Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,808 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise (47165 Views)

Deep Down Inside Me, I Feel Guilt And Hated Myself For What I Have Been Doing / Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise / SUBEB: My Mother Was Cheated And Harassed At Her Workplace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Ffolksy: 10:50am On May 05, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I want to run this through this platform, perhaps I would get some useful input.

I switched companies in March. It was basically due to locations. I was doing fine at my former company. I moved to the latter one because it's close to my house and offered a little salary raise. Turned out it would be my worst career decision.

First week in April after the lockdown was announced, the company came up with a work from home policy which stated that staff were meant to work only Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Consequently, only 70 percent of basic salary (without the allowances) would be paid, and worse, computation would be made for only the number of days (I.e, 12 days a month).

We were assured it's just for the lockdown period, and that things would return to normal afterwards.

Surprisingly, by third week of April, about 90% of staff (including I) was laid off, giving us one week notice.

Yesterday, i got N36,000 from them as my salary for April. My agreed net salary before accepting their offer was N240,000, and that's what I got in March

Considering I'm being laid off, shouldn't they have at least paid the full salary for the month? I feel greatly cheated. Any advice, please?

Thank you.

64 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Emmyloyalty: 11:05am On May 05, 2020
Was there any policy in the company as regards economic emergencies? If there was, it should have been stated there the decision(s) the board would take during economic crisis (which I believe is what the company is facing) and it will be required of their employees to accept such policy on accepting the Job offer.

So did you sign or accept anything like that?

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Ecbatana: 11:10am On May 05, 2020
While I'm trying my best to retain and maintain my three members of staff...

OP aim towards starting something of your own, may God see you thru.

CEO dreams. I'll get there someday.

120 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Ffolksy: 11:23am On May 05, 2020
Emmyloyalty:
Was there any policy in the company as regards economic emergencies? If there was, it should have been stated there the decision(s) the board would take during economic crisis (which I believe is what the company is facing) and it will be required of their employees to accept such policy on accepting the Job offer.

So did you sign or accept anything like that?

There's nothing like that. The work from home policy was via email. My concern is shouldn't they have paid my full salary as agreed, considering that's what's on my contract? Can I take them up? If yes, how can I?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by ebexofficial: 11:35am On May 05, 2020
Oga, this is Nigeria and most MDs & CEOs have agreed to do this.

During the third week of lockdown I spoke with my former MD on phone and he disclosed to me that the lockdown will not be the issue but after lockdown many would lose their jobs and many employees may not be able to afford the luxury of going to work everyday.

He is the past president of institute of directors and I knew he was telling me what they planned on doing.

Two things that will happen: they lay off staffs or they owe salaries.

135 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Jokerman(m): 1:40pm On May 05, 2020
Sorry about this bro...

3 Likes

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by zedegit: 2:03pm On May 05, 2020
Jokerman:
Sorry about this bro...

240000/30 days= 8,000 per day, so counting 3 days per week for 3 weeks, meaning you worked 9 times in a month, hence,

8000*9= 72,000

But 70/100 * 72000= 7200*7= 50,400 (might be wrong though)

Or you worked 2 weeks (6 days from home)

8000*6= 48000

70/100*48000= 4800*7= 33,600

However you can count your losses and move on. It would be a waste of time even if you involve a lawyer, coz the lawyer would be bribed

. See this situation

See how you are disgracing yourself all over Nairaland.

Please don't ever quote me again.

If you do, 2030 ban will be the least of worries. angry

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by danduchi(m): 5:16pm On May 05, 2020
Ffolksy:
Hi Everyone,

I want to run this through this platform, perhaps I would get some useful input.

I switched companies in March. It was basically due to locations. I was doing fine at my former company. I moved to the latter one because it's close to my house and offered a little salary raise. Turned out it would be my worst career decision.

First week in April after the lockdown was announced, the company came up with a work from home policy which stated that staff were meant to work only Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Consequently, only 70 percent of basic salary (without the allowances) would be paid, and worse, computation would be made for only the number of days (I.e, 12 days a month).

We were assured it's just for the lockdown period, and that things would return to normal afterwards.

