Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,632 members, 7,809,370 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? (1762 Views)

USA Politician Supports Biafra Referendum / Should Nigeria Be Divided Into North And South Separate Countries Like Sudan? / The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Zuha(f): 8:02pm On Jan 11, 2011
I have gone through a lot of threads and have realised that as Nigerians, we harbour a lot of bitterness both within our ethnic groups and across ethnic groups.

[b]Yorubas: [/b]We are supposed to be educated and we boast of the highest number of educated people in the country. Despite this, we are not able to translate this to wealth and power. We see the northerners as uneducated and it baffles us how they are able to keep hold of the power that has continued to elude us. We sometimes feel that we should pull out of the country from the north although we have not been able to think out how to go about this. The other tribes especially the Igbos are seen as opportunistic and grabbers who will do anything to get rich. We seem stuck in this entity called Nigeria and we don't know how to pull out of it.

Hausas: [/b]We feel privileged that we have been in the corridors of power but still baffled that our literacy level is still alarmingly low. We still have strife amongst ourselves although others don't know that but we stay together to be able to stand the challenges posed by the south. We hold on to our religion as it has evidently been out source of strength and has helped us to dominate in the country with assistance from our brothers all over the world.

[b]Igbos:
We feel aggrieved that the issue of the civil war has been swept under the carpet. It seems as though no one but us wants to know about it. We feel discriminated against anywhere we live across the country especially in the North and in Niger Delta who hates our guts. The people who we feel were responsible for the genocide against us in 60s are hailed as national heroes much to our dismay. We will give anything to pull out of the country as we feel that the other tribes are pulling us down and we don't really care about the Niger Delta going with us as they are deluded to think by their fathers.

Niger Delta: We see ourselves as the source of wealth for the country. Despite this, we have been brushed aside by every tribe in the country especially the Igbos. They came into our territory before the civil war and dominated everything almost chasing us from our lands and resources. Injustices done to us have been swept under the carpet. Take the Saro Wiwa issue, the Odi issue amongst others. Even the people who are supposed to fight for our resources seem to be fighting for themselves. Our leaders tell us a lot about how other tribes have been trying to take advantage of us but when the little resources that trickles down gets to them, they keep it to themselves.

Minority tribes: We hate being called minority and the fact that we get attached to the nearest major ethnic group. We seem not to have a voice in the country. When the major tribes say something they appear to be better heard than us. Sometimes we get annexed to them especially when we live far from home like the Ibibio man being mistaken as Igbo if he lives in the north etc.

[b]My question now is: [/b]Since we all feel bad and insecure in one way or the other, how can we work together to diminish the difference between us and highlight or strengths so that we can move forward? What are your suggestions about how to placate those who feel aggrieved amongst us rather than diminishing how they feel? How can we work together to change the world perspective of us? The reason why I am asking this question is that I have noted the level of bitterness and prejudice in everyone posting something on this website but no one seems to think that this is really a big cog in our wheel of progress. Do we need a unity referendum like Southern Sudan?
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by MShittu: 8:09pm On Jan 11, 2011
A sovereign national conference in which each and every one of Nigeria's tribes is represented and one that leads to the formulation of a people's constitution and gives every tribe the right to their own government, thereby turning the Nigerian state into a simple container state that also serves as a military, diplomatic and economic umbrella and, possibly,brining an end to our ethnic conflicts.
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Olaedo1: 8:14pm On Jan 11, 2011
MShittu:

A sovereign national conference in which each and every one of Nigeria's tribes is represented and one that leads to the formulation of a people's constitution and gives every tribe the right to their own government, thereby turning the Nigerian state into a simple container state that also serves as a military, diplomatic and economic umbrella and, possibly,brining an end to our ethnic conflicts.

That was tried already, The Aburi Accord.The northerners never lived by the agreement. All others the Igbos, Yorubas,and other southerners agreed to it but they were back stabbed by the greedy northerners. Its not happening, the country should just split.
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Zuha(f): 9:10pm On Jan 11, 2011
MShittu:

Thats really thoughtful and sounds like a United States of Nigeria. I don't know if this will be agreeable to every faction in 9ja.
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Dede1(m): 9:15pm On Jan 11, 2011
@OP

Please remove the paragraph headed by Niger Delta because “Niger Delta” does not exist in the context of your post.
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Afam4eva(m): 9:20pm On Jan 11, 2011
@ OP
why do i have a feeling that you hate Igbos. What do you mean that Niger delta have been dominated by other tribes especially Igbos.
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by aljharem2: 9:24pm On Jan 11, 2011
@op

i agree with you but can we not talk this out in the nation, why can't there be a carbinet of all ethnic groups. so they have a fair representation at the national level
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Akhenaten: 9:24pm On Jan 11, 2011
The Igbos are not the reason for the Niger Delta suffering. I don't even see Niger Deltans saying such nonsense either. We do not control their oil fields. That is why I find that post about the Igbos dominating the Niger Delta as ludicrous and asinine. Name the person who order the destruction of Odi. Was it an Igbo man? Who had Ken Saro-Wiwa executed. Was it an Igbo man?

