Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,133 members, 7,829,039 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy (2762 Views)

Looking For (PHONE) Tech Writers / What Type Of Phone Are You Using At The Moment? / Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jun 14, 2020
I was privileged to visit slot and 3chub yesterday with a friend of mine to help him get a good samsung device.

While waiting to get attended to, took my time to observe series of events going on(won’t mention the tech company) and i was soo astonished how gullible we nigerians are when it comes to mobile phones, all most customers there cared about was max battery capacity(talking about 5/6k mah) and i was like, did this guys walk in here to buy powerbank or a mobile gadget?.

Other interest they had were high number of pixels and ram not caring how true those numbers are.

was soo shocked non, not even one while i was there even bothered asking about the processors used in producing these phones, i’m sure they aren’t even aware there is anything called chipset in a mobile phone.

And also i observed these marketers never mentioned it, or even bothered explaining to the customers, neither was it written down on the phone specs.

Worse was the category of people that didn’t even care about the features of the phone they wanna get and i wondered, who does that?

Why is there this high level of phone tech illiteracy amongst us, here on nairaland i see alot of people enlightened about what matters most in a mobile phone but when you go out in the streets, you’ll find out non even have idea of what is even called multitasking not to talk of processors.

who is to be blamed here, customers or tech companies?

12 Likes

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jun 14, 2020
You should understand something.
Not everyone is interested in those specification.
If I need something to last the whole day I'll get a phone with a big battery capacity.
If am a gamer I'll get a phone with good ram and processor.
If am a camera freak I'll get a phone matching that capacity.
Some customers want phones with good after sales service.
A market is a place where various things are sold, as a customer you are entitled to buy which ever product you want to.
Some will tell you volvo cars are bad and Toyotas are good but ppl are still using volvo cars. Everyone has a choice.

But here on nairaland u guys just want to shove your ideas down people's throat.

If you feel a phone is crappy simply avoid it.
If you feel a phone is expensive simply avoid it.
If a phone has a bad battery usage avoid it.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jun 14, 2020
pane22:
I don't understand the ish of some of you on nairaland.
If I need something to last the whole day I'll get a phone with a big battery capacity.
A market is a place where various things are sold, as a customer you are entitled to buy which ever product you want to.

But here on nairaland u guys just want to shove your ideas down people's throat.

read my post again, take it easy this time

16 Likes

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by LordOfTheWeed: 4:31pm On Jun 14, 2020
pane22:
I don't understand the ish of some of you on nairaland.

You took these words out of my mind bro.. .. .. cool

1 Like

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jun 14, 2020
LordOfTheWeed:

You took these words out of my mind bro.. .. .. cool
guess you didn’t grab the info passed across

2 Likes

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by edoairways: 6:06pm On Jun 14, 2020
pane22:
Some will tell you volvo cars are bad and Toyotas are good but ppl are still using volvo cars. Everyone has a choice.

That is what I have been campaigning for some time. There is no day some nairalanders wouldn't castigate a brand then shovel another down one's throat. Thank op is seeing what I have been saying. Street campaign is the way forward not online polls and rants.

3 Likes

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by edoairways: 6:08pm On Jun 14, 2020
elvischukie it not just technology illiteracy, even medical, social, political illiteracy.

5 Likes

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by seunfly: 7:04pm On Jun 14, 2020
edoairways:
elvischukie it not just technology illiteracy, even medical, social, political illiteracy.

exactly what i wanted to say, Nigerians lacks knowledge of many things even the ones that passed through four walls of university don't even know anything about what they study.

The rich, the poor even the ones in high places don't know things and they all argue alot.
The only thing they know is political, religion and tribal sentiment, they create foolish opinion without fact, believes in it and tries very hard to sell those biased opinion to others as a fact.

i v resolved not to disscus issues with average Nigerians again because they believe more in their personal formed biased opinion than fact.
Imagine one was telling me Ghana does not have a single case of covid 19 just because he wants to believe convid 19 does not exist and government is lying. At the end he shouted “Buhari is a scam”
How does Buhari being a scam relates to fact twisting and claiming Ghana does not have a single covid 19 case.

Another was a man comparing Ghana exchange rate and claiming Nigeria has finished, i ask him if he knows about currency redinomination and that Ghana did currency redinomination but he never belived it, though the man is a banker.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by Nellsworld(m): 7:11pm On Jun 14, 2020
elvischukie:
I was privileged to visit slot and 3chub yesterday with a friend of mine to help him get a good samsung device.

