Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,416 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:27 AM

The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything (3354 Views)

TB Joshua Returns The Tithe Of A Widower And Father Of 3 / Why Many Christians Will Miss The Rapture! / Some Muslims Will Make Heaven While Some Christians Will Not. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by garyarnold(m): 6:24pm On Jan 18, 2011
@Dean55,

Abraham kept NOTHING for himself. This was NOT an act of worship. The goods that Abraham gave the tenth from didn’t even belong to Abraham:

Genesis 14:21 (NIV) - The king of Sodom said to Abram, “Give me the people and keep the goods for yourself.”

Notice in verse 21 the king of Sodom didn’t ask Abraham if he would give back to him the people, but rather said GIVE ME the people and keep the goods for yourself. The way that is worded indicates that the king of Sodom was claiming that the people and the goods belonged to him and those he represented.

Genesis 14:22-24 (NIV) - 22But Abram said to the king of Sodom, “I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, and have taken an oath 23that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the thong of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, ‘I made Abram rich.’ 24I will accept nothing but what my men have eaten and the share that belongs to the men who went with me—to Aner, Eshcol and Mamre. Let them have their share.”

Notice in verses 23 and 24 Abraham also acknowledges that the goods belonged to the king of Sodom and those he represented.

Therefore, it is clear that both the king of Sodom and Abraham acknowledged that the spoils of war did NOT belong to Abraham, yet he gave a tenth of the spoils to King Melchizedek. This would seem that Abraham did something wrong, if not even illegal, but Biblical historians agree that it was custom in Abraham's day to give the king a tenth of the war spoils. Had Abraham not given the tenth, he would have gone against custom.

Conclusion: Abraham did NOT give a tenth of his income, or his wealth. Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils of war that didn’t belong to him. That is NOT an example for Christians to follow today. Furthermore, the law did NOT require a tenth of war spoils to be given, but rather 1.1%, so to say that tithing was before the law and then in the law is not true. What Abraham did was NOT codified into the later law.

The next mention of a tithe is Jacob's VOW to tithe. Jacob set the conditions, not God. Nowhere in The Word does it tell us that Jacob actually tithed. Genesis 28:10-22
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by newmi(m): 8:10pm On Jan 18, 2011
Eveything is not recorded in the bible. He was a tither and  he gave tithes of all. Gold, silver and livestocks. God took vows seriously because God reminded him of thesame vow in chapter 31

Genesis 31:13. I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed a pillar and where you made a vow to me. Now leave this land at once and go back to your native land. ’ ”
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by garyarnold(m): 8:27pm On Jan 18, 2011
@newmi,

If it's not recorded in the Bible, what makes you think Abraham tithed more than once?

Doesn't God WARN about adding to His Word? Just as I have no proof that Abraham didn't tithe more than once, you have no proof that he did.

I can only go by what the scriptures tell me, now what it doesn't tell me.

I could just as well have said that the Bible doesn't tell us everything, but Jesus told us to stop tithing. I would have as much proof with that statement as you do with yours.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by newmi(m): 10:31am On Jan 19, 2011
If. We must stick with the bible, there is no scripture that says God did away with tithe. It existed before the law so the changing of the law is insignificant to tithing.let's not work by assumptions .
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by KunleOshob(m): 10:38am On Jan 19, 2011
@newmumu
Hebrews 7:5-19 clearly states that tithes has been done away with. It also described it as a weak useless and unprofitable practise.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by Snowwy: 10:59am On Jan 19, 2011
Hello KunleOshob,
Are you not tired of all this. Let it be abi? If you do not want to pay tithe, let others that want to go ahead.
You keep bringing up this scripture and this scripture refers to the perfection through Jesus and not the law.
Kindly explain verse 8 highlighted below:

Hebrews 7 (New International Version, ©2010)

Hebrews 7
Melchizedek the Priest
1 This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him, 2 and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, the name Melchizedek means “king of righteousness”; then also, “king of Salem” means “king of peace.” 3 Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, resembling the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.
4 Just think how great he was: Even the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the plunder! 5 Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth from the people—that is, from their fellow Israelites—even though they also are descended from Abraham. 6 This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises. 7 And without doubt the lesser is blessed by the greater. 8 In the one case, the tenth is collected by people who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living. 9 One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham, 10 because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor.

