Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,619 members, 7,851,096 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:24 PM

If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? (1136 Views)

What Sector Of The Nigerian Economy Need The Most Attention / “If Goodluck Jonathan Were President During Coronavirus” By Reno Omokri / Buhari: Mr. President, What Is Happening? By Gabriel Ogunjobi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by Norahsthought(f): 3:31pm On May 21, 2020
Having been exposed to not so classified but not exactly public information regarding certain aspects of the Nigerian Government, I have found that it is much more complex to solve Nigeria's problems that the masses know.

Usually, I hear people talk about ideas on exactly what the government should focus on and how the government has a approached a matter wrongly. Even though sometimes true, most times, it's completely wrong. Nigerians don't know how tough it is to solve problems in Nigeria and usually we jump into conclusions without a full context of what the problem is. E.g Abacha's looting. Buba Galadima was a member of the Board of Trustees, National Party of Nigeria (NPN) in 1978, and Abacha's boy. He said Abacha followed the advice of other African Presidents by stashing money against impending sanctions by the US. I know this doesn't sound rational but this could highly be the truth, but we prefer the idea of distributing our government.

So here's my question, if you were Nigeria's President, what sector would you focus on first to kickstart development in Nigeria? Please a little explanation about your answer would suffice.

Mynd44
Lalasticala
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by justlikedat: 3:34pm On May 21, 2020
Power

3 Likes

Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 21, 2020
Restructuring.

I'll call everyone together, from governors, senators and all the ethnic groups king's and leaders. No one will be left out.

We'll discuss about the future of this country and the way to progress forward. This country needs serious restructuring because we know we aren't one.

Tribes and region should be able to control most of their resources.

Region should control their own power.

So many things will be discussed

4 Likes

Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by Norahsthought(f): 3:35pm On May 21, 2020
Restructuring what please?

TheGodlessGod:
Restructuring
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by Norahsthought(f): 3:35pm On May 21, 2020
How would you solve the power issue?

In fact, let me paint you a picture. You want to solve the power issue, which is very costly. Nigeria produces less than 4,000MW and only 60% of the 200m people are connected to electricity.

Another challenge is Liquidity crunch where electricity charges to customers do not reflect the cost of generation, transmission, and distribution. Nigerians don't like to pay for things and complain when the price seems high

justlikedat:
Power
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by emae009(m): 3:36pm On May 21, 2020
Power and Education.
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by Sammy07: 3:38pm On May 21, 2020
Allow privatization to boom in Nigeria.

It will encourage more industries.

After making the bill to pass and I've seen changed then, I'll go to power sector.

After power sector will be educational.

I'll make sure, before you become a lecturer, you must have written articles and researches on some negative factors in your profession and how you can change it and improve it

Without citing any body work be it Nigerian writer or Non Nigerian writer

Then I'll make sure the NYSC is compulsory, which will be coupled with mandatory skills of your choice.
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by Nobody: 3:39pm On May 21, 2020
Norahsthought:
Restructuring what please?

The 36 states arrangements is nonsense.

Electricity should be decided by their respective state.

Education should be base on merit.

Etc etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by andrewtosin(m): 3:40pm On May 21, 2020
Power, education and diversification
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by Officialgarri: 3:41pm On May 21, 2020
Any of the sectors that has to do with production.
That includes; oil, mining, agriculture.

Two ministries, I believe, plays major roles under the rubrics. They are ministry of Science and technology and Ministry of labour.

If the ministry of science and technology is running fine, and in collaboration with Ministry of Labor, then the country will be able to make good use of its natural resources.
-we will not be needing to export all our resources and then resold to us at perhaps, a 200%
We build our cars, Televisions, machines necessary for agriculture and other plants e.t.c
- "patriots" will be sent abroad to learn various methods of production and be principals of various vocational schools.
-Science and Technology students will be exposed to the real science. Not these theories that is passed from generation to another
-everyone must have a social number and included in a database. What this is set to achieve is , if someone loses his job, he will be entitled to a stipend pending when he gets engaged
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 3:42pm On May 21, 2020
I will come and loot my share cool grin... Wetin concern me grin
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by mideactive: 4:04pm On May 21, 2020
Education! It's easier to govern educated people.

1 Like

Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by Norahsthought(f): 4:13pm On May 21, 2020
You began with Privatization so I'll take that as your priority. Do you know that electricity generation and distribution is privatized? Do we still have power problems? Yes.

Sammy07:
Allow privatization to boom in Nigeria.

It will encourage more industries.

After making the bill to pass and I've seen changed then, I'll go to power sector.

After power sector will be educational.

I'll make sure, before you become a lecturer, you must have written articles and researches on some negative factors in your profession and how you can change it and improve it

Without citing any body work be it Nigerian writer or Non Nigerian writer

Then I'll make sure the NYSC is compulsory, which will be coupled with mandatory skills of your choice.
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by Norahsthought(f): 4:14pm On May 21, 2020
How would you rearrange the states?

