Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,078 members, 7,835,639 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country (1506 Views)

Appointments That Shows Buhari's Administration Is Wasteful - Naij / Nnamdi Kanu The Biggest Asset Of Ndigbo. / Fela The Singer Was Prophectic About Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by OYINBOGOJU(m): 12:22am On Jan 24, 2011
Tunde Fagbenle

TWO weeks ago, I finally had the opportunity of watching the fantastic and much talked about musical, FELA, at the Royal National Theatre, London, where it began in April 2009.

Running at the 1,160-seat Olivier Theatre (one of the three within the RNT, the other lesser two being the Lyttelton Theatre and the Cottesloe Theatre), the musical is a brilliant and captivating attempt to capture and appreciate the essences of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti: his musical genius, his rebelliousness, and his political and social radicalism.

It did more; it was a double - as much a celebration of Fela the son as it was a glorification, nay, deification of Funmilayo, his mother.

The latter was deliberately embarked upon with such elaborate, even extravagant, romanticism probably for Fela's sake in heaven. For, truly, Fela adored his mother; a mother who dropped everything to be with and support Fela regardless of her son's deviant tendencies; a mother Fela sang in praise of as "Mother of Africa, Political Mama, Ideological Mama," etc.

FELA at the Royal National Theatre opened in the typical fashion of the Shrine in the heyday of Fela's superabundance. The band is on stage, the drums are rolling, the sax blasting, the trumpet blaring, the keyboard chattering, the guitars strumming, everything in unison yet at liberty, the exotic dancers gyrating tantalisingly from within symmetrically positioned cubicles. The energy is building, the audience of many colours is filing, the air begins to admit other fragrances. There is order in the seeming chaos. Yet, he for whom all this is about, Fela, is yet to appear. It is already past midnight.

Then the beat reaches a crescendo, some hoopla around, and from some corner emerges a coterie ushering in The Man. Fela is here! Clad in his trademark tight-fitting designer attire, clenched fists raised high above his head, a burning cigarette (or whatever) sticking out of one of the fists, the idol of the moment breaks into a smile as his bulging eyes scan the stage and pan the audience. "Everybody say ye-ye!" He prods. "Ye-ye!" replies the ecstatic crowd. He repeats the call, the audience responds. The world, Fela's world, is about to begin. There is nothing like it.

FELA! The Musical, which began performances Off Broadway (New York) in September 2008, is yet another recognition by the world of who Fela Anikulapo-Kuti was, what he embodies, even in death, and what he gave the world - a music style that is unique and authentically his own - the Afrobeat, which at the last count in 2010 has a following of over 50 bands all over the Diaspora. Was it not but in 1999 that the international magazine, TIME, proclaimed Fela as one of the world's "100 Most Important People of the Century"?

My eyes welled with tears. Does this FELA not come from a country? What kind of country is that? Woe betides the country that does not honour his own prophet! Nigeria, perpetually ruled by small-minded men, is so blinded by ethnicity, dulled by greed and riddled with graft, she cannot even know how to harness her own treasures. Profligate and clueless, the country wallows in filth and darkness, wasting every opportunity to rise to greatness, wasting every talent, every asset nature has so disproportionately blessed her with.

I am laughing at Nigeria because I must not cry. Bob Marley, who could not hold a candle to Fela in musical ingenuity and force, is Jamaica's national asset. He is "worshipped" in Jamaica and he remains perhaps the country's foremost tourist product. I ask, where is Fela's statue anywhere? Where is his music blaring at our international airports to welcome visitors to Fela's Nigeria the way Bob Marley's welcomes visitors to Jamaica? Where is government's passion in turning Fela's memorial celebration, Felabration, into an international tourist event, a global carnival?

No, a Fela would not be singled out to be upheld by the country and blazoned out as her prime touristic product simply because, to do that would be to uphold somebody from one ethnic group to the "neglect" of the others! And so, to make Fela a national symbol of international pride, those at the helm of our affairs have to quickly find some Yaro and some Emeka to balance it; otherwise, the proposal dies! After all, to them, what's the difference between Fela's music and some crooning praise-singer from Sokoto, Awka or Ekiti?

