Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,329 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? (3257 Views)

Why Don’t Nigerians Like Buying On Websites?? I Don’t Get It / Why Don’t They Use Solar Power In Aso Rock? / CBN Reviews Limits On Mobile Money Transaction, Balance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by pocohantas(f): 1:35pm On May 13, 2020
One issue preventing people from patronizing e-commerce sites is the issue of trust, but reviews have a way of guiding customers to the right products and vendors.

However, I noticed Nigerians do not leave reviews for products or merchants. Go to Amazon and you’ll get tired of reading reviews. Come down to Konga, Jumia and even IG vendors, you will struggle to see reviews that matches their sales.

The only time Nigerians are quick to leave reviews is when it is negative and they want to callout the vendor. If we call them out when it is bad, I think we should also revert when they get it right.

My office started a survey system earlier this year. At first they were democratic and allowed us to do it when convenient. This ended badly as most staff NEVER took the survey. They had to come up with a new system, you MUST take it before you can login...lol. Everyone had to do it by force.

Sometimes I leave reviews for IG vendors, even when I didn’t make the order and they are always surprised. Like it is a wonder of the world.

Why don’t we leave reviews? grin grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by ExAngel007(f): 1:56pm On May 13, 2020
Because they sell fake/second product that wouldn't last.
and we get to angry to write any review...

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by scoundrel(f): 3:22pm On May 13, 2020
It’s their job as marketers to find ways into convincing people to write reviews. It is not the consumers’ fault, all they did was buy the product. There was no incentive to leave a review. I bet if the sellers attached a 100 NGN giveaway to people who dropped reviews things will change.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Kaycee7(m): 3:24pm On May 13, 2020
scoundrel:
It’s their job as marketers to find ways into convincing people to write reviews. It is not the consumers’ fault, all they did was buy the product. There was no incentive to leave a review. I bet if the sellers attached a 100 NGN giveaway to people who dropped reviews things will change.
Really? Pay people for reviews?

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by cococandy(f): 3:27pm On May 13, 2020
People tend to leave reviews when they are displeased with the item they purchased. But when everything is going well, they forget about you the seller. Na life cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by scoundrel(f): 3:41pm On May 13, 2020
Kaycee7:
Really? Pay people for reviews?
If you want something done you’ll pay for it. The easiest solutions are to problems throwing money can fix.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Petrodirect: 6:05pm On May 13, 2020
Seriously
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by pocohantas(f): 6:26pm On May 13, 2020
scoundrel:

If you want something done you’ll pay for it. The easiest solutions are to problems throwing money can fix.

Pay for you to write reviews? That is a new one o. I get your idea of motivating people with money, but I never knew it has gotten to this extent. grin

cococandy:
People tend to leave reviews when they are displeased with the item they purchased. But when everything is going well, they forget about you the seller. Na life cheesy

We write this one fast, though sometimes we dey tire to write negative reviews. I know people that leave it to karma and God.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Dbeautyy(m): 6:26pm On May 13, 2020
Why don’t we leave reviews? grin grin[/quote]

Oooooppp!!! That question you asked I guess it was because you needed to use our response to figure out somethings. Well, if you need an idea on how to go about it. Let's talk business. I was born in Kosefe Local Government, so, ko so fe tongue
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by iPrevail(m): 6:27pm On May 13, 2020
It's the sellers job to make his/her customer leave reviews. Why Nigerian buyers don't leave reviews is because there's little or zero follow-up from the seller.
After delivery of product, encourage the Buyer to drop reviews and they just may oblige.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Sterope(f): 6:31pm On May 13, 2020
People don't even write negative reviews. Buying online is a nightmare in Nigeria.

Happy birthday!

pocohantas:

Pay for you to write reviews? That is a new one o. I get your idea of motivating people with money, but I never knew it has gotten to this extent. grin

We write this one fast, though sometimes we dey tire to write negative reviews. I know people that leave it to karma and God.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by pocohantas(f): 8:14pm On May 13, 2020
Sterope:
People don't even write negative reviews. Buying online is a nightmare in Nigeria.

Happy birthday!

Why don’t they? I think it is just not our way to give feedback. Thanks babe, I appreciate. smiley
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Victornezzar: 8:32pm On May 13, 2020
iPrevail:
It's the sellers job to make his/her customer leave reviews. Why Nigerian buyers don't leave reviews is because there's little or zero follow-up from the seller.
After delivery of product, encourage the Buyer to drop reviews and they just may oblige.
Jumia does it... They send you a mail

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by davillian(m): 8:56pm On May 13, 2020
We only do bad reviews and give u 1 star...
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Nobody: 9:00pm On May 13, 2020
even reviews this days are faked

2 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 9:27pm On May 13, 2020
pocohantas:

Why don’t they? I think it is just not our way to give feedback. Thanks babe, I appreciate. smiley

Happy birthday dear kiss kiss

All the best to you kiss

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by CAPSLOCKED: 9:54pm On May 13, 2020
Paxxcarl:
even reviews this days are faked

LIKE LEAVING TERRIBLE REVIEWS UNDER A GOOD PRODUCT SO PEOPLE DON'T BUY IT, OR LEAVING WONDERFUL REMARKS UNDER THE WORST GOODS SO THAT PEOPLE WILL BE CONVINCED TO BUY?
I KNOW SOMEONE CAPABLE OF LIVING LIKE THAT. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Victornezzar: 10:15pm On May 13, 2020
Ladyhippolyta88:

Happy birthday dear kiss kiss

All the best to you kiss
Hmm

Pinky??
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Nobody: 10:25pm On May 13, 2020
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Israelconcepts: 12:00am On May 14, 2020
Yes, you are right! I work as a freelancer on Upwork. Foreign customers don't hesitate to give long and sweet review cheesy once they enjoy your service...

