Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,264 members, 7,815,433 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” (56673 Views)

Mob Kills Vigilante For Blasphemy In Abuja (Pictures) / Mubarak Bala, Pleads Guilty To Blasphemy, sentenced to 24 years imprisonment / Nigeria Police Arrest Acclaimed Atheist, Mubarak Bala, For Alleged Blasphemy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by HIbreed(m): 5:10am On Apr 29, 2020
Earlier today, Nigerian police arrested Mubarak Bala (below), President of the Humanist Association of Nigeria, for “blasphemy” after he allegedly posted criticism of Islam on his Facebook page.

This is the same Bala who was placed in a mental hospital in 2014 for the “crime” of being an atheist. He was later released, but that didn’t stop the threats on his life.

Today’s arrest apparently stems from a petition sent to local police saying that Bala characterized “Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) as a terrorist.”

Some group of lawyers finally write petition against Mubarak Bala

"We therefore humbly lodge this complaint to you with the hope that the said Mubarak Bala will brought to book so that he will know and understand that Nigeria is not a lawless society…"

To be clear, Nigeria’s Constitution guarantees freedom of religion and expression. His comments didn’t block anyone from practicing or expressing their faith. The problem is that Nigeria doesn’t even care about its own Constitution in these cases. Despite promoting religious freedom, the Constitution also allows Nigerian states to create Sharia courts. Under Sharia law, blasphemy is punishable by death.

Leo Igwe, who chairs the Board of Trustees for the Humanist Association of Nigeria, said he’s worried about what could happen to Bala:

All of us at the Humanist Association of Nigeria are deeply worried by the arrest and detention of our president, Mubarak Bala. Mubarak Bala will likely be handed over to the Kano state police command, that will prosecute him for blasphemy, a crime that caries a death sentence under sharia law.

The Center for Inquiry supports and defends freedom of conscience, freedom of speech, freedom to criticize religion and dogma, and freedom of religious choice — including the choice not to be religious. We condemn in the strongest possible terms the arrest of Mubarak Bala and call for his immediate release.

People deserve protection, not beliefs. Ideas don’t need rights. People do.

The Center for Inquiry stands in solidarity with the Humanist Association of Nigeria. As President of HAN, Mubarak has been a courageous proponent of humanist values, equality, and freedom in his country. Nigerian authorities must drop these ridiculous charges and release Mubarak from the Gabasawa holding center.

This isn’t just posturing. Bala is in serious danger. You don’t have to celebrate what he said to know that offensive speech isn’t a crime. No government should be prosecuting people for merely offending others.

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2020/04/28/nigerian-police-arrest-humanist-leader-mubarak-bala-for-alleged-blasphemy/

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by bonboclat: 5:12am On Apr 29, 2020
It doesn't warrant this na

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by Buharidgeneral: 6:03am On Apr 29, 2020
Humanist

Abeg elucidate

6 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by princeade86(m): 6:11am On Apr 29, 2020
Islamic Republic of Nigeria.

218 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by HIbreed(m): 6:20am On Apr 29, 2020
Buharidgeneral:
Humanist

Abeg elucidate
check the meaning of 'humanist' in your lexicon

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by HIbreed(m): 6:40am On Apr 29, 2020
VEXT:
Thank God Iam a Christian. No matter how you insult my religion and insult Jesus,no Christian will dare to pick up a weapon to kill you or harm you. Because we believed the battle is for Christ and not for us!!
Mubarak Bala happen to be my frd on Facebook, with the kind of comments and threat I do see on his post and facebook page. That was the day I realise that there is no difference between bokoharam and some Muslims,they are all the same.They kill for their God...I blame bala for all of this,he stay in their midst and still use his real Facebook account to criticize them,may God save him..For all those criticizing Christianity,have you now seen how peaceful and loving Christians are. Shalom!!!
Christianity has done what Islam will never ever do when it comes to terrorism and killings .it just got reformed over time because the Europeans that invented got tired of it and it's nonsense.

The transatlantic slave trade was founded on Christianity. That's just one example of the evils of the religion and how it hurt and killed millions of people here in Africa.

Christianity did more worse in the 18th century and down.

I guess you do not know much about Christianity and its spread throughout the World.

In a bid to spread and convert people Christians killed millions of people.

Religion itself unleashes terror where ever it goes.

204 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by VEXT: 7:25am On Apr 29, 2020
HIbreed:
Christianity has done what Islam will never ever do when it comes to terrorism and killings .it just got reformed over time because the Europeans that invented got tired of it and it's nonsense.

The transatlantic slave trade was founded on Christianity. That's just one example of the evils of the religion and how it hurt and killed millions of people here in Africa.

I guess you do not know much about Christianity and its spread throughout the World.

Go and preach to the muslim brothers that arrested bala....maybe if we act the same way Muslims do whenever someone criticize their religion, by now people like you,reno,freeze, etinosa would hv been put to death!!!

447 Likes 36 Shares

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by dorox(m): 7:42am On Apr 29, 2020
This is the kind of news that should make front page rather than snake news.

23 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by Slawormir: 9:13am On Apr 29, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
As a real niggarrr i don't support this
They should release him

And we should all stop this fuckkking argument on slave trade
Not necessary
Although it started with Christianity
But later Both religion were guilty of that shit.