Then there are those hypocrites in power who would play holy and on account of what may be seen as Fela's "immorality" and deviancy gladly throw the baby away with the bathwater, cutting our nose to spite our face, forgetting that spite does not stop honey from being sweet!

Going through the colour brochure on sale at the RNT, my mind was blown by some of the tributes paid Fela by some of the world's greatest names in the business: Paul McCartney said he found himself in Lagos in August 1972 and he had the chance to check out Fela's band, which he said was "the best band I've ever seen live." And he added, "When Fela and his band eventually began to play, after a long, crazy build-up, I just couldn't stop weeping with joy. It was a very moving experience."

When James Brown toured Nigeria in 1970, bassist William 'Bootsy' Collins recalls, Fela's band "are the funkiest cats we ever heard in our life. I mean, this is the James Brown band, but we were totally wiped out! That was one trip I wouldn't trade for anything in the world."

Gilberto Gil, now the Minister of Culture in Brazil, says that meeting Fela in Lagos changed his life: "I felt like I was a tree replanted and able to flourish."

And of the show itself, some of the reviews in the British press:

"I've never seen a show quite like it at the National. It's a great story and one told with enormous verve in Bill T Jones's kaleidoscopic production" - The Guardian.

"It feels like a bold new direction for musical theatre." - Evening Standard.

"Fantastic. A fitting tribute to a man who made heads spin the world over" - Metro.

"A frenetic mix of concert, dance party and crash course in the career of the eponymous maverick." - The Independent.

I went for the Matinee at the invitation of Dele Sosinmi, a multi-instrumentalist protégé of Fela, and a brilliant and energetic Afro-Beat maestro himself. Dele is an inevitable part of the UK cast, acknowledged in the Programme as "Keyboards/Music Associate".

Of course, it is easy to be a hasher critic of the production from the eyes of someone who is Nigerian, speaks the language, and experienced 'the real thing' when he lived. But it must be remembered that the performance is art, an imitation or fictionalising of realism, and a theatre show by foreigners not obliged to keep faithfully to actuality, neither obliged to use living members of Fela's large group. To do that may not be to "act", and this is all about "acting"!

Fela gave to Nigeria and the world the legacy of a new musical form that now has a global following. The world is doing its best to give back to Fela. What has Nigeria given back?

(PS: I understand FELA, The Musical is touring Nigeria in a couple of months. I'll be there)
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by OYINBOGOJU(m): 12:26am On Jan 24, 2011
I have seen, heard and touch every blessed things that we have in Nigeria but i have never seen,heard and touch in any way how we make good use of them.

All the rulers in power have LongSightedness.

This disease is spreading faster than HIV.
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by Kilode1: 12:54am On Jan 24, 2011
It is hard for a culture obsessed with every foreign idea and silly foreign ideologies to appreciate its own. It's possible, but very difficult.
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by Jen33(m): 2:12am On Jan 24, 2011
Nigerians appreciate and love Fela.

I'm at the Shrine every now and again, and this is a place where cannabis is smoked openly - a nation unto itself.

Kalakuta Republic.

No policeman nears the place. No army nears the place. No navy. No airforce.

In a country where cannabis is by law, illegal.

They all know what goes on at the Shrine. Everyone knows, including the Inspector General of Police. Including President Goodluck Jonathan.

But nobody will ever give the order to raid the Shrine.

To desecrate the Shrine.

What greater tribute to Fela can there be than that?

What if you had a huge statue of Fela in the center of Lagos, and welcomed visitors to the country with his Afrobeat at the airports, yet Shrine was destroyed, turned to just any other club with the usual pompous, effeminate restrictions?

Of what use would that be to Fela's memory?

Is that not what happens in Jamaica?

I've been to Jamaica. Bob Marley's residence as well. It's a national tourist attraction. But the rebellious soul has been ripped out of the place.