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Israelconcepts: 12:06am On May 14, 2020
scoundrel:

Pay people for reviews? You dey make me laugh sha....you think it's easy to run ecommerce store in Nigeria. That "pay on delivery" alone is killing Jumia, Konga....even Amazon don't do pay on delivery and people still dey buy...
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Lari03r(m): 11:29am On May 14, 2020
Honestly, I write reviews. I do this because I read reviews before making choices.

Perhaps, most Nigerians shoppers are lazy when writing reviews after receiving the product.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by ibkayee(f): 11:45am On May 14, 2020
Maybe there isn't much motivation to bother, the ones who leave reviews usually either disliked the product/service or were super passionate about it for whatever reason. I think most people are in the middle... not indifferent per se, just...not 'impacted' enough (whether positively or negatively) to be bothered

Also, the customer service experience in Nigeria leaves much to be desired, maybe an additional factor is that people are of the opinion that nothing is likely to come of the review, so leaving one is more effort than it's worth
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Nasirmakeveli: 2:07pm On May 14, 2020
*Stand a chance for a FREE ATM card loaded with money, plus access to collateral-free soft loan when you attend my Mobile Money Agent Training via group chat:*

Learn how to start your own Mini Bank with only N10,000 & be able to issue/fund ATM cards, open accounts for customers, deploy POS, receive and send money, bill payment (DStv/GOtv, Startimes, PHCN, airtime/data, Insurance, Religious offerings, school, etc,
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by toycom001(m): 2:47pm On May 14, 2020
It is not just Nigerians, everywhere ni
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Nobody: 3:14pm On May 14, 2020
Buying online is still evolving in Nigeria and majority of Nigerians don't even buy things online.

Another factor is this, no one buys online with the intent of writing a review and it has nothing to do with being a Nigerian or not, therefore the selling platform plays a role in getting people to write a review of the purchased product.

For instance, if you purchase an item in ebay or in Amazon, you will get an email from Amazon or ebay requesting for you to share your experience of your purchases once the product gets delivered to you.

They ask you questions like "was the item recieved as described?

Was the delivery time exactly as stated by the seller?

Are you likely to recommend this product to someone else?

The questions above from the merchants selling platform (Amazon or eBay) enables a buyer to answer those questions which becomes the reviews for that product.

I am a serial online shopper and I write reviews for some of my purchases especially the purchases I'm extremely satisfied with which could be as a result of the quality of the item or the super fast delivery time frame which is one of the benefits I get with my Amazon prime account.

I also don't write reviews on some items purchased despite been reached out by Amazon, Adidas, Walmart or Ebay through email to share my purchase experiences which I still decline to write because it is completely based on my mood at that particular time.

I may also be busy with more important things than writing a review at that point in time and writing a review for an item i purchased online is 100% optional and not mandatory but if their is a 10% discount offer for my next purchases once i write a review for the item purchased then I'm in.

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Eberechi24(f): 5:40pm On May 14, 2020
pocohantas:

Happy Birthday Kwin Poco. More Success and energy to your life.

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by aieromon(m): 8:49pm On May 14, 2020
I do leave reviews online and offline for any product/service I pay for.

Generally, people tend to leave reviews when they have a negative feedback to report.

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by mediocre(m): 10:58pm On May 14, 2020
There's usually a weak social link between the sellers and the customers. Most times, people don't even really know they should be leaving reviews. So maybe instead of sending emails, they could actually just put a call through (jumia does this).

Incentives might also so do the trick, tends to motivate alot of people

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Chuky7(m): 6:00am On May 15, 2020
pocohantas:
One issue preventing people from patronizing e-commerce sites is the issue of trust, but reviews have a way of guiding customers to the right products and vendors.

Queen poco why is everyone wishing you A happy birthday...was yesterday your birthday...

happy belated birthday...
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Mrford(m): 7:46am On May 15, 2020
pocohantas:

I don't play with reviews when buying a product reason i am yet to buy much from jumia and the likes. I have bought hundreds of items from amazon, ebay and aliexpress and it has been %99.9 as expected all thanks to reviews.

I think is because of a combination of care free attitude and ignorance.
I always give review and additional review after several usage (those ones are golden)

Another reason is on the part of the seller no serious reminder, Aliexpress keep reminding you to give a review. Untill you do that
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Leave Reviews? by Nobody: 7:57am On May 15, 2020
Because we don't know how to leave good reviews.

Most of the ones i have seen especially on Jumia fashion usually start with "Don't buy from him, he sent me a different color, ....Jumia i am reslly disappointed in you...this priduct got to me after 3years of waiting..

They know most of their merchants sell fakes and they do nothing about it, reviews will make things worse.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Recharge Card Business: Silent Money Maker / Attached is the Feasibility Study For Haulage: Is It Rip Off? N.B Dump Truck / What You Need To Consider Before You Buy A Large/wide Format Printer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.