Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,845 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) (2283 Views)

The Kingdom Of Benin Was A Massive Slave Trader / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, His Wives And Children In Cute Family Photo / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 7:26pm On May 02, 2020
The kingdom of Benin began in the 900s when the Edo people settled in the rainforests of West Africa. By the 1400s they had created a wealthy kingdom with a powerful ruler, known as the Oba. The Obas lived in beautiful palaces decorated with shining brass.

Gradually, the Obas won more land and built up an empire. They also started trading with merchants from Europe.

For 200 years Benin was very successful, but in the 1600s the Obas started to lose control of their people. By the 1800s Benin was no longer strong or united. The kingdom came to a sudden end in 1897, when a British army invaded and made it part of the British Empire.

How did the kingdom begin?

Around the year 900 groups of Edo people began to cut down trees and make clearings in the rainforest. At first they lived in small family groups, but gradually these groups developed into a kingdom.

The kingdom was called Igodomigodo. It was ruled by a series of kings, known as Ogisos, which means ‘rulers of the sky’.

In the 1100s there were struggles for power and the Ogisos lost control of their kingdom.

The Edo people feared that their country would fall into chaos, so they asked their neighbour, the King of Ife, for help. The king sent his son Prince Oranmiyan to restore peace to the Edo kingdom.

Oranmiyan chose his son Eweka to be the first Oba of Benin. Eweka was the first in a long line of Obas, who reached the peak of their power in the 1500s.

1 Like

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 02, 2020
How did Benin become an empire?

Around 1440, Ewuare became the new Oba of Benin. He built up an army and started winning land. He also rebuilt Benin City and the royal palace.

Oba Ewuare was the first of five great warrior kings. His son Oba Ozolua was believed to have won 200 battles. He was followed by Oba Esigie who expanded his kingdom eastwards to form an empire and won land from the Kingdom of Ife. Ozolua and Esigie both encouraged trade with the Portuguese. They used their wealth from trade to build up a vast army.

The fourth warrior king was Oba Orhogbua. During his reign, the empire reached its largest size. It stretched beyond the River Niger in the east and extended west as far as present-day Ghana.

Oba Ehengbuda was the last of the warrior kings. But he spent most of his reign stopping rebellions led by local chiefs. After his death in 1601, Benin’s empire gradually shrank in size.

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 7:31pm On May 02, 2020
How did the kingdom end?

By the 1860s Benin was no longer a powerful empire and the Obas struggled to rule their people.

Benin was also under threat from Britain. The British wanted to gain control of Benin so they could get rich by selling its palm oil and rubber. The Oba tried to stop all contact with Britain, but the British insisted on their right to trade.

In 1897 a group of British officials tried to visit Benin. They were sent away because the Oba was busy with a religious ceremony, but they decided to visit anyway. As they approached the borders of Benin, a group of warriors drove them back and several British men were killed.

This attack made the British furious. They sent over a thousand soldiers to invade Benin. Benin City was burnt to the ground and the kingdom of Benin became part of the British Empire.

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 02, 2020
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 10:42am On May 03, 2020
The Edo people feared that their country would fall into chaos, so they asked their neighbour, the King of Ife, for help. The king sent his son Prince Oranmiyan to restore peace to the Edo kingdom.
Oranmiyan chose his son Eweka to be the first Oba of Benin. Eweka was the first in a long line of Obas, who reached the peak of their power in the 1500s.

So Yorubas are the ones ruling Bini to this day.

Noted.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 11:36am On May 03, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Noted.

That is Yoruba myth.
A made up story to give Yoruba a sense of self-esteem by claiming a greater people's history.
The desperation with which you guys defend this baseless myth only shows how much you need to rub Benin's glorious past on Yoruba lack of history.

Yoruba are a non homogeneous people. Some of you descend from freed slaves deported from the American continent while some of you are from Dahomey, others from oyo and Ijebu.

You have no history.

Also:

1) oranmiyan is a myth, he never existed.
2) oduduwa is a myth, he never existed
3) the ogiso are myths, they never existed.
4) the first record of Oba was a reference to the Oba of Benin in the middle ages.
5) as can be seen in early colonial pictures, the Yoruba used to call their chiefs in this manner:

"ooni of ife, sir adetoye".

Notice the word "sir" is also not a Yoruba word.

Later on in the colonial era, the Yoruba dropped the word "sir" and replaced it with the word "Oba". Replacing a non Yoruba word with an other non Yoruba word but which is more African (since independence was in discussion).

6) the word Oba belongs to the Oba of Benin, Omo n'Oba n'Edo. The Yoruba copied it. Fact. Just like Benin republic copied the word "Benin" from Benin Kingdom.

Yeah Benin gets copied a lot, deal with it !

