Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,943 members, 7,852,182 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 01:37 PM

Make Your CV Stand Out - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Make Your CV Stand Out (197 Views)

How To Construct Your CV To Get Multiple Invites / 12 Viruses In Your Cv / Get A Job With The Right Cv - Allow Me Rewrite Your Cv To Meet That Job Standard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Make Your CV Stand Out by adedunsin: 10:49pm On May 03, 2020
I am O C Kemi a Professional with 11 years proven performance recruiting, screening, and placing supervisory, customer service, and administrative candidates. I am here to walk you through the process of getting your CV stand out by yourself in other to land that dream job.
Covid 19 is changing our world as we know it, a whole lot of economic chaos is currently happening as you already know but all the same it is best you position yourself for incoming opportunities. As it stands now you just have to “hope for the best and prepare for the worst”

Bad News:
A whole lot of job has been lost, is been lost and will be lost.

Good News:
A whole lot of jobs will also be available pretty soon.
Now how do you rightly position yourself for such jobs.
Simple get yourself a Stand Out CV.

I have seen a world of CVs and I end up asking myself one question: Why do employees think of only themselves when preparing their CV.
NOTE:
Your CV is all about you but not meant for you.
Your CV is meant for your employer.
Your employer only considers you for the job when your CV gets to him
Your CV does not get to the employer when it gets on his desk or into his mailbox
Your CV gets to your employer when He /She can spend more than 30 seconds reading it thereby
studying areas of interest within for further consideration.
So your focus and emphasis should be on the things that interests your Employer.
There are five major parts of a CV listed in no particular order:
1. Personal Details
2. Statement Of Experience
3. Header & Professional Summary/Profile
4. Education
5. Skills
Without bothering you any further how do you make you CV stand out
Take a good look at your current CV and check out the things I will be enumerating as I take the parts one after the other.
Let me quickly give out general points
1. Make use of readable fonts like Helvetica, Times New Roman, Cambria, Arial, Calibri, Book Antiqua etc.
2. It is a good idea to use the same font all through the CV (Avoid using several fonts)
3. The regular font size for CV is 12, don’t go below 10.5 for bold fonts
4. Don’t design your CV except you are a graphic artist.
5. If you are adding urls to your CV, make sure the links can be clicked right from your CV.
I will continue from there in my next post.
Cheers and Stay Safe
Re: Make Your CV Stand Out by abdulramon1930: 12:00pm On May 04, 2020
adedunsin:

I am O C Kemi a Professional with 11 years proven performance recruiting, screening, and placing supervisory, customer service, and administrative candidates. I am here to walk you through the process of getting your CV stand out by yourself in other to land that dream job.
Covid 19 is changing our world as we know it, a whole lot of economic chaos is currently happening as you already know but all the same it is best you position yourself for incoming opportunities. As it stands now you just have to “hope for the best and prepare for the worst”

Bad News:
A whole lot of job has been lost, is been lost and will be lost.

Good News:
A whole lot of jobs will also be available pretty soon.
Now how do you rightly position yourself for such jobs.
Simple get yourself a Stand Out CV.

I have seen a world of CVs and I end up asking myself one question: Why do employees think of only themselves when preparing their CV.
NOTE:
Your CV is all about you but not meant for you.
Your CV is meant for your employer.
Your employer only considers you for the job when your CV gets to him
Your CV does not get to the employer when it gets on his desk or into his mailbox
Your CV gets to your employer when He /She can spend more than 30 seconds reading it thereby
studying areas of interest within for further consideration.
So your focus and emphasis should be on the things that interests your Employer.
There are five major parts of a CV listed in no particular order:
1. Personal Details
2. Statement Of Experience
3. Header & Professional Summary/Profile
4. Education
5. Skills
Without bothering you any further how do you make you CV stand out
Take a good look at your current CV and check out the things I will be enumerating as I take the parts one after the other.
Let me quickly give out general points
1. Make use of readable fonts like Helvetica, Times New Roman, Cambria, Arial, Calibri, Book Antiqua etc.
2. It is a good idea to use the same font all through the CV (Avoid using several fonts)
3. The regular font size for CV is 12, don’t go below 10.5 for bold fonts
4. Don’t design your CV except you are a graphic artist.
5. If you are adding urls to your CV, make sure the links can be clicked right from your CV.
I will continue from there in my next post.
Cheers and Stay Safe

Wow
I must upgrade my CV for another job.
Where I work could be up to something this time.
Re: Make Your CV Stand Out by adedunsin: 5:47pm On May 04, 2020
The very first part of your CV is your Header & Professional Statement/Profile.
It starts with your Full Name which can be in the middle or aligned to the left followed by your address, Phone Number and E-mail Address.
Your Profile /Professional Summary should follow immediately after that.
Your Profile is like a 6 seconds summary of your CV. It contains a rounded information of you and what you have to offer.