Jesus Like Melchizedek
11 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood—and indeed the law given to the people established that priesthood—why was there still need for another priest to come, one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? 12 For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also. 13 He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe, and no one from that tribe has ever served at the altar. 14 For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests. 15 And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears, 16 one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life. 17 For it is declared:
   “You are a priest forever,
   in the order of Melchizedek.”[a]

18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19 (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

Also see the verses below.

14 For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests. 15 And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears, 16 one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life.
18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19 (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

So can you understand what this scripture relates to?
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by KunleOshob(m): 12:56pm On Jan 19, 2011
The scripture makes it clear that tithing is not relevant to the priesthood of christ as he is not from the tribe of the levitical priest who are the only ones permitted to collect God's tithe. Going by verse 12 of that passage, it implied even Jesus was not qualified to collect tithes how much less the charlatans claiming to represent him today.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by Snowwy: 1:03pm On Jan 19, 2011
Sorry Kunle,
You deftly tried to dodge my question and your response is vague.  I think you should really thread carefully when interpreting scriptures as I can see how good you misinterprete passages. Verse 12 bears no relevance to what you just posted.
KunleOshob:

The scripture makes it clear that tithing is not relevant to the priesthood of christ as he is not from the tribe of the levitical priest who are the only ones permitted to collect God's tithe. Going by verse 12 of that passage, it implied even Jesus was not qualified to collect tithes how much less the charlatans claiming to represent him today.
6 This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises.
So what are you saying here since Melchizedek still took tithes from Abraham and Jesus is a Priest Forever in the order of Mechizedek?

However, if that is your interpretation, all well and good.  smiley

Someone with better understanding should please explain verse 8:
8 In the one case, the tenth is collected by people who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by garyarnold(m): 6:26pm On Jan 19, 2011
Abraham gave a tenth of WAR SPOILS that didn't even belong to him. He kept NOTHING for himself. There is no other example of Abraham tithing. There is NO example of Abraham ever tithing on his regular income or wealth.

Now, if you want to follow Abraham's example, follow it, but don't change it.

Also, Abraham was blessed by Melchizedek before he gave the tenth, not after. Abraham didn't claim that he was giving the tenth to God.

Plus, Biblical historians agree that during the days of Abraham, it was CUSTOM to give a tenth of war spoils to the king. But ignoring the historians, the Word doesn't tell us WHY Abraham gave the tenth.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by newmi(m): 3:57am On Jan 20, 2011
KunleOshob:

@newmumu
Hebrews 7:5-19 clearly states that tithes has been done away with. It also described it as a weak useless and unprofitable practise.
hi my boy- kuns kuns  grin grin grin
this is just a concern; are you sure the glasses you are using  are not stained or maybe you are beginning to see men as trees  grin  grin grin
wake up boy you still have a long way  grin
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by garyarnold(m): 4:02am On Jan 20, 2011
@newmi,

In Hebrews 7:5 we are told that Levi (the Levites) took the tithes under the law. In Hebrews 7:12 we are told that when the priesthood changes, the law will change. Hebrews 7:18 is telling us that Numbers 18 was disannulled. Numbers 18 established the Levitical priesthood, and part of that establishing included tithing. When the Levitical priesthood ended (at Calvary, or at least in the year 70AD when the temple was destroyed), all laws that established that priesthood were canceled. If Numbers 18 wasn't canceled, we would still be under the Levitical priesthood.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by Snowwy: 7:44am On Jan 20, 2011
Anyone understand Hebrews 7:8?

@garyarnold,
The law stated, as being done away with, was the law of perfection through the Levitical priesthood not the 'law' of tithe.
And the law of honour your father and mother still exist, so are you saying that is also done away with?

