Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,284 members, 7,829,646 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) (2347 Views)

The Kingdom Of Benin Was A Massive Slave Trader / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, His Wives And Children In Cute Family Photo / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 6:11pm On May 03, 2020
Ghostwon5:
the document which you produced was written by a guy who was born in 1944, therefore it wasn't written between 1800 and 1897 as required by the guy whom you are replying.

Are you disapproving the write up? If you are. Then I've no business convincing you again. You seem like a lost cause.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 6:15pm On May 03, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Are you disapproving the write up? If you are. Then I've no business convincing you again. You seem like a lost cause.

The guy whom you are replying asked for a document written between 1800 and 1897, instead you produced a document written by a guy born in 1944.

I underline that fact, then out of a sudden I am a lost cause. Laughable.

I am not in the business of being duped or duping others.
I always require hard proof. Nothing less. I am certainly a lost cause to 419 "convincers".

1 Like

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 10:48pm On May 03, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

This author is simply doing an oral account writeup simply what he heard from local oyo account which can be false because people this days are twisting thier history to make it good looking and we cant leave that unchecked

Every myth left unattended to would not only distort the history of that people but anybody the distorted history come in contact with
Example, is the claim you made that if oyo happens to have calvary then ife must have had too and if that be so, then that sculpture is representing an ife person"
on the otherhand an history told correctly go a longway revealing truth to other people history

So i take it upon myself to find the truth

Letme make your search easier for you

Fulani invaded oyo in the early 1800 did they write about oyo calvary....
On a matter of fact the Fulani wrote thier history down and documented them so you can get that information from them.....
Instead of coming here to make mockery of yourself because you want to defend yorubas.......

We are in the modern world, we dont just take every written history and accept them we revaluated them before acceptance

Apart from oral record or written record how do we believe oyo really had calvary
When oyo fought the kparokpo war the British were already in nigeria and they didn't recird any calvary from oyo

1 Like

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 12:34am On May 04, 2020
gregyboy:

This author is simply doing an oral account writeup simply what he heard from local oyo account which can be false because people this days are twisting thier history to make it good looking and we cant leave that unchecked

Every myth left unattended to would not only distort the history of that people but anybody the distorted history come in contact with
Example, is the claim you made that if oyo happens to have calvary then ife must have had too and if that be so, then that sculpture is representing an ife person"
on the otherhand an history told correctly go a longway revealing truth to other people history

So i take it upon myself to find the truth

Letme make your search easier for you

Fulani invaded oyo in the early 1800 did they write about oyo calvary....
On a matter of fact the Fulani wrote thier history down and documented them so you can get that information from them.....
Instead of coming here to make mockery of yourself because you want to defend yorubas.......

We are in the modern world, we dont just take every written history and accept them we revaluated them before acceptance

Apart from oral record or written record how do we believe oyo really had calvary
When oyo fought the kparokpo war the British were already in nigeria and they didn't recird any calvary from oyo

First of all I provided a Cambridge printout with reference suggesting the use or horses by the Yoruba armies and you call it hearsay. The British met horses in 18 century in Yoruba land (I love reading past events so there is nothing you can use to trick me)

I know you were angry when I said Benins had never seen a horse before oramiyan came to them. Don't get it twisted. You were not around to say it weren't so and you have no facts or proof to counter it. So you result to wild chase. Very pathetic of you sir.

Fulani invaded oyo in the early 1800. Read about how all horses were stationed at ilorin when the attack happened. What weakened the oyo was palace coup, and limitating power of the army.

Again you said fulani write their own history, so that one is not hearsay but a documented article with references written in a year when you were not born is hearsay. I would not bother to answer you again. angry

This another evidence with reference. Don't bother me again.

The Slave Ship Manuelita and the Story of a Yoruba Community, 1833-1834

Search at the bolded and deny it.

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Moneywomen17(m): 2:06am On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

First of all I provided a Cambridge printout with reference suggesting the use or horses by the Yoruba armies and you call it hearsay. The British met horses in 18 century in Yoruba land (I love reading past events so there is nothing you can use to trick me)

I know you were angry when I said Benins had never seen a horse before oramiyan came to them. Don't get it twisted. You were not around to say it weren't so and you have no facts or proof to counter it. So you result to wild chase. Very pathetic of you sir.