TheGodlessGod:
The 36 states arrangements is nonsense.

Electricity should be decided by their respective state.

Education should be base on merit.

Etc etc
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by Norahsthought(f): 4:16pm On May 21, 2020
We don' really have the expertise to build our cars, televisions, machines. These industries are heavily reliant on power which has not been solved too. So how do we go about this?

Officialgarri:

Two ministries, I believe, plays major roles under the rubrics. They are ministry of Science and technology and Ministry of labour.

If the ministry of science and technology is running fine, and in collaboration with Ministry of Labor, then the country will be able to make good use of its natural resources.
-we will not be needing to export all our resources and then resold to us at perhaps, a 200%
We build our cars, Televisions, machines necessary for agriculture and other plants e.t.c
- "patriots" will be sent abroad to learn various methods of production and be principals of various vocational schools.
-Science and Technology students will be exposed to the real science. Not these theories that is passed from generation to another
-everyone must have a social number and included in a database. What this is set to achieve is , if someone loses his job, he will be entitled to a stipend pending when he gets engaged
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by Norahsthought(f): 4:19pm On May 21, 2020
mideactive:

The quality of teachers is low, the pay is low so our best minds would rather relocate. The ones here will comprise quality for money, bribes (may the deepest pockets pass exams). We need great facilities for better education. How do you solve that?

mideactive:

1 Like

Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by Sammy07: 4:36pm On May 21, 2020
Norahsthought:
You began with Privatization so I'll take that as your priority. Do you know that electricity generation and distribution is privatized? Do we still have power problems? Yes.

Lol, do you know that in Osun state, they enjoy 20 - 23hrs of light?

Every town, villages, and cities
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by FlordFlorez(m): 4:36pm On May 21, 2020
My priority in the first tenue would be education and diversification of the economy. The latter is very important and there are many things involved.
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by nickyvil: 4:43pm On May 21, 2020
Data base and means of identification like ssn, state control and self rule and Dr centralized , so regional should think on how to develop on their own by that Everybody will go back to how we are in the past, producing and manufacturing what they have but federal government will handle the military and civilian force but state too will create state police.
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by 247day: 5:10pm On May 21, 2020
[s]
Officialgarri:

[/s]

1 Like

Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by Abohboy: 5:36pm On May 21, 2020
Norahsthought:
How would you solve the power issue?

In fact, let me paint you a picture. You want to solve the power issue, which is very costly. Nigeria produces less than 4,000MW and only 60% of the 200m people are connected to electricity.

Another challenge is Liquidity crunch where electricity charges to customers do not reflect the cost of generation, transmission, and distribution. Nigerians don't like to pay for things and complain when the price seems high

Nigeria produces 11000MW but has no way to evacuate the power
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by opeyemi2012(m): 5:46pm On May 21, 2020
Power. If you get power right, a lot of things will fall in place.

Meanwhile you can earn N120000 in a month with just N1000

Check my signature
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 5:48pm On May 21, 2020
You guys are just repeating the same thing every politician has been saying.
If it were that easy,even a truck pusher would run the country effectively.
First of all,without money what will you use in your development sad
My first focus will be on Non-oil revenue generation.

2 Likes

Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by BLACKPRIEST: 6:28pm On May 21, 2020
Firstly, the ELECTORAL PROCESS. I'd bring about electoral reforms that'll where emerging a leader will not solely depend on total number of votes accrued by a candidate. Becoming a leader at every tier of government will be determined by an aggregate of factors that will be awarded points. Some of the factors will include:

1. Number of votes (every 100,000 votes will earn 7 points) will contribute only 10% to candidate's overall aggregate. This way, bullion vans will contribute little to a politician's emergence to leadership
2. Age 35 - 65 (the younger, the higher the points) overall contribution 15%
3. Educational qualifications (specific, verifiable certifications will have specific points) overall contribution15%
4. Corruption index 30%
5. Community service 20%
6. Other factors 10%

Experts will seat and craft out measurable parameters and indices that'll be used to evaluate the above factors.

Such an electrol reform will see to it that only the right and most capable individuals scale through to leadership.Idiots keep coming to power because we don't have a thorough electoral system.

I'll make voting electronic.

I will set a fiscal cap on campaign spending, which if exceeded, will be met with stiff penalties.

Secondly, I'll tackle IMMIGRATION. I'll build a national, comprehensive biometric data of all citizens - this is, by the way, very easy to achieve - such that Nigeria will also have a visa system for immigrants.

Thirdy, INDUSTRIALIZATION. After giving soft landings, I'll bring the importation of everything that can be produced in Nigeria to zero and ignore IMF. I cry for my country any time I think of Aba.

Fourthly, the JUDICIARY. Our judicial system is weak. The reason for the many disorganisations in Nigeria is the lack of retributions for offences, especially for the big and mighty in the society. Every offence will be punished accordingly, no matter how small the offence is and no matter how big the offender is. Justice is crucial to national development.