While waiting to get attended to, took my time to observe series of events going on(won’t mention the tech company) and i was soo astonished how gullible we nigerians are when it comes to mobile phones, all most customers there cared about was max battery capacity(talking about 5/6k mah) and i was like, did this guys walk in here to buy powerbank or a mobile gadget?.

Other interest they had were high number of pixels and ram not caring how true those numbers are.

was soo shocked non, not even one while i was there even bothered asking about the processors used in producing these phones, i’m sure they aren’t even aware there is anything called chipset in a mobile phone.

And also i observed these marketers never mentioned it, or even bothered explaining to the customers, neither was it written down on the phone specs.

Worse was the category of people that didn’t even care about the features of the phone they wanna get and i wondered, who does that?

Why is there this high level of phone tech illiteracy amongst us, here on nairaland i see alot of people enlightened about what matters most in a mobile phone but when you go out in the streets, you’ll find out non even have idea of what is even called multitasking not to talk of processors.

who is to be blamed here, customers or tech companies?
Bros even some marketers are illiterate in technology, but don't blame them, if we had a standard ministry that check mates some things, we wouldn't be like this, but in Nigeria everything goes, even some people that claims to be gamers are olodo when it comes to phone specifications

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by Nellsworld(m): 7:15pm On Jun 14, 2020
edoairways:
You are correct, like now, i can't buy infinix or tecno or Samsung or any xiaomi products or iPhone for my mother, why becos it will be sleeping in her room, my mom refer using laptop than phones, so the best i can buy will be itel becos of the battery, i know that one will take her for 3 to 4 days without charge, she just use phone to text and make calls

1 Like

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by skywalker240(m): 7:48pm On Jun 14, 2020
Now this is the exact reason tecno and infinix are having a feild day with Nigerians

6 Likes

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by DragnetisaKuk(f): 7:53pm On Jun 14, 2020
When folks on the phone section are trying to educate, marketers would rather you don't as the consumer's ignorance fills their belly.

When reputable smartphones unveil their smartphones, say Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei etc, they tell you how the new device is better than the previous generation, how much better in terms of performance compared to the previous generation.

Then you have others that don't, take Infinix for example. During the Note 7 launch, they announced the Infinix Note 7 lite and didn't mention what SoC powered it. The illiterate marketers they hire had no idea it wasn't the G70 and Infinix didn't list the SoC on their website.

The marketer who lacks this information and didn't find out the information then markets the device beyond it's capabilities leaving the OEM, Infinix in this case, blameless.

Another is the case of greed from marketers who know better yet keep numb about it to make more sales. These guys are greedy and would rather see you part with your money than inform you on what's necessary.

Then we're back to OEMs that don't upgrade the performance of their smartphones and hence the end users who are loyal to the brand are not exposed to better performing devices, using Infinix in this case again, the Hot series of Infinix used the same SoC from the Infinix Hot (2014) till the Hot 7 (2019) and a loyal user who has been buying Hot device is oblivious of the fact that his money is being recycled with no upgrades. These creates false ideologies in their minds. They make excuses for their lack of performance.

If this is someone that plays games, he'll subscribe to the ideology that for you to play games on your phone you need to buy $1000 iPhones or Samsung devices. He knows no better that his money can get him much more than he's getting.

This last reason is the major reason why Nigeria's are tech illustrates. The company scams them, the marketer leaves them ignorant, the consumer remains ignorant for he is gullible.

#IMO

cc festwiz

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by skywalker240(m): 8:17pm On Jun 14, 2020
Lalasticlala would never see this and move to FP.
OH, it's not a thread related to salazar slitherine.

2 Likes

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jun 14, 2020
edoairways:

That is what I have been campaigning for some time. There is no day some nairalanders wouldn't castigate a brand then shovel another down one's throat. Thank op is seeing what I have been saying. Street campaign is the way forward not online polls and rants.

that’s exactly my point, out there on the streets no one have any idea of all these stuffs
Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jun 14, 2020
skywalker240:
Lalasticlala would never see this and move to FP.

OH, it's not a thread related to salazar slitherine.

lol
Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jun 14, 2020
DragnetisaKuk:
When folks on the phone section are trying to educate, marketers would rather you don't as the consumer's ignorance fills their belly.

