Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,464 members, 7,830,333 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers (3990 Views)

30-Year-Old Uche Annie Okonkwo Who Defeated Chidoka, In Rep Election / Lists Of Nigeria Governors Who Have Range Rover Sentinel / 2019: Meet The New Powerful ‘godfathers’ Who May Shape Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by Purplebirdrep: 8:27am On Jun 14, 2020
Babawale Oke

An Awkward, unexpected but not too-uncommon news broke out on June 12, a day marked out for the celebration of our democracy. It was the disqualification of Godwin Obaseki by the Screening Committee of All Progressives Congress (APC) for Edo State gubernatorial election. Mind you, I wasn’t expecting the party to make Obaseki their flag-bearer for the election but I expected that he would be allowed to contest the primaries.

I cannot just fathom how a sitting Governor whose credentials have never been questioned would be disqualified on flimsy excuses. When the news of the disqualification broke out, I needed to maintain my calm to know what premise they based the disqualification on. Not too long after that, I saw captions on ‘6 Reasons Why APC Disqualified Obaseki.’ I read all the alleged reasons and they were not worth one. Democracy was simply murdered on Democracy Day in Edo!

This is beyond Obaseki. In fact, I am not from Edo State but I reserve the authority to air my opinion on salient issues in the country. How can one man feel so big to dictate for an entire state? When I ask people what Obaseki’s sin is, the only reply I do get is ‘disloyalty’ and I ask, to who? To the people or just a man? Definitely, the latter is the answer. To satisfy a man, you need to betray the poor masses. This is not democracy. We got independence since 1960 and we should have gone past these shenanigans.

After his disqualification, some nauseating expressions like ‘no one fights his godfather and wins’, ‘you don’t bite the finger that feeds you’, among others started flying around on social media. This is to tell you that we are not yet of age. Well, I beg to disagree on their assertions. Here, I have compiled the list of five Nigerian governors who fought their godfathers or alleged benefactors and still triumphed. Not everyone will end in the Ambode way.

Udom Emmanuel (against Godswill Akpabio)

Against all odds, Akpabio brought Udom Emmanuel from Lagos State in 2015 to succeed him as the Governor of Akwa-Ibom State. It was really a tough fight between Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and All Progressives Congress (APC) but the PDP still emerged victorious both at the polls and the courts.

Not too long after that, Akpabio and Emmanuel’s relationship turned sour. Akpabio, the then Minority Leader of the Senate, lost control of the party structure in the state to Emmanuel. The enmity became glaring during the 2019 election. At a point, Akpabio confessed that he regretted bringing in Emmanuel as a governor but that was too late.

He joined the APC with the hope of defeating Udom Emmanuel but it turned a futile effort. Udom Emmanuel did not only win a reelection, the PDP swept the entire state with few exceptions. In fact, Akpabio lost his bid to return to the senate. The godson won! So, who says Obaseki cannot win?

Nyesom Wike (against Rotimi Amaechi)

I have never seen a political enmity like that of Wike and Amaechi of Rivers State all through my life! It is an open secret that Wike rose politically through Amaechi. Well, I know some people don’t like hearing this truth but there is no reason why it mustn’t be said. That Wike was chosen as a minister in 2011 somehow had Amaechi’s endorsement.

However, their relationship hit the rock towards 2015 when Amaechi had issues with Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and Wike had to nurture his gubernatorial ambition which he knew Amaechi would not support.

Amaechi, in the company of other stalwarts, abandoned the PDP to join the APC, a union which eventually produced President Muhammadu Buhari. Rivers practically became a war ground between the two factions in 2015. The situation wasn’t different in 2019. Yet, Wike won! I mean, the godson triumphed. All that you need is the people queuing behind you and some sort of stubbornness.

Aminu Tambuwal (Against Aliyu Wamakko)

Whether in the north or south, we have seen situations where the voice of the people counted! No political pundit could authoritatively say that Tambuwal could detach himself from Aliyu Wamakko and still be politically relevant.

Wamakko governed Sokoto State from 2007 to 2015 and eventually defected to All Progressives Congress (APC) where Tambuwal also followed suit. But in 2019,Tambuwal thought he had come of age and needed to nurture an ambition that wasn’t favorable to his mentor. Tambuwal left for the PDP while his boss remained in APC.

Unfortunately, Tambuwal’s main target, the presidential ticket of the opposition, didn’t come through. However, he stayed back in the party to contest for the governorship position. Wamakko avowed that Tambuwal was heading for a loss but that didn’t happen. Even though the election was very a close contest, the godson won. Again, this is evidence that all is not yet done for Obaseki.

