Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One (42387 Views)

I Lost A Colleague To An Explosion At Work In Kogi (Graphic Photos) / My Bitter Experience Doing A Security Guard Job / Am I Doing The Right Thing In My Workplace? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Osesedney: 1:03am On May 05, 2020
I saved in Kano and was teaching chemistry..
The owner of the school called a meeting before waec for us to assist the student.
I was irritated by the whole ideal cos the student got to kwn what was on ground and became unserious... myself and a few other corpers decided not to be part of it ...
We told the serious student to sit up, we even organize free extra classes for them in areas they are lacking
On the day of the exam there was no show for them.
Those few did very well, non of the failed chemistry...
Most of them re in tertiary institution now.
It was really fulfilling...
Years after service they still call me sometime

4 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by sketcherJ(m): 1:04am On May 05, 2020
MrCork17:

Please can u accepts 1000 naira cash for kiss,hug,romance & extra hug n kiss please? I will pay u cash up front sir wink
lol bro. Your #1000 nefa finis?

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by illicit(m): 3:29am On May 05, 2020
if you are ever arrested in the company of yahoo boys,
if u claim to be innocent. The police will treat them fine and embarass u
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Nobody: 3:46am On May 05, 2020
pahen1991:
Nobody gives a Bleep about you. I regret working in a one man company
We leave (not live) and we learn.
Life continues.

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by obidaddy: 4:15am On May 05, 2020
Kizzygentle:
In dis life there is nothing like right or wrong to succeed. Just be in d game and follow d trend. Gone are d days u try to be honest. Even honest workers are been fired for been honest and they regret not been honest. God himself will understand. Its survival. The world has changed and we need to be updated with d changes.

Sorry, God is not man, his standards never change. If man changes the world with mismangment, corruption and evil, God Almighty will never understand, neither will he accept nor adjust.

You are just a typical Nigerian without conscience. You believe in bread and butter. Your types are reasons houses collapse and kill people, substandard & fake drugs kill people, goods & products fail without value for money.

Oga your rationalization is not valid. Look around your country Nigeria compare it with others, especially the west, where they don't really know God, but uphold principles of fairness, hardwork & dilligence. Compare and tell me if it is as bad as Nigeria.

For dragging God Almighty unjustly into whitewashing evil, you shall be exposed & disgraced in whatevee you do & cut corners therein.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by bolinjkezzy(m): 4:15am On May 05, 2020
Roon9:
Yea! I once got a contract job as a civil engineer. It was a federal project. Omo there were using 14 headpan of sand to 1 bag of cement.

First day on the job i was quoting BS codes upandan. It wasnt upto 1hour i got a call from Abuja (The contractor).

I hail naija
I can relate with this being a civil engineering, I can't do it too, will be like the building will collapse soon.
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by verifiedlegacy: 6:32am On May 05, 2020
Roon9:

Yes sir

can I get ur wassap number preferably, or I send mine to u??
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Psoul(m): 7:46am On May 05, 2020
paulGrundy:

your scenario is false because the bank would not want to do anything that works against her interest of which one of them is to retain as much deposit as possible.

cases like these is usually the case of lone wolf e.g

1 An unscrupulous bank official conniving with fraudsters.
2 A hacker that has access to sensitive details of customers.

usually when perpetuators are caught, the bank wastes no time in dealing with them.

Oga your scenario is in an ideal state where bank will be very careful not to do anything that will jeopardize is trust and reputation. Here in this country, most banks don't give a damn so long as they have the big boys in the government behind them.

You said that most banks support their staff in openings fraudulent accounts to all those fraudsters with big money but will only advice you to be very "smart" in handling such risky and fraudulent transactions as the bank will deny the staff if regulatory bodies find out.

You also sited another scenario where the bank had to hire good lawyers to defend a woman staff of the bank involved in such shady deal that got revealed. You said that after the judgment that the woman was promoted.

Now can you tell me how a single bank that does this will not be comfortable to connive with Criminals to defraud her customers?

I still maintain my stand that you bankers (if you're not among them, fine) and your managements do connive with bad boys to defraud your customers. That's why most time customers meet stringent conditions with banks in trying to get details of who defrauded them.
Banks give unresearched POS to criminals which they use to rob ppl.

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Roon9(m): 7:51am On May 05, 2020
ghettochild4u:

How many headpans was the standard...
I remembered when I use to do pounpoun work after sec sch...
Na 11 to 1 bag

Lols! Ideally it should be 7 water level to 1 bag

2 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by afecgivers: 8:09am On May 05, 2020
Mike4S:
I graduated some years back, and never wanted to teach in secondary school‎ because of the trends in Nigerian education. I took to the labour market and focused only on primary schools. As the job did not come, I decided to include secondary schools.