The smell of resistance, the smell of ganja, of rastamen blowing hot and cold against Babylon in Marley's large, tumultous compound, has given way to manicured lawns, pretty-faced tour guides, glossy leaflets, and shiny souvenirs.

I prefer the real honour we give Fela. Allowing his Shrine to live, and making him truly OVER AND ABOVE THE LAW, as he is worthy to be.

If I might add, there's nowhere on earth that I feel as free as I do within the Shrine.

Fela's spirit is well and truly alive in that place.
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by ShangoThor(m): 3:01am On Jan 24, 2011
OYINBOGOJU:

I am laughing at Nigeria because I must not cry. Bob Marley, who could not hold a candle to Fela in musical ingenuity and force, is Jamaica's national asset. He is "worshipped" in Jamaica and he remains perhaps the country's foremost tourist product. I ask, where is Fela's statue anywhere? Where is his music blaring at our international airports to welcome visitors to Fela's Nigeria the way Bob Marley's welcomes visitors to Jamaica? Where is government's passion in turning Fela's memorial celebration, Felabration, into an international tourist event, a global carnival?

@ bold

What a ridiculous comment to make, even though I acknowledge you're right to make it. Completely subjective, and they were both critics in different contexts. I have also been to the Marley house in Kingston, and it is what it is, you can interact with his kids, or even play football with them if you wish, but what else were you expecting, BM is dead. I object that you had to make the bolded part of your conversation sound like a competition when the fact is that both Fela and BM were outstanding poets, prolific writers and champions of Black consciousness,
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by Kilode1: 4:08am On Jan 24, 2011
@jen33 you are right, but you and I know Kalakuta Republic is not Nigeria  cheesy

That's a different country a different culture. .
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by OYINBOGOJU(m): 5:29am On Jan 24, 2011
Everybody has a different perspective to this side of the story, but come to think of these

Yes we do have a SHRINE
Yes Police can never knowingly or unknowingly raid the place
Yes many things goes on and on on on on

But Don`t you think it is much more better to have ANOTHER place that will be recognized by Government  Parastatals,  another haven where everyone can go without people thinking you went to smoke igbo.

A place where smoker and non-smoker shall be welcomed.

A place where activist like Pastor Tunde bakare of Latter Rain Church can visit without any mis-conception.

When Fela was alive, he fought for the poor and rich,he fought for the interest of the masses and not for smokers only.

In respect of these we should have a place that is meant for the Masses without any negativity attached to it.

N.B. Shrine should remain forever because that where i spend Thursdays and Sundays, 
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by Kilode1: 6:52am On Jan 24, 2011
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by Jen33(m): 10:13am On Jan 24, 2011
OYINGBOJU said:

Everybody has a different perspective to this side of the story, but come to think of these

Yes we do have a SHRINE
Yes Police can never knowingly or unknowingly raid the place
Yes many things goes on and on on on on

But Don`t you think it is much more better to have ANOTHER place that will be recognized by Government  Parastatals,  another haven where everyone can go without people thinking you went to smoke igbo.

A place where smoker and non-smoker shall be welcomed.

A place where activist like Pastor Tunde bakare of Latter Rain Church can visit without any mis-conception.

When Fela was alive, he fought for the poor and rich, he fought for the interest of the masses and not for smokers only.

In respect of these we should have a place that is meant for the Masses without any negativity attached to it.

N.B. Shrine should remain forever because that where i spend Thursdays and Sundays.

I disagree. Nobody forces anyone to smoke Igbo at Shrine. In fact many people who go there everyday do not smoke at all. They're just there to unite with the fellow afficionados.

Also, you care too much about ''what people will think''.

The likes of Pastor Tunde Bakare, whom you mentioned, WILL NOT have a separate place built for them where there will be restrictions that go against the grain of the freedom Fela was all about. If THEY want to appreciate Fela, or honour Fela, then THEY better get themselves down to the Shrine, or THEY can remain in their church and mosque singing praises to their imported gods.

Archbishop dey enjoy, Pope himself dey enjoy, Imam himself dey enjoy, My brotha wetin you say!!!!
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by Nobody: 11:39am On Jan 24, 2011
Jen33:

Nigerians appreciate and love Fela.

