Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,578 members, 7,847,440 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 05:31 PM

The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 (1903 Views)

Does It Mean, The Map Of Biafra Has Been Technically Drawn Today? / So Biafra Has Been In Existence Over 17 Century, See Book That Was Written In 17 / The Origins Of The Word Biafra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by Nobody: 9:03am On May 21, 2020
Last night I saw one of the Facebook post of Nnamdi Kanu. It says "As far as 1895, Britain call us Biafra, if Biafra was not a nation why did the British send an emissary to us?" This statement provoked my intuitive nature to do research whether the above statement is true.

I started from the word Biafra. I saw a definition by a Biafran, it says - "It is a Nation. The word Biafra is coined from two IGBO WORDS 'bia' which means COME and 'fara' which means LIVE."

Okay, the source is not legit let me dig deeper, then I saw the age-old map that Nnamdi Kanu and his followers are using to judge the Ibos are the first settler in Nigeria given that its only Biafra that was on the map.

In fact this where I found my answer.

Origin of Biafra

The Bight of Biafra, or Mafra (named after the town Mafra in southern Portugal), between Capes Formosa and Lopez, is the most eastern part of the Gulf of Guinea; it contains the islands Fernando Po [Equitorial Guinea], Prince’s and St Thomas’s. The name Biafra - as indicating the country - fell into disuse in the later part of the 19th century.

A 1710 map indicates that the region known as "Biafar" (Biafra) was located in present day Cameroon.

Its very simple to say Biafra is a foreign name, named after Bight of Biafra named a town in southern Portugal.

The Biafra in the age-old map was demarcated by Slave merchants as travel via the Bight of Biafra is estimated to account for 13% (1.6 million) of the total number of enslaved people exported from the Western African coast.

In 1777, Portugal transferred control of Fernando Poo and Annobon to Spanish suzerainty thus introducing Spain into the early colonial history of the Bight of Biafra

There was nothing like Biafra is joining of two igbo words. The Biafra in age-old map Nnamdi Kanu is parading about is a slave trading port of Portugal.

Biafra is a foreign name which Ojukwu picked because of Bight of Biafra just like saying Benin Republic was named after Bight of Benin.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by successmatters(m): 9:05am On May 21, 2020
Thank you MinorityOpinion, you are helping Nnamdi Kanu in his mission to destroy Nigeria with the TRUTH.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by Nwanyiogwashi(f): 9:09am On May 21, 2020
Op put your energy here cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by Nobody: 9:10am On May 21, 2020
successmatters:
Thank you MinorityOpinion, you are helping Nnamdi Kanu in his mission to destroy Nigeria with the TRUTH.

We can't move forward if we keep twisting history. Every IPOB post is a lie covered in another lie.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by Nobody: 9:13am On May 21, 2020
Nwanyiogwashi:
Op put your energy here cheesy grin

That's Yoruba and their problem. angry

Nnamdi kalu is a liar. I wonder how shady can someone be to be lying to a whole tribe.

Then I discovered its not the whole tribe but only gullible ones among them. Kalu is a scammer

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by Nwanyiogwashi(f): 9:15am On May 21, 2020
[[s]quote author=MinorityOpinion post=89789255]

Nnamdi kalu is liar. I wonder how shady can someone be lying to whole tribe.

Then I discovered its not the whole tribe but only gullible ones among them. Kalu is a scammer [/quote][/s] your people need your energy here

2 Likes

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by successmatters(m): 9:16am On May 21, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

We can't move forward if we keep twisting history. Every IPOB is a lie covered in another lie.

Please try and open another 10 Biafra based topics where you will be talking about IPOB. We are watching and taking notes on how you have been advertising the struggle, even while starving and keeping sleepless nights. You have been noticed and will be rewarded when we get out new country.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by Emmanuelhector(m): 9:16am On May 21, 2020
OP is a spitting zombie
Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by Nobody: 9:19am On May 21, 2020
IPOB don't want to know their history but will listen to a lair twisted jargons. It's a pity really

There was once a Biafra. It's now a comedy show in the hand of Nnamdi Kanu

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by successmatters(m): 9:19am On May 21, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Nnamdi kalu is liar. I wonder how shady can someone be lying to whole tribe.

Then I discovered its not the whole tribe but only gullible ones among them. Kalu is a scammer

And this has consumed your whole life, keeping you awake most nights and making you jobless?

I think you're more interested about retaining your Niger Delta oil feeding bottle, of which your tribe will lose as Nnamdi Kanu is succeeding every minute.

Kpele.
Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by nijabazaar: 9:22am On May 21, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

We can't move forward if we keep twisting history. Every IPOB is a lie covered in another lie.

Thank you for helping ipob to highlight the failures of this contraption. More grease.

You will be surely rewarded. How about senior assistant to the Biafran information minister. It's a rather juicy offer. Many wouldn't hesitate on the offer.

4 Likes

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by successmatters(m): 9:22am On May 21, 2020
MinorityOpinion:
IPOB don't want to know their history but will listen to a lair twisted jargons. It's a pity really

There was once a Biafra. It's now a comedy show in the hand of Nnamdi Kanu

Every word that comes from the mouth of Nnamdi Kanu is law to us. He is the most credible man alive now.

Who did you want us to believe before, Lair Mohamend or who? grin

2 Likes

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by successmatters(m): 9:23am On May 21, 2020
nijabazaar:

Thank you for helping ipob to highlight the failures of this contraption. More grease.

They are really trying. IPOB has hired online campaigners, and the genius Nnamdi Kanu did that without paying them a dime!

That's genius. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by Nobody: 9:24am On May 21, 2020
successmatters:

Please try and open another 10 Biafra based topics where you will be talking about IPOB. We are watching and taking notes on how you have been advertising the struggle, even while starving and keeping sleepless nights. You have been noticed and will be rewarded when we get out new country.

