Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

What Is Happening To My Decking? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is Happening To My Decking? (55646 Views)

See What Is Happening In The Compound l Am Living In. / Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? / Estimated Cost Of Decking My House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Aghaclem67: 7:07am On Jun 19, 2020
So long as water percolates on the decking that is what you expect. Put a roof over it and it will stop. It always happens wherever there is decking used as tank stand and that is a common mistake putting water tank on your building. To avoid this it is either you construct a separate tank stand or you cover it with a roof.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by iyke4(m): 7:08am On Jun 19, 2020
Either the water runoff from the tank stays on the decking for a long time because there is no proper drainage, I suggest u relocate the tanks or u stop pumping water to the tank for sometime n see what happens, but u need to climb on the decking to investigate these details yourself..
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by dangoteinlaw: 7:09am On Jun 19, 2020
Mayng01:
What you people call decking is known as a slab in engineering term, during the casting of the concrete work of that slab, a vibrator that consists of a poker was not used on the slab work thereby creating honey comb in the slab; it means there are voids or spaces for air or water to flow through & concrete work are meant to be tightly and closely packed. So each time rain falls or your tank overflows during pumping, there is seepage ( water flowing through the concrete) thereby causing moisture through the walls and slabs internally. Concrete are meant to hold water not to absorb it. Therefore, that fault is referred to as poor workmanship during construction.
my engineer I greet you, this is the only response worth reading coz you spoke using our terminology instead of those up there claiming to know too much. Problem with this our profession is that it’s been crowded with so many quacks that even the real engineers are now seen as irrelevant. Well I won’t state any solution, you see the whitish columns right there, well I pray the building collapses, one or two end up in the hospital and the artesian located and arrested then ppl will seek professionals to build even something as small as a store.

By looking at that slab soffit alone I am sure there’s been enough weeping to take away approximately half the strength of that binder but anyways it’s thier problem.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Kylekent59: 7:10am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

It's ok fam.
We are also looking at the possibility of excess heat because like I said before, the room is damped looking and the window glass sweat from the inside.

That's the building with two tankers untop... The water in this home is continually hot on a sunny day (the radiation and heat from the roof next to it keeps the water hot all day long, we are suspecting this to be the cause of the excess humidity level in the decked room.

What do you think?

The position of those tanks endanger the occupants of that bungalow.

I am very sure that casting they did at the deck isn't strong. I just hope it does collapse on someone one day.

Engineers are the cause. Let me tell you one thing about them nowadays; they just engineer anything that can bring money without considering the safety of the occupants.

It should be 1: 3 for a strong building, then for decking for tank place, 1:3:4 , if granite is involved.

One bucket filled with cement Mixed with Three buckets filled with sand, that's 1:3, but engineers would steal from you and make it 1:6; why won't the wall crack.... It soaks...
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Mutemenot(m): 7:10am On Jun 19, 2020
Moisture from the open deck is giving you headaech. Just roof the house n remove those tanks there

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Microwhy: 7:11am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

Yes I did supervise and 14bags went into this...
Tho there are no moulds on the wall but...
The health concern is a thing to worry about truly... The place is always damp and moisty.
The slab thickness is much too.
Get a good plumber to climb the decking and disconnect the two tanks, get your tiller to remove the tiles, go buy Mr Fixit (liquid bond) and mix with cement for another tilling, lastly go get experience person to do you bituminous felt round the edges. Conceal roof or exposed decking are always extremely troublesome.
I deck my kitchen to place the tank but when the wahala start, I called the roofer to come and roof the opening I left for the tank.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by aboki2000(m): 7:11am On Jun 19, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Let me learn

Be a real niggarrr
You are talking to a real niggarrr who is on the verge of roofing his building
Initially, I started it with the Idea of stone coated
But when i realize the expenses. I was left with no choice than to settle for a metcoppo or step tiles aluminium
With 18ft wood work
still everything about the aluminium roofing and wood work according to my engineer is supposed to cost about 3million. To me the thing is still very expensive.
The only reason i will proceed now is the fact that i was told that those aluminium company gives discount when you patrionize them be it long span, step tiles and metcoppo. Atleast with that discount. A real niggarrr can have something remaining in his account to smoke some weed, bang enough Pussy and drink enough bottles
Audio house grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Nobody: 7:13am On Jun 19, 2020
jikins:

Doesn't matter, just because 1 isn't an engineer doesn't mean they don't have an idea on it. Lets be open minded abeg. I am not an engineer but just looking at the pictures, those water tanks shouldn't be there.