Surprisingly, by third week of April, about 90% of staff (including I) was laid off, giving us one week notice.

Yesterday, i got N36,000 from them as my salary for April. My agreed net salary before accepting their offer was N240,000, and that's what I got in March

Considering I'm being laid off, shouldn't they have at least paid the full salary for the month? I feel greatly cheated. Any advice, please?

Thank you.
mark my quote, 'you get a better job soon again'

99 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Emmyloyalty: 5:30pm On May 05, 2020
Ffolksy:

There's nothing like that. The work from home policy was via email. My concern is shouldn't they have paid my full salary as agreed, considering that's what's on my contract? Can I take them up? If yes, how can I?

Yes, you can challenge them but only in court and I doubt if you'd want to waste that much a money for filing a law suit and getting a competent lawyer.

Simply report them to God and watch him avenge you.

, this is front page worthy.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by tasceige(m): 6:10pm On May 05, 2020
Wow!!

Sorry to hear that!!
I really do not know the terms and condition of the contract you might have signed before accepting the offer.

I'm here to read and learn for a friend also in same dilemma just that in her terms, something of this nature was in her contract letter and she signed for it.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 05, 2020
That's Nigeria for u... Evil people everywhere

Guys pls help me
If I want to learn software programming, is it better I learn it online or go learn it in a center?

Like how much is needed to learn it in ikeja

Actually I av tried learning but I got bored of it learning it myself

Secondly, someone gave me access to a cloud storage, I can find how to learn digital market, seo and so many plus videos.

I don't know which one I shud take up

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 05, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Miracle4Sure: 6:10pm On May 05, 2020
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by iHart(m): 6:11pm On May 05, 2020
I don't really get this sacking of a thing. Why don't they suspend the staff? When things return to normal, the reabsorb them. Or are they saying they will start afresh to recruit and train staff when things get back to normal?

46 Likes

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by 24kmagic: 6:11pm On May 05, 2020
kiss
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Slawormir: 6:11pm On May 05, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

3 Likes

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by omorttee4u(m): 6:11pm On May 05, 2020
Life is full of cheat. Brace up bro.

3 Likes

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Lovelies1: 6:11pm On May 05, 2020
Hi
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Peterobi90: 6:12pm On May 05, 2020
But CBN said no company should lay off without its approval...
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by moscobabs(m): 6:12pm On May 05, 2020
cheesy wink
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by wonuks(m): 6:12pm On May 05, 2020
sad
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by tonididdy(m): 6:13pm On May 05, 2020
Ffolksy:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you.
Oga it's the corona effect... Take heart, you should be happy you got anything at all because even if they didn't pay you off... There is little you can do about it.
At this moment police and lawyers don't want any cases
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by BOOOMNAIJA: 6:13pm On May 05, 2020
Many nairalanders are jobless....I hope u get d right advice from pple who might perhaps be happy with ur present predicament. grin

Meanwhile, today is my birthday, show me some love.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Ishilove: 6:13pm On May 05, 2020
Sometimes the grass is not always greener on the other side. If you had known you would have just quietly stayed with your former company.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by drlaykay(m): 6:14pm On May 05, 2020
I'm very pained at your error. A case of hero to zero. If you made that switch in March you aren't intelligent enough.

It will be very difficult to have a favorable legal battle owing to the covid 19 economic crisis that will appeal to the judges.

All over the world, this is projected to happen.

We are yet to see the full effect of covid 19, so much doom and disaster await the world if a vaccine is not discovered in time.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Millenniumlady(f): 6:15pm On May 05, 2020
Take them to court sad
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by showafrica(m): 6:15pm On May 05, 2020
Ffolksy:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you.

You even get something.. Our own penny we no get and they promised us half salary from the time Coro was still in China because, somehow it affected us. Since January, we never get any kobo. I have noticed that private companies always want to cheat there staffs, i dont know why. I would have preferred they lay us off and pay us off.

26 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fulani, Abubakar Adamu 'Ano' Promoted To Brigadier General In Nigerian Army / Nigerian Lady, Olabisi Is A Carpenter & She's Very Proud Of It (Pics) / How I Got Fired From Chevron By A Gay Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.