Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,790 members, 7,820,774 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 (8279 Views)

President Buhari,osinbajo Visited Council Chambers Today / Was The Jan 15, 1966 Coup An Igbo Coup? A Detribilized, Historical Perspective / Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by aloyemeka1: 1:14am On Jan 12, 2011
Monday, January 10, 2011
[size=14pt]Gani's chambers to shut down Jan 15[/size]

Tony Amokeodo

STRONG indications emerged on Monday that the popular chambers of the late legal luminary, Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN), at 35, Adeniran Ajao Road, Anthony Village, Off Ikorodu Road, Lagos, would be wound up on January 15, 2011.

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jan/10/punch/images/pix20081216154048[1].jpg[/img]
Chief Gani Fawehinmi

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jan/10/811.html

The late legal icon was said to have stated in his Last Testament and Will that the chambers, which had handled many cases for individuals and firms from different walks of life, should be wound up within two years of his death.

Our correspondent also gathered that the chambers had written letters to their clients, asking them to collect their case files from the chambers on or before the said January 15.

A copy of the letter dated December 17, 2010 was made available to our correspondent in Lagos on Monday.

The letter titled, "Re-Winding up of Gani Fawehinmi Chambers," reads in part, "In line with the wishes of our late Head of Chambers, Chief Gani Fawehinmi, SAN, as contained in his Last Testament and Will that the chambers be wound up literarily within two years of his death, the Gani Fawehinmi Chambers will be wound up on January 15, 2011.

"Consequently, you are advised to collect your case file from the chambers on or before the said date of January 15, 2011.

Fawehinmi was born on April 22, 1938 and died on September 4, 2009 at the age of 71.

But the deceased had in last Will dated December 19, 2008 appointed the First Trustees Nigeria Limited, a subsidiary of the First Bank of Nigeria Plc, as the executor and trustee of his vast estate.

The legal luminary further directed in the Will that all his books and the entire library in the chambers should be taken to the new library and gallery in the Nigeria Law Publication House, CBD, Alausa, Ikeja Lagos.

The deceased had in the Will, directed as follows: "I direct my trustee to ensure that all my books and my entire library are taken from my chambers, the Gani Fawehinmi Chambers at 35 Adeniran Ajao Road, Ajao Estate, Anthony Village, Lagos to the new library and gallery in the Nigeria Law Publication House, CBD, Alausa, Ikeja as soon as the building is completed and ready for occupation.

"This direction shall be carried out within seven days of my death if the books have not already been transferred in my lifetime.

"My chambers, the Gani Fawehinmi Chambers, shall be wound up literally within two years after my death.

"I direct my trustee to effect all necessary repairs to my building at Ajao Estate Lagos when it is vacant and after the repairs, the building should be let and the proceeds of the lease should be paid into "Gani Fawehinmi Trust Account.

"My trustees, may in their discretion, convert the building into flats if that would make the property more commercially lettable."

The late Fawehinmi had in April 1965 established his chambers at 116, Denton Street, Ebute-Metta, Lagos just as he moved the chambers to his house at 28, Sabiu Ajose Crescent, Surulere, Lagos in 1974.

He finally moved the chambers in 1978 to its present site at Ajao Estate, Lagos.

The chambers are reputed to be the largest law chambers in Nigeria. It has a collection of over 290,000 law and law-related books on various subjects.

Between 1965 and 2002, the chambers had handled about 5,700 briefs while Fawehinmi had personally practised law and appeared in courts throughout the length and breath of the country.

1 Like

Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by shotster50(m): 2:14am On Jan 12, 2011
wow. Still cant believe Gani is no more.
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by Becomrichn: 3:00am On Jan 12, 2011
fff
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by idifu(m): 12:41pm On Jan 12, 2011
R.I.P Gani we will 4 eva miss u sad u are a true legend n not those cowards dat parade demselves as men of d ppl
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by opabukun(m): 2:21pm On Jan 12, 2011
shotster50:

wow. Still cant believe Gani is no more.
WELL SAID

idifu:

R.I.P Gani we will 4 eva miss u sad u are a true legend n not those cowards dat parade demselves as men of d ppl
COULD IMAGINE WAT HIS CONTRIBUTION WOULD HAVE BEEN TOWARDS 2011. RIPP MY AMIABLE OGA!
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by browncocos(f): 2:35pm On Jan 12, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Monday, January 10, 2011
[size=14pt]Gani's chambers to shut down Jan 15[/size]

Tony Amokeodo

STRONG indications emerged on Monday that the popular chambers of the late legal luminary, Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN), at 35, Adeniran Ajao Road, Anthony Village, Off Ikorodu Road, Lagos, would be wound up on January 15, 2011.