I'm at the Shrine every now and again, and this is a place where cannabis is smoked openly - a nation unto itself.

Kalakuta Republic.

No policeman nears the place. No army nears the place. No navy. No airforce.

In a country where cannabis is by law, illegal.

They all know what goes on at the Shrine. Everyone knows, including the Inspector General of Police. Including President Goodluck Jonathan.

But nobody will ever give the order to raid the Shrine.

To desecrate the Shrine.

What greater tribute to Fela can there be than that?

What if you had a huge statue of Fela in the center of Lagos, and welcomed visitors to the country with his Afrobeat at the airports, yet Shrine was destroyed, turned to just any other club with the usual pompous, effeminate restrictions?

Of what use would that be to Fela's memory?

Is that not what happens in Jamaica?

I've been to Jamaica. Bob Marley's residence as well. It's a national tourist attraction. But the rebellious soul has been ripped out of the place.

The smell of resistance, the smell of ganja, of rastamen blowing hot and cold against Babylon in Marley's large, tumultous compound, has given way to manicured lawns, pretty-faced tour guides, glossy leaflets, and shiny souvenirs.

I prefer the real honour we give Fela. Allowing his Shrine to live, and making him truly OVER AND ABOVE THE LAW, as he is worthy to be.

If I might add, there's nowhere on earth that I feel as free as I do within the Shrine.

Fela's spirit is well and truly alive in that place.

Well articulated points up there in boldface. I always wondered why the shrine is a 'nation unto itself' like you stated earlier, you just gave me the answer today. Nice cool

But mind you the New Afrika Shrine was busted twice by police in late 2008.
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by OYINBOGOJU(m): 6:23pm On Jan 24, 2011
ziddy:

Well articulated points up there in boldface. I always wondered why the shrine is a 'nation unto itself' like you stated earlier, you just gave me the answer today. Nice cool

But mind you the New Afrika Shrine was busted [b]twice by police in late 2008.
[/b]

All the bad bad things, dem they do do do
dem went african shrine,dem raid the hustlers,
part of politicking,
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by cap28: 6:58pm On Jan 24, 2011
I went to see Fela! the musical at the royal national theatre in london over the xmas and it was fantastic.

Fela was so unique and he was light years ahead of all of us.

I think towards the end of his life he became very depressed about our unwillingness to change our situation there's one of his tracks that i ve been looking for and i cant find it anywhere - its called Big Blind Country - the lyrics describe nigeria in a nutshell - "in the country of the blind - the one eyed man is king" that has been nigeria for the past 50 years.

Fela was the best thing that ever came out of Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by OYINBOGOJU(m): 8:17pm On Jan 24, 2011
cap28:

I went to see Fela! the musical at the royal national theatre in london over the xmas and it was fantastic.

Fela was so unique and he was light years ahead of all of us.

I think towards the end of his life he became very depressed about our unwillingness to change our situation there's one of his tracks that i ve been looking for and i cant find it anywhere - its called Big Blind Country - the lyrics describe nigeria in a nutshell - "in the country of the blind - the one eyed man is king" that has been nigeria for the past 50 years.

Fela was the best thing that ever came out of Nigeria.

Can i have some more info. on the song, i will dig it out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by cap28: 8:55pm On Jan 24, 2011
OYINBOGOJU:

Can i have some more info. on the song, i will dig it out.

here is the link on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzz6pKw3vfA&feature=related

Its such a brilliant track but unfortunately it doesnt finish, would really appreciate it if you could direct me to where i can buy the CD with this track, other tracks im looking for are: music against second slavery (MASS)  and chop and clean mouth like say nothing happen.

many thanks
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by Katsumoto: 9:20pm On Jan 24, 2011
cap28:

here is the link on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzz6pKw3vfA&feature=related

Its such a brilliant track but unfortunately it doesnt finish, would really appreciate it if you could direct me to where i can buy the CD with this track, other tracks im looking for are: music against second slavery (MASS)  and chop and clean mouth like say nothing happen.

many thanks

BBC was never released. I think he performed that song publicly only once; Lekki sunsplash of 89. I had a copy of that recording on tape a few years ago but someone stole it from me. It is a shame it was never released; it was one of baba's masterpieces.