Fulani invaded oyo in the early 1800. Read about how all horses were stationed at ilorin when the attack happened. What weakened the oyo was palace coup, and limitating power of the army.

Again you said fulani write their own history, so that one is not hearsay but a documented article with references written in a year when you were not born is hearsay. I would not bother to answer you again. angry

u didn’t even need to reply him. Even archibald dalzel who was in Dahomey wrote how oyo Calvary rode into Dahomey and defeated them forcing them to pay tributaries. When Hugh clapperton visited oyo-ile he said he noticed shortage of horse despite oyo being known for their Calvary cuz the Calvary was stationed in Ilorin. The key word here is “shortage” which means there were still horses just not a lot.

1 Like

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by AreaFada2: 2:12am On May 04, 2020
Interesting. More Benin history.

The more they want to dispute Benin history, the more relevant it becomes. grin cheesy
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 3:52am On May 04, 2020
Moneywomen17:
u didn’t even need to reply him. Even archibald dalzel who was in Dahomey wrote how oyo Calvary rode into Dahomey and defeated them forcing them to pay tributaries. When Hugh clapperton visited oyo-ile he said he noticed shortage of horse despite oyo being known for their Calvary cuz the Calvary was stationed in Ilorin. The key word here is “shortage” which means there were still horses just not a lot.

Exactly.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 8:40am On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Ok i guss you knew when the war happened
Around the 1800

Am going to be leaned since you quoted a 1921 article

the fact remains that, the hausas slaves were the ones who had brought them to oyo...... And they were the ones who were the calvary men all this occured in the early 1800

Pls dont push your luck proposing ife used horses please don't rather end it as a myth....

If you do i will send you on a research you would probably not come out from

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 10:15am On May 04, 2020
gregyboy:

Ok i guss you knew when the war happened
Around the 1800

Am going to be leaned since you quoted a 1921 article

the fact remains that, the hausas slaves were the ones who had brought them to oyo...... And they were the ones who were the calvary men all this occured in the early 1800

Pls dont push your luck proposing ife used horses please don't rather end it as a myth....

If you do i will send you on a research you would probably not come out from

The Hausa slaves Brought horses to Oyo? angry

You understand nothing about Nigeria history. You know nothing man. Stop making stupid assumptions. It make you stupid.

I won't reply you again. You're too slow, boring and full of shit.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 10:31am On May 04, 2020
See the opening yansh by the same article u quote grin

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 10:33am On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

The Hausa slaves Brought horses to Oyo? angry

You understand nothing about Nigeria history. You know nothing man. Stop making stupid assumptions. It make you stupid.

I won't reply you again. You're too slow, boring and full of shit.

You dont bring your emotions while debating,
If you do it will have the best of you dishing out dishonesty and tantrums against ur opponent

Again if you agree i dont know a thing in africa history please teach me i will go and do my own research
The article was not written by me or even a nigerian so why are you pouring the anger on me

Like i have said history is not meant to fabricated
Any little distortion will change a well documented history upside down

Anyway benin never had calvary they fought with people that did collected the horses as war booty
The oba got to ride on them but with time the horses all died...... Because the habitat is not suitable for them
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 10:35am On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:
See the opening yansh by the same article u quote grin

Lol, oromiyan never existed funny enough.....

Oduduwa was a myth too

So forget it
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 10:40am On May 04, 2020
Moneywomen17:

The truth is oyo empire sprang up in 16 and ended 18 century the parakpo war of the yorubas never mentioned oyo using horses.....

Horses were introduced to oyo by early 1800 by the hausas and fulani during thier migration to oyo the hausas were the riders and not the oyos
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 10:46am On May 04, 2020
Moneywomen17:

Can we see the links to all this claims of yours

You know horses are not a rainforest animal
Anyhow youre going to say it horses were alien to oyo
The hausas had brought them around the 1800
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 10:48am On May 04, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol, oromiyan never existed funny enough.....

