Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One (42288 Views)

I Lost A Colleague To An Explosion At Work In Kogi (Graphic Photos) / My Bitter Experience Doing A Security Guard Job / Am I Doing The Right Thing In My Workplace? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Mike4S: 5:02pm On May 03, 2020
I graduated some years back, and never wanted to teach in secondary school‎ because of the trends in Nigerian education. I took to the labour market and focused only on primary schools. As the job did not come, I decided to include secondary schools.

One later came my way and it was the later. Having stayed long in the unemployment line, I accepted the offer. I started teaching and it was as I thought before. Having the hindsight, I did not bother. After all before the examination I will have gathered some amount. 

My colleagues were particularly vulnerable to the impact of our boss. Whenever they discuss, they always say all kind of things about the pressure from the boss. They saw it as an act of routine expediency that had to be done.

First term passed, second term passed, at this juncture, she called a meeting and we mustered. The major thrust of the meeting was the strategy to engage to pass the children.
She did not call it exam malpractice. She used a euphemistic language. At the end, she asked if we understood. Everybody nodded yes and gave an affirmative answer. This was at the end of the second term.

Soon it was time for the exam and the staff time table was out. It was arranged such that every teacher on duty will be supervising exam on the day his subject was to be taken. 

Choosing principle of expediency, I refused to take part in the exam malpractice I was uncomfortable with. 

The woman called and persuaded me to engage in the shady deal. I kept mute but inside me I had already made up my mind like the biblical Shedrack, Meshack, and Abednego.

The next day, I was on duty and I insisted on my principle of expediency. She simply gritted her teeth and moved on with it. 

Sometimes it is desirable for people to be free of fear of attack or sack as the case may be in order to invoke honest opinion.

The woman endured it because she did not have choice than to continue with me. Guess what! Some parents were ready to go with me! 
She endured it until the term ended. I was not surprised when she called me and announced my exit. 

Today, I am happy that i'm teaching in primary school where I am not forced to do exam malpractice. I'm even happy to have my pay raised.

492 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Davash222(m): 5:03pm On May 03, 2020
During my PPA, we were forced by the principal to pass everyone after the 3rd term exam. The pain of wasting your starched shirt coming to school Monday to Friday, teaching SS1 blockheads that can't recite 36 states and capitals couldn't allow me to obey the principal's order. I added extra 10 marks to all of them out of my benevolence yet none scored above 50.
The principal asked me to re-mark the scripts, I refused. My head teacher did the wayo for them. The principal refused giving me clearance form for that month.

200 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by doggedfighter(f): 5:09pm On May 03, 2020
N
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Talknochip(m): 5:18pm On May 03, 2020
Yes. 2013. May God bless u Op

4 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by dawnomike(m): 5:30pm On May 03, 2020
I can relate with the Op's experience...

2 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Mike4S: 6:12pm On May 03, 2020
There is always a silver lining that accompanies those that did things right and were not rewarded justly
Davash222:
During my PPA, we were forced by the principal to pass everyone after the 3rd term exam. The pain of wasting your starched shirt coming to school Monday to Friday, teaching SS1 blockheads that can't recite 36 states and capitals couldn't allow me to obey the principal's order. I added extra 10 marks to all of them out of my benevolence yet none scored above 50.
The principal asked me to re-mark the scripts, I refused. My head teacher did the wayo for them. The principal refused giving me clearance form for that month.

39 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by paulGrundy(m): 6:30pm On May 03, 2020
a fraudstar once approached me with a deak to help him open an account and manipulate the system for him in order to evade surveillance of monitoring agencies e.g EFCC. I would gain about 5 million for every 50 million he wired successful plus I would hit and surpass my target. It was very tempting as an ET fighting hard to be promoted to an ABO, but my conscience would not let me. after having sleepless night, I called him and politely turned down the offer.

243 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Mike4S: 6:56pm On May 03, 2020
ET and ABO stand for?
paulGrundy:
a fraudstar once approached me with a deak to help him open an account and manipulate the system for him in order to evade surveillance of monitoring agencies e.g EFCC. I would gain about 5 million for every 50 million he wired successful plus I would hit and surpass my target. It was very tempting as an ET fighting hard to be promoted to an ABO, but my conscience would not let me. after having sleepless night, I called him and politely turned down the offer.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by paulGrundy(m): 7:07pm On May 03, 2020
Mike4S:
ET and ABO stand for?
ET- executive trainee
ABO- assistant banking officer.

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Mike4S: 7:49pm On May 03, 2020
paulGrundy:

ET- executive trainee

ABO- assistant banking officer.
Sometimes it is a bait. Nice you resisted the offer

184 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by paulGrundy(m): 8:19pm On May 03, 2020
Mike4S:
Sometimes it is a bait. Nice you resisted the offer

am not sure it is. just as exam malpractice is prevalent in secondary schools. so it is also prevalent in banking. many of my colleagues do it. its like an open secret. management implicitly indirectly encourages it because it helps them meet their liquidity drive.

one of my line managers used to say this:

bring any type of money to the bank from any source, we will accept it, but do it smartly and don't allow the regulatory authorities catch you, or we deny you!

