Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,112 members, 7,845,694 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Is Too Much Profit A Sin? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Too Much Profit A Sin? (19272 Views)

What Shall It Profit A Man If He Gains The Whole World And Lose His Own Soul. / Masturbation Is A Sin, No Matter Your View About It / Pastor Arinze Okoli Mmaduabuchi: "Gay Is Not A Sin” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by profmallor: 11:35am On Jun 14, 2020
Genesis 26:12 says, Now Isaac sowed in that land and reaped in the same year a hundredfold. And the LORD blessed him. God wants us to make profit, huge profit. In today’s terms that’s making N100M profit on a 1M Naira investment. So God is so interested in us making good profit, however that must be in the most legit of ways. As long as there are no regulatory laws against uncapped profit nor moral boundaries been crossed, one is allowed to, as long as the laws of demand and supply is in your favor.
If you find your establishment in the position of a Monopoly in a business environment, make all you can, cause soon a regulatory law would be passed to break that sole power, until then you have broken no laws, but you must give back to God as much as you can, that’s the purpose of You been so blessed in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by GRIMMJOE(m): 11:37am On Jun 14, 2020
dingbang:
if I expose the stupidity in your comment now, you'll say I am rude.
If it's bitter then it's the truth.
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by adecz: 11:43am On Jun 14, 2020
Did you force anybody to buy
at the high cost?
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by Meatballs(m): 11:52am On Jun 14, 2020
grin

Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by Nobody: 11:58am On Jun 14, 2020
[quote author=shestrong post=90653151][/quote]
He defined SIN as "Anything done in excess"

If you're to infer using the definition then it means if I lie to you once I didn't sin
I.E I have to be lying to you often before I'd be termed a soul that SINS huh

Cogent answer pls
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by dingbang(m): 12:02pm On Jun 14, 2020
GRIMMJOE:
If it's bitter then it's the truth.
it ain't bitter, just plain stupid
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by Maross(m): 12:09pm On Jun 14, 2020
zionmde:
Oga it's simple
God put physical laws of supply and demand into place
if d goods u have has a low supply but high demand or it's a luxurious product, aim to maximize profits as long as u are not doing it illegally (eg hoarding)

there are still many factor to consider
Eg is the product an essential commodity? if yes consider d fact dat a poor man will also need it, if no maximize ur profits
Brilliant!
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by walexbiz(m): 12:13pm On Jun 14, 2020
Hello bro, don't mind those holy than thou who says it's a sin, it's not provided the following conditions are met. If the price of the product is not regulated then you are allowed to determine what price to sell as far it suits you.(1) do not sell a defective product
(2) do not lie just to convince the buyer to buy it at that price.

We should all remember that even the seller too can make a loss if the buyers too don't have the capacity to buy at that price.

1 Like

Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by jaxxy(m): 12:15pm On Jun 14, 2020
bamvik:
I Am curious to know from bible scholars in the house. You see a situation where the wholesale price of an item is lets say #2100 * 100pieces =210,000. Transportation = 90,000, total =300k and the trader eventually selling it #6000naira which is =600k.

So is it a sin? Your answers with biblical reference

Markets go with demand and supply. Aslong as he didn’t deceive u on any of the information on the product he’s free to fix his price based on various valid factors and the end of the day u can choose.

Bt Taking undue advantage is also as bad a deception.

Market forces have a part to play in business bt they shud be fair.
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by mrkings84(m): 12:37pm On Jun 14, 2020
I will jejely go to his neighbor and buy same at a very cheaper rate.
Let him keep his goods and I keep my Money.

Except he is the only one that sells it and I am dearly in need of it, then i will have no choice. And if this is the case, then I can say it's a sin cos I don't know what he went through to get such an article that he is the only one who sells it.
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by God2man2again(m): 12:40pm On Jun 14, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:
It is written "Better is little with Righteousness than great revenues without right" Proverbs 16:8

"Better is little with the Fear of the Lord than great treasure and Trouble therewith" Proverbs 15:16

"“Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.” 1 John 3:21

Let's take it from here.
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by NevetsIbot(m): 1:18pm On Jun 14, 2020
Are you guys kidding me?? How will you be referring to something like this as a sin?? If you want to put your price to be high, set it high. Whoever can not afford it will move to the next seller....

You're not the only one selling... Unless only you has that product and you decided to increase the price exorbitantly just to milk the public but even then.. Its no sin as its just the law of economics in play.. People might even offer you more than your price so they can get it..... Bitcoin is has been selling at an exchange rate of 420 - 440 naira per dollar for weeks now... Say because you are a Christian, go and sell yours at N390 na.. If its very scarce, it'll be expensive.