Willie Obiano (against Peter Obi)

Willie Obiano, after riding on the back of Peter Obi to become the Governor of Anambra State, sent his predecessor packing from All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA). Peter Obi is a member of the PDP today because Obiano frustrated him out of theplatform where he governed for eight years.

When Peter Obi joined the PDP, he promised that Obiano was not going to be reelected. He avowed to fight him with the last pint of his blood. Ladies and gentlemen, Obiano won! In 2019 again, Peter Obi wanted to have a majority in the state house of assembly so as to initiate the possible impeachment of his successor but the agenda also failed. So, who said the godson will always lose?

Samuel Ortom (against George Akume)

After Samuel Ortom became the Governor of Benue State under All Progressives Congress (APC), his relationship with his godfather, George Akume, went bad. All effort to get their differences resolved turned abortive.

When it was obvious that he would not secure the APC ticket, he defected to the PDP. Let me call it his home. He had to bury his hatchet with his predecessor, Gabriel Suswam in order to defeat the APC. When he won the PDP primaries, he made it known that an end had come to godfatherism in the state. Of course, everyone knew he was referring to Akume.

Ortom said apart from winning a second term in office, he would also retire Akume from the senate. And at the end of the day, he achieved both aims! Akume lost and Ortom won.

All these cases are practical pointers to the fact that Obaseki can still win. For now, his most formidable alternative platform is the PDP. Most of Edo people are behind him. Just like Oshiomhole claimed to have put an end to godfather syndrome in the south-south state, Obaseki can do the same thing too.

Fortunately for him, every other state in the region is governed by a PDP governor. So, he would get all the necessary support from them. I am not saying Obaseki is a saint but democracy must be entrenched in Nigeria. It is a gradual process and this is one of it.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by techmo(m): 8:38am On Jun 14, 2020
the stategy is simple.. work very very hard to impress everybody during your first term then you can do whatever you like once you have the peoples backing

10 Likes

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by Kennyprince: 9:00am On Jun 14, 2020
Somebody like Samuel Ortom never won election.

Yes, he might have been said to have defeated his godfather but let Nigerians also know that he has not commissioned any project since 2015

3 Likes

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by yanabasee1(m): 9:13am On Jun 14, 2020
Wike had the support of the first lady PEJ who used the presidential power to break Amaechi's wings.... Wike knows that he's no match for Amaechi.....

Udom never defeated Akpabio...The people of akwa ibom refused to allow APC into the state....If Akpabio had remained in PDP, Udom would've been a goner....Till today, Akpabio is still the godfather over the two parties in the state.... Akpabio is very smart...

Ortom was just using party influence and PDP really stood by him to ensure his victory.... PDP was ready to hold down Benue state to it's folds....

Willie Obaino was just a stubborn politian against Peter Obi a soft politician... Peter Obi is not a trouble man... He has the same soft heart like GEJ who will let go as far as there'll be peace at the end..

5 Likes

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by Natural441(m): 9:33am On Jun 14, 2020
techmo:
the stategy is simple.. work very very hard to impress everybody during your first term then you can do whatever you like once you have the peoples backing
that means if you are elected today and you get the backup of people, you won't work.

1 Like

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 14, 2020
You forgot Ganduje

8 Likes

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by abobote: 9:47am On Jun 14, 2020
You forgot T.A Orji

4 Likes

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by festacman(m): 9:49am On Jun 14, 2020
Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by Cyberterror: 9:52am On Jun 14, 2020
techmo:
Exactly. That's where Obaseki failed.

1 Like

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by abobote: 9:52am On Jun 14, 2020
techmo:
It takes more than working hard. Ngige worked very hard, still got the backing of his people, but that wasn't enough

3 Likes

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by abobote: 9:54am On Jun 14, 2020
Cyberterror:

Exactly. That's where Obaseki failed.
Obaseki failed coz he started the fight at a wrong time, he should have started the fight during second tenure

1 Like

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by Sammy07: 9:58am On Jun 14, 2020
lalasticlala, Fp material nah

1 Like

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by drskyfly007(m): 9:58am On Jun 14, 2020
abobote:
Obaseki failed coz he started the fight at a wrong time, he should have started the fight during second tenure
Tambuwal and Ortom started their fights in their first tenure and eventually retired their Godfathers cool

3 Likes

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by sageb: 10:11am On Jun 14, 2020
@op you forget to add Ladoja vs Adedibu, Akpabio vs Attah, chime vs Nnamani, Mimiko vs Agagu, et al.

