Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,928 members, 7,828,222 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After (53688 Views)

Irate Youths Attempt To Take Over Radio Nigeria, Ibadan. Normalcy Restored / Army Restores Normalcy On Kaduna-jebba Road After Trucks From North Were Blocked / Female Soldiers Deployed To Anambra To Restore Normalcy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jun 09, 2020
Sagay212:

I'm not sure you understand my comment. If the roads where smooth and not muddy, if all roads were asphalt tiled, dirts and plastics won't easily stick to the ground and remain there for long whether rainy or dry season. It will also be very easy to clean. Smooth tiled roads and proper drainage system will make it easy for the community to be clean. Also the people too must ensure they don't liter their sorroundings

Oh yea. I support your notion that the govt has always been irresponsible. I was just saying that even the littering may not have come from the area, in response to your first statement... I perfectly agree with the rest. Actually the government should be embarking on a timely clearing of drainage channels in every LCDA especially in a city like Lagos, but they seem not to learn from a regular occurrence like flooding, instead they blame the people... Everywhere in Lagos, drainage is blocked!
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by tammie24: 12:47pm On Jun 09, 2020
AshiwajuFoward:

Why una dirty sotay una dey live and trade inside filth and squalor?? Why?!! When no be say una be pig, why una dey live like pigs for shitgb.o land??
and these pigs from potopoto republic have mouth to say southwest is dirty

Na PIGS dey here na!!!!

2 Likes

Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by Ogaga87(m): 12:49pm On Jun 09, 2020
Olalan:
Shame on the residents there......their dirtiness and foolishness caused the mess

Don't talk like that.. The dirty could be as a result of flood in the area.. Take a look at the color of the road after the cleanup
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by Sweeetheart(m): 12:51pm On Jun 09, 2020
yanabasee1:
The WASTE(EN) STATE....
don't mind them, they need to emulate Aba nnamdi KANU states

seems na majority of you people head dey run the fourth Niger bridge

no brain, no sense just empty head
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by dondigi(m): 12:57pm On Jun 09, 2020
So this na the almighty Lagos. Center of excellence my foot.

1 Like

Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by Ezmans: 1:05pm On Jun 09, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:
Lagos is a Mega Shitty

I can still see waste and brown roofs everywhere
why is in whole ketu you can't see a good new house like upstairs

1 Like

Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by alphaNomega: 1:15pm On Jun 09, 2020
ecto:
I guess you've not visited Abia state, Aba to be precise

Aba is the headquarters of filthiness! If this disaster happened in ABA, those streets would remain like that for at least 10 years!! angry

1 Like

Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by Psalmy2cute(m): 1:19pm On Jun 09, 2020
Olalan:
Shame on the residents there......their dirtiness and foolishness caused the mess
if this was from se.. people like you will be shouting igbo and ipob.. but since its lagos.. you can now say the residence instead of sw and yoruba?? it is well
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by richardo20: 1:27pm On Jun 09, 2020
Surulere is a scam, after paying for a 2 bedroom flat for 800k, 200k for agent fees

Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by Small080(m): 1:27pm On Jun 09, 2020
Some people are dirty .... Walahitalahi grin grin....
You'll be shouting banana island or Lekki.. are ghost living there, no they're human being like use, you drank pure water you dropped the nylon, alomo, action bitter, plastics Pepsi and so on.. you dropped it inside gutter .. at the end of it you'll say your dream estate is banana island, Lekki to travel abroad.. if you reach the try to drop a single waste, you're going to jail straight grin grin
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by fatymore(f): 1:36pm On Jun 09, 2020
Teejazy:

Sue them for what?
I read it sometimes ago..cant really placed it...a certain company abroad, calculate disposal of plastics with their products...so what they literally is to tell consumers to separate it and they come to pick them up for free.
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by Drizzy5001(m): 1:58pm On Jun 09, 2020
Overated slum.
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by mofedamijo(m): 2:03pm On Jun 09, 2020
eleojo23:
The dirt was an eyesore.

I cannot live in Lagos.