One later came my way and it was the later. Having stayed long in the unemployment line, I accepted the offer. I started teaching and it was as I thought before. Having the hindsight, I did not bother. After all before the examination I will have gathered some amount. 

My colleagues were particularly vulnerable to the impact of our boss. Whenever they discuss, they always say all kind of things about the pressure from the boss. They saw it as an act of routine expediency that had to be done.

First term passed, second term passed, at this juncture, she called a meeting and we mustered. The major thrust of the meeting was the strategy to engage to pass the children.
She did not call it exam malpractice. She used a euphemistic language. At the end, she asked if we understood. Everybody nodded yes and gave an affirmative answer. This was at the end of the second term.

Soon it was time for the exam and the staff time table was out. It was arranged such that every teacher on duty will be supervising exam on the day his subject was to be taken. 

Choosing principle of expediency, I refused to take part in the exam malpractice I was uncomfortable with. 

The woman called and persuaded me to engage in the shady deal. I kept mute but inside me I had already made up my mind like the biblical Shedrack, Meshack, and Abednego.

The next day, I was on duty and I insisted on my principle of expediency. She simply gritted her teeth and moved on with it. 

Sometimes it is desirable for people to be free of fear of attack or sack as the case may be in order to invoke honest opinion.

The woman endured it because she did not have choice than to continue with me. Guess what! Some parents were ready to go with me! 
She endured it until the term ended. I was not surprised when she called me and announced my exit. 

Today, I am happy that i'm teaching in primary school where I am not forced to do exam malpractice. I'm even happy to have my pay raised.

I suspect! This is where your problem lies: Guess what! Some parents were ready to go with me!
She endured it until the term ended. I was not surprised when she called me and announced my exit.

You might have been exposing the institution secrets to parents and not all were with you as you claimed.
One thing you must know again is that if you are working in a one-man business...you do not have your own principle, you work with the principle of your employer. So your doing the right thing in such a setting is relative. Your diligence will pay off in the longrun. Weldone

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Angrymode: 8:34am On May 05, 2020
Been there on three occasions n guess what, they couldn't sack me because I lay down my principles as soon as I step into any organization.

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Franky826: 9:25am On May 05, 2020
Otunbaileesee:
At my last job they started hating cos my oga was praising me I left and started drawing cartoon

LMAO! That's Savage! grin

Did you make money out of it though?
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by alphaNomega: 10:09am On May 05, 2020
iHart:
Your case is similar to what I experienced when I was managing a pharmaceutical company. The MD will always want me to reduce the actives and document it as standard. This started happening from my second week on the job. I insisted and never signed any of the document covering the substandard products. We fought for 1 year 3months, the man was not giving up. I tabled my resignation letter. 3 months later, I left then.

If you can drop a hint of this pharmaceutical company elsewhere, I can take it up from there.
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by alphaNomega: 10:10am On May 05, 2020
Roon9:
Yea! I once got a contract job as a civil engineer. It was a federal project. Omo there were using 14 headpan of sand to 1 bag of cement.

First day on the job i was quoting BS codes upandan. It wasnt upto 1hour i got a call from Abuja (The contractor).

I hail naija

See why buildings collapse and people die
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Mike4S: 10:52am On May 05, 2020
valentineuwakwe:

my dear he owe them an explanation to either accept to be part of it or not,mots a meeting called by the head of the school.of you are not going to be a part of it, you signal it there and let them know your stand.keeping mute signals your agreement with them. so on the d day you reneged on the agreement of yes which you agreed earlier in the staff room by keeping mute...well the end justifies it all.
You kept pursuing this line of argument. Let me make it clear that there was no such mention of exam malpractice. She rose on the meeting to discuss a status quo that I was not part of in the beginning or their previous meeting, and it carried unanimous, whilst not giving dissident like me opportunity to voice out.
I gave example of the bible characters in my post. Those three Hebrew men did not oppose the law made, but they stood their ground when forced to do it.

2 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by kunletexs: 11:29am On May 05, 2020
Davash222:

Frankly, the community just don't like school. It's an oil community.

Are you minding to comments on that shallow minded idiot. She can come and teach you how to mark.
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by kunletexs: 11:30am On May 05, 2020
Davash222:

Frankly, the community just don't like school. It's an oil community.

Are you minding to comments on that shallow minded idiot. She can come and teach you how to mark.
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by KenModi(m): 12:24pm On May 05, 2020
paulGrundy:

am not sure it is. just as exam malpractice is prevalent in secondary schools. so it is also prevalent in banking. many of my colleagues do it. its like an open secret. management implicitly indirectly encourages it because it helps them meet their liquidity drive.

one of my line managers used to say this:

bring any type of money to the bank from any source, we will accept it, but do it smartly and don't allow the regulatory authorities catch you, or we deny you!