We are still to keep God's commands even though we are under grace. Romans 5:20.
However, all is to be done with faith.

If Jesus said that tithe should not be neglected but we should focus on weighthier matters of the law which are justice, mercy and faith, are you now saying that after Christ's death, we should not tithe, have mercy or faith?
Are you saying that all Christ said before his death was under the 'law'? So how do you live to be like Christ?
Do not tell me he was speaking to the scribes/pharisees because when he was saying unless a man is born again he will not see the Kingdom of God, he was speaking to a Pharisee too.
We live under God's grace hence we should do all things through faith as the just lives by faith. SIMPLE!

You see where you people keep shifting the goal posts? If you do not believe in it, then leave it but stop saying things you do not understand. lipsrsealed
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by Zikkyy(m): 8:12am On Jan 20, 2011
Snowwy:

The law stated, as being done away with, was the law of perfection through the Levitical priesthood not the 'law' of tithe.

The way I see it. if there is no Levitical Priesthood, then there is no more rendering of tithe to the Levites. It means there are no priest from the tribe of Levi to receive the tithe. God has not given a new instruction to take the tithe to some other place. For now, no Levi priest, no tithe.

Snowwy:

And the law of honour your father and mother still exist, so are you saying that is also done away with?

I believe you still have parents. If you dropped from the sky, there will be no parents to honour grin

Snowwy:

We are still to keep God's commands even though we are under grace.

God instruction was that you take the tithe to the Levi priest and not to your local church.

Snowwy:

If Jesus said that tithe should not be neglected but we should focus on weighthier matters of the law which are justice, mercy and faith, are you now saying that after Christ's death, we should not tithe, have mercy or faith?
Are you saying that all Christ said before his death was under the 'law'? So how do you live to be like Christ?
Do not tell me he was speaking to the scribes/pharisees because when he was saying unless a man is born again he will not see the Kingdom of God, he was speaking to a Pharisee too.

When Christ made that statement, the Levi priests were still very much around and happy to collect your tithe.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by Snowwy: 8:25am On Jan 20, 2011
@Zikkyy,
Hmmmmn, the letter killeth indeed. That is your opinion, it is Godly wisdom that can expound His word.

For all who keep saying that we are no longer under the law, hence all the commandments are done away with, this excerp from a message blessed me and it may aid your understanding better too if you allow God:

The law of God is important to Christians. Not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, has disappeared. Every jot and tittle must be fulfilled. The law is as relevant today as it was on the day God engraved it into the tablets of stone. Therefore, says Jesus,

(Mt 5:17-19) "DO NOT THINK THAT I CAME TO DESTROY THE LAW or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore BREAKS ONE OF the least of THESE commandments, and teaches men so, shall be CALLED LEAST IN THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

By grace we are forgiven when we break the law. But grace brings more than the forgiveness and redemption we looked at this morning. It also brings obedience and holiness. One of the purposes of grace is to enable us to obey the law.

Let me put it this way: if you do not keep the law you have not received grace. You may have had an emotional or psychological or even a religious experience that you call grace; but it is not grace that you have received if it does not make you keep the law.

What is grace? It is that marvellous free gift of God which delivers a man from the curse of the law and enables him to keep the law. Grace is that which brings me to love God and keep His commandments. "If you love me," says Christ, "you will obey what I command" (John 14:15).

We must never separate these two things. Grace and holiness belong together. Forgiveness and obedience go hand-in-hand.

A sign on the freeway reads, SPEED LIMIT 70. You glance at your speedometer. It registers 75. A car passes you going at least 80. A huge semi follows, sucking you toward the center line. But what about the law, that 70 miles-per-hour sign?