Too many human beings in one place (mostly crazy people shouting on every corner), no fresh air, traffic congestions and dirt littered around.

Lagos reduces someone's quality of life.

It is a difficult place to live and work and one of the worst places to retire in my opinion.

lol, Dangote, otedola, adenuga, jim ovia....all of naijas top billionaires live in Lagos. Who cares about where you live oga. There is Lagos and there is Lagos. I lived in Festac before i left naija finally. I was also working in festac and live was super dope. The only issue was light so had to constantly run the generator. Lagos is unique and funny, there are places in Lagos that re so free and calm.
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jun 09, 2020
OLDESTWARRIBOY:
Chai Lagos dirty o, no be small and after Afonja people go dey make mouth dey insult Aba. No know say two of dem dey drag league title like Lazio & Jevuntus.

When Okowa wan te clean Warri self, dat man no dey do anything o, PDP dn finish our state chai

Tinubu and obasa dn loot all their money finish

Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by Cherez: 2:16pm On Jun 09, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:
Lagos is a Mega Shitty

Receive sense
It isn't a crime if water washed up the dirts on land and this shows Lagos is a true mega city with this response
Yoruba people, well done ooooo
This is massive
I hope my Gov Obiano responds this way too, he's doing well too
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by frog12: 2:24pm On Jun 09, 2020
animals !!! animals !!! animals !!! animals !!! animals !!! animals !!! animals !!! animals !!! animals !!!
lazy animals !!! lazy animals !!! lazy animals !!! lazy animals !!! lazy animals !!! lazy animals !!! lazy animals !!!
animals !!! animals !!! animals !!! animals !!! animals !!! animals !!! animals !!! animals !!! animals !!!
lazy animals !!! lazy animals !!! lazy animals !!! lazy animals !!! lazy animals !!! lazy animals !!! lazy animals !!!
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by DaddyRochie1642: 2:37pm On Jun 09, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:
Lagos is a Mega Shitty

grin grin
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by One4me: 2:41pm On Jun 09, 2020
All these Refuse did not fall down from Heaven, as the rain came from the Sky!
It is RESIDENTS WHO POUR REFUSE INTO THE DRAINAGE THAT ARE CAUSING THESE PROBLEMS.

What is the Government doing about these Miscreants who, once they see sign of Rain, they start dumping their REFUSE INTO THE DRAINAGE, thereby blocking free-flow of rain water and causing FLOODING?

This is the genesis of the problem and UNLESS Govt tackle these set of people, we will just be going round in circles and WATING RESOURCES trying to cleanup their mess.

We have the Public Health officials at each LGA, what are they doing to checkmate this kind of problem or are they just collecting salary for nothing?
Why cant they encourage residents to forward pictures of people dumping refuse into gutters/streets and then proscute them in Mobile Courts, based on such evidence?
Why cant health officials go around in the rain (well protected with RainCoat) and monitor those who dump Refuse in the gutter, arrests and prosecute them? We only need to make a few people a scapegoat and others will get the message.

We should also encourage House Owners to install Wide-perforation (like Burglary-proof size, minimum 4" x 8" hole size) at the begining of their property so as to starin the refuse and pin-point where it is coming from, so the offenders can be prosecuted.

We cant keep wasting funds clearing refuse from drainage and it is back inside it the next day.
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by ajl: 2:56pm On Jun 09, 2020
dawnomike:
And people lived in thay environment for years... Nawa o!

No, that was not over 3yrs. The story said the same situation occurred in 2017 and it LAWMA three days to clear the wastes unlike now that it took 24hrs.
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by ajl: 2:59pm On Jun 09, 2020
One4me:
All these Refuse did not fall down from Heaven, as the rain came from the Sky!
It is RESIDENTS WHO POUR REFUSE INTO THE DRAINAGE THAT ARE CAUSING THESE PROBLEMS.

What is the Government doing about these Miscreants who, once they see sign of Rain, they start dumping their REFUSE INTO THE DRAINAGE, thereby blocking free-flow of rain water and causing FLOODING?

