Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,207 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. (1673 Views)

Re: Tinubu Others, Kill Kogi Guber Candidate -Okorocha / All Progressive Congress (APC) Party: ANPP, CPC, ACN And APGA Finally Merged / CPC & ACN Merger Faces Challenge From Stakeholders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by nduchucks: 3:00pm On Jan 26, 2011
There are various news reports of strong indications that the alliance talks between the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) and the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) would be sealed in the next few days.

While the parties seem to be moving towards a deal that could concede the presidential ticket to former military head of state, General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd.), the Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu-led-ACN is insisting on producing Buhari’s running mate.

I had expected APGA to have made a strategic political move/gesture towards ACN for inclusion in the alliance talks. APGA could then argue that the best chance of the coalition defeating GEJ would be to produce the VP in the person of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, for example.

The current crop of leaders from the SE are a disappointment to say the least, I sincerely wish Ojukwu were in good health at the moment because he would have not allowed our region in the SE to be relegated to a position of irrelevancy, so quickly. What a shame! 

Once again, congratulations in advance to GEJ. GEJ will defeat any Buhari ticket with a VP from the SW because Ndigbo will not vote en mass for such a ticket.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by jason123: 3:08pm On Jan 26, 2011
@ OP

That buhari and ACN ticket does not need the APGA to win, believe me. If ACN delivers the SW including EDO and Buhari some Northern states, then, the APGA inclusion would be unncessary. If APGA was to join in anycase, it would ENSURE the victory and make the newly formed party a national party.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by jason123: 3:09pm On Jan 26, 2011
Moreover, APGA cannot deliver all the SE undecided
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by nduchucks: 3:12pm On Jan 26, 2011
jason123:

Moreover, APGA cannot deliver all the SE undecided

One must never underestimate GEJ's resolve to win this election. He may actually get more votes in the North than most people may expect - every vote matters including the ones APGA can deliver.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by jason123: 3:17pm On Jan 26, 2011
ndu_chucks:

One must never underestimate GEJ's resolve to win this election. He may actually get more votes in the North than most people may expect - every vote matters including the ones APGA can deliver.

. . . but at the expense of losing an ACN VP ticket?? I really doubt it. Although, I would love such a combination (all paries mentioned) but if APGA is pushing for a VP position, then, ACN would think its pointless since they (ACN) are the only party with a block vote which includes EDO. But Buhari might also sweep the NW undecided
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by nduchucks: 3:22pm On Jan 26, 2011
@jason123, it appeas that all the potential and viable VP candidates from the SW are moslems,e.g. Tinubu and Fashola. Buhari/Tinubu or Buhari/Fashola ticket is not tenable. Who are the possble VP candidates from the SW in your view?
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by dayokanu(m): 3:28pm On Jan 26, 2011
That is a sensible opinion.

Its the ACN and the name of the candidate doesn't matter. As long as the ACN candidate has the blessing of the ACN he would get the vote.

Who was Sylvester Ugo before Bashir Tofa made him VP candidate? And he was able to deliver 3 out of 4 SE states in 1993
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by jason123: 3:29pm On Jan 26, 2011
ndu_chucks:

@jason123, it appeas that all the potential and viable VP candidates from the SW are moslems,e.g. Tinubu and Fashola.  Buhari/Tinubu or Buhari/Fashola ticket is not tenable. Who are the possble VP candidates from the SW in your view?

Why is it not tenable? Assuming that the SS and SE do not vote for the new party, and SW do not care about religion as the rest of the country do (they vote for anyone who is yoruba undecided lipsrsealed).Then, if a Muslim/ Muslim ticket is presented, it would even be better because they would win more votes in the north coupled with the SW and Edo(ND). It would be one of their best combination.

The vp position . . . .  maybe, Tinubu (although, if picked, he would lose the SW. Fact. The reason is that he would be viewed as a greedy and power hungry man (remember, he is not liked so well in the SW)), Adam oshimole* (maybe), . . .Those are the only people I can see for now.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by houvest: 4:04pm On Jan 26, 2011
I dey laugh ooo.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by johndoe200: 4:46pm On Jan 26, 2011
jason123:

Why is it not tenable? Assuming that the SS and SE do not vote for the new party, and SW do not care about religion as the rest of the country do (they vote for anyone who is yoruba undecided lipsrsealed).Then, if a Muslim/ Muslim ticket is presented, it would even be better because they would win more votes in the north coupled with the SW and Edo(ND). It would be one of their best combination.