Example of Profile for a Healthcare Administrator
Highly successful results oriented healthcare executive with Masters of Public Health and Health Care Administration. Hands-on expertise in Emergency Medicine, Operations, Finance, Nursing, Strategic Planning, and Communication.

Yet another Example of Profile for a Business Manager.
Entrepreneurial Manager with ten years of sales, business development, customer relations, and project management experience in the consumer products and services industry.

Many make a mistake of starting their CV with their Personal Information. It is your personal information not that of your potential employers. Your Personal Information does not tell your Employer what values you can bring to the organization neither does it state what contributions you can make.
But your Profile /Professional Summary does in few seconds. Like the example above, make it specific, precise and short.
Immediately after that Comrades list your Skill Set/ Areas Of Expertise. Use bullets to list the relevant skills that you possess.
Make sure the skills are relevant to the post or position you are applying for.
Example of skill set for a Creative Designer/Administrator

• Corel Draw • Photoshop • Illustrator
• Lightroom • Adobe After Effects • Adobe Premiere
• Video Scribe • Various Camera Systems • Lighting Systems
• Visio • Power Point • Microsoft Word

This core skills list creates a one look shot of what you are offering, which can be digested by employers, as soon as they open the CV – it’s a great way to kick your CV off with a ghen ghen.
Next is your Work Experience as you guys call it. I have a better idea though:
Why dont you call it:
Statement Of Experience
Professional Experience
Experience & Accomplishments
The experience is not just for work, It can contain your roles as a volunteer, an apprentice, a leader or an intern.
We will spend some time here cos this is what sells you to your employer.
If you have work experience (even in the form of voluntary roles or placements) then be sure to write about them in detail to show readers how you can apply your skills in the workplace. Break roles up into manageable bullet points and try to include some impressive achievements for each one.
One very popular error in CV is when people just write the name of the company they work or have worked, their position and the time line.
Examples below
 F & B Supervisor Olart Hotel and Suite Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State. 2017- 2018
Supervisor
 High School Science Teacher May, 2015-April, 2016
Secondary School, Okat-Onna, Eket, Akwa-Ibom, Nigeria

Some people will often time list their duties under the listings. These does not tell a story of your efficiency or capacities or even inputs in your previous employments to your potential employer.
You don’t just tell them what you did, you show them what you did by:
Showing your problem solving skills in actual outcome
Quantifying your contributions in numbers and percentages
Qualifying your details with appropriate verbs like: achieved,” “advised,” “negotiated” “established” etc.

A few examples to show you how to do these:

THE EDGE HUMAN IKOYI LAGOS, 7/2006 - 12/2008
Marketing Coordinator
Recruited as first marketing professional for company whose only prior marketing had been advertisements in the Yellow Pages. Challenged to create consistent messaging for 3 distinct entities.
 Grew revenue by 47% in the first year and 62% in the second by developing comprehensive strategy that included web, print, and local radio
advertising.
 Created distinct brand strategies for each of the 3 separate businesses to eliminate customer confusion and improve sales.
High School Science Teacher May, 2015 - April, 2016

Secondary School, Okat-Onna, Eket, Akwa-Ibom, Nigeria
 Attended staff development programmes, curriculum development meetings and in-service programs.
 Established and maintained high standards of students behaviour.
 Designed engaging and interactive lesson plans and clearly defined lesson.
 Evaluated students’ progress towards learning objectives, expectations and goals by grading assignments and conducting routine assessments
such as quizzes and tests.
 Supervised students during out-of-classroom activities such as assemblies and field

XYZ Fashion Inc. Asokoro Abuja | 2018 – Present
Social Media Assistant (Freelance)
Currently help family-owned business with all aspects of social media as a way to gain experience while also driving sales gains for the company.
 Grew Twitter following from 24 to 1,650 in just a few months by curating interesting content and building relationships. Just launched Facebook
page and experimenting with Facebook ads to grow this fan base.
I believe you have an idea now just make sure you tailor your points to sync with their needs so your Potential employer has an idea of your
relevance in your previous jobs.
So like I said earlier get your CV out and start making adjustments.
I will continue on my next post people.
Please remember to stay safe(It is your duty to yourself)

(1) (Reply)

Should Nigerians Really Be Paying Tax To Our Government? / Get My First Book On Amazon / ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONICS Engineering Project Topics & Materials.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.