by Neef2018: 8:55am On Apr 28, 2020
use our SW folks for experimentation and as sacrificial lambs
once the number gets to 1million in Lagos just like in NY, he will tell them to drink Hypo grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by Zeezxo(m): 8:55am On Apr 28, 2020
Baba Buhari I think these people are not okay with the curfew.

You know you give pick two, pick two, now hold on. Maybe after the Hold On you can give us General market.

Seems some people are educated with no common sense of reasoning.

Lockdown you are complaining
Curfew you are still complaining.

Mind you I don't pray this but if the Virus later kills thousands of people in the country you will still come back to blame the Government for it.

People will always be people no matter what.

Just listen to them and move on. Because you can't satisfy them.

17 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by Nobody: 8:55am On Apr 28, 2020
Welcome to Nigeria

Where our government has discovered the closing time and resumption time of Corona virus

44 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by Iamgrey5(m): 8:56am On Apr 28, 2020
The main focus of the government in relaxing the lock down is to allow those earning daily wages earn something

The government has come to realize that they can't feed all the poor people in Nigeria forever.

As for the curfew, state government would still modify the directives for their states peculiarities. For example, Lagos would likely require markets, banks and businesses to close at 2 PM. They would also likely still have days for total lock down

As for public transport, I think the government would limit the number of passengers in Danfo and Brt to 2 people per seats and increase transport fare by almost 100%. I think that would also discourage people from going out except when absolutely necessary.

It would be difficult, but as English men often say, "You can't eat your cake and have it"

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by Forced17: 8:56am On Apr 28, 2020
All I understand is that the virus sleeps during the day and gets active by 9pm in the night

17 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by Herdsmen: 8:56am On Apr 28, 2020
Is normal .. Apc is a confused party.. everything about them is confusions

8 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by Olalan(m): 8:56am On Apr 28, 2020
Not everyone should be out......thise who can work from home should continue

6 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by simhosting: 8:56am On Apr 28, 2020
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by kponkedenge(m): 8:56am On Apr 28, 2020
One thing I know is that all my predictions about this virus in Nigeria has eventually come to pass... And all I'll say is that loosening the lock down restrictions right now especially in Lagos is not a good idea.

9 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by StandardJohn(m): 8:56am On Apr 28, 2020
we are in a confused country already, the leaders are confused, the people are confused so i'm not surprised the presidents speech was full of confusion.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 8:56am On Apr 28, 2020
True.

1 Like

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by sapientia(m): 8:57am On Apr 28, 2020
This covid 19 is not only exposing the intellect of our leaders in Nigeria, its doing same to every country.

These people at the helm of affairs in Nigeria is not what anyone will wish a country during a pandemic like covid 19.

A speech that confused me even after reading the transcript. I have to resort to twitter to be getting the meaning gradually.

Seriously, this prerecorded videos are not helping anymore. Buhari should have an interactive live show to answer some pertinent questions.

He may not even need to talk, PTF and NCDC can also be there to answer all the questions but truth is, we need answers to a lot of things.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos by persius555(m): 8:57am On Apr 28, 2020
AntiWailer:
He don start.

The curfew might be to clean and disinfect general places.

Everything is not about human right, common sense can prevail at times.

The curfew might be to deter house hold robberies and night crawlers who are fond of ending the day in night bars.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari's Interview With Al Jazeera (Video) / 2023: Lady Dumps Her Boyfriend For Not Getting His PVC To Support Obi (Pix) / Nigerians Visit President Tinubu’s Ikoyi Residence For Xmas Goodies (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.