Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,140 members, 7,849,567 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:15 AM

NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD (25515 Views)

The Strike Continues As FG Threatens No Work No Pay For Doctors / Kano Govt Playing Politics With COVID-19 - NARD, NMA, AMLSN / NMA, NARD Threaten To Withdraw Services Over Invitation Of Chinese Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Angelfrost(m): 11:14am On Jun 17, 2020
Of course, leave it to Nigerian government to threaten needed and indispensable health professionals in the midst of a pandemic... undecided

This is what happens when you have buffoons leading a nation of enlightened citizens.

Then again... What kinda enlightened citizens elect morons as leaders??!... Naija!!! undecided

2 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by sacajawea: 11:21am On Jun 17, 2020
Picardor2:
An OPEN LETTER To The Honorable Minister Of Health Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria

Dear Honorable Minister,

I bring you very warm greetings from my family and all men of good will who wish you well in office and who hope that you would leave your feet marks on the sands of time in the Federal Ministry of Health when this job comes to an end.

I am writing to you through this medium, not only as a concerned Medical Doctor ( an Elder for that matter) but also because I am a Past President of NARD - the Association currently on strike.

I do not want to bore you with the history of the Nigerian health sector and how little progress we have made since 1960 because I know that in your exalted position as the Honorable Minister of Health, you are already conversant with that history.

I also do not want to bore you with the struggles embarked by the NARD since 1982 to better the lot of Nigerian Health Sector and the healthcare manpower.

What has ignited the fire in me to write you is the pronouncement made on National Television by your very good self threatening to sack all and any of the striking Medical Doctors if they do not go back to work by Wednesday the 17th day of June 2020.

Honorable Minister
The path you are threading now is one which many of your predecessors trod in times past and it did not yield any fruits at all.

It's an old weather beaten path which has neither generated good will nor solved any problems, rather it had always created more problems.

I am certainly sure that the Honorable Minister knows very well that NARD is the fulcrum of health care service delivery in Nigeria and whatever will affect its membership would surely derail any plans at improving the health care sector which your good office has envisaged in this your time.

And so, if NARD is on strike, it only means that she has explored all avenues at peacefully reconciling the differences between her and the Government of President Muhammadu Buhari and as the Honorable Minister of Health, your responsibility is to protect the interest of the Government and the Health care workers. So when you issue a threat of sack on the Doctors, it is akin to reading the riot act and that is only practicable in a Military setting. We are practicing a civilian democracy (I hope we are) and such approaches at commanding and threatening are tools that will always fail because they negate the rights of the individuals to express themselves freely.

COVID - 19 happened on Nigeria and the Government entered into an MOU to ensure that Medical Doctors and other health care workers are adequately protected. Information at my disposal has it that up until now, the hazard allowance is yet to be paid (3 months after the MOU was signed), the PPE is yet to be made universally available and accessible, the Life and accident insurance scheme is yet to be activated and the people talked and shouted so much that their voices became hoarse and then they decided to withdraw their services as that is the only tool they have; what do we have as the first reaction - a threat to sack!

As I write, more than 150 Medical Doctors excluding other health care workers have tested positive to the corona virus and quite a number has died.

Honorable Minister
You do not beat a child and ask him not to cry

As an Elder, I took a long look at the matter and decided to write you to offer a piece of advise which though is completely unsolicited for. And I am doing this because my people say that "An Elder does not sit at home and watch a she-goat deliver with ropes round her neck"

I want to advise that the Honorable Minister kindly withdraws the threat to sack Resident Doctors, engage them in a dialogue through extraordinary means and find a quick solution to the reasons why they went on strike in the first place.

That to me is what can help this matter at this stage

I thank you for reading and do kindly accept the assurances of my highest regards

Dr. Jerry - the First Oguzie: JP
Abuja
Are you really a Former NARD President?
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Openbusiness: 11:21am On Jun 17, 2020
Gandollar:
Buhari has not known peace since 2015 he assumed office.