7) as can be seen in some early colonial or late precolonial pictures, the Yoruba didn't use the word Oba to describe any of their chiefs until the mid colonial era.

1 Like

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 11:36am On May 03, 2020
MinorityOpinion:
The kingdom of Benin began in the 900s when the Edo people settled in the rainforests of West Africa. By the 1400s they had created a wealthy kingdom with a powerful ruler, known as the Oba. The Obas lived in beautiful palaces decorated with shining brass.

Gradually, the Obas won more land and built up an empire. They also started trading with merchants from Europe.

For 200 years Benin was very successful, but in the 1600s the Obas started to lose control of their people. By the 1800s Benin was no longer strong or united. The kingdom came to a sudden end in 1897, when a British army invaded and made it part of the British Empire.

How did the kingdom begin?

Around the year 900 groups of Edo people began to cut down trees and make clearings in the rainforest. At first they lived in small family groups, but gradually these groups developed into a kingdom.

The kingdom was called Igodomigodo. It was ruled by a series of kings, known as Ogisos, which means ‘rulers of the sky’.

In the 1100s there were struggles for power and the Ogisos lost control of their kingdom.

There was never oromiyan stop that trash myth

See another benin greatness

Togo national university is name after benin empire

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 11:48am On May 03, 2020
gregyboy:

There was never oromiyan stop that trash myth

See another benin greatness

Togo national university is name after benin empire

This hold little to no significance to the topic. Kindly revisit.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 11:56am On May 03, 2020
MinorityOpinion:
Source:https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zpvckqt/articles/z3n7mp3

There was never oromiyan that brass is not oromiyan ife never used calvary

That artwork was probably representing a nupe man or igalw or even fulanis

The Fulanis at one time attacked edo north, and edo central which the benin military succeeded in chasing them out,
After a war benin depict thier enemies warrior for historical purpose.......

Please stop posting history because you read so

Benin-ife connection was made up....
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 11:58am On May 03, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

This hold little to no significance to the topic. Kindly revisit.

What are you saying, is like you didn't read the article you posted.... Yourself
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 12:02pm On May 03, 2020
MinorityOpinion:
Source:https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zpvckqt/articles/z3n7mp3
BBC Bitesize is a program for little children.
How old are you ?
When I keep saying these Yoruba ethnocentric people reason like toddlers, people don't listen.
This guy just quoted a children's program which itself is repeating stories told by Yoruba story tellers.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 12:07pm On May 03, 2020
I would you call that artwork oromiyan did you even reason if yorubas by chance make use of calvary......

O. P is simply a Yoruba bigot.....
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 12:14pm On May 03, 2020
The thing is the Yoruba are a brand new tribe made up of several heterogeneous groups of people.

They don't even understand the concept that Benin Kingdom/empire has had a relationship with Europe since the 15th or 14th century and that the European visitors to west Africa wrote down what they saw.

This concept is strange and not understandable to the Yoruba. So they keep pushing myths/legends while actual eyewitness records are available.

1 Like

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 12:17pm On May 03, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Noted.

Stupid talk we have no connection with any ife

Tho We had nconnections with the other yorubas on a matter conquered and conqueror, the influence on edo in those areas can still be traced
Not the imaginary ife

Oduduwa is a myth nothing like Oduduwa ever existed

How would another kingdom go and beg for king from another people is that not madness
Better still just say benin migrated from ife
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 12:27pm On May 03, 2020
If a 5 year old quotes BBC Bitesize, I will not blame him or her, but to see a fully grown adult quoting BBC Bitesize is rather strange. Ethnocentrism has eaten the brains of the Yoruba.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 03, 2020
gregyboy:

There was never oromiyan that brass is not oromiyan ife never used calvary

That artwork was probably representing a nupe man or igalw or even fulanis

The Fulanis at one time attacked edo north, and edo central which the benin military succeeded in chasing them out,
After a war benin depict thier enemies warrior for historical purpose.......

Please stop posting history because you read so

Benin-ife connection was made up....

Bro. I don't care about the Benin vs ife connection. It matters not to me. As for the fulani, do you have facts to back it up? Because I think it is outrageous to just make claims that is obviously not true.

Read again what I wrote about the image before you comment sir. And again making claim of Ife not using calvary is just pathetic.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 12:38pm On May 03, 2020
Ghostwon5:
If a 5 year old quotes BBC Bitesize, I will not blame him or her, but to see a fully grown adult quoting BBC Bitesize is rather strange. Ethnocentrism has eaten the brains of the Yoruba.

BBC is an verified website. You can't just disapproved the article because its meant for children. I've read many other source that the story are the same with what's in the article. For your information. I'm not yoruba
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 12:40pm On May 03, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

BBC is an verified website. You can't just disapproved the article because its meant for children. I've read many other source that the story are the same with what's in the article. For your information. I'm not yoruba

Since quoting a children's program doesn't bother you, may I ask you what proof of the story is provided in any article whatsoever ?