Y'all need to stop bringing religion into every single thing!!

Someone was saying "Talk to the Holy spirit"..... If I were the holy spirit and you called me for matters as little as this that your brain that was given to you by God should be able to handle.. I'd probabsmack some sense into you.
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by sonofthunder: 1:22pm On Jun 14, 2020
Dicktion:
Couldn't read any further after sighting @bolded embarassed

Your definition of sin tho
So for example if Mr A kills one person for the first time and Mr B is a serial killer (excess) who kills/has been killing anything then Mr B sins but A doesn't
Hmm
Stop displaying your folly for the world to see. Receive knowledge so as to better yourself and the world around you. Fighting the truth doesn't make it less true.
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by WaleRock: 1:27pm On Jun 14, 2020
If the buyer or client is very monied and isn't bothered, no problem.

However, THE STEPS OF THE RIGHTEOUS ARE ORDER BY GOD, not Nairalanders.

THE HOLY SPIRIT TEACHES ALL THINGS. THEREFORE, HE WILL CONVICT YOUR HEART IN SUCH SITUATIONS.
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by chukel(m): 1:45pm On Jun 14, 2020
Start with defining what too much profit is.
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by GRIMMJOE(m): 1:57pm On Jun 14, 2020
dingbang:
it ain't bitter, just plain stupid
Ok dingbang, lets hear what you have to say.
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jun 14, 2020
Well you asked for the opinion of Bible Scholars! smiley

The most wonderful Counselor that the Bible mentioned is Jesus of Nazareth! Isaiah 9:6
Jesus called "Money" "MAMMON OF UNRIGHTEOUSNESS" Luke 16:9

So if anyone knows where he could pick stones for free and where he could sell each for £1000, it's opportunity that you're using and such comes by chance! Ecclesiastes 9:11-12

Satan introduced this system of chances and as long as God's kingdom is yet to come, do your business but spend wisely and make friend with God by the "MONEY" (Mammon of unrighteousness) you earn!

God bless you! smiley
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by geementontop(m): 2:27pm On Jun 14, 2020
Well the bible said in the book of Matthew, that what ever you recognize as a sin to you will be a sin but when you discard with no remorse your God Sees the spirit.

He who open a shop did it to make profit and any amount u tag to the goods as your price shouldn't be a sin to you since you will not force it on buyers

If you as a buyer think that the price is not OK for you, he or she should check next shop

1 Like

Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by Oseh1Gidigba: 2:32pm On Jun 14, 2020
Just as ur mind had condemned you, therefore it's a sin.
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by Petersamuel8(m): 3:20pm On Jun 14, 2020
benedictac:

And what is GREED? SIN
Yes GREED is a Sin

1 Like

Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jun 14, 2020
Just look at the replies to this topic. Go to school una no go gree
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by abbey621(m): 4:33pm On Jun 14, 2020
This is why business and religion don't mix! The very nature of business makes it anti religion, for example in business your highest priority is to be profitable to yourself and your stakeholders. In religion, you must serve the masses even at your detriment sometimes. In business, once you stop making money you innovate, in religion not making money is okay as long as you keep spreading love.

Now when we remove religion from the equation and focus on morality and ethics, the question starts to make sense a little. Ethically a business must operate in a way that balances profit with doing the least harm. If your business makes profits by selling life saving drugs, you can charge basically any amount you want but just because you can do something does not mean you MUST! This is where ethics comes in, if the majority of the people buying your product or services do so at huge discomfort, increasing the price by doubling or tripling it is just plain wickedness and ethically corrupt, in Nigeria I doubt if we have consumer protection laws against price inflation but abroad, laws exists to protect such things.
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by Ponjul1(m): 5:15pm On Jun 14, 2020
From economics point of view, when total profit far outweighs fixed and variable cost then you have what is called abnormal or excess profit. When something is abnormal then something is wrong. Why not have a normal profit? It's simply exploitation of your customers regardless of the essentiality of your products...
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by phemmyfour: 5:58pm On Jun 14, 2020
bamvik:
I Am curious to know from bible scholars in the house. You see a situation where the wholesale price of an item is lets say #2100 * 100pieces =210,000. Transportation = 90,000, total =300k and the trader eventually selling it #6000naira which is =600k.

Proverbs 28:8 Whoever increases wealth by taking interest or profit from the poor amasses it for another, who will be kind to the poor.
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by Okiibe(m): 7:04pm On Jun 14, 2020
bamvik:

If you have ever done real business, you will not be asking this question.