Laws are lifeless words on statute books. They restrain only if power backs them up. Who of us hasn't let up on the gas pedal when a police car appeared in the rearview mirror? That's police power. But can you think of a time when a law or a policeman instilled within you a love for driving 70?
The same is true with God's commands. Fear of punishment or getting caught may check our actions. But it takes a stronger force than that to make us want to obey. That power comes from a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. That power comes from grace,
smiley
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by Zikkyy(m): 9:14am On Jan 20, 2011
^^^^^ What law are you referring to here? The Mosaic law? What the message here? that Christ is yet to fulfill the law? Don’t post anything without an explanation, there is that possibility my interpretation might not reflect the message you are passing accross. But if you want to go back to the era of burnt offering, sin offering, guilt offering e.t.c. Have fun then. I think you are still going to have some issues though; there are no Levi priest to receive your tithe  smiley
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by Snowwy: 4:28pm On Jan 20, 2011
Zikky,
Christ revealed the full meanings behind the laws of God by preaching the gospel in order to bring the knowledge of salvation through the obedience of the commandments, not only by the letter, but in the spirit of the law. Christ fulfilled the law by bringing it to its full meaning and intent. He magnified the laws and commandments of God, and made clear the spiritual aspects of the law.

He 10:5-12 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me: In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure. Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;"

1 John 2:3-5 (New King James Version)
3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by garyarnold(m): 5:56pm On Jan 20, 2011
@Snowwy,

Matthew 5:17-18 states Christ came to fulfill the law and not abolish it.

This is where some education in law is useful.  What does fulfill mean?  What does abolish mean?

Let me give an example.  A legal contract is enforceable under the law.  Let’s say you hire a contractor to build a swimming pool in your back yard.  Once the contractor has completed the job, and everything in that contract has been completed, the contract has been fulfilled.  The contractor’s job is to fulfill the contract, not abolish it.  He fulfills it by completing the terms, bringing it to an end.

Consider:

Hebrews 8:13 (KJV) - In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Colossians 2:14 (KJV) - Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Galatians 5:18 (KJV) - But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Galatians 3:19 (KJV) - Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. In other words, until Jesus came and fulfilled the law.

Galatians 3:23-25 (KJV)
23But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Galatians 3:10-14 (KJV)
10For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

The law is to bring us to Christ.  Once we have accepted Christ and are filled with the Holy Spirit, the law is no longer necessary. It has fulfilled its purpose.

But even taking your position that we are under the commandments, which ones are we under?  There were 613 commands.  And remember, the Ten Commandments do not include tithing.

Furthermore, NO ONE is following the tithing commands of God.  There are THREE of them.  Which one(s) do you follow:

Leviticus 27:30-33, Numbers 18:  The First Tithe - a tenth of crops and animals and commanded to take the tithe to the Levites.

Deuteronomy 14:22-27:  The Second Tithe aka The Festival Tithe - a tenth of crops, plus add to that the firstborn animals, and take for the yearly feast.

Deuteronomy 14:28-29:  The Third Tithe aka The Three-Year Tithe aka The Poor Tithe - a tenth of crops, kept at home, and invite the Levites, widows, orphans, stranger to eat.

That's it.  No more.  Now, please tell me, WHICH ONE(S) OF GOD'S TITHING COMMANDS TO YOU FOLLOW?

I can tell you the answer.  NONE OF THEM.  What you follow is man's manipulation of the Levitical tithe
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by Joagbaje(m): 6:10pm On Jan 20, 2011
The law only amplified it. Tithe is based on relationship with God. The law is irrelevant in this sense because tithe existed before the law. Jaccob , and Abraham tithes even when the law was not in existed. The levitical order is over becasue it only accomodated the jews but now we are are back to the order of mechizedek who was a tithe collector , Jesus is our highpriest . We don't have to make references to levitical order, was melchizededk a Levite? No. So we don't need levite to tithe.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by garyarnold(m): 6:33pm On Jan 20, 2011
@Joagbaje,

Show me where Jacob ever tithed. Jacob put conditions on God and said that IF God met those conditions, he would give a tenth of everything that God gave to him. No one does the scripture tell us that Jacob ever, in fact, gave a tenth of anything.

Abraham gave a tenth of war spoils and kept nothing for himself. There is NO scripture telling us that Abraham tithed on his regular income or wealth.