When reputable smartphones unveil their smartphones, say Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei etc, they tell you how the new device is better than the previous generation, how much better in terms of performance compared to the previous generation.

Then you have others that don't, take Infinix for example. During the Note 7 launch, they announced the Infinix Note 7 lite and didn't mention what SoC powered it. The illiterate marketers they hire had no idea it wasn't the G70 and Infinix didn't list the SoC on their website.

The marketer who lacks this information and didn't find out the information then markets the device beyond it's capabilities leaving the OEM, Infinix in this case, blameless.

Another is the case of greed from marketers who know better yet keep numb about it to make more sales. These guys are greedy and would rather see you part with your money than inform you on what's necessary.

Then we're back to OEMs that don't upgrade the performance of their smartphones and hence the end users who are loyal to the brand are not exposed to better performing devices, using Infinix in this case again, the Hot series of Infinix used the same SoC from the Infinix Hot (2014) till the Hot 7 (2019) and a loyal user who has been buying Hot device is oblivious of the fact that his money is being recycled with no upgrades. These creates false ideologies in their minds. They make excuse for their lack of performance.

If this is someone that plays games, he'll subscribe to the ideology that for you to play games on your phone you need to buy $1000 iPhones or Samsung devices. He knows no better that his money can get him much more than he's getting.

This last reason is the major reason why Nigeria's are tech illustrates. The company scams them, the marketer leaves them ignorant, the consumer remains ignorant for he is gullible.

#IMO

well said

1 Like

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jun 14, 2020
skywalker240:
Now this is the exact reason tecno and infinix are having a feild day with Nigerians
lol
Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by DragnetisaKuk(f): 8:22pm On Jun 14, 2020
edoairways:

Street campaign for what exactly? Is it to inform people what an SoC is or do you want to market a brand. If you can be honest and teach the few people you meet online, those people can teach their friends and relatives and before you know it, it's common knowledge.

9 Likes

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jun 14, 2020
seunfly:

exactly what i wanted to say, Nigerians lacks knowledge of many things even the ones that passed through four walls of university don't even know anything about what they study.

The rich, the poor even the ones in high places don't know things and they all argue alot.
The only thing they know is political, religion and tribal sentiment, they creat foolish opnion without fact, believes in it and tries very hard to sell those biased opnion to others as a fact.

i v resolved not to disscus issues with average Nigerians again because they believe more in their personal formed biased opinion than fact.
Imagine one was telling me Ghana does not have a single case of covid 19 just because he wants to believe convid 19 does not exist and government is lying. At the end he shouted “Buhari is a scam”
How does Buhari being a scam relates to fact twisting and claiming Ghana does not have a single covid 19 case.

Another was a man comparing Ghana exchange rate and claiming Nigeria has finished, i ask him if he knows about currency redinomination and that Ghana did currency redinomination but he never belived it, though the man is a banker.
cheesy cheesy
Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jun 14, 2020
Nellsworld:

Bros even some marketers are illiterate in technology, but don't blame them, if we had a standard ministry that check mates some things, we wouldn't be like this, but in Nigeria everything goes, even some people that claims to be gamers are olodo when it comes to phone specifications
exactly, the Government is part of the problem
Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by edoairways: 8:41pm On Jun 14, 2020
DragnetisaKuk:

Street campaign for what exactly? Is it to inform people what an SoC is or do you want to market a brand. If you can be honest and teach the few people you meet online, those people can teach their friends and relatives and before you know it, it's common knowledge.

Teach people online them they pass the knowledge to others however this might not be effective.
Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by DragnetisaKuk(f): 8:45pm On Jun 14, 2020
Nellsworld:

You are correct, like now, i can't buy infinix or tecno or Samsung or any xiaomi products or iPhone for my mother, why becos it will be sleeping in her room, my mom refer using laptop than phones, so the best i can buy will be itel becos of the battery, i know that one will take her for 3 to 4 days without charge, she just use phone to text and make calls

This here is my major gripe with Transsion marketers. They market their devices as what they're not and refuse to educate the consumers.

For 96K, a typical Transsion marketer would not tell you that the Tecno Camon 15 Premiere cannot perform as good as the Redmi Note 8 or the Galaxy A30, either because they don't know or they want to prey on the ignorance of Nigerians who likes big numbers.

