Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,318 members, 7,864,527 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 07:53 PM

How To Succeed As A Man In The US - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Succeed As A Man In The US (9695 Views)

Outrage As Police Vehicle Runs Over Handcuffed Man In Edo (Pic) / Nigerian Man In Canada Shows His COVID19 Lockdown Palliative / Homeless Nigerian Man In USA, Walks The Street Aimlessly (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by rinzaugustine: 6:50pm On May 20, 2020
khia:

BOOOOOOM!!!! There you have it. 1000% correct. grin
Yes..o these people bandy a lot of false and half baked assertions on social media all the time

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by khia: 7:02pm On May 20, 2020
rinzaugustine:
Yes..o these people bandy a lot of false and half baked assertions on social media all the time
I don't understand why the people on this forum believe everything that is told to them by so-called traveled Nigerians instead of using their critical thinking skills.

2 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Leeindy: 10:17pm On May 20, 2020
khia:

100% correct. Don't forget the UNCF and FASFA.

Oh thanks.Yes I forgot to add that in order to qualify for Pell grants and such, one must fill out the FASFA usually by March 1. BUT according to OP and his crew( that will come for me with insults no doubt) Nigerians wont get it/ qualify soo...
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by kastgeraldino: 11:41pm On May 20, 2020
The point the OP tried to make about scholarships is that the average Nigerian would most likely not be able to get an amount that would cover the cost of education, hence the need to take out loans. Most Nigerians won't be able to secure substantial scholarship amounts. I was opportuned to get full funding to a top 20 college and a top 20 graduate school but it would be silly for me to think that most Nigerians have that priviledge. I had to get ridiculously high test scores, similar to what Chinese and Indians score. I currently work in Nigeria, and I have just gotten full funding to a top 30 MBA program also in the US. The OP is talking about what the average Nigerian on the street would face. So let's stop deriding his point on the need to take out loans.
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by DreManuel(m): 12:04am On May 21, 2020
kastgeraldino:
The point the OP tried to make about scholarships is that the average Nigerian would most likely not be able to get an amount that would cover the cost of education, hence the need to take out loans. Most Nigerians won't be able to secure substantial scholarship amounts. I was opportuned to get full funding to a top 20 college and a top 20 graduate school but it would be silly for me to think that most Nigerians have that priviledge. I had to get ridiculously high test scores, similar to what Chinese and Indians score. I currently work in Nigeria, and I have just gotten full funding to a top 30 MBA program also in the US. The OP is talking about what the average Nigerian on the street would face. So let's stop deriding his point on the need to take out loans.

Your story is similar to mine.

I thought the thread was about those living in Nigeria planning to relocate to the U.S. and succeed there. However, the the topic is broader than that, and I find merit in what others are saying. If I was American or PR, heck as a minority, who takes education seriously, funding would have been relatively easier for me to get.

An average Nigerian with no green card planning to study a professional course in the U.S. should better take heed to what you’ve just written.

Full Scholarships with no strings attached are extremely rare for Nigerian students in the U.S. For instance, If you’re lucky to be a Fulbright scholar, you’d have to return to Nigeria. Can’t even recall if it’s still available to Nigerians. Even if it were, your chances of getting it would be less than 1%. Other types of funding often come as tuition waivers and stipends through TA/RA/GA and they are still difficult to get.

So as a Nigerian, if you want full-ride in the U.S. your grades must be up there relatively to your peers (and you can play the game by applying to schools that match your profile so you could be a local champion there). If you can’t be a local champion anywhere in the U.S., you’d have to take a loan my friend. I know a few people who thought they could just come here and work 2 or 3 jobs to pay there way through, but they dropped out, found someone to marry or transferred to community colleges.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 8:12pm On May 22, 2020
DreManuel:

Your story is similar to mine.

I thought the thread was about those living in Nigeria planning to relocate to the U.S. and succeed there. However, the the topic is broader than that, and I find merit in what others are saying. If I was American or PR, heck as a minority, who takes education seriously, funding would have been relatively easier for me to get.

An average Nigerian with no green card planning to study a professional course in the U.S. should better take heed to what you’ve just written.

Full Scholarships with no strings attached are extremely rare for Nigerian students in the U.S. For instance, If you’re lucky to be a Fulbright scholar, you’d have to return to Nigeria. Can’t even recall if it’s still available to Nigerians. Even if it were, your chances of getting it would be less than 1%. Other types of funding often come as tuition waivers and stipends through TA/RA/GA and they are still difficult to get.

So as a Nigerian, if you want full-ride in the U.S. your grades must be up there relatively to your peers (and you can play the game by applying to schools that match your profile so you could be a local champion there). If you can’t be a local champion anywhere in the U.S., you’d have to take a loan my friend. I know a few people who thought they could just come here and work 2 or 3 jobs to pay there way through, but they dropped out, found someone to marry or transferred to community colleges.

God will bless you in all your ways. Thanks for this.

One buffoon was here talking about scholarships are easy to get. I graduated with a 3.93 GPA and won 2 awards for academic excellence. I was top of my class too. I was only able to get 1 scholarship despite everything. And I tried to get a lot.

2 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by flyingpig: 7:20am On May 23, 2020
pDudd:

God will bless you in all your ways. Thanks for this.

One buffoon was here talking about scholarships are easy to get. I graduated with a 3.93 GPA and won 2 awards for academic excellence. I was top of my class too. I was only able to get 1 scholarship despite everything. And I tried to get a lot.

You talk of obtaining student loans, but aren't those for permanent residents or citizens?

Not for foreigners or international students. So how loan concern Nigerians

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Damian457: 9:21am On May 23, 2020
flyingpig:

You talk of obtaining student loans, but aren't those for permanent residents or citizens?

Not for foreigners or international students. So how loan concern Nigerians
as a non-citizen you can get student loan but you need a co signer
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by flyingpig: 9:30am On May 23, 2020
Damian457:
as a non-citizen you can get student loan but you need a co signer

Who can be legible to become my co-signer?

And what's difference between a student loan and scholarship

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Damian457: 10:42am On May 23, 2020
flyingpig:

Who can be legible to become my co-signer?

And what's difference between a student loan and scholarship
an eligible Co-signer must be a Green card holder or Citizen with good credit score.

Scholarships means part of or the full tuition is paid by the program. While student loan means he will go to school on credit and start paying when he starts working
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by flyingpig: 6:36pm On Jun 12, 2020
pDudd:

That guy is right. It is best to do a survey by yourself and see what the healthcare field looks like in order to make a decision. Ask for pharmacy, I have a relative here who is in pharmacy school. Before he started the program, there was a career counselor who came to speak to them about the pharmaceutical industry in US. He said that future projections showed a decline in the lucrative aspect of pharmacy because it was gradually becoming automated. People won't need a pharmacist in the future to fill out prescription and all that stuff. They can just do that online and in a few hours or days, their prescription arrives at their doorstep.

Pharmacy used to be a very high paying job but from what I was told, automation might slowly kill that industry. But please research this for yourself.

Kaiser Permanente is one of the biggest healthcare delivery giants here and people subscribed to Kaiser can easily refill their meds online and have it delivered to their doorsteps. This process just started but it is already widespread now.

Please can you request him to connect with a Nigerian based Pharmacy student who intends to come over there and practise

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UK Universities That Accept £1000 Tuition Deposit For M.Sc. Programmes / FG To Shut Section Of Third Mainland Bridge In January 2024 / Nigerians In Ecuador Let Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.