This entire piece reeks of tribalism. Especially as it pertains to Igbos.
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by jason123: 9:26pm On Jan 11, 2011
afam4eva:

@ OP
why do i have a feeling that you hate Igbos. What do you mean that Niger delta have been dominated by other tribes especially Igbos.
grin grin grin.

@ POSTERS
. . . . . . AND IT BEGINS cheesy wink
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by aljharem2: 9:27pm On Jan 11, 2011
afam4eva:

@ OP
Dede1:

@OP

Please remove the paragraph headed by Niger Delta because “Niger Delta” does not exist in the context of your post.
Akhenaten:

The Igbos are not the reason for the Niger Delta suffering. I don't even see Niger Deltans saying such nonsense either. We do not control their oil fields. That is why I find that post about the Igbos dominating the Niger Delta as ludicrous and asinine. Name the person who order the destruction of Odi. Was it an Igbo man? Who had Ken Saro-Wiwa executed. Was it an Igbo man?

my igbo brothers you have started again oooo

just talk about the issue and not about igbo and niger delta

please biko cheesy
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by jason123: 9:28pm On Jan 11, 2011
Akhenaten:

I think he was just saying how the people of ND feel and not the reality undecided
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Akhenaten: 9:30pm On Jan 11, 2011
jason123:

I think he was just saying how the people of ND feel and not the reality undecided

And who are the people of the Niger Delta if I may ask? Do they talk with one voice?
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by sbeezy8: 9:34pm On Jan 11, 2011
ND- I KNOW for a FACT they like the whole settlers indignes thingy.

If not for it ND would have already been consumed by non niger deltans.
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by jason123: 9:34pm On Jan 11, 2011
Akhenaten:

And who are the people of the Niger Delta if I may ask? Do they talk with one voice?  

Its a multicultural region but the ijaws are the majority (my people are also there ooo! grin wink). They might have felt that you dominate them undecided who knows? Its the same way the MWest thought the yorubas dominated them before ekweme* split the old west. undecided
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Afam4eva(m): 9:37pm On Jan 11, 2011
@OP

How come every paragraph pertaining to the different tribes and groups have IGBO in them.
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Akhenaten: 9:37pm On Jan 11, 2011
afam4eva:

@OP

How come every paragraph pertaining to the different tribes and groups have IGBO in them.

Very good question! grin
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by jason123: 9:38pm On Jan 11, 2011
afam4eva:

@OP

Akhenaten:

Very good question! grin

@ OP
You don enter casala!!! grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Akhenaten: 9:39pm On Jan 11, 2011
jason123:

@ OP
You don enter casala!!! grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

afam4eva does have a valid point. Why does every single post concerning others has Igbo in it?
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by aljharem2: 9:41pm On Jan 11, 2011
afam4eva:

@OP

i bet you can not read properly
Zuha:

I have gone through a lot of threads and have realised that as Nigerians, we harbour a lot of bitterness both within our ethnic groups and across ethnic groups.

[b]Hausas: [/b]We feel privileged that we have been in the corridors of power but still baffled that our literacy level is still alarmingly low. We still have strife amongst ourselves although others don't know that but we stay together to be able to stand the challenges posed by the south. We hold on to our religion as it has evidently been out source of strength and has helped us to dominate in the country with assistance from our brothers all over the world.

[b]My question now is: [/b]Since we all feel bad and insecure in one way or the other, how can we work together to diminish the difference between us and highlight or strengths so that we can move forward? What are your suggestions about how to placate those who feel aggrieved amongst us rather than diminishing how they feel? How can we work together to change the world perspective of us? The reason why I am asking this question is that I have noted the level of bitterness and prejudice in everyone posting something on this website but no one seems to think that this is really a big cog in our wheel of progress. Do we need a unity referendum like Southern Sudan?

is there igbo in those ones undecided
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by jason123: 9:41pm On Jan 11, 2011
Akhenaten:

afam4eva does have a valid point. Why does every single post concerning others has Igbo in it?

Igbos are the most widespread group in Nigeria. I bet she did not mean it that way
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Afam4eva(m): 9:43pm On Jan 11, 2011
alj-harem:

i bet you can not read properly
is there igbo in those ones undecided

Okpoko, i said paragraphs that describe all the ethnic groups. Hausa seems to be an exception.
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Akhenaten: 9:44pm On Jan 11, 2011
jason123:

Its a multicultural region but the ijaws are the majority (my people are also there ooo! grin wink). They might have felt that you dominate them undecided who knows? Its the same way the MWest thought the yorubas dominated them before ekweme* split the old west. undecided

I thought the Igbo are the majority in the Niger Delta? However, that is another subject.