Sleepless night? I wrote that in 20min. Nnamdi need to rethink and re-strategise his campaign because Nigerians are happy with the way he's taking Biafra down with him to dust

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by successmatters(m): 9:26am On May 21, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Sleepless night? I wrote that in 20min. Nnamdi need to rethink and re-strategise his campaign because Nigerians are happy with the way he's taking Biafra down with him to dust

On the contrary, I would have grown up and grown old without knowing my rights as a Biafran if not for the approach of Nnamdi Kanu. I have been growing up learning and loving my tribe just because of Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB.

1 Like

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by nijabazaar: 9:27am On May 21, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Can you please highlight on why Biafra is the dreaded African Tiger. An article here , especially by you, goes a long way to promote Biafran initiatives. You can do that in 20 mins. Issues concerning Biafra are your forte. I like how you promote us. More grease, Dear

2 Likes

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by Nobody: 9:29am On May 21, 2020
They are laughing but deep down, it's anger, anxiety and pain with disgust.

They know Nnamdi Kalu is not the answer because he's a walking time bomb ready to detonate and take everyone down with him.

But what more can they do?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by successmatters(m): 9:31am On May 21, 2020
MinorityOpinion:
They are laughing but deep down, it's anger, anxiety and pain with disgust.

They know Nnamdi Kalu is not the answer because he's a walking time bomb ready to detonate and take everyone down with him.

But what more can they do?

Who do you think can become a president of Biafra, suggest a person that can lead us to become among the world's top 10 economies in 10 years of Biafra.

20 minutes grin

1 Like

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by Nobody: 9:32am On May 21, 2020
successmatters:

On the contrary, I would have grown up and grown old without knowing my rights as a Biafran if not for the approach of Nnamdi Kanu. I have been growing up learning and loving my tribe just because of Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB.

He's not teaching you how to love your tribe but how to hate other tribes and also other igbos that are indifferent to the struggle of Biafra.

Hate can't win but love can

1 Like

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by BrownLondon(m): 9:33am On May 21, 2020
Biafra is dead.

2 Likes

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by valirex: 9:33am On May 21, 2020
Ride on, keep destroying their lies cheesy.
Where dem see emissary grin

2 Likes

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by Nobody: 9:34am On May 21, 2020
nijabazaar:

Can you please highlight on why Biafra is the dreaded African Tiger. An article here , especially by you, goes a long way to promote Biafran initiatives. You can do that in 20 mins. Issues concerning Biafra are your forte. I like how you promote us. More grease, Dear

Lol.

1 Like

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by successmatters(m): 9:35am On May 21, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

He's not teaching you how to love your tribe but how to hate other tribes and also other igbos that are indifferent to the struggle of Biafra.

Hate can't win but love can

Yet he has been on the forefront of the fight to find the missing VP?

Yet he spoke out against the killing of unarmed shiite protesters?

How else can he love others?

2 Likes

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by successmatters(m): 9:37am On May 21, 2020
BrownLondon:
Biafra is dead.

You will need to keep saying this in a million more threads because the movement is gathering momentum, keeping you busy and afraid.

1 Like

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by valirex: 9:39am On May 21, 2020
successmatters:

1. By stopping the insult he pours out. Who the fvck is he to call Nigerians animals.
2. By asking the regions he's marginalizing if they are interested in his biafra.

As simple as that undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by Nobody: 9:40am On May 21, 2020
valirex:
Ride on, keep destroying their lies cheesy.
Where dem see emissary grin

In 1895 when they were still working around naked. In fact they did not have sense of identity as igbo until British came and orientated them.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by successmatters(m): 9:41am On May 21, 2020
valirex:

1. By stopping the insult he pours out. Who the fvck is he to call Nigerians animals.
2. By asking the regions he's marginalizing if they are interested in his biafra.

As simple as that undecided

However he wants to get us Biafra, we are following.

"All is just in war and love" Mrs El Rufai - 2020

1 Like

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by Nobody: 9:43am On May 21, 2020
successmatters:

Has he talk about the minorities Biafra soldier killer during the war

The ipob criminals that FG arrested recently

Or a young ipob that want to bomb Nigeria?

Why did he supported Orji Kalu? A known criminal?

1 Like

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by BrownLondon(m): 9:44am On May 21, 2020
successmatters:

You will need to keep saying this in a million more threads because the movement is gathering momentum, keeping you busy and afraid.
Biafra died in 1970 and shall not be seen again.

Keep deceiving yourself online, no go find job.

Online Federal republic of Biafra.

2 Likes

Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by Nobody: 9:44am On May 21, 2020
successmatters:

One thing I'm happy about. DSS and EFCC

One will transfer his ill-gotten money to federal account and the other will throw him inside kuje prison
Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by successmatters(m): 9:45am On May 21, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Has he talk about the minorities Biafra soldier killer during the war

The ipob criminals that FG arrested recently

Or a young ipob that want to bomb Nigeria?

Why did he supported Orji Kalu? A known criminal?

Where do you think the VP is being hidden?
Re: The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 by successmatters(m): 9:47am On May 21, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

One thing I'm happy about. DSS and EFCC

One will transfer his ill-gotten money to federal account and the other will throw him inside kuje prison

Toothless bulldogs who are so blind the they can't even arrest a Tinibu who took a whole 2 billion vans of loot home grin grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Apostle Suleiman is Sad as protesters Rob and destroyed properties worth milns / Senator Rochas Okorocha Is With The Police In Owerri-photo / @EFCC: Where Did Oba Of Lagos Get 2million$, And 17m Naira?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.