Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,406 members, 7,864,793 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 07:00 AM

How To Succeed As A Man In The US - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Succeed As A Man In The US (9700 Views)

Outrage As Police Vehicle Runs Over Handcuffed Man In Edo (Pic) / Nigerian Man In Canada Shows His COVID19 Lockdown Palliative / Homeless Nigerian Man In USA, Walks The Street Aimlessly (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by flyingpig: 7:47pm On May 17, 2020
pDudd:

NP

Bro, is being married to a Nigerian woman increase chances of my masters degree VISA being approved, since that is strong connection to home ties?

Someone wants to pursue masters degree in USA and doesn't know if to wed his partner before he leaves or not.

If it'll improve his chances of MSc student VISA being approved, he will marry.

Please answer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by saltyatarodo: 8:13pm On May 17, 2020
Why are we like this?

He had an objective. He started but you all ensured the thread got derailed.

Poster, please continue

2 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 8:15pm On May 17, 2020
auschris:
NP na nurse na

NP is a nurse. I never said it wasn't undecided
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by saltyatarodo: 8:25pm On May 17, 2020
pDudd:

NP is a nurse. I never said it wasn't undecided

Can we talk privately?
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 8:35pm On May 17, 2020
saltyatarodo:

Can we talk privately?

Sure.
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 8:42pm On May 17, 2020
molybdenum0012:

Hey pDudd .. I am so happy you open this tread. My wife is a US citizen and I will soon start processing my visa to join her.

With Master's degree in health Physics, what is my chance in the US, and if I must get US education, do you think I should start all over again or I should just build on my Nigerian certificates. What career do you think I should break into? Any prospect for a radiation and health physicist?

Thanks

You will need to further your education to be able to take advantage of your Nigerian certificate. First you will need to look for a school that will accept your Nigerian certificate fully or partially. If your degree is accepted fully, you can just do a master's degree in your course of choice. If your degree is accepted partially, you may have to do additional courses to complete your degree and receive a US certificate.

I will advice you not to listen to naysayers that tell you that you Nigerian certificate is totally useless. Like I said, to make it work for you, you will still have to pursue additional certification in US to become a professional in the field you seek.

And your wife being a citizen is a huge plus because you are not an international student but a green card holder and you will be able to take advantage of certain financial aid packages the US education department offers as well as student loans.

4 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 17, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

Ok thanks boss
Why I was saying two weeks job on arrival was because my mom's friend went there around 2018 and after getting there she found a job not less than two weeks
And she told my mom that they pay her 200K of our money here when converted
But although it's a daycare work
I think a cleaner in a daycare school
But who knows she might be lucky
And they are in New Jersey
My mom was even saying it in youruba that,
US is good O someone that reach there in two weeks

I pray I come there one day cause I heard they don't use to take light over there ,,here they took light around 5:30am and it was as if they assigned the mosquito of the whole street to our house
Funniest thing our mosquito here for niaja no longer suck blood again
They've upgrade they eat flesh too mosquito wey look like the smallest finger of my hand
Omo I dey come that US O Walai make God help me m tired of this poo-hole

Overall, US is a nice place to be. It has its challenges but overall it is a great place. And your hustling spirit as a Nigerian will make you succeed.

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 8:45pm On May 17, 2020
dnapstar:
Goodday.
I was informed that my application for a US Green card has been approved. The application was filled by my mother over 10 years ago. It just got approved in March 2020.
I would like to ask what are my options.
I am currently working as a project manager here in Nigeria, A general contractor. I had my first and second degree in the Philippines(Electronics Engineering Graduate and MBA).

I would like to ask, what is the best way to survive in the US?

Work smart, not hard. Don't get into trouble and don't take short cut to make money. Add God to your hustle. And remember those who were loyal to you when you were coming up.

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by saltyatarodo: 8:53pm On May 17, 2020
pDudd:

Sure. myalconduit@yahoo.com

Done
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by richhills(m): 9:38pm On May 17, 2020
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by molybdenum0012: 10:20pm On May 17, 2020
pDudd:

You will need to further your education to be able to take advantage of your Nigerian certificate. First you will need to look for a school that will accept your Nigerian certificate fully or partially. If your degree is accepted fully, you can just do a master's degree in your course of choice. If your degree is accepted partially, you may have to do additional courses to complete your degree and receive a US certificate.