This is the genesis of the problem and UNLESS Govt tackle these set of people, we will just be going round in circles and WATING RESOURCES trying to cleanup their mess.

We have the Public Health officials at each LGA, what are they doing to checkmate this kind of problem or are they just collecting salary for nothing?
Why cant they encourage residents to forward pictures of people dumping refuse into gutters/streets and then proscute them in Mobile Courts, based on such evidence?
Why cant health officials go around in the rain (well protected with RainCoat) and monitor those who dump Refuse in the gutter, arrests and prosecute them? We only need to make a few people a scapegoat and others will get the message.

We should also encourage House Owners to install Wide-perforation (like Burglary-proof size, minimum 4" x 8" hole size) at the begining of their property so as to starin the refuse and pin-point where it is coming from, so the offenders can be prosecuted.

We cant keep wasting funds clearing refuse from drainage and it is back inside it the next day.

Great point. Problem is the state govt has no clear policy for preventing such situation. Every home builder should have that has part of new home construction. The guidelines should be clearly spelt out.
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by Hoodbilonia: 3:03pm On Jun 09, 2020
If only lagosians can cook and eat
Wtf 50 take away packs every damn whr
With adulterated sugary drinks and alcohol
Wtf
So everybdu for day area
Naso so take away packs
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by tonididdy(m): 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2020
until Nigerians take refuse dumping personally... this will continue.
they should brace up for the next rain
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by okuwehcris: 3:32pm On Jun 09, 2020
Olalan:

I think if you reside in the area you will understand better.

1. I stay in the area and we all pay LAWMA bills, if you don't they will come and lock up your compound, so it doesn't make sense to trash your refuse in the canal when you are sure of LAWMA coming to pick them up

2. When it rains, all other canal is channelled towards this particular canal from Yaba, Jibowu, Mushin etc. After the rain, the water will start flowing down my area with all the refuse from those areas I mentioned above and before you know it the whole area is messed up with all sort of dirt.

3. The Lagos government has been working to dredge the canal for over a month now, it also compounded the problem here, each time it rains, there's no free flow of water which makes the area messed up due to the blockage.

We are so glad it came up this way because we have been begging the state government to come to our aid while Ambode was in power, but nothing was done.

Fashoro ensures the canal is properly cleared before the rains and we never had any issues during his 8 years in office.

Please don't refer to the resident as the cause of the dirty environment it's never our fault. A formal commission use to stay in the area before now but left during Ambode's tenure because of this same issue of floor caused by the blockage. Majority of the residents are educated people who works on the Island and envisions...the whole area is accessible by LAWMA truck and they come twice a week to remove our waste
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by paix(m): 4:24pm On Jun 09, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:
Lagos is a Mega Shitty

We should learn to appreciate little things. If you take away the waste and the brown roofs; Lagos will loose its identity.
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by Androidlic: 4:41pm On Jun 09, 2020
ok
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jun 09, 2020
Alourk:
Less than twenty four hours after residents of Surulere woke up to see their streets and compounds covered in wastes, tremendous result have been recorded by the team of LAWMA’s Sanitation Officers, PSP Operators and Sweepers who have worked round the clock to clear the waste.

Some residents who spoke to Western Post expressed their satisfaction at the speed and commitment with which the workers were carrying out the cleaning exercise.

At first glance one could see the relief on the faces of residents who were returning back to the streets and going about their daily activities unhindered.

The situation on Saturday had left many residents concerned and worried especially at this time where personal hygiene and social distancing are top campaign messages to combat the ravaging COVID-19 pandemic that have claimed several lives across the state.

One resident, Mr. Akintayo (not real name) expressed his satisfaction at the rate cleaning exercise is ongoing. Akintayo commended the immediate response of LAWMA led by the acting Managing Director, Mr. Ibrahim Odumboni, who were first respondents early morning of Sunday.

Akintayo said the attitude of the Sanwo Olu led administration to the welfare of its people only goes to show a government that is attentive to the yearnings of the people.

LAWMA boss, Odumboni, having spent the whole of Sunday monitoring and mobilizing the cleanup exercise, also spent a greater part of Monday on ground in Surulere ensuring that work is on going and all necessary resources were made available.

