Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,429 members, 7,861,195 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:39 AM

Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" (869 Views)

U.S. Embassy Warns Of Possible 'Terrorism' Attacks In Nigeria - Reuters / DSS WARNS of Planned Boko Haram attacks in Abuja / Obasanjo Warns Of Coup, Isn't That Treasonable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:25pm On Jan 18, 2011
Nigeria’s main militant group warned it would soon begin a "ferocious attack" on the West African nation's downstream oil industry.

Jomo Gbomo, spokesman for the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), said in an emailed statement that people living close to depots storing fuel should evacuate immediately to avoid "loss of lives and properties."

"We cannot guarantee the safety of staff that happens to be in the facility during an attack," he said. "We will also be targeting transport vehicles that convey petroleum products."

MEND is conducting a long-running campaign of sabotage, claiming to be fighting for a more equitable distribution of wealth in the impoverished oil-producing Niger Delta.

The group's activities slashed Nigeria's oil output by around a quarter until an amnesty for militants in late 2009 brought about a lull in attacks.

However, MEND in 2010 began to ramp up its efforts again, claiming over a dozen lives in car-bomb attacks at a parade celebrating Nigeria's independence in October.

Nigeria, Africa's largest oil producer, is due to go to the polls on April 9 to elect a new president, with incumbent Goodluck Jonathan favourite to win.

But a concerted campaign of sabotage could undermine Jonathan, who is from the Niger Delta and was seen as having a chance of ending the conflict when he took over from the late Umaru Yar'Adua mid-2010.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/africa/article858282.ece/Nigerian-rebels-warns-of-ferocious-attack
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by LoveKing(m): 4:26pm On Jan 18, 2011
MEND is stale news. Na Boko Haram dey reign. tongue
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by Rhino5dm: 4:36pm On Jan 18, 2011
what not ?? Atiku signature is evident.

LoveKing:

[s]MEND is stale news. Na Boko Haram dey reign.[/s]
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:39pm On Jan 18, 2011
Boko haram ke? how can you compare bisco to banger?
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by blacksta(m): 4:41pm On Jan 18, 2011
As GEJ will say

it is not possible cause mend is now in Abuja sipping tea and biscuit

So na atiku and Ciroma dey behind this.
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by Abagworo(m): 5:09pm On Jan 18, 2011
If this threat is fulfilled, then Nigerians will suffer for the sins of PDP.We need to get to the root of this MEND issue and address it once and for all.I still do not understand why Asari,Tompolo and others are walking free while Henry Okah and his brother are in jail.That is no justice.Let GEJ just give amnesty to everybody or try every militant.That is the only way to end this reign of terror in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by texazzpete(m): 5:25pm On Jan 18, 2011
Abagworo:

If this threat is fulfilled, then Nigerians will suffer for the sins of PDP.We need to get to the root of this MEND issue and address it once and for all.I still do not understand why Asari,Tompolo and others are walking free while Henry Okah and his brother are in jail.That is no justice.Let GEJ just give amnesty to everybody or try every militant.That is the only way to end this reign of terror in Nigeria.

Why do you reason like a child? The amnesty offer was extended to everyone. Anyone who did not take it then or those who continue their criminal ways must be treated as criminals.
Must we coddle all these crooks forever?

The money these guys make from oil bunkering is far more than they can get from the Amnesty program. Ergo, they run back to the creeks to continue their oil stealing and gun-running.
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by wesley80(m): 5:28pm On Jan 18, 2011
^^
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by wesley80(m): 5:29pm On Jan 18, 2011
Abagworo:

I still do not understand why Asari,Tompolo and others are walking free while Henry Okah and his brother are in jail.

Because the former duo accepted amnesty and embraced peace while d latter accepted and chose to bomb Abuja on independence day killing 18 people. Olodo U done undastand now?
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by banom(m): 5:30pm On Jan 18, 2011
This Aboki GBOMO JOMO, I think is time Atiku, IBB and Ciroma finds themselves in Jail.
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by Abagworo(m): 5:33pm On Jan 18, 2011
wesley80:

Because the former duo accepted amnesty and embraced peace while d latter accepted and chose to bomb Abuja on independence day killing 18 people. Olodo U done undastand now?

If you reason this way then you want Nigeria to collapse.Amnesty must not be partial.There should be negotiation with all parties and not select some people to negotiate with.It will never work.I pity the souls that will soon be wasted on an avoidable issue.
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by Nsiman(m): 6:09pm On Jan 18, 2011
We are waiting 4 atiku to cause his chaos purporting to be mend
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by Beaf: 6:19pm On Jan 18, 2011
Some people lose primaries, refuse to congratulate the winner and a brand new Jomo Gbomo rises. Interesting.
It is quite clear that this is a group of desperate terrorists, who see nothing wrong with killing tanker drivers. May the govt flush em and their master out of the system with red hot bullets.
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by LoveKing(m): 6:36pm On Jan 18, 2011
Beaf:

Some people lose primaries, refuse to congratulate the winner and a brand new Jomo Gbomo rises. Interesting.
It is quite clear that this is a group of desperate terrorists, who see nothing wrong with killing tanker drivers. May the govt flush em and their master out of the system with red hot bullets.