Also, how did the story get to the narrators ?
The first written records of West Africa clearly show the empire of Benin being ruled by the Oba of Benin.
No eyewitness account talks about any oduduwa nor oranmiyan. There is even no precolonial account about oduduwa, oranmiyan, ogiso...the first mention of those is in the colonial period around the 1920's or 1930's.

So how did the story get to the narrator (This is an easier task than actually providing proof)
And as you will notice, it was told by someone, it wasn't witnessed by anyone.

Made up story !

This is why I don't blame 5 year olds for quoting such a story but I find it strange when fully grown adult do so and therefor show their lack of reasoning faculties.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 03, 2020
Ghostwon5:

That is Yoruba myth.
A made up story to give Yoruba a sense of self-esteem by claiming a greater people's history.
The desperation with which you guys defend this baseless myth only shows how much you need to run Benin's glorious past on Yoruba lack of history.

Yoruba are a non homogeneous people. Some of you descend from freed slaves deported from the American continent while some of you are from Dahomey, others from oyo and Ijebu.

You have no history.

Also:

1) oranmiyan is a myth, he never existed.
2) oduduwa is a myth, he never existed
3) the ogiso are myths, they never existed.
4) the first record of Oba was a reference to the Oba of Benin in the middle ages.
5) as can be seen in early colonial pictures, the Yoruba used to call their chiefs in this manner:

"ooni of ife, sir adetoye".

Notice the word "sir" is also not a Yoruba word.

Later on in the colonial era, the Yoruba dropped the word "sir" and replaced it with the word "Oba". Replacing a non Yoruba word with an other non Yoruba word but which is more African (since independence was in discussion).

6) the word Oba belongs to the Oba of Benin, Omo n'Oba n'Edo. The Yoruba copied it. Fact. Just like Benin republic copied the word "Benin" from Benin Kingdom.

Yeah Benin gets copied a lot, deal with it !

7) as can be seen in some early colonial or late precolonial pictures, the Yoruba didn't use the word Oba to describe any of their chiefs until the mid colonial era.

This is simply pathetic. I have no time to discuss the rest because it will bring us back and forth.

Your no 6: Benin republic was named after a body of water on which the body lies called bight of Benin. Its just like saying Niger state because of river Niger.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 03, 2020
gregyboy:
I would you call that artwork oromiyan did you even reason if yorubas by chance make use of calvary......

O. P is simply a Yoruba bigot.....

I'm not yoruba but read about oyo calvary. Yoruba made use of calvary. Google is your friend. Come back and prove me wrong.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 12:58pm On May 03, 2020
Ghostwon5:

Since quoting a children's program doesn't bother you, may I ask you what proof of the story is provided in any article whatsoever ?

Also, how did the story get to the narrators ?
The first written records of West Africa clearly show the empire of Benin being ruled by the Oba of Benin.
No eyewitness account talks about any oduduwa nor oranmiyan. There is even no precolonial account about oduduwa, oranmiyan, ogiso...the first mention of those is in the colonial period around the 1920's or 1930's.

So how did the story get to the narrator (This is an easier task than actually providing proof)
And as you will notice, it was told by someone, it wasn't witnessed by anyone.

Made up story !

This is why I don't blame 5 year olds for quoting such a story but I find it strange when fully grown adult do so and therefor show their lack of reasoning faculties.

I don't why you're all worked up about this. Read the history of Benin. I'm not even saying yoruba are superior to Benin. But i believe there was exchange of tradition between them before the arrival of the British. Thanks bro.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 1:02pm On May 03, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

This is simply pathetic. I have no time to discuss the rest because it will bring us back and forth.

Your no 6: Benin republic was named after a body of water on which the body lies called bight of Benin. Its just like saying Niger state because of river Niger.
Wow, so you can't see that your claim doesn't disprove mine ?
Where does the Bight of Benin take its name from ?

Answer: Benin empire !

So your claim is that Benin Republic named itself after a thing which was named after Benin empire. Well that doesn't go against my claim that Benin Republic was named after Benin empire.
The original owner of the name is still Benin empire.
In no way did I discus the reason Benin Republic copied our name. But you felt so unsecured when I shared the fact and had to try to minimize it.

Well, don't feel insecured. The success of Benin empire is not your downfall
It is only the success of Benin empire, it has nothing to do with you or your people. So stop having nightmares over it.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 1:06pm On May 03, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

I don't why you're all worked up about this. Read the history of Benin. I'm not even saying yoruba are superior to Benin. But i believe there was exchange of tradition between them before the arrival of the British. Thanks bro.
The history of Benin is not to be confused with myths which you read online.
The history of Benin comes with proof.
Eyewitness records which is what I read and quote.
Your beliefs are your beliefs, not facts.
I prefer to discus facts, not beliefs.

