Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Avbe Ovbiedo, How Much Is The Traditional Bini Bride-price? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Avbe Ovbiedo, How Much Is The Traditional Bini Bride-price? (3398 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Ooni, Enitan Ogunwusi, Returns From The Forest With The Traditional Crown / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Avbe Ovbiedo, How Much Is The Traditional Bini Bride-price? by Atreides(f): 2:14pm On Jan 21, 2011
So i was joking with someone and the subject came up and so i wondered,Does anyone know the exact Bini bride-price? I asked my dad and he said it's 12 pounds,5 shillings,but i know someone who paid a brideprice of 25 naira. So i was just curious,all Bini people here,do y'all know the exact Bini brideprice? Or is it that it varies from family to family?
Re: Avbe Ovbiedo, How Much Is The Traditional Bini Bride-price? by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:19pm On Jan 21, 2011
The Benin bride price is 1 kobo or some other extremely small amount. It's just tradition.

The purpose of this is to say that the daughter is priceless and no real monetary value can be put on her and to mock the idea of "selling" one's daughters.

This is has been my experience from numerous weddings (a relative of mine just got married, in fact). When and where did this person pay a whole 25 naira? 25 naira is so little though that it probably also gets the point across.
Re: Avbe Ovbiedo, How Much Is The Traditional Bini Bride-price? by Atreides(f): 5:22pm On Jan 21, 2011
I'm Bini,and the wedding was in Benin,about 3 years ago so it's fairly recent. I know the amount is ridiculously small-i just wanna get the exact one.
Re: Avbe Ovbiedo, How Much Is The Traditional Bini Bride-price? by skyangel(f): 5:54pm On Jan 21, 2011
In benin, the bride is considered priceless and most families don't take a kobo from the groom, they only ask him to take good care of their daughter but they collect other traditional stuff as certain tubers of yam, cola nut,palm wine,& some others
Re: Avbe Ovbiedo, How Much Is The Traditional Bini Bride-price? by amazonia(m): 4:16pm On Feb 03, 2011
^^^^ That is right .

(1) (Reply)

Knocking Of Door For Traditional Marriage / Ja Ja King Of The Opobo ( 1821-1891 ) / /cum/ - Canada - USA - Mexico

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.