Fifthly, I'll mandate the DIGITISATION OF ALL THE FINANCIAL SYSTEMS AND all ADMINISTRATIVE BUREAUCRACIES IN ALL SECTORS, BOTH PUBLIC AND PRIVATE. This will leave electronic footprints that can be easily audited.

Then, I can focus on building a SYSTEM OF SOCIAL SECURITY: provision of social basic amenities

4 Likes

Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by Officialgarri: 7:03pm On May 21, 2020
Norahsthought:
We don' really have the expertise to build our cars, televisions, machines. These industries are heavily reliant on power which has not been solved too. So how do we go about this?

How's Innosson producing?

How have we been assembling peugeot cars for maybe decades?
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by kgr8mike(m): 7:08pm On May 21, 2020
Power

To solve power problem in Nigeria is also to ban use of generators as that senator suggested.

When everyone is facing same challenge, all hands will be on deck. Take covid-19 for example, when it became a problem for all, those that had the money brought it out; everyone took responsibility.

Question is why is Japan not using the generators that they are selling to us? So they are keeping our country to be like this so we can permanently be their market. That's not fair.

As a country we need to take far reaching decisions. We should say No to Japan and Chinese generators and the importation of such products and make the use of them illegal. Only when this is done can the power sector work. But if we continue to allow alternative, then the it-does-not-concern-me attitude will continue to frustrate the sector.

2 Likes

Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by 247day: 7:27pm On May 21, 2020
[s]
Officialgarri:

How's Innosson producing?

How have we been assembling peugeot cars for maybe decades?
[/s]
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by K0y3: 7:37pm On May 21, 2020
Power and steel. A nation can not successfully embark on massive industrialization, construction and production process without these 2 factors. After which every other things will fall in place.

Norahsthought:
Having been exposed to not so classified but not exactly public information regarding certain aspects of the Nigerian Government, I have found that it is much more complex to solve Nigeria's problems that the masses know.

Usually, I hear people talk about ideas on exactly what the government should focus on and how the government has a approached a matter wrongly. Even though sometimes true, most times, it's completely wrong. Nigerians don't know how tough it is to solve problems in Nigeria and usually we jump into conclusions without a full context of what the problem is. E.g Abacha's looting. Buba Galadima was a member of the Board of Trustees, National Party of Nigeria (NPN) in 1978, and Abacha's boy. He said Abacha followed the advice of other African Presidents by stashing money against impending sanctions by the US. I know this doesn't sound rational but this could highly be the truth, but we prefer the idea of distributing our government.

So here's my question, if you were Nigeria's President, what sector would you focus on first to kickstart development in Nigeria? Please a little explanation about your answer would suffice.

Mynd44
Lalasticala
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by Detour00: 8:03pm On May 21, 2020
Power and human capacity development. With power, emphasis will be on energy mix( solar, wind, gas, hydro etc)
K0y3:
Power and steel. A nation can not successfully embark on massive industrialization, construction and production process without these 2 factors. After which every other things will fall in place.

Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by K0y3: 8:32pm On May 21, 2020
Production of durable and cheap steel is very important for an industrialization drive. A nation can't keep importing steel and expect to build/develop industries, be it manufacturing, processing, storage, construction, housing, movie, fashion, entertainment etc heavy machineries are made out of steel down to the lightest cameras, mobile phones, cooking/ kitchen utensils etc

I totally agree with you on the human capacity development but is this not the reason why we go to school( university, polytechnic etc) or learn a skill( tailoring, welding, carpentry, mechanics, photography, filming etc)? But still no job, and when there is no opportunity, you can not showcase your talent or create a content.

I still insist, fix power ( solar, wind, gas, hydro, in which ever preference or order) and produce your own steel as a nation. Then watch how every other thing will fall into place.

Detour00:
Power and human capacity development. With power, emphasis will be on energy mix( solar, wind, gas, hydro etc)
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by kipstitches93: 9:00pm On May 21, 2020
The first thing I would do is to diversify the economy and focus on non petroleum commodities with emphasis on agriculture and solid minerals utilization like coal which could be used in power generation, gold, bitumen, limestone, copper, Iron ore etc
Re: If You Were President, What Sector Would You Focus On To Kickstart Development? by mideactive: 12:23am On May 22, 2020
Norahsthought:

The quality of teachers is low, the pay is low so our best minds would rather relocate. The ones here will comprise quality for money, bribes (may the deepest pockets pass exams). We need great facilities for better education. How do you solve that?

It's all about focus and creating educational policies, that must be backed by law. Science and technology will get a lots of attention,and it will be pratical based.Technical schools will also get a serious wakeup. I think sincerity of purpose will help fix some systemic failure, stake holders will come on board if they see how sincere and fissible our mission is. And we will see what the advanced nations are doing right, and how we can implement it. The only way to a better and productive nation is quality education.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Hypocrisy Of The South-east, By Fredrick Nwabufo / Igbos Dont Deserve Any Sensitive Position Yet / The Hate On Igbos Keeps Them United

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.