What about the Ibibio which include the Efik/Annang/Andoni-Ibeno/Enyong/Eket are the majority in the Niger Delta? The Ibibio people suffer from the same identity issues that Igbo face. All these Ibibio groups speak the same language, but some see themselves as different.
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by aljharem2: 9:53pm On Jan 11, 2011
afam4eva:

Okpoko, i said paragraphs that describe all the ethnic groups. Hausa seems to be an exception.

who are you calling okpoko do i look like a noise maker to you undecided
afam4eva:

@OP

and i corrected you that all undecided
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by jason123: 9:56pm On Jan 11, 2011
alj-harem:

who are you calling okpoko do i look like a noise maker to you undecided
and i corrected you that all undecided

This guy is actually getting the igbo language by the day Were!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Zuha(f): 10:21pm On Jan 11, 2011
Hi guys,
This not meant to hit on any particular group. I wrote this stuff based on the tone of many of the threads in NL and I wanted to have a civil discussion about the way forward.

Even if this thread does not lead to an immediate physical change, I was hoping that it will make people to think more and see the concept of 9ja from a different ethnic perspective from their own and hence to gain some insight into the things that we bear in our hearts in our different tribes and are not bold enough to voice it out.

So, sorry again if anyone feels his own group wasn't well described.
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Obiagu1(m): 10:24pm On Jan 11, 2011
Politics aside, this Zuha girl fine no be small.   smiley
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by aljharem2: 10:35pm On Jan 11, 2011
Zuha:

Hi guys,
This not meant to hit on any particular group. I wrote this stuff based on the tone of many of the threads in NL and I wanted to have a civil discussion about the way forward.

Even if this thread does not lead to an immediate physical change, I was hoping that it will make people to think more and see the concept of 9ja from a different ethnic perspective from their own and hence to gain some insight into the things that we bear in our hearts in our different tribes and are not bold enough to voice it out.

So, sorry again if anyone feels his own group wasn't well described.

why do you have to apologise, you have do nothing wrong here girl smiley

by the way, you are pretty smiley
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by jason123: 10:56pm On Jan 11, 2011
Obiagu1:

Politics aside, this Zuha girl fine no be small.   smiley

bros, no be only you dey eye am oo!!! cheesy
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Zuha(f): 12:27am On Jan 12, 2011
Thanks guys, but back to topic.
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by kidonig: 10:24am On Jan 12, 2011
A referendum will be a good idea but we need to be able to sit round a table to discuss this first of all,
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by justdtruth: 4:24pm On Jan 12, 2011
If there is any group in Nigeria doing well at what they do, i will say it is the politicians. They have been able to manipulate our minds well and also take control of it. Think about this. In all other areas of our life as a nation, when do we shout its the north, its the south? whenever the issue is political.
Look at how we live our lives as Nigerians. we interact and go about our daily activities without any issues. You will find Nigerians moving and staying in different part of the country. If there had not been peace or safety in these places and if the people there had been hostile, would any body have moved there? The answer is no. so the question is what changed.
I wonder why someone can hate a northerner so much and still put the safety of his life and that of his family in his hands by making him his security guard. How come we are all friends and business partners in Lagos but marginalisation chorus is what you here at Abuja. a Nigerian team wins gold medal and we all celebrate. i can imagine how much the northerners must have hated Okocha and Kanu.

however, make anything political and we are at each others throat. hungry, poor, suffering Nigerians. The politicians are our problem. and we have equally made ourselves tools in their hands.

Listen to Nigerians in any part of the country. the lamentation is the same, nothing works. but what have we been conditioned to always do? blame others for our woes.

We know that the bane of our development is corruption, does that have a northern or southern identity? if indeed we want such referendum, are the terms going to be negotiated by these criminals we call leaders?     

what we need is to start a change, a change in the way we see ourselves. a change in the perspective, a change in our leadership, a change in believe that Nigeria can not work, No! Nigeria can work.

start from your micro community, participate, be a part of the movement for change. join a political party. we must play our role
Re: Should Nigeria Stay United? Do We Need A Unity Referendum Like Sudan? by Zuha(f): 1:07am On Jan 13, 2011
Nigeria seems to be too big for a few people to come together to bring a radical change. I really wish the youths can lay down the arms that our fathers gave us and sit down to dig ourselves out of this hole that our fathers left us in.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Size Of State House Budget Riles Lawmakers / Can God Bless A Nation Whose Leaders Drink Blood Like Water? / U.S Behind Boko Haram Activities In Nigeria- Sheikh Gumi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.