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jan/10/punch/images/pix20081216154048[1].jpg[/img]
Chief Gani Fawehinmi

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jan/10/811.html

The late legal icon was said to have stated in his Last Testament and Will that the chambers, which had handled many cases for individuals and firms from different walks of life, should be wound up within two years of his death.

Our correspondent also gathered that the chambers had written letters to their clients, asking them to collect their case files from the chambers on or before the said January 15.

A copy of the letter dated December 17, 2010 was made available to our correspondent in Lagos on Monday.

The letter titled, "Re-Winding up of Gani Fawehinmi Chambers," reads in part, "In line with the wishes of our late Head of Chambers, Chief Gani Fawehinmi, SAN, as contained in his Last Testament and Will that the chambers be wound up literarily within two years of his death, the Gani Fawehinmi Chambers will be wound up on January 15, 2011.

"Consequently, you are advised to collect your case file from the chambers on or before the said date of January 15, 2011.

Fawehinmi was born on April 22, 1938 and died on September 4, 2009 at the age of 71.

But the deceased had in last Will dated December 19, 2008 appointed the First Trustees Nigeria Limited, a subsidiary of the First Bank of Nigeria Plc, as the executor and trustee of his vast estate.

[b]The legal luminary further directed in the Will that all his books and the entire library in the chambers should be taken to the new library and gallery in the Nigeria Law Publication House, CBD, Alausa, Ikeja Lagos.[/b]

The deceased had in the Will, directed as follows: "I direct my trustee to ensure that all my books and my entire library are taken from my chambers, the Gani Fawehinmi Chambers at 35 Adeniran Ajao Road, Ajao Estate, Anthony Village, Lagos to the new library and gallery in the Nigeria Law Publication House, CBD, Alausa, Ikeja as soon as the building is completed and ready for occupation.

"This direction shall be carried out within seven days of my death if the books have not already been transferred in my lifetime.

"My chambers, the Gani Fawehinmi Chambers, shall be wound up literally within two years after my death.

"I direct my trustee to effect all necessary repairs to my building at Ajao Estate Lagos when it is vacant and after the repairs, the building should be let and the proceeds of the lease should be paid into "Gani Fawehinmi Trust Account.

"My trustees, may in their discretion, convert the building into flats if that would make the property more commercially lettable."

The late Fawehinmi had in April 1965 established his chambers at 116, Denton Street, Ebute-Metta, Lagos just as he moved the chambers to his house at 28, Sabiu Ajose Crescent, Surulere, Lagos in 1974.

He finally moved the chambers in 1978 to its present site at Ajao Estate, Lagos.

The chambers are reputed to be the largest law chambers in Nigeria. It has a collection of over 290,000 law and law-related books on various subjects.

Between 1965 and 2002, the chambers had handled about 5,700 briefs while Fawehinmi had personally practised law and appeared in courts throughout the length and breath of the country.

That struck me the most
hes a really selfless man
R.I.P
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by orgasm(m): 3:19pm On Jan 12, 2011
may god bless his soul.
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by Pame(m): 3:29pm On Jan 12, 2011
IT'S VERY OBVIOUS, HE WAS A SELFLESS, INTELLIGENT LEGAL ICON NIGERIA HAS EVER HAD. MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE!

HOW MANY LAWYERS IN NIGERIA OF TODAY CAN DO 1/3 OF WHAT HE DID EVEN AFTER DEATH?
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by blapo(m): 3:36pm On Jan 12, 2011
wow what a decision,
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by Phate07(m): 3:52pm On Jan 12, 2011

Hmmm. What of his children? Dont he have any?
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by nvo5(f): 4:18pm On Jan 12, 2011
people like you are what we need to lead
this nations. you are my hero.

Phate07:

Hmmm. What of his children? Dont he have any?

he has a lot of them, his first son is a lawyer
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by realcele: 4:27pm On Jan 12, 2011
He does have many but as a great and selfless man. He has thought them how to fish and am very sure they are much more comfortable with or without his will. They were made when he was alive and the only way Gani himself can live long is to immortalise himself in the lives of people especially the legal beings he will be helping with his books placed in library. I hope selfish nigerians will not go and steal or rip off pages sha.
Adie GANI
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jan 12, 2011
wow astonished grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by chosen04(f): 4:54pm On Jan 12, 2011
I love Gani, but i dont get this! I thut the wish of every successful Lawyer is that their Chambers should out live them? Why does Gani want his shut down?
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by sirp2007: 5:48pm On Jan 12, 2011
Gani,you are a true GREAT, live on sir.u re nt dead as long as ur good deed is still speaking
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by Delible(m): 5:53pm On Jan 12, 2011
love Gani, but i dont get this! I thut the wish of every successful Lawyer is that their Chambers should out live them? Why does Gani want his shut down?