The vp position . . . .  maybe, Tinubu (although, if picked, he would lose the SW. Fact. The reason is that he would be viewed as a greedy and power hungry man (remember, he is not liked so well in the SW)), Adam oshimole* (maybe), . . .Those are the only people I can see for now.

Imagine that PDP voluntarily disbanded, and all the voters became mentally confused. Also imagine that a cow jumped over the moon. Isn't imagination great!!!

When you can't do in reality, you start to fantasize.

We dey laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by maclatunji: 5:12pm On Jan 26, 2011
johndoe200:

Imagine that PDP voluntarily disbanded, and all the voters became mentally confused. Also imagine that a cow jumped over the moon. Isn't imagination great!!!

When you can't do in reality, you start to fantasize.

We dey laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, you will pay if I damage my laptop from the spontaneous laughter I got from the cow jumping over the moon part.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by EkoIle1: 5:20pm On Jan 26, 2011
ndu_chucks:

There are various news reports of strong indications that the alliance talks between the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) and the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) would be sealed in the next few days.

While the parties seem to be moving towards a deal that could concede the presidential ticket to former military head of state, General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd.), the Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu-led-ACN is insisting on producing Buhari’s running mate.

I had expected APGA to have made a strategic political move/gesture towards ACN for inclusion in the alliance talks. APGA could then argue that the best chance of the coalition defeating GEJ would be to produce the VP in the person of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, for example.

The current crop of leaders from the SE are a disappointment to say the least, I sincerely wish Ojukwu were in good health at the moment because he would have not allowed our region in the SE to be relegated to a position of irrelevancy, so quickly. What a shame! 

Once again, congratulations in advance to GEJ. GEJ will defeat any Buhari ticket with a VP from the SW because Ndigbo will not vote en mass for such a ticket.

But why do you people fuss and fight when we highlight and make the same observation? Is is just a tribal pride and just don't want to hear it from Yoruba people.

Well, carry on and sorry for the interruption.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by nduchucks: 5:43pm On Jan 26, 2011
Eko Ile:

But why do you people fuss and fight when we highlight and make the same observation? Is is just a tribal pride and just don't want to hear it from Yoruba people.

Awon wo ni "you people"? abi o mu oti yo ni? Carry your bigotry out of here jor. Ode Iddo
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by Beaf: 5:57pm On Jan 26, 2011
There is no permutation that ACN and CPC can make to win the elections. It just seems like a really tall dream; they just aren't ready.
All the hopes for a PDP implosion or mass exodus have perished, because those who made the threats have done the raw calculations and found there is no place like home, so to speak.

Any party that means to challenge the PDP is better of not giving posts to wives, girlfriends and family members.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by EkoIle1: 6:04pm On Jan 26, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Awon wo ni "you people"? abi o mu oti yo ni? Carry your bigotry out of here jor. Ode Iddo

What's bigotry got to do with highlighting the same observation you yourself just made? Sounds like you are a bigot too,

Ode buruku
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by houvest: 6:18pm On Jan 26, 2011
Nduchuks  do you see now what I have been telling you to change your user name to a fulani sounding one. Newbies  keep mistaking you for Igbo because of your user name and by extention your opinions as those of Ndigbo. Quit the deception bro.

Eko Ile:

ndu_chucks:

Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by Chyz2: 6:24pm On Jan 26, 2011
I don't know why but every time i think of jason when anything about Igbo comes up, i think of an image of a mad redish-eyed cartoon character pulling his hair out.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by nduchucks: 6:32pm On Jan 26, 2011
@houvest, only bigots, intellectual midgets and dummies think that thoughts of Nigerians shold always along tribal or ethnic lines.  Does being a progressive or nationalist mean anything to you?  And what does fulani name have to do with anything? olodo

@Eko Ile, you don't get it,do you? Funny guy, OK ma binu  cheesy
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by jason123: 6:40pm On Jan 26, 2011
Chyz*:

I don't know why but every time i think of jason when anything about Igbo comes up, i think of an image of a mad redish-eyed cartoon character pulling his hair out.

grin grin grin grin. A question came up and I answered it. SIMPLE! cheesy
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by Katsumoto: 9:21pm On Jan 26, 2011
jason123:

. . . but at the expense of losing an ACN VP ticket?? I really doubt it. Although, I would love such a combination (all paries mentioned) but if APGA is pushing for a VP position, then, ACN would think its pointless since they (ACN) are the only party with a block vote which includes EDO. But Buhari might also sweep the NW undecided

Sometimes, it is better to be a kingmaker than to be a king. I actually think the best arrangement will involve ACN putting forward Ribadu (capturing some votes in the North) and APGA putting forward a serious candidate (someone similar to Okonj-Iweala) for VP. That combination will give real competition to GEJ. It doesn't make sense going with Buhari because he is not electable in the South. If ACN presents Buhari, most southerners will simply vote GEJ. Ribadu with someone credible from the SE will split PDP in the SE/SS. ACN is bound to carry votes in the SW as long as the candidate is electable. GEJ and Ribadu are electable but I think Buhari isn't. Just my opinion.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by dayokanu(m): 9:29pm On Jan 26, 2011
^^ Katsumoto.

In the assumption, Ribadu-Okonjo,

Which party does Okonjo Iweala belong to? And secondly this union is hoping to ONLY get bloc votes from the SW, Whats in it for the SW to vote en masse for them?

The GEJ-Sambo doesnt hold anything for SW, Now you propose another combo which does the same thing.

On what platform does Okonjo want to stand to contest for election, Does she even have a base in the SE?

That combo I think is too idealistic and might not win votes. Ribadu doesnt even have enough clout in the North to defeat GEJ. Ribadu is not a grassroot man and can only get sympathy of the elites.

Personally I think Buhari sells better in the North, Moreover its futile to think GEJ would lose any SS state excpet maybe Edo(Which is even a doubt) regardless of who you put out
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by nduchucks: 9:32pm On Jan 26, 2011
Katsumoto:

Sometimes, it is better to be a kingmaker than to be a king. I actually think the best arrangement will involve ACN putting forward Ribadu (capturing some votes in the North) and APGA putting forward a serious candidate (someone similar to Okonj-Iweala) for VP. That combination will give real competition to GEJ. It doesn't make sense going with Buhari because he is not electable in the South. If ACN presents Buhari, most southerners will simply vote GEJ. Ribadu with someone credible from the SE will split PDP in the SE/SS. ACN is bound to carry votes in the SW as long as the candidate is electable. GEJ and Ribadu are electable but I think Buhari isn't. Just my opinion.

I completely agree with your opinion. A ticket such as Ribadu/Okonjo-Iweala may be the winning combination for this coalition. I suspect that, like Azikwe, Buhari will put his personal interest ahead of national interest and refuse to step down for Ribadu - thus my advance congratulations were offered to GEJ for winning the election.

@dayokanu, Okonjo could switch to ACN faster than Autie Dora made her switch. Ideally, Buhari would throw his support and weight behind Ribadu.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by Katsumoto: 9:38pm On Jan 26, 2011
dayokanu:

^^ Katsumoto.

In the assumption, Ribadu-Okonjo,

Which party does Okonjo Iweala belong to? And secondly this union is hoping to ONLY get bloc votes from the SW, Whats in it for the SW to vote en masse for them?

The GEJ-Sambo doesnt hold anything for SW, Now you propose another combo which does the same thing.

On what platform does Okonjo want to stand to contest for election, Does she even have a base in the SE?

That combo I think is too idealistic and might not win votes. Ribadu doesnt even have enough clout in the North to defeat GEJ. Ribadu is not a grassroot man and can only get sympathy of the elites.

Personally I think Buhari sells better in the North, Moreover its futile to think GEJ would lose any SS state excpet maybe Edo(Which is even a doubt) regardless of who you put out

The SW will be compensated with appointments. I can't disagree with what you are saying; I am just thinking aloud. But believe Buhari will get votes in the North but zilch in the south. A three-way contest can go anyway; it isn't guaranteed for anyone but a two-way will give the ticket to PDP.

I think a credible Igbo person will get votes in the SE. The only two Northerners that can get votes in the south are Ribadu and maybe el-rufai. Atiku, IBB, Buhari are seen as part of the problems of the past.