Karma is a bitch!
It is Nigeria that has not known peace since Borrowhari regime started. His regime is always creating problems for this country week after week

2 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Surrender: 11:38am On Jun 17, 2020
kafeii123:

I don't know really... Just do a little looking around on the app... Or try googling Uber Abuja Twitter or any variants of same text... I'm sure you'll come up with something

I am not use to that app but I am going to definitely try it. I really appreciate your concern. God bless you
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by SeniorGee(m): 11:43am On Jun 17, 2020
Thus doctors are the architects obtheir own failure. The superiority complex the exhibit over other health care workers have sharply divided the sector and their strike will not be too effective because the others are still working, even consultant doctors. Let all healthcare givers come under one umbrella and hold the govt for blokos, dem go beg ni.
If they like let dem all be deceiving deirself.
Almighty God got my back, and has showed me the efficacy of herbs

1 Like

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Correcto: 11:48am On Jun 17, 2020
Doctors are very greedy even while the earn highest in the health sector. Why are nurses, lab scientists, Pharmacists, etc not on strike? Does it mean FG have solved all their problems? FG does not care but doctors also don't care. I wonder if soldiers who pay supreme price on a repeat and consistently goes on strike like this. No should ever compare the Soldiers' Frontline and doctors' Frontline again, they are not same.
valentineuwakwe:
The Federal government has threatened to take action against any resident doctor on its payroll who fails to resume work today, June 17.

Recall that NARD had embarked on a nationwide strike on Monday due to the Federal Government’s failure to meet demands made by the association.

A negotiation meeting convened by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige with the Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire, and the leadership of the Resident doctors, ended in a deadlock on Tuesday after many hours of deliberation.

Ngige, during the meeting, stated that health workers are the essential frontline officers during the coronavirus pandemic and have suffered great mishaps across the country.

According to him, the major issues have been taken care of, while other minor issues will also be taken care of.

He said “We have paid those allowances since last night and it was directly paid into the account of recipients.

“We are also hopeful that between the IPPIS office and the Central Bank, that before 24 hours they would all be credited for April and May.

“The payment wasn’t made for only Resident Doctors, but also for consultants, nurses, pharmacists, physiologist, mortuary attendants, ICU centers, and all health care workers in coronavirus designated hospitals and all Federal Medical Centres in designate states.

“We assumed that these issues have been settled because IPPIS has shown evidence.

“We have also agreed on matters that are in court, that we should step them down so that we do not enter areas that are in the purviews of the court.

“Also, on the issue of group life insurance and the employee compensation, they have been paid and we have equally said that they have no right to make claim for the resident doctors or any other health workers that must have had a mishap in the cause of work resulting in death.

“For those who do not die or have mishap or accidents in the cause of their work but became incapacitated, they can always make claims through the Employee Compensation Act, which the Federal Government have already activated.

The appropriation for residence program has been captured in the 2021 budget and would roll over from 2020,” he said.

Also, Dr. Ehanire Osagie, while speaking said that Nigeria was the first country in the world where doctors went on strike during a global pandemic.

“The health of Nigerians is very important at this crucial time and we will ensure that the lives of Nigerians are protected, therefore, we will not allow our hospitals to be fallow.

“At this point, the health workforce is essential services and we have pleaded and have equally done everything to meet the demands that are being made by them.

“We at the Ministry of Health are ready to protect the lives of Nigerians, and we are not going to allow our hospitals to do otherwise.

“The resident doctors have told us that they are not returning to work very soon until certain conditions are met and truth be told, they cannot keep extending the goal post any time they like.

”So, Wednesday morning, those who report to work will be taken as those who are still in service, and the register will be taken and closed at 12 noon and by then we will know who wants to still be in service,” Ehanire said.

However, the doctors refused to return to the meeting after a recess was taken.

NAN reports that the National President, Dr. Aliyu Sokomba while speaking with newsmen, said that the doctors would only call off the ongoing action within 24 hours if the government brings something tangible to the table.

“This is the only way that the strike can be ended within 24 hours,” he said,

source: https://dailypost.ng/2020/06/17/nationwide-strike-fg-threatens-actions-against-nard/
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Correcto: 11:50am On Jun 17, 2020
Doctors not health professionals, because Nurses and other are not on strike
Angelfrost:
Of course, leave it to Nigerian government to threaten needed and indispensable health professionals in the midst of a pandemic... undecided

This is what happens when you have buffoons leading a nation of enlightened citizens.