I will advice you not to listen to naysayers that tell you that you Nigerian certificate is totally useless. Like I said, to make it work for you, you will still have to pursue additional certification in US to become a professional in the field you seek.

And your wife being a citizen is a huge plus because you are not an international student but a green card holder and you will be able to take advantage of certain financial aid packages the US education department offers as well as student loans.

Thanks bro this makes sense.

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Deltayankeeboi: 10:25am On May 18, 2020
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by REDBULL1(m): 10:47am On May 18, 2020
olioxx:

Hey dude I am also doing full stack and I use Django.
If you do find any bid on these freelance site.
I use Fiverr more often than not. But I am open to other sites as well.
Hala me
My email
olotua11@gmail.com

Hey bro, I sent a mail to you on this email.
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by olioxx(m): 11:31am On May 18, 2020
REDBULL1:

Hey bro, I sent a mail to you on this email.
.. Seen ..
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Anonime1105(m): 4:24pm On May 18, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Sign up on toptal. Toptal is a goal but scaling in is very hard. If you can get accepted there bros you have defeated poverty. You can be making 60k dollars a year from Nigeria.
There are others research extensively.
grin grin grin
Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by DreManuel(m): 2:33am On May 20, 2020
neurosci:

I've deleted my posts, since you consider them a derailment to your thread. Like I mentioned, I agree with every other thing you said except the student loan part, and I commented because I thought someone else might benefit from a different perspective, but I think you simply want us to agree with everything you post. So, please kindly delete the areas where you mentioned me so that my posts can disappear completely and I'll delete this one too.

Let me add my take on the student loan a bit. Depending on your credit score, age, test scores, program or school, you can get a decent student loan. Student loans can be paid up to 20 years. Interest rate can be something like 7.5%. For comps, average S&P returns is 9.8%. That means loan makers are better off buying index funds than issuing loans. I guess that’s why most firms who issue student loans are into impact investing.

So, think about what you make without education compared with having an education. They are light years apart. Do the cost benefit analysis. I won’t do the math here, but you can be better off. The only caveat is that; choose a profitable program. Think long term. As an international student, don’t take student loans to study courses like Social Work as your American counterparts sometimes do.

2 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by zagorakis(m): 9:22am On May 20, 2020
Nice thread.. Am following
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by khia: 9:42am On May 20, 2020
Leeindy:

He deleted it not bc of a lack of confidence but mostly of anger, which was justified. The problem with most of these travel threads is one person who has been in the US for all of 5 min is now expert on all US matters. Someone who has a different perspective, experience or other vantage point is wrong or in this case a clown.

But for the record he was right.
1.There are scholarships and grants available by specific major, especially those where there is a growing need.
2. Scholarships based on merit, i.e. gpa.
3. Minority scholarships especially for women and/ or in areas like STEM.
4. Depending on your place of employment, they will pay for your education.
5. If you belong to certain organizations such as sororities/fraternities, or professional organizations for example accountants
6. Scholarships/grants based on need sometimes dependent on state,
For instance if you are a single parent there are grants for them.

BUT you have to be aware of deadlines to apply, some require you to write essays, others belong to an organization.
The money is out there, but there are other applicants so perseverance and diligence are key.

Awhile back there was a database that I frequented that listed in real time alot of scholarships available.
Dont know it now.

100% correct. Don't forget the UNCF and FASFA.

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by khia: 9:57am On May 20, 2020
rinzaugustine:
Its not true.Dont make wild speculations.He won Hilary by taking electoral votes of Wisconsin,Pennsylvania and Michigan by less than 100k votes.Today he has lost a lot of voters.Republican strongholds from Louisiana to Alabama,Arkansas etc have fallen to the Democrats since the 2018 congress elections.Trump does not represent any of the values America had been known for years and he is a threat to democracy ,which is the secret to American strength today.BTW Op You come out here to support a racist who doesn’t care about people like you while advising people to avoid avoid black Americans who paid with their blood for the civil rights you are enjoying today.You ran away from Nigeria because you couldn’t stay to join in the fight against the old men ruining your country ..you also went ahead and did nursing which is now the normal Nigerian bandwagon for people who lack any other ideas on how to explore opportunities in America and now see yourself as successful? Lol...so we now know why our Nigerian ‘Wisdom’ make us look pathetic in the eyes of right and open minded thinking people..smh

BOOOOOOM!!!! There you have it. 1000% correct. grin

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by khia: 10:12am On May 20, 2020
pDudd:

Jeez. Let me try to answer your question.

