Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,262 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

Listening To Music In Ramadan - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Listening To Music In Ramadan (8056 Views)

Do The People In The City Of Wekan, Oman Truly Fast For 3 Hours In Ramadan? / Expiation For One Who Had Intercourse With His Wife During The Day In Ramadan / Can We Listen To Music In Ramadan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Listening To Music In Ramadan by Lukgaf(m): 4:54am On May 08, 2020
Praise be to Allaah.

Listening to music is haraam, whether in Ramadaan or at other times, but it is more forbidden in Ramadaan, and is a greater sin, because fasting does not only mean refraining from eating and drinking, rather it means attaining piety or fear of Allaah, and it means that all the physical faculties should refrain from disobeying Allaah.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Observing As-Sawm (the fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)”

[al-Baqarah 2:183]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Fasting does not just mean (abstaining) from eating and drinking, rather fasting means (abstaining) from idle and obscene talk…”

Narrated by al-Haakim who said: This hadeeth is saheeh according to the conditions of Muslim.

The saheeh Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) clearly indicates that listening to musical instruments is haraam.

Al-Bukhaari narrated in a mu’allaq report that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There will be among my ummah people who regard adultery, silk, pork and musical instruments as permissible…” Al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi said that this was a mawsool report.

This hadeeth indicates that musical instruments are haraam in two ways:

1 – The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “[they] will regard… as permissible.” This clearly indicates that the things mentioned are haraam, but those people will regard them as permissible.

2 – Musical instruments are mentioned in conjunction with things that are definitely haraam, namely adultery (zina) and alcohol. If it were not haraam it would not have been mentioned alongside them.

See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani , hadeeth no. 91.

The believer should make the most of this blessed month and turn to his Lord. He should repent to Allaah and give up haraam things that he was in the habit of doing before Ramadaan, so that Allaah might accept his fast and set his affairs straight.

And Allaah knows best.

Source: https://islamqa.info/en/answers/12647/listening-to-music-in-ramadaan

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by Baycard55(m): 5:12am On May 08, 2020
Jazakallah khairan, May Almighty Allah increase you in knowlegde

5 Likes

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by Kherdija(f): 6:24am On May 08, 2020
Alhamdullilah,May Almighty Allah increase u and accept every of ur supplication for taking ur time to post this beautiful knowledge that will change every muslim.....

8 Likes

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:59am On May 08, 2020
The guy above me deserve a month ban mods.

In Islam Music is haram all the time!

We ask Allaah to accept the little we've done and grant us Jannah.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by Write4me(m): 9:30am On May 08, 2020
Haram is Haram and theres nothing like 'Islamic Music" in Islam.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by Write4me(m): 9:30am On May 08, 2020
IlovePMB:
Music is haram. Kollywood should be shut down and all northern musicians should be stoned to death. Those northern politicians that played music during their campaigns including Buhari, Ganduje and so on should all be burnt alive according to Prophet Mohammed (peace be with him)

Islam is not birthed in the North and they have no superiority over any other part of the country.

Now we know your level of ignorance.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by CreamyCoffee: 9:32am On May 08, 2020
Yes it is normal for music and any other instruments provoking creativity and critical thinking to be an haram

10 Likes

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by Harunabisanti(m): 9:32am On May 08, 2020
God bless
Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by espn(m): 9:34am On May 08, 2020
Hmmmmmmmmm...Thank OP may Allah increase you in knowledge. IfI may ask...Apart from the hadith quoted are there verses from the holy Quran to back this up. Please state if there are....

1 Like

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by money121(m): 9:34am On May 08, 2020
Ok
Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by fortran12: 9:37am On May 08, 2020
Music is haram in islam
Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by IlovePMB: 9:40am On May 08, 2020
Write4me:

Islam is not birthed in the North and they have no superiority over any other part of the country.

Now we know your level of ignorance.

So why do Muslims in the north still play music since it is haram according to Islamic law.