1 Like

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 1:30pm On May 03, 2020
Ghostwon5:

Wow, so you can't see that your claim doesn't disprove mine ?
Where does the Bight of Benin take its name from ?

Answer: Benin empire !

So your claim is that Benin Republic named itself after a thing which was named after Benin empire. Well that doesn't go against my claim that Benin Republic was named after Benin empire.
The original owner of the name is still Benin empire.
In no way did I discus the reason Benin Republic copied our name. But you felt so unsecured when I shared the fact and had to try to minimize it.

Well, don't feel insecured. The success of Benin empire is not your downfall
It is only the success of Benin empire, it has nothing to do with you or your people. So stop having nightmares over it.

The success of Benin is success of the whole Nigeria. I'm not insecure about it. I'm just putting out facts. In fact when I read about the history, I was amazed about what the Benin have accomplished in the 15 century.

The reason of this thread is not to boast or put down another ethnic group. I just found it online and put it here because I like how they explained it.

If you feel offended then, take heart.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 1:32pm On May 03, 2020
Ghostwon5:

The history of Benin is not to be confused with myths which you read online.
The history of Benin comes with proof.
Eyewitness records which is what I read and quote.
Your beliefs are your beliefs, not facts.
I prefer to discus facts, not beliefs.

For future reference. Can you give me link or article that is verifiable of the real history of Benin. That would much help.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 2:20pm On May 03, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

I'm not yoruba but read about oyo calvary. Yoruba made use of calvary. Google is your friend. Come back and prove me wrong.

Is it buy reading about it, what of it was made up

Lets imagine oyo had calvary

What about ife did you if ife had......

My friend not everything you see you post....

Oyo never calvary because it was written doesnt make it correct......
Unless you can prove it....
This days people are rewriting thier history to make it presentable, but we wont give them chances, history must not be altered
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 2:40pm On May 03, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

For future reference. Can you give me link or article that is verifiable of the real history of Benin. That would much help.
You should be able to do your own research without falling into the traps of quoting myths and fairytales. You are an adult, are you not ?

When looking at a story, check if it was written by an eyewitness, anything else is doubtful at best.

Some of the best sources in my opinion are precolonial maps. Gallica has a bunch of them. There is also one other website which I posted in one of my comments so just take a look at my comments.

Also you have university and museum libraries which host some precolonial texts:

http://library.bu.edu/c.php?g=769130&p=5518125
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 2:58pm On May 03, 2020
gregyboy:

Is it buy reading about it, what of it was made up

Lets imagine oyo had calvary

What about ife did you if ife had......

My friend not everything you see you post....

Oyo never calvary because it was written doesnt make it correct......
Unless you can prove it....
This days people are rewriting thier history to make it presentable, but we wont give them chances, history must not be altered

This one is well documented. Oyo had horses. Which made them formidable in their conquest.

If oyo have horses, what would make ife not to have when they are almost the same yoruba.

Your comment is nothing but a silly assumption.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 03, 2020
Ghostwon5:

You should be able to do your own research without falling into the traps of quoting myths and fairytales. You are an adult, are you not ?

When looking at a story, check if it was written by an eyewitness, anything else is doubtful at best.

Some of the best sources in my opinion are precolonial maps. Gallica has a bunch of them. There is also one other website which I posted in one of my comments so just take a look at my comments.

Also you have university and museum libraries which host Sims precolonial texts:

http://library.bu.edu/c.php?g=769130&p=5518125

I'll get back to you when I through gathering all my facts.
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by gregyboy(m): 5:14pm On May 03, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

This one is well documented. Oyo had horses. Which made them formidable in their conquest.

If oyo have horses, what would make ife not to have when they are almost the same yoruba.

Your comment is nothing but a silly assumption.

Ok now lets go log head
I need a written document from 1800-1897 documenting the fact oyo used calvary or even if its not written atleast archeological findings....
Showing oyo used calvary

This days we talk with fact and not stories

If you cant provide it just forget the argument and accept oyo didnt use calvary
Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 5:49pm On May 03, 2020
gregyboy:

Ok now lets go log head
I need a written document from 1800-1897 documenting the fact oyo used calvary or even if its not written atleast archeological findings....
Showing oyo used calvary

This days we talk with fact and not stories

If you cant provide it just forget the argument and accept oyo didnt use calvary

Re: History : The Kingdom Of Benin (BBC) by Nobody: 5:57pm On May 03, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

the document which you produced was written by a guy who was born in 1944, therefore it wasn't written between 1800 and 1897 as required by the guy whom you are replying.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? / Which End Should One Cut Yam From, Tail Or Head Part? / Ifa, The Enchanted Verses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.