While this intervention by LAWMA has received commendations from Lagosians, Western Post recalls that in 2017, residents of Surulere woke up to a similar situation and it took about three days before clean-up was done.

Western Post reported that residents of Surulere, particularly those of Akobi Crescent on Sunday woke to see the area covered in wastes following the heavy downpour of Saturday night.

https://westernpostnigeria.com/24hours-after-lawma-cleanup-akobi-crescent-surulere-restores-normalcy-photos/

Mega slum
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by Burruchaga71(m): 6:05pm On Jun 09, 2020
Bia, waitooo, is this place Lagos state? No no no no I can't believe this...... Shame
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by Malawian(m): 6:43pm On Jun 09, 2020
Can anyone name just one single street in all of Illasamaja that is tarred?
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by One4me: 8:38pm On Jun 09, 2020
okuwehcris:

I think if you reside in the area you will understand better.

1. I stay in the area and we all pay LAWMA bills, if you don't they will come and lock up your compound, so it doesn't make sense to trash your refuse in the canal when you are sure of LAWMA coming to pick them up

2. When it rains, all other canal is channelled towards this particular canal from Yaba, Jibowu, Mushin etc. After the rain, the water will start flowing down my area with all the refuse from those areas I mentioned above and before you know it the whole area is messed up with all sort of dirt.

3. The Lagos government has been working to dredge the canal for over a month now, it also compounded the problem here, each time it rains, there's no free flow of water which makes the area messed up due to the blockage.

We are so glad it came up this way because we have been begging the state government to come to our aid while Ambode was in power, but nothing was done.

Fashoro ensures the canal is properly cleared before the rains and we never had any issues during his 8 years in office.

Please don't refer to the resident as the cause of the dirty environment it's never our fault. A formal commission use to stay in the area before now but left during Ambode's tenure because of this same issue of floor caused by the blockage. Majority of the residents are educated people who works on the Island and envisions...the whole area is accessible by LAWMA truck and they come twice a week to remove our waste

I can relate very well with what you are saying.
Other Poeple in areas UP-STREAM, are known to dump refuse in the drainage gutters when it rains, so that the rain torrents will FLOAT it DOWN-STREAM, CAUSING A MAJOR HEADACHE FOR THOSE DOWNSTREAM,.

Anything short of arresting anyone caught dumping refuse in gutters/drainage at ANYTIME, will not help the govt and the residence.
If we dont enforce laws, we cannot blame anyone for breaking the law.
Re: LAWMA Cleanup Akobi Crescent Surulere, Restores Normalcy, 24 Hours After by One4me: 8:47pm On Jun 09, 2020
ajl:

Great point. Problem is the state govt has no clear policy for preventing such situation. Every home builder should have that has part of new home construction. The guidelines should be clearly spelt out.

It has nothing to do with Home Construction really, itis just the BAD HABIT of DIRTY PEOPLE, Law breakers who dont have respect for any iota of hygiene.

In some houses, there are Bins that you pay to dispose but because these illiterates (in most cases) dont want to pay a dime for waste disposal, they prefer to dump it in the drainages when it is raining.

They accumulate their wastes in big 50Kg Rice Sacks and when it is raining , they just Dump the whole Sack in the Gutter and the rain current floats it downwards, only to get stuck in front of somebody's else House!

It then blocks the drainage completely and the water starts flowing on the Public road, eroding and destroying that road very quickly!
If Govt does not do anything about this bad habit very quickly and strongly, all the roads they repaied will be washed-off in no time.
Governor Sanwo-Olu needs to be more pro-active like Fashola, make sure all the local Sanitation Health Inspectors are not just going about collecting Egunje, make sure that laws are strenghtened and applied swiftlt to punish Sanitation offenders

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari Hosts Former First Ladies, Others At The Villa. Photos / Peter Odili & Others Reject Democracy Heroes Awards / Obiano Empowers Anambra Students With 25 Litre Water Jerry Can (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.