20 Likes

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by Maj196(m): 9:42am On May 08, 2020
MashAllah
Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by lastempero: 9:45am On May 08, 2020
Na these people and their rulings.

5 Likes

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by betterman22(m): 9:46am On May 08, 2020
undecided
Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by aycorporat(m): 9:49am On May 08, 2020
Why does it seem everything looks slavish here?
Some of our muslim counterpart here down south listen to good music that even the christians cannot but dance to.
I mean meaningful music during this fast.

There is one idiot up there called ilovepmb proposing burning on the stakes for people who don't comply to their own archaic ways of doing things
What does the mods have to say about that?

11 Likes

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by Write4me(m): 9:49am On May 08, 2020
IlovePMB:

So why do Muslims in the north still play music since it is haram according to Islamic law.

Muslims in the north are just like you and me. They are not the most pious and they can fall astray and sin just like anybody else.

Peace be onto you.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by Dmail(m): 9:50am On May 08, 2020
IlovePMB:

Same reason why adultery is prohibited in the Bible yet some Christians are fully indulged in it. One time I heard a prostitute in a motel shouting Jesus Jesus yet she is in the worst place doing the most absurd job someone should indulge in.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by IlovePMB: 9:51am On May 08, 2020
Write4me:

Muslims in the north are just like you and me. They are not the most pious and they can fall astray and sin just like anybody else.

Peace be onto you.

Islam is a scam.

17 Likes

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by IlovePMB: 9:53am On May 08, 2020
Dmail:

Same reason why adultery is prohibited in the Bible yet some Christians are fully indulged in it. One time I heard a prostitute in a motel shouting Jesus Jesus yet she is in the worst place doing the most absurd job someone should indulge in.

Religious fanatics are the most confused set of people. They can ban alcohol in the north but can play and dance to music which is still a haram according to Koran.

7 Likes

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by Aremynart: 10:06am On May 08, 2020
Lukgaf:
Praise be to Allaah.

Listening to music is haraam, whether in Ramadaan or at other times, but it is more forbidden in Ramadaan, and is a greater sin, because fasting does not only mean refraining from eating and drinking, rather it means attaining piety or fear of Allaah, and it means that all the physical faculties should refrain from disobeying Allaah.

“O you who believe! Observing As-Sawm (the fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)”

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Fasting does not just mean (abstaining) from eating and drinking, rather fasting means (abstaining) from idle and obscene talk…”

Narrated by al-Haakim who said: This hadeeth is saheeh according to the conditions of Muslim.

The saheeh Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) clearly indicates that listening to musical instruments is haraam.

Al-Bukhaari narrated in a mu’allaq report that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There will be among my ummah people who regard adultery, silk, pork and musical instruments as permissible…” Al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi said that this was a mawsool report.

1 – The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “[they] will regard… as permissible.” This clearly indicates that the things mentioned are haraam, but those people will regard them as permissible.

2 – Musical instruments are mentioned in conjunction with things that are definitely haraam, namely adultery (zina) and alcohol. If it were not haraam it would not have been mentioned alongside them.

The believer should make the most of this blessed month and turn to his Lord. He should repent to Allaah and give up haraam things that he was in the habit of doing before Ramadaan, so that Allaah might accept his fast and set his affairs straight.

And Allaah knows best.

Assalamualaikum..... I have questions

I read one hadeeth in mukhtarul hadeeth where prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) said: 'A'alinuu hāza nnikah, waj a luhu fil masājid, waddribuu bi ddufuf' I can't really say the number of the Hadith because it's been long I read it and I didn't have one with me here.
Now my question is with that *ddufuf* can one beat it without music? Or is the Hadith not sohih?
And what about those arabic music?