Best states to consider as a new transplant: All states except New York and California. Those 2 states are too expensive.

Cold states: Michigan, Alaska, Minnesota, Chicago, Maine.

There is no place with 2 weeks Job guarantee because it all depends on the type of job you are looking for.

When did Chicago become a state? grin

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by DreManuel(m): 12:20pm On May 20, 2020
khia:

We know, it’s in the state of Illinois. What exactly is your motive? To troll or add to value to the conversation?
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 20, 2020
khia:

Lol. Sorry Illinois.

Khia you sef. Pesin nor fit make mistake again sad

We get so used to talking about Chicago and neglecting Illinois that we forget it's not a state but a city.

It's 5.20am, ain't you supposed to be sleeping?
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by khia: 1:19pm On May 20, 2020
DreManuel:

We know, it’s in the state of Illinois. What exactly is your motive? To troll or add to value to the conversation?
Not everyone knew it's in Illinois. My comment was to the op so what exactly was your motive, to troll or add to the conversation?

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by khia: 1:24pm On May 20, 2020
pDudd:

Lol. Sorry Illinois.

Khia you sef. Pesin nor fit make mistake again sad

We get so used to talking about Chicago and neglecting Illinois that we forget it's not a state but a city.

It's 5.20am, ain't you supposed to be sleeping?
Yes a person can make a mistake, and I was laughing at yours. We are in the same state, aren't you supposed to be sleeping as well.
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 1:36pm On May 20, 2020
khia:
Yes a person can make a mistake, and I was laughing at yours. We are in the same state, aren't you supposed to be sleeping as well.

I am. But you didn't answer the question.

Wahala somebody
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by DreManuel(m): 1:42pm On May 20, 2020
khia:
Not everyone knew it's in Illinois. My comment was to the op so what exactly was your motive, to troll or add to the conversation?

I called you out ‘cos you were masturbating on OP’s error without without recourse as if it brought you pleasure. I know your type on NL but congrats, you’ve “taught” someone that Chicago is in Illinois. Well, I just saw that the OP is cool with it, so whatever.
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by khia: 1:46pm On May 20, 2020
pDudd:

I am. But you didn't answer the question.

Wahala somebody
I was sleeping and I woke up and decided to have some coffee, check NL and start my work day early to get it out of the way so my day will be clear.
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by khia: 1:48pm On May 20, 2020
DreManuel:

I called you out ‘cos you were masturbating on OP’s error without without recourse as if it brought you pleasure. I know your type on NL but congrats, you’ve “taught” someone that Chicago is in Illinois. Well, I just saw that the OP is cool with it, so whatever.
You made an ass out of yourself for nothing.
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 1:55pm On May 20, 2020
khia:

I was sleeping and I woke up and decided to have some coffee, check NL and start my work day early to get it out of the way so my day will be clear.

Ok. Makes sense.

I usually set my alarm for 5.15am. So it woke me and I checked NL to look for news updates.
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by DreManuel(m): 1:59pm On May 20, 2020
khia:

You made an ass out of yourself for nothing.

Kiss my ass. Be quick cos I got work to do.
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by khia: 2:01pm On May 20, 2020
DreManuel:

Kiss my ass. Be quick cos I got work to do.
I heard Nigerian men have flat asses like white guys so how can I do that? grin
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by DreManuel(m): 2:06pm On May 20, 2020
It appears this thread is losing it's focus. I'd check back if it gets back on track. Good day y'all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UK Universities That Accept £1000 Tuition Deposit For M.Sc. Programmes / FG To Shut Section Of Third Mainland Bridge In January 2024 / Nigerians In Ecuador Let Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.