Oduduwa was a myth too

So forget it

See painment grin

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 10:55am On May 04, 2020
gregyboy:

You dont bring your emotions while debating,
If you do it will have the best of you dishing out dishonesty and tantrums against ur opponent

Again if you agree i dont know a thing in africa history please teach me i will go and do my own research
The article was not written by me or even a nigerian so why are you pouring the anger on me

Like i have said history is not meant to fabricated
Any little distortion will change a well documented history upside down

Anyway benin never had calvary they fought with people that did collected the horses as war booty
The oba got to ride on them but with time the horses all died...... Because the habitat is not suitable for them

I don't care if Benin ever used horses, It is matters not to me. Benin never had calvary but got horses trades not as booties

That is the reason they call it documentation. You can see as the article is screening out assumptions and furthering on with the facts.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 10:56am On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

See painment grin

What year did oromiyan and oduduwa reign
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 10:58am On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

I don't care if Benin ever used horses, It is matters not to me. Benin never had calvary but got horses trades not as booties

That is the reason they call it documentation. You can see as the article is screening out assumptions and furthering on with the facts.

My article or your article

Lol, are you going to set your money benin didnt get horses from war booty.....
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 11:07am On May 04, 2020
gregyboy:

The truth is oyo empire sprang up in 16 and ended 18 century the parakpo war of the yorubas never mentioned oyo using horses.....

Horses were introduced to oyo by early 1800 by the hausas and fulani during thier migration to oyo the hausas were the riders and not the oyos

Stop making stupid assumptions. Better keep quiet of shit you know nothing about.

Another evidence

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 11:11am On May 04, 2020
gregyboy:

What year did oromiyan and oduduwa reign
around 13 century
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 11:16am On May 04, 2020
gregyboy:

My article or your article

Lol, are you going to set your money benin didnt get horses from war booty.....

If you have it post it here grin don't beat around the bush. I've not come across any wars fought by the Benin sef
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 11:16am On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:
around 13 century

Was he the originator of Yoruba race

Or was he born in ife or probably migrted to ife
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 11:18am On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

If you have it post it here grin don't beat around the bush. I've not come across any wars fought by the Benin sef

Lets leave like that benins never fought wars........

I thought you were bold enough to bet for the truth
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 11:18am On May 04, 2020
gregyboy:

Was he the originator of Yoruba race

Or was he born in ife or probably migrted to ife

Nope he was not the originator of Yoruba race. He was an ife Prince.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 11:19am On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Stop making stupid assumptions. Better keep quiet of shit you know nothing about.

Another evidence

Oyo correct my assumption with fact
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 11:23am On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Nope he was not the originator of Yoruba race. He was an ife Prince.

Ooh, ok

Its unlikely because why Oduduwa was popular was not because he was a conqueror or a king
But because yorubas believed he was thier originator but here you are saying otherwise

They are so many history of Oduduwa if i am to go by yours i will be blind and talk on assumptions.....

The most valid Oduduwa story that he was the progenitor of the yoruba race
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 11:41am On May 04, 2020
gregyboy:

Ooh, ok

Its unlikely because why Oduduwa was popular was not because he was a conqueror or a king
But because yorubas believed he was thier originator but here you are saying otherwise

They are so many history of Oduduwa if i am to go by yours i will be blind and talk on assumptions.....

The most valid Oduduwa story that he was the progenitor of the yoruba race

Stop intentionally mixing things up bro. Is it too hard to comprehend? You make slowpoke look sharp with this Shit you wrote.

Oramiyan was a decendant of oduduwa. Man you stoooopid

1 Like

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 11:43am On May 04, 2020
gregyboy:

Oyo correct my assumption with fact

Facts upon facts. I cant continue to do this. Bye
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 11:45am On May 04, 2020
gregyboy:

Lets leave like that benins never fought wars........

I thought you were bold enough to bet for the truth

Silly antics. I can see through you. Post it here.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 11:45am On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Silly antics. I can see through you. Post it here.

Put your money........

For both claims made

5000naira
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 11:48am On May 04, 2020
gregyboy:

Put your money........

For both claims made

5000naira

grin grin he has nothing to post

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 11:51am On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Stop intentionally mixing things up bro. Is it too hard to comprehend? You make slowpoke look sharp with this Shit you wrote.

Oramiyan was a decendant of oduduwa. Man you stoooopid

Lol you have failed......

Next time read your history better gone are those days we argue based on few articles today the world has given us a library on our phone
So we will redress our myth and bring truth fron them

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Original Name Of Port Harcourt Is Obomotu / Bwiti Religion - Gabons Return To Paganism! (watch Bbc Documentary) / Are These Really Nigerian Girls On The Streets Of Athens?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.