Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,215 members, 7,836,050 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:49 PM

Snowed In - SE USA - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Snowed In - SE USA (835 Views)

Myanmar Man Trick Into 22 Year Slavery,trending Slave Trade In SE Asia / Two Male Witches In Edinburgh Have Tied The Knot In The Uk's First Pagan Same-se / Five-year-olds in Germany Get book detailing Se.x and use of Condoms with Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Snowed In - SE USA by isalegan2: 5:36am On Jan 12, 2011
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/10/AR2011011006589.html
WEATHER - Southerners take a winter beating
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Washington Post

Southerners more accustomed to sunshine than to snow began digging out Monday from a wintry blast that stranded drivers and air travelers and cut power to thousands of homes.

As much as nine inches of snow blanketed states from Louisiana to the Carolinas - a region where many cities have only a handful of snowplows, if any.

And more misery was on the way: The snow began turning to freezing rain in numerous areas, threatening to make untreated roads even more treacherous.

"If you're off the main roads, it's a skating rink," said Tim Loucks, manager of the Pilot Truck Stop in Haughton, La.

The storm shut down cities and towns, closed businesses, and canceled almost every flight at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, the world's busiest. At least four people died in weather-related traffic crashes.

The governors of Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina and Tennessee declared emergencies. Schools and colleges called off classes.

Conditions were unlikely to improve soon: Temperatures should stay below freezing for days, and more snow is predicted, meaning that treacherous travel conditions could persist at least until Tuesday.

The storm system was expected to spread north to Ohio and could hit the snow-weary Northeast later in the week.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9KMD08O0.htm
Canceled flights mount as US storm heads north
Widespread flight cancelations moved from the Deep South into the Northeast and Great Lakes on Tuesday, as a major storm threatened to dump a foot of snow or more on New York and Boston.

Travelers checked airport departure boards Tuesday to learn the fate of their business trips and family visits. Airlines eased ticket-change policies to encourage fliers to delay trips until later in the week.

By mid-afternoon, Delta Air Lines had canceled 1,700 flights after scrubbing about 2,000 flights the previous two days. Most were in Atlanta but included evening flights between Washington and New York, said spokesman Anthony Black.

US Airways canceled nearly 1,000 flights and 340 for Wednesday
Re: Snowed In - SE USA by savanaha: 5:41am On Jan 12, 2011
I live in Atlanta Georgia and its so crazy how the whole state of Georgia is shut down because of 6-8 inches of snow. When I lived in Midwest, this amount of snow will  be nothing. Granted the southern state governments are not equipped to deal with snow as well as other states. There is no salt trucks. Its still cool for my sibling who is geeked about not going to school for two days thus far.
Re: Snowed In - SE USA by isalegan2: 3:31pm On Jan 12, 2011
I'm in the southeast USA too.  Snowed in since Sunday.

I am so stressed, I could kill over at any moment! cry  If I do, please don't bury me here, I beseech you.  I don't want oyinbo keferi strolling all over my grave o. 

Anyway, it's suppossed to clear up today. Hope so. smiley
Re: Snowed In - SE USA by blackmann(m): 9:09pm On Jan 13, 2011
savanaha:

I live in Atlanta Georgia and its so crazy how the whole state of Georgia is shut down because of 6-8 inches of snow. When I lived in Midwest, this amount of snow will be nothing. Granted the southern state governments are not equipped to deal with snow as well as other states. There is no salt trucks. Its still cool for my sibling who is geeked about not going to school for two days thus far.

you gotta be kidding me shocked shocked? Just 8 inches? wetin we wey dey the north-east of the country that had about 24 inches in one night go do?
Re: Snowed In - SE USA by savanaha: 7:26am On Jan 14, 2011
blackmann:

you gotta be kidding me shocked shocked? Just 8 inches? wetin we wey dey the north-east of the country that had about 24 inches in one night go do?

Haha, someone was saying that about the South. I know its really fun, however because state is not as prepared as other states it is better say than sorry. Schools have been closed for the whole week in most areas.
Re: Snowed In - SE USA by NegroNtns(m): 9:19pm On Jan 16, 2011
I just thawed out. . . . 6 days hibernation, my God, I feel rested and refreshed!

(1) (Reply)

What You Didn't Know About Libya / Outrage As Egypt Plans ‘farewell Intercourse Law’ / Pastor Arrested For Stealing $18m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.