You are drawing assumptions from what is missing from the scriptures.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by Joagbaje(m): 6:33pm On Jan 20, 2011
@ garyarnold

garyarnold:

@newmi,
In Hebrews 7:5 we are told that Levi (the Levites) took the tithes under the law.  In Hebrews 7:12 we are told that when the priesthood changes, the law will change.  Hebrews 7:18 is telling us that Numbers 18 was disannulled.  Numbers 18 established the Levitical priesthood, and part of that establishing included tithing.  When the Levitical priesthood ended (at Calvary, or at least in the year 70AD when the temple was destroyed), all laws that established that priesthood were canceled.  If Numbers 18 wasn't canceled, we would still be under the Levitical priesthood.

Tithing is not a law . it is based on spiritual principles.  There are things under the law that are based on spiritual principles , so even after the law is done away with , these things are still valid because they are based on spiritual principles. If you as you stated above feel everything under the law is done away with what do you say about honouring parents.?

Deuteronomy 5:16
16 Honour thy father and thy mother, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Accordidng to you , this ought to have been done away with. So I ask you is it still valid or not?
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by newmi(m): 6:36pm On Jan 20, 2011
^^^
good question!
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by garyarnold(m): 6:54pm On Jan 20, 2011
@Joanbaje,

You gave the OT command to honour your father and mother.

I say ALL the Old Testament laws ended at the cross. I believe that only that which is REPEATED in the New Testament is meant for Christians.

New Testament:
Ephesians 6:2 (KJV) Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promisewink

You will find that NINE of the Ten Commandments, or the substance thereof, are repeated in the New Testament.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by Joagbaje(m): 7:10pm On Jan 20, 2011
That's not true , what of sabbath?

Exodus 20:8
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

You said the the changing of the priesthood nullified all the content of the law. If paul could quote certain things under the law , it's simply because they are based on spiritual principles. Same thing goes for tithe, prayers, worship first fruits etc. They are based on spiritual principles

Deuteronomy 5:16
16 Honour thy father and thy mother, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Ephesians 6:2
Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promisewink

So you can see here that the idea that the content under the law are nullified in christ is not accurate. If the manuscript of Paul was not found on honoring the father and mother, some people would have capitalised on it. The fact that not so much has been said on tithe in the new thing should not make us jump into conclusion . There is no direct instruction to abolish tithe.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by garyarnold(m): 7:19pm On Jan 20, 2011
That's not true , what of sabbath?

The sabbath is not repeated in the New Testament.

In MY opinion ( MY opinion), those who think they must not work on Saturday, or do no business on Saturday, haven't really found the truth. They are doing works to please God, and Jesus already did it all.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by garyarnold(m): 7:21pm On Jan 20, 2011
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Can be many interpretations as to what that means.

It does NOT say go to church on Saturdays.

THE sabbath day = ONE DAY. Doesn't say sabbath days.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by garyarnold(m): 7:23pm On Jan 20, 2011
Recently got a Seventh-day Adventist pastor to read my book on tithing. He was shocked and told me the leadership needs to see this. He had blindly accepted what he had been taught, and now sees the error.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by KunleOshob(m): 7:38pm On Jan 20, 2011
@Garyarnold
Keep up the great work you are doing on exposing this tithing fraud, millions are being set free from the shackles of tithes they have been placed under by their greedy preachers. But please note that we also need to teach brethen the essence of true christian giving which is based on selfless love for others. Christians should be made to understand that it is our duty to bless the less priviledge amongst us.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by Joagbaje(m): 7:41pm On Jan 20, 2011
@Garyarnorld
My point is that ,the fact that the priesthood got changed does not nulify everything under the law. What jesus fulfied is done away with , such as , burnt offerings , blood sacrifices, observation of the sabbath. But the tithing has nothing to do with the coming messiah, Jesus didn't fulfilled that part , it is based on spiritual principle.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by garyarnold(m): 7:43pm On Jan 20, 2011
But please note that we also need to teach brethen the essence of true christian giving which is based on selfless love for others.

