Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

Does God Really Have Emotions? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does God Really Have Emotions? (1127 Views)

Does God Really Exist? What Makes You Believe? / And Many People Think Animals Don’t Have Emotions(picture) / Did God Really Write The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does God Really Have Emotions? by mabell: 10:38am On Jan 25, 2011
Some people relate with God as though he is an inanimate object, a computer or an irrational being but no, God is not like that rather He is the opposite who laughs, sings e.t.c
He expresses emotions too, he grieves. How true can this be!
Is it possible for this almighty God to express emotions like humans do, are emotions not for the weak alone
Fellow Nairalanders, what do you think?
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by UyiIredia(m): 12:19pm On Jan 25, 2011
this is a tricky question >>> i would say that God has emotions >>> but on reading"Ethics" by Spinoza >>> i would be a bit cautious b4 blurting that out >>> the thing is some Christians think God has emotions >>> some don't (as your posts connote)
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by benodic: 2:44pm On Jan 25, 2011
@ poster
the Supreme God is so far removed from the human conditions and behaviours and relates only with souls in their pure forms.

It does not have emotions. it does not have a mind and so does not analyze issues. it does not have a material body.
to approach It you have to go beyond the emotions and you have to go beyond the mind to the world of pure spirit where exist no opposites and where all things are one.
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by jdiadem: 2:54pm On Jan 25, 2011
I believe God does have emotions.

It takes an emotional creator to create an emotional man and meet His emotional needs.
GEN 1
26 ¶ And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth
GEN 2
18 ¶ And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
GEN 3
8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.

9 ¶ And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou? ----I think God came for a normal visitation to Adam.

I suppose it's His emotional nature that makes Him desire fellowship with man and also punish or destroy does who will not yield, hence you see God in several scripture verses calling for a return of His people even sometimes calling for a reasoning together.

1 sam 13:14 But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee. (what a show of emotions).

I john 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

many more could be referenced.
it's until we realise that just as we can offend our wife and husband is the same way we can offend God, and that all the evils we do are really hurting Him despite His love for us, then we may not appreciate God
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by LoveKing(m): 3:45pm On Jan 25, 2011
this God theory is still confusing to man.
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by mazaje(m): 6:57pm On Jan 25, 2011
LoveKing:

this God theory is still confusing to man.

The God hypothesis is not just confusing but a failed hypothesis, how can an omnipotent, omniscient or omni what ever being have or display emotions like anger, surprise, jealousy etc?. . . . .A God that knows the future for example can never by surprised by future out comes since he knows it already, but read the bible and you will see where the writers depict their God as being surprised by certain out come of events. . . .Its really mind bugling. . . . . .
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jan 25, 2011
Simple answer really. Humans create gods so gods have human emotions and other human attributes. The various gods all have the same characteristics and names of the cultures that created them. So the ibos have Chukwu, yorubas have Oludumare, jews have yahweh etc.

1 Like

Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by harakiri(m): 8:37pm On Jan 25, 2011
I wouldn't use the term "he". I'd prefer to use "it". . .

It has emotions because it's a man-made imaginary being. That is why it gets angry with it's so called people and brings destruction to them when they go contrary to his beliefs. It also gets Hot too. . .that's why it impregnated a "virgin" marry to bring itself into the world and still had to kill itself to save the world (only human beings are capable of cooking up such falsehood bedtime stories). It also gets jealous and calls itself a jealous god.

Further more, it suffers from delusions of grandeur and as much as it claims that it's word shall never change or pass away, it always does e.g

It's story book says only a fool says there is no god

That same story book says calling someone a fool is a sin and those who sin are in danger of hell.

Let me stop here before i get attached and become "emotional" myself.
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by Azibalua(f): 9:27pm On Jan 25, 2011
Yes he does
Check this out

Hebrews 4:15
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as[ we are, yet] without sin.
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by mabell: 9:42pm On Jan 25, 2011
God is a Person, a rational being, who has a mind, will and emotions.

But they rebelled, and vexed his holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them.
Isaiah 63:10 (KJV)

The Bible also tells us how God was grieved or wounded when the children of Israel rebelled against His Holy Spirit as they journeyed through the wilderness to the Promised Land.This lets us know that God could get angry, and anger is also an expression of emotion. The expression of emotions is a characteristic of personality, and since God is a Person, He too has emotions.
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by inedi: 11:43pm On Jan 25, 2011
benodic:

@ poster
the Supreme God is so far removed from the human conditions and behaviours and relates only with souls in their pure forms.