Then again... What kinda enlightened citizens elect morons as leaders??!... Naija!!! undecided
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Princedapace(m): 11:50am On Jun 17, 2020
We play too much in this country. The old politicians are using us to play!

U pay ur selves allowances and salaries that amount to millions monthly and u cant even do same for doctors!

U guys better cut ur salaries to what u pay our doctors. That is the only way we can take u people serious.

Very shameless people.

2 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Correcto: 11:51am On Jun 17, 2020
Doctors make alot of threats too
Gondonu:
Instead of the government to dialogue, it's using threat.Is that not stupid?)
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by ShoeShineGuy: 11:59am On Jun 17, 2020
Rotfl.. That shiii stunts adults used to pull on us when we were kids.
inoki247:
You beat pikin u still tell am mak e no cry
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by ChelseaDr(m): 12:02pm On Jun 17, 2020
Picardor2:
An OPEN LETTER To The Honorable Minister Of Health Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria

Dear Honorable Minister,

I bring you very warm greetings from my family and all men of good will who wish you well in office and who hope that you would leave your feet marks on the sands of time in the Federal Ministry of Health when this job comes to an end.

I am writing to you through this medium, not only as a concerned Medical Doctor ( an Elder for that matter) but also because I am a Past President of NARD - the Association currently on strike.

I do not want to bore you with the history of the Nigerian health sector and how little progress we have made since 1960 because I know that in your exalted position as the Honorable Minister of Health, you are already conversant with that history.

I also do not want to bore you with the struggles embarked by the NARD since 1982 to better the lot of Nigerian Health Sector and the healthcare manpower.

What has ignited the fire in me to write you is the pronouncement made on National Television by your very good self threatening to sack all and any of the striking Medical Doctors if they do not go back to work by Wednesday the 17th day of June 2020.

Honorable Minister
The path you are threading now is one which many of your predecessors trod in times past and it did not yield any fruits at all.

It's an old weather beaten path which has neither generated good will nor solved any problems, rather it had always created more problems.

I am certainly sure that the Honorable Minister knows very well that NARD is the fulcrum of health care service delivery in Nigeria and whatever will affect its membership would surely derail any plans at improving the health care sector which your good office has envisaged in this your time.

And so, if NARD is on strike, it only means that she has explored all avenues at peacefully reconciling the differences between her and the Government of President Muhammadu Buhari and as the Honorable Minister of Health, your responsibility is to protect the interest of the Government and the Health care workers. So when you issue a threat of sack on the Doctors, it is akin to reading the riot act and that is only practicable in a Military setting. We are practicing a civilian democracy (I hope we are) and such approaches at commanding and threatening are tools that will always fail because they negate the rights of the individuals to express themselves freely.

COVID - 19 happened on Nigeria and the Government entered into an MOU to ensure that Medical Doctors and other health care workers are adequately protected. Information at my disposal has it that up until now, the hazard allowance is yet to be paid (3 months after the MOU was signed), the PPE is yet to be made universally available and accessible, the Life and accident insurance scheme is yet to be activated and the people talked and shouted so much that their voices became hoarse and then they decided to withdraw their services as that is the only tool they have; what do we have as the first reaction - a threat to sack!

As I write, more than 150 Medical Doctors excluding other health care workers have tested positive to the corona virus and quite a number has died.

Honorable Minister
You do not beat a child and ask him not to cry

As an Elder, I took a long look at the matter and decided to write you to offer a piece of advise which though is completely unsolicited for. And I am doing this because my people say that "An Elder does not sit at home and watch a she-goat deliver with ropes round her neck"

I want to advise that the Honorable Minister kindly withdraws the threat to sack Resident Doctors, engage them in a dialogue through extraordinary means and find a quick solution to the reasons why they went on strike in the first place.

That to me is what can help this matter at this stage

I thank you for reading and do kindly accept the assurances of my highest regards

Dr. Jerry - the First Oguzie: JP
Abuja

This is apt. I do hope the Hon Minister will have time to read this.

