Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,038 members, 7,828,644 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD (25494 Views)

The Strike Continues As FG Threatens No Work No Pay For Doctors / Kano Govt Playing Politics With COVID-19 - NARD, NMA, AMLSN / NMA, NARD Threaten To Withdraw Services Over Invitation Of Chinese Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:54am On Jun 17, 2020
The Federal government has threatened to take action against any resident doctor on its payroll who fails to resume work today, June 17.

Recall that NARD had embarked on a nationwide strike on Monday due to the Federal Government’s failure to meet demands made by the association.

A negotiation meeting convened by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige with the Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire, and the leadership of the Resident doctors, ended in a deadlock on Tuesday after many hours of deliberation.

Ngige, during the meeting, stated that health workers are the essential frontline officers during the coronavirus pandemic and have suffered great mishaps across the country.

According to him, the major issues have been taken care of, while other minor issues will also be taken care of.

He said “We have paid those allowances since last night and it was directly paid into the account of recipients.

“We are also hopeful that between the IPPIS office and the Central Bank, that before 24 hours they would all be credited for April and May.

“The payment wasn’t made for only Resident Doctors, but also for consultants, nurses, pharmacists, physiologist, mortuary attendants, ICU centers, and all health care workers in coronavirus designated hospitals and all Federal Medical Centres in designate states.

“We assumed that these issues have been settled because IPPIS has shown evidence.

“We have also agreed on matters that are in court, that we should step them down so that we do not enter areas that are in the purviews of the court.

“Also, on the issue of group life insurance and the employee compensation, they have been paid and we have equally said that they have no right to make claim for the resident doctors or any other health workers that must have had a mishap in the cause of work resulting in death.

“For those who do not die or have mishap or accidents in the cause of their work but became incapacitated, they can always make claims through the Employee Compensation Act, which the Federal Government have already activated.

The appropriation for residence program has been captured in the 2021 budget and would roll over from 2020,” he said.

Also, Dr. Ehanire Osagie, while speaking said that Nigeria was the first country in the world where doctors went on strike during a global pandemic.

“The health of Nigerians is very important at this crucial time and we will ensure that the lives of Nigerians are protected, therefore, we will not allow our hospitals to be fallow.

“At this point, the health workforce is essential services and we have pleaded and have equally done everything to meet the demands that are being made by them.

“We at the Ministry of Health are ready to protect the lives of Nigerians, and we are not going to allow our hospitals to do otherwise.

“The resident doctors have told us that they are not returning to work very soon until certain conditions are met and truth be told, they cannot keep extending the goal post any time they like.

”So, Wednesday morning, those who report to work will be taken as those who are still in service, and the register will be taken and closed at 12 noon and by then we will know who wants to still be in service,” Ehanire said.

However, the doctors refused to return to the meeting after a recess was taken.

NAN reports that the National President, Dr. Aliyu Sokomba while speaking with newsmen, said that the doctors would only call off the ongoing action within 24 hours if the government brings something tangible to the table.

“This is the only way that the strike can be ended within 24 hours,” he said,

source: https://dailypost.ng/2020/06/17/nationwide-strike-fg-threatens-actions-against-nard/

2 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by DonFreshmoney(m): 8:05am On Jun 17, 2020
Instead of begging and pleading (carrot approach), they threatening and forcing doctors who have genuine grievances(stick approach)..

Useless buharitic government

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by obonujoker(m): 8:23am On Jun 17, 2020
There's nothing you can do.

You stupid politicians will all die finish ni.... Theives. Turned the country to a zoo

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by inoki247: 8:26am On Jun 17, 2020
You beat pikin u still tell am mak e no cry

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by lilprinze: 8:30am On Jun 17, 2020
They have the money, they should better pay these guys their money, they have worked for it. What is wrong with these greedy people sef? In other parts of the world healthcare workers are treasured and honored, but in Nigeria the government shares the money between themselves and make their workers suffer like slaves.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Gandollar(f): 8:30am On Jun 17, 2020
Buhari has not known peace since 2015 he assumed office.

Karma is a bitch!

30 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by ODJ124(m): 8:32am On Jun 17, 2020
grin grin
Wahala is when you vomit pounded yam with fish in church during fasting and prayer session...

isoright.

13 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Poloyanabo2(m): 8:35am On Jun 17, 2020
Instead of meeting the demands of the striking doctors, you're threatning them!

8 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Sonoyom(m): 9:14am On Jun 17, 2020
Threats here again, the youths protesting in Katsina were given threats, medical personnel are also threatened but bandits and BH members are given amnesty what could be worse?

32 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by BlowYourMind: 9:28am On Jun 17, 2020
Strike in Nigeria is something else.

1 Like

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Picardor2: 10:03am On Jun 17, 2020
An OPEN LETTER To The Honorable Minister Of Health Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria

Dear Honorable Minister,

I bring you very warm greetings from my family and all men of good will who wish you well in office and who hope that you would leave your feet marks on the sands of time in the Federal Ministry of Health when this job comes to an end.

I am writing to you through this medium, not only as a concerned Medical Doctor ( an Elder for that matter) but also because I am a Past President of NARD - the Association currently on strike.

I do not want to bore you with the history of the Nigerian health sector and how little progress we have made since 1960 because I know that in your exalted position as the Honorable Minister of Health, you are already conversant with that history.

I also do not want to bore you with the struggles embarked by the NARD since 1982 to better the lot of Nigerian Health Sector and the healthcare manpower.