I am not too confident anyway.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by Onlytruth(m): 10:03pm On Jan 26, 2011
After going through comments on this thread, I really think that folks are underestimating the extent of GEJ followership in Eastern Nigeria. I don't think there is any person in the East for now that can upstage GEJ. Sorry guys.
It is GEJ all the way - Enugu, Ebonyi, Anambra, Delta, Cross river, Akwa-Ibom, Rivers, Imo and Abia.

Like ndu_chucks said, he will even get votes in the North. The SW is also very much in play for him.

So, his victory is chiseled on titanium.  cool cool
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by Abagworo(m): 10:13pm On Jan 26, 2011
The election has already been rigged and won by PDP.The registration remains a grand plan that has worked.That said I want to congratulate all PDP aspirants apart from Sylva.I sign out.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by Beaf: 10:17pm On Jan 26, 2011
Katsumoto:

Ribadu wouldn't even capture his own LG. The only area where he has some grassroots support is the SW, but even that is very shacky; drivers, vulcanisers, carpenters and bricklayers will vote GEJ.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by jason123: 10:21pm On Jan 26, 2011
Abagworo:

[b[size=14pt]]The election has already been rigged and won by PDP[/size][/b].The registration remains a grand plan that has worked.That said I want to congratulate all PDP aspirants apart from Sylva.I sign out.

GOD BLESS YOU!!!
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by houvest: 12:29am On Jan 27, 2011
Abagworo:

The election has already been rigged and won by PDP.The registration remains a grand plan that has worked.That said I want to congratulate all PDP aspirants apart from Sylva.I sign out.
#
You really do not get it do you? PDP does not need to rig to win. No formidable oppposition to GEJ. Only IBB could have tried something but Ciroma neutralized him for GEJ
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by johndoe200: 3:12am On Jan 27, 2011
houvest:

#
You really do not get it do you? PDP does not need to rig to win. No formidable oppposition to GEJ. Only IBB could have tried something but Ciroma neutralized him for GEJ

They get it. The problem is to acknowledge a painful truth.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by houvest: 7:54am On Jan 27, 2011
ndu_chucks:

@houvest, only bigots, intellectual midgets and dummies think that thoughts of Nigerians shold always along tribal or ethnic lines.  Does being a progressive or nationalist mean anything to you?  And what does fulani name have to do with anything? olodo

@Eko Ile, you don't get it,do you? Funny guy, OK ma binu  cheesy 

ROTFLMAO. Nduchucks the fulani subversive of Ndigbo suddenly claims to be progressive and Nationalistic because of his advocacy of a Buhari/Ribadu or a North/SW Combo. When was your Damascus experience? Your Feudal and imperialistic fulani agenda is not sowell concealed in this fake epiphany. grin
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by Beaf: 10:02am On Jan 27, 2011
houvest:

ROTFLMAO. Nduchucks the fulani subversive of Ndigbo suddenly claims to be progressive and Nationalistic because of his advocacy of a Buhari/Ribadu or a North/SW Combo. When was your Damascus experience? Your Feudal and imperialistic fulani agenda is not sowell concealed in this fake epiphany. grin

Tell am jare! Meanwhile his real fires are burning closer to home.
Re: CPC/ACN Alliance: Tinubu, Others Demand S/west V-president Slot. SE Relegated. by nduchucks: 10:30am On Jan 27, 2011
houvest:

You and many others like you are incapable or have great difficulty in discussing issues facing Nigeria through a prism other than a tribal, ethnic, or regional one. This ailment is so bad that many of you can never see anything wrong with politicians as long as the politicians are from your region. You have erroneously concluded that I have a feudal and imperialistic fulani agenda and that I am an advocate of a Buhari/Ribadu or North/SW Combo. It suffices to say that you are completely wrong on both counts, but I respect your opinion nontheless.

I reserve the right to comment on any issue regardless of what you tribal bigots may think. As for the Ole n tel'Alfa, Mallam Beef, the day you can name a single fault of GEJ's, will be the day that pigs will fly through Ughelli.

houvest, carry ya wahala go, I will not vote for PDP no matter how angry you become, call me all the names you wish. The issue is about Nigeria for me and not some tribal interest. olodo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mambila Hydroelectric Power, Abuja-kaduna Railway Projects, Makes Top 100 Global / Is President Mahama Hiding $170 Million In Swiss Account?,ghana CORRUPTION / Why I Sacked Youth Minister –jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.