3 Likes

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by Blackking98(m): 10:44am On Jun 14, 2020
yanabasee1:
Wike had the support of the first lady PEJ who used the presidential power to break Amaechi's wings.... Wike knows that he's no match for Amaechi.....

Udom never defeated Akpabio...The people of akwa ibom refused to allow APC into the state....If Akpabio had remained in PDP, Udom would've been a goner....Till today, Akpabio is still the godfather over the two parties in the state.... Akpabio is very smart...

Ortom was just using party influence and PDP really stood by him to ensure his victory.... PDP was ready to hold down Benue state to it's folds....

Willie Obaino was just a stubborn politian against Peter Obi a soft politician... Peter Obi is not a trouble man... He has the same soft heart like GEJ who will let go as far as there'll be peace at the end..
Akpabio is what?
Excuse me are you from Akwa Ibom or do you stay in Akwa Ibom? If neither of the two just keep quiet and stop analysing nonsense.
Akpabio is the godfather of PDP with the like of bassey Albert and onofiok Luke there? Who born am?
Or the godfather of APC when you have John edeghe or umana umana still there? For your information the leader of APC in Akwa is Don Etebiet and not even akpabio.
If you don't know what you're saying keep quiet.
All HOA Members in Akwa Ibom are PDP
All local government chairmen are PDP
All senators are PDP
All reps are PDP except MBO LGA rep
Before akpabio there was PDP and after him there will still be PDP in Akwa Ibom.
Akpabio can't win election in Akwa Ibom without bassey Albert, onofiok Luke, Emmanuel enoidem and aniekan umana, take it to anywhere, all those men are working for Udom and loyaly PDP so rest abeg

9 Likes

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by TheSaxophonist: 11:11am On Jun 14, 2020
Blackking98:
Akpabio is what?
Excuse me are you from Akwa Ibom or do you stay in Akwa Ibom?

Nor mind that one. Make he sit down for Lagos dey analyse South South politics.. You nor mention Udo Edehe?

3 Likes

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by Abdulazeez64(m): 11:19am On Jun 14, 2020
what of Ganduje against kwankwaso

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by Hunchogee: 11:35am On Jun 14, 2020
Blackking98:
Akpabio is what?
Excuse me are you from Akwa Ibom or do you stay in Akwa Ibom? If neither of the two just keep quiet and stop analysing nonsense.
Akpabio is the godfather of PDP with the like of bassey Albert and onofiok Luke there? Who born am?
Or the godfather of APC when you have John edeghe or umana umana still there? For your information the leader of APC in Akwa is Don Etebiet and not even akpabio.
If you don't know what you're saying keep quiet.
All HOA Members in Akwa Ibom are PDP
All local government chairmen are PDP
All senators are PDP
All reps are PDP except MBO LGA rep
Before akpabio there was PDP and after him there will still be PDP in Akwa Ibom.
Akpabio can't win election in Akwa Ibom without bassey Albert, onofiok Luke, Emmanuel enoidem and aniekan umana, take it to anywhere, all those men are working for Udom and loyaly PDP so rest abeg

Tell that wimb to correct himself honestly, the talk wat the don't know
Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by Heffalump(m): 12:00pm On Jun 14, 2020
OP, add Obaseki of Edo State to that list of yours because it will soon happen in our State.

If you're born a free man, why should one stupid godfather enslave you ? undecided

1 Like

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by helinues: 12:02pm On Jun 14, 2020
Obaseki is not even a footballer to play the game.

He is a mere ball boy

1 Like

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by Bimpe29: 12:19pm On Jun 14, 2020
Obaseki is poised to join the list hopefully

1 Like

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by alezzy13: 12:32pm On Jun 14, 2020
OPs comparison is faulty. While it is true they retired their alleged godfathers, there are significant differences between a number of them and Obaseki

For instance Tambuwal once held the fourth most powerful position in the land. That certainly would have given him some leverage and enable him build a formidable base to rival wammako

Ditto for Wike and Ortom, both of whom had served as ministers. In fact the latter was already actively in politics for close to 10yrs before becoming governor in 2015.

For Obaseki, he's as green-eyed as they come. Though he served in Oshio's government, it was more of advisory, technocratic role - he was never really into politics.

