Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,105 members, 7,811,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Letter To All Nigerian V.cs - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Letter To All Nigerian V.cs (651 Views)

Top Ten Universities With Finest V.cs???? / Letter To All Nigerian V.cs / Letter To All Nigerian V.cs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by fataiiyo(m): 3:38pm On Jan 16, 2011
LETTER TO ALL NIGERIAN V.Cs

Sir, one of the problems in many, if not all Nigerian universities is that some of the Vice- Chancellors (V.Cs) are too far away from their students despite the fact that they are on campus with their students! They often erroneously believe that getting close to their students is condescending. Whereas, getting close to the students will create mutual understanding as communication gap will be bridged.

To underscore my points, how many V.Cs operate an open-door policy in which their students have direct access to them? How many V.Cs give out their mobile line to student for direct communication? In this information and communication age, how many of our powerful V.Cs are on the Facebook or any other social network medium with which their students can pass information across? If President Goodluck Jonathan can find Facebook useful in sharing information with Nigerians, why are our V.Cs still hiding in the comfort of their offices?

Apart from matriculation and graduation ceremonies, many Nigerian V.Cs are not visible, hence, many students don’t know their V.Cs throughout the four years spent on campus. This is not good. V.Cs should manage our campuses by opening up to the students, wandering about the campuses to know what is going on; if possible, sit for a few minutes in a lecture room to listen to the lecturers.

I am propelled to challenge all our V.Cs this way as a result of my recent encounter with the University of Ibadan (UI) VC, Prof. Isaac Folorunso Adewole. I had heard so much good reports about Prof. Adewole since he was appointed, but l never met him or saw him physically because of protocols built around him.

However, at a christening ceremony of a new born baby of Mr & Mrs Sunday Saanu, the VC’s media man, which I attended, I was lucky to have met my VC at the occasion. I was shocked when l saw the UI VC along with his wife, attending the ceremony. Mr Saanu introduced us to the VC as students at Ibadan. I was dazed with the humility displayed by our highly respected VC. He shook hands with all of us and exchanged banters. Prof. Adewole was lively, friendly and amiable; he even took photograph with us. I was more than happy and excited. When he was leaving the ceremony, he gave us “transport fare” as an expression of his love for us. It was as I was dreaming.

Since then, my impression about him changed. I now know that if our VCs can be closer to their students, there will be less tension on our campuses. I have been carrying the picture I took with my VC around and my friends are envious just as my fiancée now respects me more because she sees me as VC’s friend.

Prof. Adewole is even on Facebook. I have added him as my friend. This is how our VCs should open up. We want to interact with them in order to have solution to our problems. I therefore say kudos to Prof. Adewole for setting a good example for others to follow. He should keep up the good work he has started at Ibadan. Indeed, if Prof. Adewole continues this way, he will see that nobody will demonstrate against him throughout his tenure. Our political leaders should learn lesson from this. When we would have voted for them, they have this habit of hiding away from us until election time. Our leaders should be visible and available.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by opezz: 8:00pm On Jan 16, 2011
Greatest uites! I attest to all what you said concerning our vc, Prof I.F Adewole, i have also seen him physically addressing we the fresh students at jaja clinic when on tour of the clinic, he is truly a man of his words. He promised us at the orientation ceremony to give out his phone number and that of other principal officers of Ui which was printed and distributed to us the third day of our orientation. Greatest of the greatest uites!!!
Alabede opeyemi.
Political science
100L
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by fataiiyo(m): 9:43am On Jan 17, 2011
GREAT!
THANKS FOR THE MESSAGE, MAKE SURE U FACE UR STUDIES COS UI IS NOT EASY. I WISH U BEST OF LUCK IN UR
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by opezz: 4:51pm On Jan 17, 2011
Thanks bro, God will surely help us all.

(1) (Reply)

Unilag Clearance / Pume / Delta State University Post-utme Shelter.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.