It does not have emotions. it does not have a mind and so does not analyze issues. it does not have a material body.
to approach It you have to go beyond the emotions and you have to go beyond the mind to the world of pure spirit where exist no opposites and where all things are one.

my friend the way you even adress God in your writing is amazing to me ooooh, how can you address God as it, pls in case of next time, address Him as He, because God is a person, he has a personality. after all the bible says God is a jeloyuse God, and jelousey is a function of fellings, so i think God has emotions
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by mabell: 9:05am On Jan 26, 2011
Since God is a person, does he sleep, eat or drink?
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by benodic: 9:54am On Jan 26, 2011
@ inedi

Quote from: benodic on Yesterday at 02:44:14 PM
@ poster

my friend the way you even adress God in your writing is amazing to me ooooh, how can you address God as it, pls in case of next time, address Him as He, because God is a person, he has a personality. after all the bible says God is a jeloyuse God, and jelousey is a function of fellings, so i think God has emotions
\

i addressed God exactly the way It is. God is not a man or a woman. It is formless. comprising of a body of pure light that only purified souls can approach.

for you to understand my point of view, you have to be ready to go beyond what people are telling you about what God is and what any book or scripture is telling you about God.

you have to be ready to step into your own inner worlds and meet God in the kingdom within. after the experience you will then realize that a lot of things circulating in the world today about the nature of God are mere fallacies.

the question is, are you ready?
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by inedi: 11:15pm On Jan 26, 2011
benodic:

@ inedi\

i addressed God exactly the way It is. God is not a man or a woman. It is formless. comprising of a body of pure light that only purified souls can approach.

for you to understand my point of view, you have to be ready to go beyond what people are telling you about what God is and what any book or scripture is telling you about God.

you have to be ready to step into your own inner worlds and meet God in the kingdom within. after the experience you will then realize that a lot of things circulating in the world today about the nature of God are mere fallacies.

you nobody is informing you ba. you can only talk like this because you dont have a relationship whith God, i will only understand you in this area, that in you heart you long after God, and all you could get was what was given to you right now which is mans search for God the deferent religion in the world, i dont no which one of them is your own, but i can tell you they are all mans idea, but there is a one way you can fill that emty space in you, and thats by recieving Jesus as your lord, and the very nature of God that you deaire will be your forever
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by thehomer: 11:09am On Jan 27, 2011
benodic:

@ inedi\

Really? What wavelength of light?

benodic:

How do you know that what you meet is God and not the Devil?
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by trekkie: 3:45pm On Jan 27, 2011
YES HE DOES LAUGH,GRIEVE,GET ANGRY,HAVE COMPASSION, AND OF COURSE LOVE.
I LOVE HIM TOO
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:28pm On Jan 28, 2011
@OP, where is this question leading to smiley
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by newmi(m): 2:45am On Jan 29, 2011
oh sure he does

Hebrews 4:15
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as[ we are, yet] without sin.

Psalms 2:4
He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.

Psalms 37:13
The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.

And even more interesting for me is the fact l have countless seen Him smile at me, embrace me during certain dept of fellowshipping Him and His loving presence and l have felt Him show gestures of concern during crisis times. You know the fact that God is emotional is what makes relating with Him by the Holy Ghost interesting and mutually dynamic.

Important note, yes God is touched by the feelings of our infirmities but He is not moved by our emotions He can only be moved by our faith.
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by mabell: 4:26pm On Jan 30, 2011
@Newmi, what an experience, what a relationship
How did it all start?
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by yommyuk: 12:19am On Jan 31, 2011
Christ wept
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by inedi: 7:14am On Jan 31, 2011
God got angry at the children of isreal @ the wilderness

God also destriod two cities because of there iniguity. sodom & gomorai
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by mabell: 9:49am On Jan 31, 2011
yommyuk:

Christ wept

A sign of emotions
Since majority of us have agreed that God has emotions, let us take it to another level
What are the outcomes of God's emotions
Are there any effects on man?
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jan 31, 2011
mabell:

A sign of emotions
Since majority of us have agreed that God has emotions, let us take it to another level

Are there any sane females on this site apart from Tudor?
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by mabell: 4:52pm On Jan 31, 2011
Next pls smiley
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by Jenwitemi(m): 11:04am On Feb 01, 2011
The bible God was a man claiming to be God to ignorant people like the ancient Israelites. That is why "he" showed "human" emotions, because HE WAS HUMAN. Claiming to be God is a piece of cake if you  are technologically advanced enough and can find a group of people mentally underdeveloped and backward enough to be easily hoodwinked into accepting you as God. There is really nothing much to it.
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by nkem123(m): 11:09am On Feb 01, 2011
no i don't think so,emotions are not only for the weak,it is divine that is the true nature of the almighty God cos luv is part of emotion.
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by mabell: 8:56am On Feb 02, 2011
Jenwitemi:

The bible God was a man claiming to be God to ignorant people like the ancient Israelites. That is why "he" showed "human" emotions, because HE WAS HUMAN. Claiming to be God is a piece of cake if you  are[b] technologically advanced enough[/b] and can find a group of people mentally underdeveloped and backward enough to be easily hoodwinked into accepting you as God. There is really nothing much to it.

Are you saying there was high tech like over a thousand years ago and if yes what were there and how were there being used to manipulate people and what about now?
Re: Does God Really Have Emotions? by yommyuk: 2:10pm On Feb 02, 2011

The outcomes of God's emotions is Love and Judgement. Ultimately the effect on man is to be BLESSED OR CURSED,

(1) (Reply)

22-year-old Christian Woman Adopts 14 Children In Uganda - Starts Ministry / Attention All Atheists: Rapture Discussion / Does 'Suicide Bombing' Have Biblical Justification?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.