3 Likes

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by Gidah: 10:36am On May 08, 2020
We should be mindful things are different from the days of prophet, you can hardly abide by this now cos you tune on your TV almost everywhere there's music what can someone do, I feel this can hardly work in our current world just saying

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by GrandMufti: 10:39am On May 08, 2020
Bloody hell angry
Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by totowunmido: 10:46am On May 08, 2020
Na wa for islam o

3 Likes

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by totowunmido: 10:49am On May 08, 2020
Dmail:

the other day I heard my neighbour's wife in the middle of the night shouting "wayo Allah, Alhaji e do mi dada, walahi o dun mo mi"

6 Likes

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by ijebuloaded(m): 10:55am On May 08, 2020
But.. Into Entertainment Biz.. Being a music promoter, show promoter, Artist PR...

Does this means i should not work for the whole 30Days and Beyond..

Does this means i should stop my way of income because "Music is Haram" ?

Am so confused right now.. Even during this Ramadan.. some artiste still send me song to promote.. and as a PR.. i still need to sample the songs.. listen to it about 3-4 times to be able to get some review outta it...

Is Music A Sin?
Should i stop my JOB

4 Likes

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by Nobody: 11:11am On May 08, 2020
Lukgaf:
Praise be to Allaah.

And Allaah knows best.

Just like almost everything in Islam, intention is key.
Al-Qurtubi has mentioned in his commentary on the
Qur’an al-Jami al-Ahkam al-Quran the singing of
some Qusharites in the presence of the Prophet the
day he entered Madina. Abu Bakr was disturbed by
this and the Prophet said, “leave them Abu Bakr so
that the Jews can see that our way is expansive.”
They were playing drums and saying, “we are the
girls of al-Najjar and we love that Muhammad is a
neighbor”. Al-Qurtubi then said, “it is said that the
tambourine and other instruments used in weddings
are permissible as long as what is said is sound
and not from foulness.”

As you can see, the point here is the aim of the music, the intention. Would you call a man singing the 99 names of Allah as committing Haram?
Imam al-Ghazali has also written that “if musical
instruments have become the sign of drunkards or
lewdness, if the instruments are like the harmonica,
wind instruments, string instruments, or drums used
by drinkers then it is impermissible."

As such, music that is particularly vulgar or
inappropriate is seen as a distraction from Islam and the fulfillment of duties. This view is also supported by the fact that the modern musical industry of today deviates significantly from Islamic teachings. Today you can hardly listen to a track without hearing profanities or talks about going down with someone else.

I found that most scholars agree that singing is permissible during certain occasions such as Eid
and weddings, and that some scholars even
assert that singing as an activity that brings
enjoyment is permissible as long as the activity
does not encourage non-islamic actions such as
drinking or unnecessary mingling amongst members of the opposite sex.

We should also remember the verse which goes:
"Surely, the hearing
and the sight and the heart, all of these shall be
questioned about that?" (Surah Bani Isra'il 17:36)

Music during Ramadan is an issue on its own. Deviating from the constraints of the fast is the same as doing no fast.
And Allah knows best.

6 Likes

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by isram: 11:26am On May 08, 2020
Fools everything that the rich enjoy is haram to the poor,

Mugus

3 Likes

Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by thaoriginator: 11:31am On May 08, 2020
ijebuloaded:
But.. Into Entertainment Biz.. Being a music promoter, show promoter, Artist PR...

Does this means i should not work for the whole 30Days and Beyond..

Does this means i should stop my way of income because "Music is Haram" ?

Am so confused right now.. Even during this Ramadan.. some artiste still send me song to promote.. and as a PR.. i still need to sample the songs.. listen to it about 3-4 times to be able to get some review outta it...

Is Music A Sin?
Should i stop my JOB
Simply resign and start transportation business m
Re: Listening To Music In Ramadan by Functionoftime(m): 11:49am On May 08, 2020
GrandMufti:
Bloody hell angry
Are you a Muslim?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saying That Specific People Are Going To Paradise Or Hell in Islam / Hajj 2018 In Numbers (Photo) / Having Good Thought About People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.