Business does not only come with making of profit, whether much or little.
Business comes (ALSO) with loses in the form of:
1. Lost goods
2. Damaged goods,
3. Expired good,
4. Price fluctuation that results in serious loss on the part of the business man
5. Fire incidents
6. Flood incidents
7. Theft or burglar incidents
Etc

When that occurs, it's the profit made previously by the business that can cushion the effect and keep the business going.

I don't want to talk about multiple taxation in Nigeria as well as rents and family expenditures.

Come on, NO PROFIT IS EVER TOO MUCH.
BUT A BUSINESS MAN MUST BE CONSIDERATE AND ESCEW GREED.

THE PARABLE OF THE TALENT AS TOLD BY JESUS REQUIRES THAT TRADERS MAKE PROFIT (AFTER TAX AND OTHER ENCUMBRANCES) OF AN AMOUNT DOUBLE THE CAPITAL OVER A SHOT PERIOD OF TIME.
Read Matthew 25:14-30

God bless you
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by Okiibe(m): 7:17pm On Jun 14, 2020
abbey621:
This is why business and religion don't mix! The very nature of business makes it anti religion, for example in business your highest priority is to be profitable to yourself and your stakeholders. In religion, you must serve the masses even at your detriment sometimes. In business, once you stop making money you innovate, in religion not making money is okay as long as you keep spreading love.

Now when we remove religion from the equation and focus on morality and ethics, the question starts to make sense a little. Ethically a business must operate in a way that balances profit with doing the least harm. If your business makes profits by selling life saving drugs, you can charge basically any amount you want but just because you can do something does not mean you MUST! This is where ethics comes in, if the majority of the people buying your product or services do so at huge discomfort, increasing the price by doubling or tripling it is just plain wickedness and ethically corrupt, in Nigeria I doubt if we have consumer protection laws against price inflation but abroad, laws exists to protect such things.

Your first paragraph is devoid of knowledge.

Read Matthew 25:14-30.

God bless you
Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by ciencee(m): 7:18pm On Jun 14, 2020
thariodamaniac:

i remember the day me and my friends argued this same topic till we were got to the road.... There is no such thing as too much profit.... Its just profit and business when you start to lie abt the good like the cost price, quality etc then its a problem.... If a buyer is willingly paying the amount without further questions then u did not rip them off.... They paid what they deemed fit

This is the answer the op should be looking for.

Why do we call it business?
Remember, you have Govt TAXES and RATES, market LEVIES to pay plus the stress you went through in buying the stuff.

In all, if your heart did not condemned you, then you sinned not.

1 Like

Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by abbey621(m): 7:23pm On Jun 14, 2020
Okiibe:

Your first paragraph is devoid of knowledge.

Read Matthew 25:14-30.

God bless you

I don't see how those verses contradict my assertion, business and religion do not mix, you can't stay competitive and profitable for a long period of time without sacrificing some religious principles. It takes more than just a story in the Bible to refute that, there's a reason 80% of all global wealth belongs to less than 2% of the population.

1 Like

Re: Is Too Much Profit A Sin? by Okiibe(m): 7:41pm On Jun 14, 2020
Maximus69:
Well you asked for the opinion of Bible Scholars! smiley

The most wonderful Counselor that the Bible mentioned is Jesus of Nazareth! Isaiah 9:6
Jesus called "Money" "MAMMON OF UNRIGHTEOUSNESS" Luke 16:9

So if anyone knows where he could pick stones for free and where he could sell each for £1000, it's opportunity that you're using and such comes by chance! Ecclesiastes 9:11-12

Satan introduced this system of chances and as long as God's kingdom is yet to come, do your business but spend wisely and make friend with God by the "MONEY" (Mammon of unrighteousness) you earn!

God bless you! smiley

As Bible scholars, we must ensure we do not demonize money. This is because the Bible did not demonize money.

Matthew 25:14-30 and other numerous passages encourages trading and making profits.

Come to think of it:
Don't you guys know that everything activities ventured into by all men and women is either directly or indirectly so as to make wages, salaries, rent, increase, reward, etc. Just name it.

There is nothing valuable on planet Earth which do not have monetary value. So, to demonize money is not a principles in the Bible, neither is it a wise move.

I teach success principles and, the Bible is a compass for success achievement. There cannot be success in a venture of business where the said success is devoid of monetary value.

Money is central in human societies whether primitive or modern. Famers, civil servants, factory workers, bankers, medical doctors, engineers, lawyers and juries, monks and rev. Father's, etc= they are all after money, just like traders/business men and women.

The advice is:

DONT BE AVARICIOUS (GREEDY) ABOUT IT

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible / Is It A Sin / Shiloh 2020: See Things To Bring Along

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.