1 Like

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by Kingsam20: 12:35pm On Jun 14, 2020
Dave umahi against Elechi
Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:47pm On Jun 14, 2020
Babatunde Raji Fashola ( against Bola Ahmed Tinubu)

Tinubu tried everything he could to prevent Fashola from re-contesting for 2nd term but Fashola does not row in the mould with pigs grin grin grin grin (the first time the word PIG was correctly applied politically in Nigeria unlike some zombies misusing it now)

He had the people by his side and he handcuffed Tinubu with his glaring and unquestionable achievements in Lagos State

3 Likes

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by joeyfire(m): 12:49pm On Jun 14, 2020
The most serious defeat of a godfather I ever saw was Theodore Orji and Orji Uzor Kalu. T.A Orji made OUK leave PDP to PPA. TA Orji then got three septic tank trucks to go and offload tons of shit which was sprayed into PPA Headquarters in Umuahia as a warning grin

1 Like

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by iluvdonjazzy: 12:55pm On Jun 14, 2020
You forgot Oshiomhole against Tony Anenih, and somebody against Bukola Saraki.
Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by googi: 12:57pm On Jun 14, 2020
Thanks for that.

But you should have included Yekini Ogunlere...... alias Tinubu that sent his mentor Pa Dawudo to his grave regretting he sided with Tinubu over the winner of Primary Funso Williams because he was not a member of NADECO.

Wiseandtrue:
Babatunde Raji Fashola (Tinubu)

Tinubu tried everything he could to prevent Fashola from re-contesting for 2nd term but Fashola does not row in the mould with pigs grin grin grin grin

He had the people by his side and he handcuffed Tinubu with his glaring and unquestionable achievements in Lagos State

2 Likes

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by maestroferddi: 12:58pm On Jun 14, 2020
The issue here is that Obaseki is not a smart thinker.

How was expecting to emerge as the party flag-bearer when Oshiomhole still holds sway as the Chairman of APC?

I am not good at suffering fools gladly. Dude ought to have read the writing on the wall six months before now...

He should have since defected to PDP who have formidable structures in Edo State. He appears a reactive person, a very negative trait to have as a politician.

Maybe it is not too late for him to make the bee line for PDP when he still has the opportunity...

It is trite that the ludicrous disqualification holds no water...
It will easily be thrown out upon litigation.

Why would APC screening committee usurp the powers of the Senate and registry of the University of Ibadan who granted Obaseki admission and subsequently graduated him?

The zoo.allusion to Nigeria is not that wide off the mark...

1 Like

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:58pm On Jun 14, 2020
alezzy13:
OPs comparison is faulty. While it is true they retired their alleged godfathers, there are significant differences between a number of them and Obaseki

For instance Tambuwal once held the fourth most powerful position in the land. That certainly would have given him some leverage and enable him build a formidable base to rival wammako

Ditto for Wike and Ortom, both of whom had served as ministers. In fact the latter was already actively in politics for close to 10yrs before becoming governor in 2015.

For Obaseki, he's as green-eyed as they come. Though he served in Oshio's government, it was more of advisory, technocratic role - he was never really into politics.

Same for Fashola, he did not only served his second term, he has since left the local league grin grin grin
Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by oyatz(m): 1:05pm On Jun 14, 2020
This one just weak me o

joeyfire:
The most serious defeat of a godfather I ever saw was Theodore Orji and Orji Uzor Kalu. T.A Orji made OUK leave PDP to PPA. TA Orji then got three septic tank trucks to go and offload tons of shit which was sprayed into PPA Headquarters in Umuahia as a warning grin

Re: Edo 2020: 5 Nigerian Governors Who Defeated Their Godfathers by oyatz(m): 1:11pm On Jun 14, 2020
Litigation that he MUST participate in the Primaries of the APC?

The party has a right to exclude persons they consider liabilities or disloyal members from their primaries. They can even expel him from the party.

The courts can NOT force an association or a political party to love, support and accept a particular candidate as their member.

maestroferddi:
The issue here is that Obaseki is not a smart thinker.

How was expecting to emerge as the party flag-bearer when Oshiomhole still holds sway as the Chairman of APC?

I am not good at suffering fools gladly. Dude ought to have read the writing on the wall six months before now...

He should have since defected to PDP who have formidable structures in Edo State. He appears a reactive person, a very negative trait to have as a politician.

Maybe it is not too late for him to make the bee line for PDP when he still has the opportunity...

It is trite that the ludicrous disqualification holds no water...
It will easily be thrown out upon litigation.

Why would APC screening committee usurp the powers of the Senate and registry of the University of Ibadan who granted Obaseki admission and subsequently graduated him?

The zoo.allusion to Nigeria is not that wide off the mark...

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

EXPOSED:Nigeria Army Deploys Northern Commanders To Quell Tension In South-East / Pdp’s Natasha Akpoti Wins Kogi Central Senatorial Election / The Lagos –kano Rail Modernisation Project – Where To From Here….?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.