They'll hammer on the 64MP camera, the 5000Mah battery and the large display but they won't inform the customer that the 5000mAh doesn't have fast charging, the SoC cannot handle the camera and that the display is not HDR compatible, and that the 6GB ram is not what makes your phone powerful.

They prey on this lapse in the potential consumer's knowledge for profit. There are much more to talk about but my fingers hurt already, I'm tired.

Some people would rather not know, many Nigerians love to celebrate mediocrity and many more are scared of change. They'd rather buy a Tecno device for 300k Naira than believe another brand can offer a 5x better device for half that price.

cc festwiz

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by edoairways: 8:46pm On Jun 14, 2020
seunfly:

The only thing they know is political, religion and tribal sentiment, they creat foolish opnion without fact, believes in it and tries very hard to sell those biased opnion to others as a fact.

A banker! Na wa oh
Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by skywalker240(m): 8:50pm On Jun 14, 2020
pane22:

these assertion are the main reason why nigeria is not leaving the dumping ground status quo

change begins with you,

but how? NIGERIA

6 Likes

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by DragnetisaKuk(f): 8:52pm On Jun 14, 2020
edoairways:

Teach people online them they pass the knowledge to others however this might not be effective.

It might not but it's a start.

My brother was the first to use a Xiaomi product in my house, and now most smartphones in the house are Xiaomi or Redmi, about 6 devices. My friends moved from Tecno and Infinix to OnePlus, Redmi, Realme and Vivo. These are people that have no Nairaland accounts. I know a few people who have bought Lenovo Z6 lite or K5 Pro from my recommendations and these are people I have never seen them on NL.

You might think it's not effective but it actually is. Ever heard of the Butterfly effect?

cc festwiz

7 Likes

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by seunfly: 8:59pm On Jun 14, 2020
edoairways:

A banker! Na wa oh

He will open his mind to know if he did not have intension to castigate Nigeria.
Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by ddjay: 10:32pm On Jun 14, 2020
edoairways:

Oga the world is advancing, dont stay behind, marketing is now at the tip of your fingers, its all online now bros, abeg no allow people for small small African countries think naija is backward.

3 Likes

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by ddjay: 10:41pm On Jun 14, 2020
So because of some nigerians, small small boys and girls behind transsion are busy buying range rover, benz even rolls Royce dem and Bentley. Chai na wa o, keep on enriching the asian economy, una future no go get light at all
Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by StrikeBack(m): 10:46pm On Jun 14, 2020
I'm enjoying this thread.

Nigeria is a dumping ground
EOD.
No sector in this country is doing well so what do you expect.

You can't give what you don't have.

1 Like

Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by StrikeBack(m): 10:48pm On Jun 14, 2020
ddjay:
So because of some nigerians, small small boys and girls behind transsion are busy buying range rover, benz even rolls Royce dem and Bentley. Chai na wa o, keep on enriching the asian economy, una future no go get light at all
That is why I hardly participate in threads like this. Make I no talk Sha

You hit the nail on the head bro
Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by edoairways: 11:18pm On Jun 14, 2020
ddjay:

Oga the world is advancing, dont stay behind, marketing is now at the tip of your fingers, its all online now bros, abeg no allow people for small small African countries think naija is backward.
Even the so called small African are experiencing similar fate
Re: Why The High Rate Of Phone Tech Illiteracy by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jun 14, 2020
DragnetisaKuk:

This here is my major gripe with Transsion marketers. They market their devices as what they're not and refuse to educate the consumers.

For 96K, a typical Transsion marketer would not tell you that the Tecno Camon 15 Premiere cannot perform as good as the Redmi Note 8 or the Galaxy A30, either because they don't know or they want to pray on the ignorance of Nigerians who likes big numbers.

They'll hammer on the 64MP camera, the 5000Mah battery and the large display but they won't inform the customer that the 5000mAh doesn't have fast charging, the SoC cannot handle the camera and that the display is not HDR compatible, and that the 6GB ram is not what makes your phone powerful.

They prey on this lapse in the potential consumer's knowledge for profit. There are much more to talk about but my fingers hurt already, I'm tired.

Some people would rather not know, many Nigerians love to celebrate mediocrity and many more are scared of change. They'd rather buy a Tecno device for 300k Naira than believe another brand can offer a 5x better device for half that price.

cc festwiz
well said

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Android Phone Of 5k / Mtn Is Back And Furious / Infinix Zero Cracked Screen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.