You all should seek for knowledge

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by olamide021: 9:14am On Apr 29, 2020
Ok
Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by Aidejay(m): 9:14am On Apr 29, 2020
HIbreed:
Christianity has done what Islam will never ever do when it comes to terrorism and killings .it just got reformed over time because the Europeans that invented got tired of it and it's nonsense. The transatlantic slave trade was founded on Christianity. That's just one example of the evils of the religion and how it hurt and killed millions of people here in Africa. Christianity did more worse in the 18th century and down. I guess you do not know much about Christianity and its spread throughout the World. In a bid to spread and convert people Christians killed millions of people. Religion itself unleashes terror where ever it goes.
I agree with your point a bit, but this does not in any way add or invalidate the fact that in the 21st century, I.e today the present people are still being arrested for blaspheme a crime that attracts a death sentence.

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by sanemind2(m): 9:14am On Apr 29, 2020
Ok as expected

Meanwhile

Get high definition movies into your hard drive ,if you are in Ph,check signature
Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by philip0906(m): 9:15am On Apr 29, 2020
HIbreed:

Valid! Good thing you've done is to admit that these alleged violence by christians, was from the 18th century and down

Now ask yourself this question: What changed in the 19th, 20th and 21st century? There are still over 2.3 billion christians in the world. What changed about christianity to make it more tolerant and not continue the alleged "killing spree" of the 18th century and down? What stopped the billions of christians in modern day, not to continue the alleged "terror unleash"?

That is the problem the other religion has. They have been killing since inception and are extremely intolerant of other religion and people. Till date, majority of the unrest and problem, is still tied to this religion.

333 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by Harrynight(m): 9:15am On Apr 29, 2020
angry
Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by frankypunk(m): 9:15am On Apr 29, 2020
Naija no dey ever learn.

7 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by sirblend: 9:15am On Apr 29, 2020
Where is our freedom of speech?.

8 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by nanauju(f): 9:15am On Apr 29, 2020
Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by Racoon(m): 9:15am On Apr 29, 2020
Headslammers religion of peace @ it again.Always intolerant and fanatical.Abeg let Allah fight for himself.

75 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by CapitalBank: 9:15am On Apr 29, 2020
Northerners and religion. May God save u all.

A disease is killing people and nothing is done but u have time to arrest someone.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by Nobody: 9:15am On Apr 29, 2020
Hmm Mubarak is an Arabic name, so he is Muslim.

2 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by NaijaOlosho(f): 9:16am On Apr 29, 2020
Yellowba muislims sha

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by Goldenheart(m): 9:16am On Apr 29, 2020
Religion is needed to keep somethings/people in check....
Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by Perfecttouchade: 9:16am On Apr 29, 2020
Ok
Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by Blitzerz: 9:16am On Apr 29, 2020
O
Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by Bigmikedagod(m): 9:16am On Apr 29, 2020
he is lucky.. in Saudi Arabia he would have been executed by now. Nigeria is an islamic country

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by Creeza(m): 9:16am On Apr 29, 2020
It's only the beginning.
Welcome to coronation year.
Re: Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” by GodSaklek(m): 9:17am On Apr 29, 2020
I don't know when blasphemy or atheism becomes a crime in Nigeria that will let police to arrest,when Nigeria isn't a Saudi Arabia or other Islamic state,they should release the guy as soon as possible..

I don't know why they are defending their powerless god, if truly their god is powerful, they should let him do the judgement by himself..

VEXT:
Thank God Iam a Christian. No matter how you insult my religion and insult Jesus,no Christian will dare to pick up a weapon to kill you or harm you. Because we believed the battle is for Christ and not for us!!
Mubarak Bala happen to be my frd on Facebook, with the kind of comments and threat I do see on his post and facebook page. That was the day I realise that there is no difference between bokoharam and some Muslims,they are all the same.They kill for their God...I blame bala for all of this,he stay in their midst and still use his real Facebook account to criticize them,may God save him..For all those criticizing Christianity,have you now seen how peaceful and loving Christians are. Shalom!!!

Mr man,stop saying nonsense here,there are many Christians that also threatened people online, apart from that, Christianity has killed more people for blasphemy in the past than any other religions,go and check it online for those that are killed in public for blasphemy. the reason why it was reduced nowadays is because whites that creates the religion doesn't take it serious anymore before they introduce it to Africa,because many of them doesn't practice it anymore unlike their great parents.
Christians of nowadays don't even concerned about blasphemy anymore, either u abuse them on not is non of their business what really concerned them is your pocket..

VEXT:

Go and preach to the muslim brothers that arrested bala....maybe if we act the same way Muslims do whenever someone criticize their religion, by now people like you,reno,freeze, etinosa would hv been put to death!!!

Put to death for what?,to defend your powerless god?. Why don't you guys let that god to kill those people by himself if he's truly powerful. There is no different between boko haram and Christians,Christians are just scared to kill because of whites,they want to make their religion to look different from Muslims,they are scared of Muslims and because of people's pockets, assume that Muslims are also seeing money like Christians,they will ignore blasphemy, just look at those Muslims in North, poverty has render them useless,how do u not expect hungry people not to killed?,if Christians are also killing people,then there won't be peace because Muslims and Christians will always kill each other.

22 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

"The Root Of Christmas Is Demonic" - Pastor Olukoya Of MFM / Pastor Nicolas Uagbor: "Daddy Freeze May Die Before Next Year". Freeze Replies / Prophet Odumeje Finally Forgives Ada Jesus, Gifts Her N1 Million (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.