You have classified information, abeg tell us.
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by Chrisbenogor(m): 6:40pm On Jan 18, 2011
Beaf:

Beaf Sir,
With all due respect they warned about the warri bombings, the abuja bombings and now this one. Your principal should take it seriously, I always knew the amnesty was a flawed plan. It is a band aid for a problem that needed surgery, I wonder if it was even legal When the whole dokepsi saga was on I know how you jumped up and down thinking the North was responsible when will it dawn on you guys to stop blaming atiku and ibb for the woes of GEJ?
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by Beaf: 6:50pm On Jan 18, 2011
Chrisbenogor:

Beaf Sir,
With all due respect they warned about the warri bombings, the abuja bombings and now this one. Your principal should take it seriously, I always knew the amnesty was a flawed plan. It is a band aid for a problem that needed surgery, I wonder if it was even legal When the whole dokepsi saga was on I know how you jumped up and down thinking the North was responsible when will it dawn on you guys to stop blaming atiku and ibb for the woes of GEJ?

With due respect, who are these "they?"
Do you think you cannot personally sign up to a free email service and send emails as jomo gbomo? We Nigerians tend not to read much, otherwise it would be very common knowledge that after the arrest of Charles Okah, all emails purporting to be from Jomo Gbomo came from a BRAND NEW EMAIL ADDRESS.

. . .
Now a new email address purports to offer journalists MEND statements, these poorly worded and with a different format — suggesting a new person has adopted Jomo Gbomo's identity.

"It would have to be one of their former lieutenants who knew how to take advantage of these communications to pick up where those guys left off," said Mark Schroeder, the director of sub-Saharan Africa analysis for the U.S. security think-tank STRATFOR.

Or it could be someone taking advantage of the power behind the group's name. Recent messages came from an email account previously not associated with MEND and did not offer any details about the attack Monday, such as how many people were taken hostage.

"All the abducted expatriates are well and in our safe custody," an email sent early Tuesday morning read. . .

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=12097659&page=2
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by Abagworo(m): 6:51pm On Jan 18, 2011
I doubt if a northerner has the capability of blowing pipelines in Niger Delta.It is more understandable if "beaf" claims northern sponsor or inspired rather than direct accusation.

@beaf.Why is it so difficult for your Oga to manage what Abagworo can easily solve permanently?Tell him to consult me for some wisdom.
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by Beaf: 6:56pm On Jan 18, 2011
Abagworo:

I doubt if a northerner has the capability of blowing pipelines in Niger Delta.It is more understandable if "beaf" claims northern sponsor or inspired rather than direct accusation.

@beaf.Why is it so difficult for your Oga to manage what Abagworo can easily solve permanently?Tell him to consult me for some wisdom.

I think govts only reason to consult you might be to lock you up. You are the one always promising deadly new militant groups.
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by Orikinla(m): 7:09pm On Jan 18, 2011
$20 MILLION DAILY IS THE REASON THE NIGER DELTA CRISIS WILL NEVER END UNTIL ILLEGAL OIL BUNKERING ENDS.

Nigerian Times: Niger Delta Crisis: Amnesty or Travesty?
11 Jul 2009 ,  The solution to the Niger Delta crisis is not a Herculean task if the ,  in illegal oil bunkering that fetches over $20 million daily. ,
nigeriantimes..com/, /niger-delta-crisis-amnesty-or-travesty.html

V. Illegal Oil Bunkering - Home | Human Rights Watch
The stolen crude can currently be sold at around U.S.$15 to $20 per barrel on the ,  the oil companies-the cleared profit is therefore around U.S.$2-3 million daily (750 ,  Illegal oil bunkering-long prevalent in the delta-has become a ,  [73] "Bunkerers are behind the Niger Delta Crises, says Police Affairs ,
www.hrw.org/fr/node/12203/section/6

Between amnesty and amnesia
By Wole Soyinka
Friday, June 26, 2009
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2009/june/26/national-26-06-2009-06a.htm
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by Rhino5dm: 9:24pm On Jan 18, 2011
even though i hate PDP and its criminals, i think is would very unfortunate if innocent lives will be allowed to be wasted.

BTW where are the bloody FBI and the fukking MOSSAD undecided undecided yet those bit.ches and the lame drunken government have slept over the Abuja bomb blast at the expense of the oil tax payer's money angry.

we will never accpet "na we do am" or "lets meet in Buhari's campaign organisation" from the government or else there will be a chain reaction.

Ben Ali of tunisia and hosni mubarak of egypt can both testify to that lipsrsealed.
Re: Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack" by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:58pm On Jan 18, 2011
With due respect, who are these "they?"
Do you think you cannot personally sign up to a free email service and send emails as jomo gbomo? We Nigerians tend not to read much, otherwise it would be very common knowledge that after the arrest of Charles Okah, all emails purporting to be from Jomo Gbomo came from a BRAND NEW EMAIL ADDRESS.
Are you sure this last one came from a new email address? The news report did not say so.

(1) (Reply)

Senate Rejects Jonathan's 1.2 Billion Proposal For Upkeep / Tinubu Closes Critical TV Programme - Scared of the Truth / Nigerian First Lady speaks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.