Christian giving is also a part of my teaching and included in my book.

The New Testament teaches generous, sacrificial giving, from the heart, according to our means. For some, $1 might be a sacrifice, while for others, even giving 50% of their income might not induce a sacrifice. In the Old Testament, ONLY the farmers tithed, and it was equal percentage (a tenth). The New Testament teaches the principle of equal sacrifice instead of equal percentage. Equal sacrifice is much harder to achieve, if not impossible, than giving ten percent.

I believe those guided by The Spirit, and are financially able, give far more than a mere tenth of their income.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by garyarnold(m): 7:45pm On Jan 20, 2011
But the tithing has nothing to do with the coming messiah, Jesus didn't fulfilled that part , it is based on spiritual principle.

I disagree. Tithing was based on a law, not a principle. There is no principle of giving when understanding the Biblical tithe.

Abraham gave a tenth. He didn't pay the Biblical tithe. So, why a tenth?

The number ten symbolizes a whole item, and also completion.

From Christian Resources Today, “Ten : 10 - Biblical Meaning of Number: deals with completeness that happens in a divine order or completed during a course of time. There's nothing that is left wanting within the complete cycle the number ten has just completed.”

That would be the reason for a tenth and not 2 tenths, etc. One tenth would symbolize completeness; a complete transaction.

I count just over 300 occurrences of the words ten or tenth in the KJV of the Holy Bible. 95% occur before Calvary. The number 10 has much significance in the Old Testament but virtually no significance in the New Testament. In fact, some of the few times those words appear after Calvary it is in reference to the Old Covenant.

At Calvary, the Old Covenant came to its completion. There is nothing after Calvary to suggest that the number ten represents completion.

In the New Testament, God wants 100% of us. Since we are now under grace, rather than use percentages or guidelines for giving, God will look at our heart. Many will have a false sense of security by following the Old Testament tithing law as a guideline when maybe God wants that person to give 50% or more. Using the Old Testament law as a guideline is opposite to using the Holy Spirit.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by Zikkyy(m): 7:55pm On Jan 20, 2011
Joagbaje:

The law only amplified it.

What did the law amplify?

Joagbaje:

Jaccob , and Abraham tithes even when the law was not in existed.

This happened in your dreams.

Joagbaje:

we are are back to the order of mechizedek who was a tithe collector , Jesus is our highpriest .

And this makes Christ a tithe collector? The new priestly order is one that is not based on succession. It is an eternal priesthood (based on an indestructible life). This is how Hebrews described the’ order of Melchizedek’. This is where the similarities between Christ & Melchizedek end (aside the meaning of his name). You people should learn to separate the ‘order of Melchizedek’ from Melchizedek’s (the person) function as a priest. It is very wrong to equate Christ priesthood to that of Melchizedek? The whole idea of the Hebrews passage was to prove the superiority of Christ priesthood over that of the Levites. It was never an attempt to link tithing activities under Melchizedek to what should obtain under Christ priesthood.
Re: The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything by garyarnold(m): 8:16pm On Jan 20, 2011
Isn't it odd that even though Abram gave a tenth directly to Melchizedek, the king/priest, that some Christians think they can give directly to God by giving it to their pastor?

I find it quite offensive that pastors have appointed themselves to be the receiver of what belongs to God. After all, the pastor says the tithe belongs to God. Then he self-appoints himself to receive the tithe!!!

God never gave any pastor or church permission to receive his tithe or his gifts.

Since the tithe belongs to God, if your pastor accepts it isn't he stealing it from God?

Lucky for those of you who think you tithe, you are merely giving a tenth of your income to your church. You aren't paying the Biblical tithe or you would be disobeying God's command to take His tithe to the Levites. But then, if in your heart you are paying the Biblical tithe, then I guess you are sinning and breaking God's commands.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Cowardice Of Christianity (re; The Cowardice Of Atheism) / . / A Thread About Christian Terrorists, Paedophiles And Fraudsters!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.