May I Al's ask for your permission Sir, to copy and use this in other platforms. Thanks in anticipation Sir.
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by abbiboy: 12:02pm On Jun 17, 2020
Edihurt if they didn't threaten to go on strike u wouldn't do the needful,do ur worst u can't threaten them bcus dey don't live on govt pay.
Mumu minister.
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Angelfrost(m): 12:17pm On Jun 17, 2020
Correcto:
Doctors not health professionals, because Nurses and other are not on strike

I stand corrected sir.
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by dumodust(m): 12:31pm On Jun 17, 2020
Correcto:
Doctors are very greedy even while the earn highest in the health sector. Why are nurses, lab scientists, Pharmacists, etc not on strike? Does it mean FG have solved all their problems? FG does not care but doctors also don't care. I wonder if soldiers who pay supreme price on a repeat and consistently goes on strike like this. No should ever compare the Soldiers' Frontline and doctors' Frontline again, they are not same.
Stick to being the cowards you are and stop moaning about the people leading the charge.
Bloody cowards, like nurses, lab scientists and pharmacists are not dying. Keep scurrying around behind, we are not afraid to take charge and do the dirty work for the benefit of all. That's leadership, not constant moaning and trying to be what you're not.
If you feel the demands of the docs are not in keeping with your sentiments, pls refund the federal government when the hazard allowance and other benefits come.
We are talking of people dying, and you are hear playing this stupid politics that you will forever be on the losing side.
May your bitterness be your burial

2 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by dumodust(m): 12:33pm On Jun 17, 2020
Angelfrost:

I stand corrected sir.
Don't stand corrected anything... Doctors are the top health professionals.
These ones just appropriated the name for registering trade union so that they can feel satisfied
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Picardor2: 12:34pm On Jun 17, 2020
Pls say what ur sure of. No dey yan nonsense. Do u think what they are requesting for just for them. Is for all health workers which includes those u called. I don't knw why ppl don't read and just start talking. U shud asking are other health workers not on strike. Is simple. The Drs fight for them too. Have u asked ursef why only in Nigeria. Are Drs in Ghana complaining. So better stop talking if u have nothing to say.
Correcto:

2 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Correcto: 12:36pm On Jun 17, 2020
You are currently frustrated. When you calm down, take time to read what you wrote. And note that the last sentence in your comment is for you and your family.
dumodust:

Stick to being the cowards you are and stop moaning about the people leading the charge.
Bloody cowards, like nurses, lab scientists and pharmacists are not dying. Keep scurrying around behind, we are not afraid to take charge and do the dirty work for the benefit of all. That's leadership, not constant moaning and trying to be what you're not.
If you feel the demands of the docs are not in keeping with your sentiments, pls refund the federal government when the hazard allowance and other benefits come.
We are talking of people dying, and you are hear playing this stupid politics that you will forever be on the losing side.
May your bitterness be your burial
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Picardor2: 12:36pm On Jun 17, 2020
Pls say what ur sure of. No dey yan nonsense. Do u think what they are requesting for is just for them. Is for all health workers which includes those u called. I don't knw why ppl don't read and just start talking. U shud asking why are other health workers not on strike. Is simple. The Drs fight for them too. Have u asked ursef why only in Nigeria. Why are Drs in Ghana complaining? So better stop talking if u have nothing to say.
Correcto:
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by IJEYdiamond(f): 12:37pm On Jun 17, 2020
Threatens who!!... 27 billion for building and deduction of the budget for health also lowing or lower standards and reduced budget for Education.. Threaten Fire!!...