To let you know how prevalent it is in banking, a colleague of mine was implicated in a fraud scheme busted by the FBI all the way from USA that made headlines last year. her crime was that she did not do due diligence when opening the fraudsters account. the bank hired the best lawyers and fought her case, indirectly protecting the interest of the fraudster. after the whole ordeal she was promoted instantly to a branch manager. grin cheesy

Chai! And this same people are expecting Buhari to perform magic.

I laugh in corruption grin grin grin
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by KenModi(m): 12:27pm On May 05, 2020
Roon9:

I hail naija

Nigeria is rotten with corruption to the core!

This is why I keep saying anyone expecting Nigeria to get better should forget it.

Nigerian is like a meat that has gone bad and is irredeemable. Just fight for yourself and family.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Chuky7(m): 1:24pm On May 05, 2020
yyba:
I hope you are not about to send your account number to Jim? grin

NO ...why would i?
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by meum: 1:26pm On May 05, 2020
My employer wanted to launder money through my account instead of the sibling's account and I politely declined. That's when problems started. I just resigned with my integrity.
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by StephenJoseph(m): 5:28pm On May 05, 2020
Davash222:
Delta State, 2015

Ok. Mine is Anambra state, 2019. I can relate to your story
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Dshocker(m): 5:20am On May 06, 2020
paulGrundy:
a fraudstar once approached me with a deak to help him open an account and manipulate the system for him in order to evade surveillance of monitoring agencies e.g EFCC. I would gain about 5 million for every 50 million he wired successful plus I would hit and surpass my target. It was very tempting as an ET fighting hard to be promoted to an ABO, but my conscience would not let me. after having sleepless night, I called him and politely turned down the offer.

You are a mumu man....Years later you will regret it,i bet you.
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by tammie24: 5:51am On May 06, 2020
akinjojo1234:

What do you people gain by space booking? angry
Learn to mind your business

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by tammie24: 5:59am On May 06, 2020
Okoloo:
The owner of this number is a 419 07031886892. If he meets a lady he will promise to marry the lady now now and once he marry you in court, he will ask the lady to give him all the money she has because he wants to be in charge of your life. Once he get hold of the money, you won't see him again and he moves to his next victim. He has done so to many ladies.Please be careful of any man that wants to marry you now now and always make sure you meet his family.
what

A whole marriage
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by tammie24: 8:00am On May 06, 2020
tonididdy:
Yes I have.
I think few days ago I thought of sharing a similar topic, well now that you did. I will just share my own story here.

Many years ago, I was working in a pure water factory owned by a member of the Edo state house of assembly. My job description was to pack pure water bags in the truck and sometimes act as a motor boy.
The motor boy part was my favorite because it meant extra cash and the company truck driver happened to be my friend from a filling station I used to work before.

On the day I was fired lol from pure water company grin, my phone rang and it was the company truck driver ("my friend" ), he called to tell me, to tell the manager the truck had broken down (engine issues), so I passed the message to the manager and the manager was furious lamenting how the driver is always full of bad luck and excuses. When the driver was asked his location, he said outskirts of EDo... This made the manager and also the supervisor even angrier. They said it wasn't water he had gone to sell otherwise what is he doing near Delta State.
Now this driver friend does go very far, I mean very far into villages and communities just to sell water and meet the days target so for me I wasn't surprised his location.
I was just afraid they would use his location as an excuse to blackmail him for using the truck for other outside company activities hence the truck repairs maybe on him.
I called my friend back in secret and told him the manager was claiming he didn't go to sell water, that he went on some other activities and he should be careful the way he talks with them.

Long story cut short... They tow the truck back to the factory after many hours and I noticed the stare both the manager and the supervisor gave me. Few minutes later the supervisor returned from his office and handed me an envelope. It was a sack letter. In his words he said "I couldn't keep company secrets and I am a threat to the existence of the business ".

At that moment it dawned on me the driver, my supposed friend had betrayed me or angrily spoke of what he had heard and went as far as giving details of who told him what he had heard.

That was it... Job lost.
quite funny

A lesson to learn

Trust no one!

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by inyanging: 3:29pm On May 06, 2020
After all says& done , it pays to be upright ,maintain integrity ,have of God , the reward Wii surely come
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Okoloo: 5:01pm On May 08, 2020
tammie24:
what

A whole marriage
yes oo...he has married alot of girls in court. Once he is done with you, he changes his number and move to his next victim...do you guys think I should bring his identity here?..he has different face book account. We could be helping our girls.
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by tammie24: 7:37pm On May 08, 2020
Okoloo:
yes oo...he has married alot of girls in court. Once he is done with you, he changes his number and move to his next victim...do you guys think I should bring his identity here?..he has different face book account. We could be helping our girls.
the girls are to blame in this case cos how do you marry someone without knowing him in and out

Haba

Too many desperados

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Doctors' Call Duty Bed At UDUTH Accident & Emergency Department!!! / Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs. / 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.