I will check to see whether the other two were released; but I have copies of both. If you don't get that them at HMV, you might have to go to Ikeja bus stop, near Awolowo way.

A ju bu du idi, ayo
I know hear your ayo oo
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by cap28: 9:45pm On Jan 24, 2011
Katsumoto:

BBC was never released. I think he performed that song publicly only once; Lekki sunsplash of 89. I had a copy of that recording on tape a few years ago but someone stole it from me. It is a shame it was never released; it was one of baba's masterpieces.

I will check to see whether the other two were released; but I have copies of both. If you don't get that them at HMV, you might have to go to Ikeja bus stop, near Awolowo way.

A ju bu du idi, ayo
I know hear your ayo oo

grin grin grin grin grin grin

thanks Katsumoto - I cant beleive BBC wasnt recorded its such a fantastic track, I hear there are many of his tracks that were never recorded that are equally brilliant - such a shame, how do we get hold of these works of art?

I will try HMV and see if i can find anything, failing that whenever im in nigeria I'll try Ikeja bus stop as you advised

this is the youtube link for chop and clean mouth , just wish i could get this on CD as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8WAaVok910

I love Fela's lyrics, this is how he describes nigerian sycophants who go along with anything their leaders tell them:

"If govt do something e bad,  them go say mme sah, them go say mme sah like goat, just to find something to chop, just to find money to steal,  mme, mme like goat -  na so them tink with their privatisation, na so them tink as dem dey scatter africa"

see how they slap our face for africa - them slap kpam kpam - gowon, obasanjo carry left side give them - them slap kpam kpam

love his lyrics - so true!!!!

how you dey? 

did you go to see the musical?
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by OYINBOGOJU(m): 11:05pm On Jan 24, 2011
I won`t comment until i listen to the lyrics over and over over again,

BRB

anymore infos. are welcome,
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by OYINBOGOJU(m): 11:21pm On Jan 24, 2011
This is the link to MASS

Movement Against Second Slavery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Ms1QVg_f4&NR=1
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by cap28: 11:39pm On Jan 24, 2011
OYINBOGOJU:

This is the link to MASS

Movement Against Second Slavery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Ms1QVg_f4&NR=1

thanks oyinbogju, know how or where i can get the cd?
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by OYINBOGOJU(m): 1:44am On Jan 25, 2011
Yes you can, but only in Ikeja Lagos.
Re: Fela: The Wasted And Wasting Asset Of A Wasteful, Lost Country by Katsumoto: 9:30pm On Jan 26, 2011
cap28:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

thanks Katsumoto - I cant beleive BBC wasnt recorded its such a fantastic track, I hear there are many of his tracks that were never recorded that are equally brilliant - such a shame, how do we get hold of these works of art?

I will try HMV and see if i can find anything, failing that whenever im in nigeria I'll try Ikeja bus stop as you advised

this is the youtube link for chop and clean mouth , just wish i could get this on CD as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8WAaVok910

I love Fela's lyrics, this is how he describes nigerian sycophants who go along with anything their leaders tell them:

"If govt do something e bad,  them go say mme sah, them go say mme sah like goat, just to find something to chop, just to find money to steal,  mme, mme like goat -  na so them tink with their privatisation, na so them tink as dem dey scatter africa"

see how they slap our face for africa - them slap kpam kpam - gowon, obasanjo carry left side give them - them slap kpam kpam

love his lyrics - so true!!!!

how you dey? 

did you go to see the musical? 

I am good, and you?

Nigeria seems a worse place to live in than the era which Fela sang about.

I have seen the musical.

(1) (Reply)

Begining Of Prof Jega Failure!daniel Heads To Court / Sanusi Lamido Sanusi: A Bad Role Model / 'uppercrustism:' One Day The Poor Will Have Nothing To Eat But The Rich:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.