Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,948 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) (1905 Views)

My Tour Of Buruku, A Portion Of River Benue / Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 / How People Traveled To Onitsha Before The Construction Of The Niger Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) by Salliet(m): 5:14pm On May 31, 2020
So, prior to the construction of the famous Onitsha Bridge in 1966, how were people traveling to the East?

Well, in the early 1960s, travels across the river Niger to the eastern part of Nigeria was achieved with the means of river ferries of various sizes.

Below are photographs showing travelers at the jetties and landing points at Asaba end of the river in 1961.

Pix 1 - Asaba Ferry Landing (March 1961) Photo Credit: amightytree.org

Pix 2 - A private enterprise river ferry stopped at the main Asaba passenger-landing dock in 1966. Photo Credit: Laurens Dawes.

Pix 3 - The Asaba riverbank and ferry in 1960. Photo Credit: Asabamemorial.

Pix 4 - A view taken just off the Niger River banks looking backward along the eastern front of 1960s Asaba, photographed from aboard a Ferry headed southeastward toward Onitsha.. Credit: Almightytree.org

Source - https://autojosh.com/see-how-people-traveled-to-onitsha-before-the-construction-of-the-niger-bridge/

Cc; justwise, DisGuy)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) by Salliet(m): 5:14pm On May 31, 2020
Pix - Asaba-Onitsha- Ferry Crossing (1959)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) by awesomely: 5:14pm On May 31, 2020
In the good old days.

1 Like

Re: Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) by TheGiftedOne(m): 5:15pm On May 31, 2020
Photo credit amightytree.org
Wonderful! I've seen many things on NL
Re: Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) by Vulcanheph(m): 5:28pm On May 31, 2020
For those of us who have read "chike and the river" will understand this thread very well......please indomie kids stand one side.

7 Likes

Re: Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) by Kylekent59: 5:33pm On May 31, 2020
These vehicle were the best then. See how time flies.

Dem Bentley and Bugatti sef go join them.

1 Like

Re: Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) by Mcreloaded(m): 5:36pm On May 31, 2020
Please can some one explain to me how these pictures are coloured because in 1959 all my pics came out black and white.

Then my parents were seriously well to do so I know that the pics in my house would have been coloured if there was coloured picture then.
Re: Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) by RiyaGoddess(f): 5:41pm On May 31, 2020
Waoooh beautiful scene.
Reminds me of my favorite childhood book -Chike and the river

3 Likes

Re: Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) by Niyeal(m): 5:55pm On May 31, 2020
Vulcanheph:
For those of us who have read "chike and the river" will understand this thread very well......please indomie kids stand one side.
I read book CHIKE AND THE RIVER, CHINUA ACHEBE
Re: Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) by Salliet(m): 6:59pm On May 31, 2020
Mcreloaded:
Please can some one explain to me how these pictures are coloured because in 1959 all my pics came out black and white.

Then my parents were seriously well to do so I know that the pics in my house would have been coloured if there was coloured picture then.

here...

1 Like

Re: Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) by Mohbola(f): 12:10am On Jun 01, 2020
Wow
Re: Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) by johnpablo541(m): 1:02pm On Jun 01, 2020
Niyeal:

I read book CHIKE AND THE RIVER, CHINUA ACHEBE

Read the book a few days ago. Here is a quote from it

A few days later Chike’s friends were again talking about the river. They spoke about
Asaba on the other side.
“Do you know,” said Samuel to Chike, “that as soon as you step out of the ferry in
Asaba you are in Midwestern Nigeria?”
The others agreed excitedly. They all had been to the Midwest. “And do you know,”
said another boy whose name was Ezekiel, “that once you are in Asaba it is one way to
Lagos?”
“Yes,” said Samuel. “Lagos. Second-to-London. I have not been to Lagos. But I know
Asaba which is poor-man’s Lagos.”
His companions laughed. Samuel sometimes talked like a grown man; this was one of
the reasons why he was so popular with his companions.
Chike’s mind was far away—in Midwestern Nigeria. He liked such flowing phrases.
Midwestern Nigeria, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, The Isle of Man.

4 Likes

Re: Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) by Ebenezer2O2O(m): 3:20pm On Jun 01, 2020
Vulcanheph:
link pls make I read
Re: Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) by Niyeal(m): 5:40pm On Jun 01, 2020
Thumbs up
johnpablo541:

Read the book a few days ago. Here is a quote from it

A few days later Chike’s friends were again talking about the river. They spoke about
Asaba on the other side.
“Do you know,” said Samuel to Chike, “that as soon as you step out of the ferry in
Asaba you are in Midwestern Nigeria?”
The others agreed excitedly. They all had been to the Midwest. “And do you know,”
said another boy whose name was Ezekiel, “that once you are in Asaba it is one way to
Lagos?”
“Yes,” said Samuel. “Lagos. Second-to-London. I have not been to Lagos. But I know
Asaba which is poor-man’s Lagos.”
His companions laughed. Samuel sometimes talked like a grown man; this was one of
the reasons why he was so popular with his companions.
Chike’s mind was far away—in Midwestern Nigeria. He liked such flowing phrases.
Midwestern Nigeria, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, The Isle of Man.

1 Like

Re: Before The Construction Of River Niger Bridge, How People Crossed (1960's pics) by GorillaApp(m): 10:03am On Dec 26, 2021
Salliet:
Pix - Asaba-Onitsha- Ferry Crossing (1959)

I have tried to reach you privately to no avail. I also saw that you PM me but I am not sure I have access to that mail.

Please this is my mail. nnamdinwosu2@gmail.com
You can also send me yours if it is more convenient for you.
I reached you in regards of inability to upload documents on the Swedish admission portal

(1) (Reply)

Passport Application In Immigration Office At Minna / England/london Fever / My Very Embarrassing Moment. Whats Yours?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.