Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,797 members, 7,810,075 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:07 PM

Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo (8164 Views)

How To Make Owo Soup / Help: Teach Me How To Prepare Fisherman Soup And Save My Relationship / Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo by playette4u: 2:46am On Jan 19, 2011
I need your help kind forumites.I have some visitors in a couple of weeks and need your help so i can impress them with my 'culinary' skills.Thanking you in advance.xx
Re: Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo by MissyB3(f): 2:15pm On Jan 19, 2011
There's nothing like Owo with Yam . I like!  kiss

Ingrdients:
Ikau [Potash]
Fresh fish
Gizzard
Meat [I use goat meat]
Red oil
Maggi cubes
Cray fish
Tomato pulp
Pepper [Dried]
salt

Procedure
Boil your meat, gizzard and add maggi cubes. When the meat is almost ready, cut off the pectoral fins on both sides of your fish, scale it, wash it, slice it and put into the pot of meat [make sure that there's a little quantity of water remaining]. After 5 minutes, add your tomato pulp, ground pepper [ preferably dried pepper not fresh], ground cray fish and salt to taste.
Meanwhile, put a little quantity of water in a small pot, add your potash and then heat/boil. Turn off the heat after 2-3 minutes. [I used to put the potash directly into my soup but the first day I tried the boiling method, I saw a lot of rubbish settle at the bottom of the pot and I decided never to use w/0 boiling first. You can smash the potash and put directly in the soup but, for 'hygiene' purpose, I'd advice you boil it].

10-15 minutes later, your soup should be thicker . Drain the potash water from the pot into your soup, stir and turn off heat. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes and then gradually pour red oil [ I put a lot. Depending on the quantity of your soup, though] into the pot of soup and continuously stir until it is thick in conistency and golden yellow in colour.
[ If you aren't going to finish the soup in a day, it's advisable not to mix all. Just put the portion you need in a plate and mix only that. Put the remaining soup [not mixed] in the fridge or freezer and heat when next you want to use it, before mixing].
Serve with boiled yam or plantain. kiss kiss kiss kiss
Enjoy!

You can use whatever meat you want. Location is the reason I only use the
above - mentioned. For example, someone in Naija would add smoked fish [ very nice for owo  kiss], smoked prawns etc.

This is the way the Binis prepare it. I think the Uhrobos have a different method whereby they add starch  shocked
Re: Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo by ifyalways(f): 3:30pm On Jan 19, 2011
Missy ★ B:

There's nothing like Owo with Yam . I like!  kiss

Ingrdients:
Ikau [Potash]
Fresh fish
Gizzard
Meat [I use goat meat]
Red oil
Maggi cubes
Cray fish
Tomatoes pulp
Pepper [Dried]
salt

Procedure
Boil your meat, gizzard and add maggi cubes. When the meat is almost ready, cut off the pectoral fins on both sides of your fish, scale it, wash it, slice it and put into the pot of meat [make sure that there's a little quantity of water remaining]. After 5 minutes, add your tomato pulp, ground pepper [ preferably dried pepper not fresh], ground cray fish and salt to taste.
Meanwhile, put a little quantity of water in a small pot, add your potash and then heat/boil. Turn off the heat after 2-3 minutes. [I used to put the potash directly into my soup but the first day I tried the boiling method, I saw a lot of rubbish settle at the bottom of the pot and I decided never to use w/0 boiling first. You can smash the potash and put directly in the soup but, for 'hygiene' purpose, I'd advice you boil it].

10-15 minutes later, your soup should be thicker . Drain the potash water from the pot into your soup, stir and turn off heat. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes and then gradually pour red oil [ I put a lot. Depending on the quantity of your soup, though] into the pot of soup and continuously stir until it is thick in conistency and golden yellow in colour.
[ If you aren't going to finish the soup in a day, it's advisable not to mix all. Just put the portion you need in a plate and mix only that. Put the remaining soup [not mixed] in the fridge or freezer and heat when next you want to use it, before mixing].
Serve with boiled yam or plantain. kiss kiss kiss kiss
Enjoy!

You can use whatever meat you want. Location is the reason I only use the
above - mentioned. For example, someone in Naija would add smoked fish [ very nice for owo  kiss], smoked prawns etc.

This is the way the Binis prepare it. I think the Uhrobos have a different method whereby they add starch  shocked
Owo without garri?
Did not know they add Tomatoes too to Owo soup.
My urhobo friends do use garri undecided
Re: Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo by MissyB3(f): 5:27pm On Jan 19, 2011
Yes o, Ify. The Binis [at least, majority] do not add garri, starch etc and the owo still comes out thick and very nice.  kiss kiss kiss Years back in the hostel, my Urhobo friends told me how they make owo and I was  shocked shocked
Different methods sha.
Re: Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo by ifyalways(f): 5:32pm On Jan 19, 2011
^aiight dear.
Me i call it lazy man soup though its very delish.Rustle up some oil,garri,fish and kaun and u are good to go kiss
Re: Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo by playette4u: 6:08pm On Jan 19, 2011
cheesy wink Thank you so much for the recipe .I am getting all the ingredients tomorrow.Will let you know how it goes.xx
Re: Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo by ifyalways(f): 6:18pm On Jan 19, 2011
Okiez.
I wud give u the okhodo(sp) recipe after u must have tried owo soup. wink
Re: Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo by hbabe(f): 12:57pm On Jan 20, 2011
The Urhobos don't add tomatoes to their owo, we use starch or garri or mashed yam as thickener. Some also add salt when the soup is ready and burner turned off as salt is said to make the soup lose its thick consistency.
Re: Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo by ifyalways(f): 4:45pm On Jan 20, 2011
^^Missy's version is Bini.I haven't taken Owo with tomatoes and i don't think im eager to try that.
@Playette,how far?
Re: Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo by MrsSiena1(f): 9:19pm On Jan 22, 2011
We urhobos don't add tomatoes to our 'owo' we just add either starch or garri, I prefer starch. I wonder how the one with tomatoes will taste like. Different strokes for different folks.
Re: Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo by MissyB3(f): 1:17am On Jan 23, 2011
In that case, I think it's about time I made owo the bini style and allow you ladies have a taste. grin
You know not what you're missing.  grin grin
Re: Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo by tjskii(f): 6:53pm On Nov 11, 2013
My hubby is an edo man and I make owosoup d way Missy described,I gotta tell u,it tastes awesome cheesy
Re: Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo by adino(m): 4:59pm On Dec 09, 2013
Owo with starch or garri, I run away.Wonder how it will taste sha. Benin Owo rules.
Re: Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo by EfemenaXY: 11:28pm On Dec 10, 2013
Mrs. Siena:
We urhobos don't add tomatoes to our 'owo' we just add either starch or garri, I prefer starch. I wonder how the one with tomatoes will taste like. Different strokes for different folks.

Isokos don't add tomatoes either.

But we do add starch and garri...hmm delicious! tongue tongue tongue

But fattening.. embarassed undecided cheesy cheesy

(1) (Reply)

A New Name For Moi Moi Please: / How To Prepare Afang Soup! / DIY Cake Boxes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.