What has ignited the fire in me to write you is the pronouncement made on National Television by your very good self threatening to sack all and any of the striking Medical Doctors if they do not go back to work by Wednesday the 17th day of June 2020.

Honorable Minister
The path you are threading now is one which many of your predecessors trod in times past and it did not yield any fruits at all.

It's an old weather beaten path which has neither generated good will nor solved any problems, rather it had always created more problems.

I am certainly sure that the Honorable Minister knows very well that NARD is the fulcrum of health care service delivery in Nigeria and whatever will affect its membership would surely derail any plans at improving the health care sector which your good office has envisaged in this your time.

And so, if NARD is on strike, it only means that she has explored all avenues at peacefully reconciling the differences between her and the Government of President Muhammadu Buhari and as the Honorable Minister of Health, your responsibility is to protect the interest of the Government and the Health care workers. So when you issue a threat of sack on the Doctors, it is akin to reading the riot act and that is only practicable in a Military setting. We are practicing a civilian democracy (I hope we are) and such approaches at commanding and threatening are tools that will always fail because they negate the rights of the individuals to express themselves freely.

COVID - 19 happened on Nigeria and the Government entered into an MOU to ensure that Medical Doctors and other health care workers are adequately protected. Information at my disposal has it that up until now, the hazard allowance is yet to be paid (3 months after the MOU was signed), the PPE is yet to be made universally available and accessible, the Life and accident insurance scheme is yet to be activated and the people talked and shouted so much that their voices became hoarse and then they decided to withdraw their services as that is the only tool they have; what do we have as the first reaction - a threat to sack!

As I write, more than 150 Medical Doctors excluding other health care workers have tested positive to the corona virus and quite a number has died.

Honorable Minister
You do not beat a child and ask him not to cry

As an Elder, I took a long look at the matter and decided to write you to offer a piece of advise which though is completely unsolicited for. And I am doing this because my people say that "An Elder does not sit at home and watch a she-goat deliver with ropes round her neck"

I want to advise that the Honorable Minister kindly withdraws the threat to sack Resident Doctors, engage them in a dialogue through extraordinary means and find a quick solution to the reasons why they went on strike in the first place.

That to me is what can help this matter at this stage

I thank you for reading and do kindly accept the assurances of my highest regards

Dr. Jerry - the First Oguzie: JP
Abuja

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Nobody: 10:09am On Jun 17, 2020
Which kin level be this?. Sacking frontliners? Instead of pampering them especially during this pendamic

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by tuoyoojo(m): 10:09am On Jun 17, 2020
They should better pay them and stop all this long talk
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by amiibaby(f): 10:09am On Jun 17, 2020
The FG is full of crap

6 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Kizzygentle: 10:09am On Jun 17, 2020
Bleep d govt. You can't be embezzling money without doing anything at the expense of those who are actualling doing the real job. Do you know d risks this doctors have taken during this pandemic. Yet what was allocated to them was a peanut of 5k as hazard allowance while d task force who are just sitting down and shaking mouth for how many minutes take home sitting allowance of 500k and u still threaten them. May d almighty God I serve punish this govt. Amen.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Ipromote: 10:09am On Jun 17, 2020
A nation ruled by ediots will suffer cry

5 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by yeyeboi(m): 10:10am On Jun 17, 2020
Ok
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by dapsoneh: 10:10am On Jun 17, 2020
They want to import doctors from Burundi

7 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by ojun50(m): 10:10am On Jun 17, 2020
Mumu government go and take action na

2 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by abyus15: 10:11am On Jun 17, 2020
Since d day we returned to democracy have never seen a useless government like that of buhari and Apc those people are complete animals shiorrr

7 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Atomemmy(m): 10:11am On Jun 17, 2020
Chai
Could you imagine the effontry this government has. So, because I'm an employee to you, my rights should now be stamped upon.
Well, I don't blame you, you have everything at your disposal, that you now neglect the plights of the poor.
Fulfill the demand of the doctors, only then could you command them to return within 24 hours.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by jds30: 10:12am On Jun 17, 2020
s
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by OLDESTWARRIBOY4: 10:12am On Jun 17, 2020
Make dem dey dere dey threaten themselves, who go treat dem audio corona virus patients?

4 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by crossfm: 10:12am On Jun 17, 2020
As we speak now Mr president is shock.but wait oh,where are all the people carryout protest during the last administration. Abi they are also shocked by the events playing out now.

2 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Surrender: 10:13am On Jun 17, 2020
Good morning, I am a qualified driver based in Abuja. I am looking for someone who is willing to lease his/her car out for Uber driving job. Be rest assured that your car will be in a safe hand.

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Cmanforall: 10:13am On Jun 17, 2020
If truly the leadership of the country is honest, the donations and loans collected during this period would have revived the healthcare system. But this seems otherwise.
Issuing threats is not a solution. Should they succumb and return to work, I bet that their output and services will be far below average necessitating the abuse health workers receive from the public.

3 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by africandictator(m): 10:13am On Jun 17, 2020
Nigerian politicians feel Nigerians do not deserve the good things of life. I don’t blame them because it’s the truth!

3 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Nobody: 10:13am On Jun 17, 2020
Lost Addict

1 Like

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by heykims(m): 10:13am On Jun 17, 2020
Irresponsible and insensitive govt. If it was to allocate billions for pest control or building renovation, they will heed.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Coronavirus Can Remain In The Air For 30 Minutes - Chinese Scientists / Coronavirus: PM Abe Asks Japan Schools To Close Over Disease / I Need Cure For Pimples And Acme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.