To let you know how prevalent it is in banking, a colleague of mine was implicated in a fraud scheme busted by the FBI all the way from USA that made headlines last year. her crime was that she did not do due diligence when opening the fraudsters account. the bank hired the best lawyers and fought her case, indirectly protecting the interest of the fraudster. after the whole ordeal she was promoted instantly to a branch manager. grin cheesy

371 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Mike4S: 8:21am On May 04, 2020
paulGrundy:

am not sure it is. just as exam malpractice is prevalent in secondary schools. so it is also prevalent in banking. many of my colleagues do it. its like an open secret. management implicitly indirectly encourages it because it helps them meet their liquidity drive.

bring any type of money to the bank from any source, we will accept it, but do it smartly and don't allow the regulatory authorities catch you, or we deny you!

To let you know how prevalent it is in banking, a colleague of mine was implicated in a fraud scheme busted by the FBI all the way from USA that made headlines last year. her crime was that she did not do due diligence when opening the fraudsters account. the bank hired the best lawyers and fought her case, indirectly protecting the interest of the fraudster. after the whole ordeal she was promoted instantly to a branch manager. grin cheesy
As usual, it is not how far but how well. After promoting her, she will forever have her conscience pricking her until she do the needful

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Chuky7(m): 10:15am On May 04, 2020
paulGrundy:

seriously...

you work in a bank?

5 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Chuky7(m): 10:19am On May 04, 2020
paulGrundy:

DAMN shvt just got real...A friend of mine, works in Ghana now told me about something of this nature
banks have always had the interest of the work at heart over morals.

checkout international banks like hsbc n others same practices.

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Chuky7(m): 10:21am On May 04, 2020
Lalasticlal.a you no dey support boyz ministry abi
FrontPage now

6 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Otunbaileesee(m): 5:37pm On May 04, 2020
At my last job they started hating cos my oga was praising me I left and started drawing cartoon

38 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Naija246: 5:37pm On May 04, 2020
guys please if you have a minute to spare please visit this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/5835510/first-bank-naira-debit-card

I have a very urgent problem that I need help with
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by HITMEUP4ANYBIZ(m): 5:37pm On May 04, 2020
any deal grin

Being honest is so underrated, good one OP
I have Netflix and and PIA VPN at a giveaway price

Check my signature to message me on WhatsApp
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by ishowdotgmail(m): 5:38pm On May 04, 2020
God no go shame us

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by iHart(m): 5:38pm On May 04, 2020
Your case is similar to what I experienced when I was managing a pharmaceutical company. The MD will always want me to reduce the actives and document it as standard. This started happening from my second week on the job. I insisted and never signed any of the document covering the substandard products. We fought for 1 year 3months, the man was not giving up. I tabled my resignation letter. 3 months later, I left then.

98 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Roon9(m): 5:38pm On May 04, 2020
Yea! I once got a contract job as a civil engineer. It was a federal project. Omo there were using 14 headpan of sand to 1 bag of cement.

First day on the job i was quoting BS codes upandan. It wasnt upto 1hour i got a call from Abuja (The contractor).

I hail naija

129 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by chudez0147(m): 5:38pm On May 04, 2020
here to read comments
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by bluefilm: 5:38pm On May 04, 2020
No. Never. Ever.

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by NaijaOlosho(f): 5:38pm On May 04, 2020
B
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by jericco1(m): 5:38pm On May 04, 2020
undecided
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Cladez(m): 5:40pm On May 04, 2020
Most people get burnt for doing what is right

10 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Infogetong(f): 5:40pm On May 04, 2020
Intriguing that's almost normal in atypical Nigerian school.

How to earn some money form your jumia pay  

When you refer a friend to JumiaPay, you earn ₦500 for every friend that's signs up with your referral link. Your friend can also get 20% cash back on first transaction when they use voucher code WELCOME20.
Register and get more details here
http://top.infobet.tech/j-1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by paulGrundy(m): 5:40pm On May 04, 2020
Mike4S:

As usual, it is not how far but how well. After promoting her, she will forever have her conscience pricking her until she do the needful

many people do not have conscience oh. you will be very surprised at how many people will scorn you for your moral stance.

121 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Galactico4ever(m): 5:41pm On May 04, 2020
I really commend your morals and principles but this is reality:ojoro will never be eliminated in this country.

4 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 04, 2020
grin grin grin

I remember when I served (NYSC) some years ago in a village secondary school. The experience was amazing because i gave everything that I had intellectually, to see that the students learnt something good and new. I was the only one using YouTube to teach (thanks to the good glo network in the village).

One day, I sent most of the students out because of their attitude. The principal saw them and started shouting "Corper, allow them to go inside the classroom" I had to shout back "Sir, I cannot allow them to go inside...I told them to stay outside." The principal was weak and surprised

Weeks to exam, the principal called me and told me this is a village school and I want you to show the students 5 questions out of the 6. E shock me wella. I couldn't do it because I believed it wasn't right.

I believe even though we all sinners, we should always do what's right...best.

OP, I salute you.

145 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Kizzygentle: 5:41pm On May 04, 2020
Modified.
Am sorry guys for such advice. A lot of meaningful people have mentioned my post and have reasoned all of them. I believe at the end honesty and deligence pays. If it dosent favour u today its an open door for a bigger blessing tomorrow. And God will never understand anything wrong or evil. May d good lord continue to guide our thoughts and doings.

26 Likes 6 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Is The Start Up Salary Of An Air Force Recruit With SSCE? / Doctors' Call Duty Bed At UDUTH Accident & Emergency Department!!! / Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.