Please Travel aboard if you are tired grin well if they will grant you guys entry!!!....... The ogas and FG should volunteer to work in the health sector... without PPE.. for a start.. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Correcto: 12:41pm On Jun 17, 2020
Lol, doctors fight for other health care professionals sounds sarcastic. From a research, which is still ongoing, it is clear superiority complex is a big issue with doctors in Nigeria, which part of the reason FG joke with the health sector. Remember, a doctor is the minister of health. Doctors care about themselves alone. If there was unity in the health sector, FG will not dare to even threaten you guys or other health care professionals.
Picardor2:
Pls say what ur sure of. No dey yan nonsense. Do u think what they are requesting for just for them. Is for all health workers which includes those u called. I don't knw why ppl don't read and just start talking. U shud asking are other health workers not on strike. Is simple. The Drs fight for them too. Have u asked ursef why only in Nigeria. Are Drs in Ghana complaining. So better stop talking if u have nothing to say.
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by dumodust(m): 12:51pm On Jun 17, 2020
Correcto:
You are currently frustrated. When you calm down, take time to read what you wrote. And note that the last sentence in your comment is for you and your family.
You my friend are the frustrated one
Please check all doctor threads and you will discover if you didn't know before that you're always there moaning.
Check now and find mental help because you are obsessed with these ideas in your head. The advancements in salaries that the healthcare sector has ever experienced till date is by the push of the doctors, not you. But that's not the issue today
Here we are talking about sensitive national issues as regards the safety of people's lives and you're here polluting the thread with your bitter presence.
For once don't type anything if you have nothing sensible or technical to add and stick to whatever thread that concerns you.
And I repeat... Your frustration is your burial
And if you ever make a trivial stupid delusional comment again as pertaining to so called healthcare sector rivalry in this period of pandemic, may covid find you and teach you lessons
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Correcto: 1:00pm On Jun 17, 2020
Lol you are gradually killing yourself. You need help. Drink water and take a deep breath. Don't kill your self, rather allow Covid19 do it for you. Doctors' superiority complex led to an unending health sector rivalry, leaving the entire health sector in shambles, enabling FG to mess with it.
dumodust:

You my friend are the frustrated one
Please check all doctor threads and you will discover if you didn't know before that you're always there moaning.
Check now and find mental help because you are obsessed with these ideas in your head.
Here we are talking about sensitive national issues as regards the safety of people's lives and you're here polluting the thread with your bitter presence.
For once don't type anything if you have nothing sensible or technical to add and stick to whatever thread that concerns you.
And I repeat... Your frustration is your burial
And if you ever make a trivial stupid delusional comment again as pertaining to so called healthcare sector rivalry in this period of pandemic, may covid find you and teach you lessons
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jun 17, 2020
lilprinze:
They have the money, they should better pay these guys their money, they have worked for it. What is wrong with these greedy people sef? In other parts of the world healthcare workers are treasured and honored, but in Nigeria the government shares the money between themselves and make their workers suffer like slaves.

They re not politicians! Only politicians matter in Nigeria.
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jun 17, 2020
dumodust:

Don't stand corrected anything... Doctors are the top health professionals.
These ones just appropriated the name for registering trade union so that they can feel satisfied

Oh please don't insult our collective intelligence, Nigerian doctors are not professionals, there is nothing professional about them.

They re touts with stethoscopes, you haven't been to a hospital so can it.
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Atittude: 2:03pm On Jun 17, 2020
Useless country, don't know why our government is always discouraging her citizens from reading a course like this.
Just to pay doctors is a very big issue and they end up spending money on things that are unnecessary
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by SavageMaster: 2:05pm On Jun 17, 2020
sacajawea:

Are you really a Former NARD President?

If he discloses his full names, you can check
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Bewiseedet(m): 2:42pm On Jun 17, 2020
Gandollar:
Buhari has not known peace since 2015 he assumed office.

Karma is a bitch!
no be lie.

1 Like

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by onyxo76(m): 3:11pm On Jun 17, 2020
Correcto:
the other health workers are already warming up those in benue state started yesterday.

1 Like

Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jun 17, 2020
obonujoker:
There's nothing you can do.

You stupid politicians will all die finish ni.... Theives. Turned the country to a zoo
Unfortunately they wouldn't die soon, the mistake was to vote for them in the first place.
Re: NARD Nationwide Strike: FG Threatens Actions Against NARD by obonujoker(m): 3:27pm On Jun 17, 2020
quentin06:

Oh please don't insult our collective intelligence, Nigerian doctors are not professionals, there is nothing professional about them.

They re touts with stethoscopes, you haven't been to a hospital so can it.

A country like this made them touts... If a doctor doesn't have a hard heart in Nigeria, na hunger go finish am...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Diagnostic Centres In Nigeria / I Need Cure For Pimples And Acme / Coronavirus: PM Abe Asks Japan Schools To Close Over Disease

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.