It is better to wind it down before Nigerians start rubbishing the good name the ICON left behind.It will even avoid conflict since he has many lawyers among his children.At least they should be able to fish by now.
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by uche13: 6:54pm On Jan 12, 2011
I dint also get this. Why cant any Nigerian business survive to the next generation the way we see it happen abroad. A mans business should outlive him. Any man without a successor can not be said to be a true success. The issue with our dear country is the sentiments we attach towards issues like this. Who said Ur children must take over Ur business. If none of them are competent, simple get an outsider who you believe is in tune with Ur vision and let him continue on with Ur legacy. Imagine explaining to his great-great grand kids the kind of legal luminary their great father was without any chambers to show for it. Its sad and i personally feel pained.
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by tlops(m): 7:28pm On Jan 12, 2011
uche13:

I dint also get this. Why cant any Nigerian business survive to the next generation the way we see it happen abroad. A mans business should outlive him. Any man without a successor can not be said to be a true success. The issue with our dear country is the sentiments we attach towards issues like this. Who said your children must take over your business. If none of them are competent, simple get an outsider who you believe is in tune with your vision and let him continue on with your legacy. Imagine explaining to his great-great grand kids the kind of legal luminary their great father was without any chambers to show for it. Its sad and i personally feel pained.

yeah but I guess he had his line of reasoning.
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by Phate07(m): 7:54pm On Jan 12, 2011

What a selfless service.
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by oge4real(f): 9:45pm On Jan 12, 2011
I guess he doesnt trust anybody to manage the chambers and continue with his policies.Better leave the stage when the ovation is loudest.
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by Lakeside247(m): 9:47pm On Jan 12, 2011
I recommend a detailed copy of Gani Fawehinmi's will to anyone that cares. Reading through, you will discover that Gani Fawehinmi was a special person. He mentioned and catered for virtually everyone of his family-both nuclear and extended, including relatives and the less privileged. I have read through it about seven(7) times and still cannot get enough of it and hence have decided to keep it in my library as a model and reference. May his soul rest in perfect peace. I love this man.
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by EkoIle1: 10:14pm On Jan 12, 2011
Very smart and considerate man. The man is obviously trying to give every Nigerian from the average man to lawyers and researchers and generations of unborn Nigerians some kind of access to his books and works via the Library.

This is a thoughtful, brilliant and u unselfish idea, even a better tribute sef,

Pics Of Statue and Library

http://happylagosian..com/2010/09/fashola-dedicates-statue-garden-in.html
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by favouredjb(f): 12:32am On Jan 13, 2011
He prolly knws d chambers wnt be handled well after his demise,good deed
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by Lanrefemi: 3:18am On Jan 13, 2011
Managing a law chamber is quite different from managing any other type of businesses, a law chamber is what you start with your own vision, knowledge and intellect, is not just a line of business that can be inherited. Late Gani has done his own bit for nigeria and at the moment he can do no more because he's dead! Let the living nigerians take their own destiny into their own hands instead of critizising the will of LATE GANI FAWEHINMI.
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by Nobody: 3:39am On Jan 13, 2011
Many a great men never even want to have any children. They think offsprings can only dent their legacy.
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by aieromon(m): 7:41am On Jan 13, 2011
You will truly rest in peace,Gani Fawehinmi
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by orbaxy(m): 8:24am On Jan 13, 2011
Freaking selfish!
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by mikkyrazzy: 9:13am On Jan 13, 2011
Its quite touching how Chief Gani lived, and reading this, I find it very hard to believe we still have people like this in this country. Unfortunately he's gone. I seem to respect him more in death than even when he was alive. He is truly a great man. This legacy will be remembered for so much time to come.
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by Nobody: 10:45am On Jan 13, 2011
I wish we could know why he does not want his chambers to live after him?

R.I.P GANI
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by oludashmi(f): 10:54am On Jan 13, 2011
I'm too sure, he is already Resting In Peace
Very selfless man
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by clomn(m): 11:18am On Jan 13, 2011
HE HAS A VERY BIG SKELETON IN HIS WARDROBE NOT JUST CUPBOARD.
HE JUST TOLD THE WORLD THAT HIS CHILDREN ARE NOT CAPABLE TO RUN THINGS IN THIS COUNTRY.
Re: Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 by tefund(m): 11:23am On Jan 13, 2011
wish we had more ganis in this country

(1) (2) (Reply)

Juju Scare In Aso Rock! / Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! / Take Money/Rice From Politicians But Vote According To Your Conscience- Clergy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.