We are not just 1 thing. Bill gates knows alot about infectious diseases, but is he a doctor? Why then do people sit down and listen to him talk about infectious disease? Going by your logic he should keep mute right? We learn everyday by experience and research. This gives us insight into other fields which enable us help ourselves and others the little way we can when the time comes.

You have given some valid points and no arguments there I see your view point, but I still insist those with the technical know how give their own professional opinions first before others. I could have as well given my own opinions since I have built my own house from my personal experience but at this point let the experts (building- civil engineers, surveyors et al) give their professional opinions. Cheers and have a lovely day cool
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by kebliss(m): 7:15am On Jun 19, 2020
Did you make use you of water proofing admixture during the construction stage of the slab?
The concrete material constituents, the method of mixing, the quality of the mix (monolithic), the mode of concrete placement, the workability of the concrete and the mix ratio are to be taking into account when constructing a slab which is to be exposed to the atmosphere or to carry a water tank.

My conclusion; your slab wasn't constructed to be exposed to the atmosphere or carry a water tank which always have an overflow of water.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by tolugar: 7:21am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

It's ok fam.
We are also looking at the possibility of excess heat because like I said before, the room is damped looking and the window glass sweat from the inside.

That's the building with two tankers untop... The water in this home is continually hot on a sunny day (the radiation and heat from the roof next to it keeps the water hot all day long, we are suspecting this to be the cause of the excess humidity level in the decked room.

What do you think?

My dear nothing is wrong with your house.

Go and plaster the outside.

Before nko, what do you expect.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Muyiwaipere(m): 7:22am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

It's ok fam.

What do you think?

Boss don't let anybody deceive you ...your building is in good condition just that water is getting into the decking in a way

Meanwhile while not run a5Kva solar system for that house..it would power everything ..if care is not taken it would lower u too grin grin
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by frozen70(f): 7:22am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Hi NLanders and Engineers.
Good evening.
this structure was built in December 2019.
I noticed the room is always moisty,
When the room windows and door is shut... The glass sweat from inside.
Now it's the roofing(decking), just this part of the decking.
The room is well ventilated but since no occupant the windows and doors are always shut.

Above the decking is completely tiled and two brand new water tanks are sitting untop.

What could this imply?

It's never a good idea to place water tank on a decking

That's why you see some people lay nylon before decking and still tile it before mounting the tank, yet it will still leak

Best option is to remove the tank and do a separate tank stand to stand on its own

No matter how you prepare a decking to carry tank, it must bring out moisture, if not now later, but it must occur

So relocate the thank and renovate that portion

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by beejayjohn(m): 7:22am On Jun 19, 2020
I believe that the floor of your decking is not sloppy, u need to remove those storage tanks and try to make it sloppy so that there's no water log on the deck to check if there will be a difference.[color=#550000][/color]
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by IamDavid(m): 7:23am On Jun 19, 2020
Why would you build your house yourself or based on nairaland comments? So you think professionals went to play in school? Or their experience is not necessary? This is what you get in return, and you can't hold anyone responsible. Sounds fair to me.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by doncheks: 7:23am On Jun 19, 2020
The only problem I see here is inadequate/no waterproofing.
Your decking needs to be waterproofed. Try to avoid felt and use something more permanent.
You can check out water proofing paint that uses fiber glass mesh.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Nobody: 7:24am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Good evening.
The room is well ventilated but since no occupant the windows and doors are always shut.

Above the decking is completely tiled and two brand new water tanks are sitting untop.

What could this imply?

I will not like to toe the line of bashing you for compromising building standard at the initial...let me go to the solution straight

* scrape the whole plaster on the decking
* re do the plastering work but this time use enough cement and make sure you use a very sharp sand ...if u must mix a plaster sand because of the difficulty with plastering with only sharp sand , make sure the ratio of sharp sand is more than the plaster ( if u are to use bucket to measure..make it 5 bucket of plaster sand and 7 bucket of sharp sand for 1 bag of cement will be more preferable)

* when mixing the aggregates (sand , cement and ) add a waterproofing powdered cement (the name I can remember is Dr. Fix ) ..
*make sure the whole mixture is mix thoroughly

Finally, I will also advice you do same on top ... that will involve taking off the previous tiles .... this will solve the problem once and for all without having to remove the tank

Use it to plaster the decking and say good bye to your camping deck

Thank me later
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Inception100: 7:25am On Jun 19, 2020
just use more cement to do sallow decking. it was not ramed very well
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by joshuaidibia(m): 7:27am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Good evening.

What could this imply?

Is there a roof on top? If not can you take a picture of how the water accumulates on top and show us. That way it's easier
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by colestephan86: 7:31am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Good evening.

What could this imply?
Is the wall outside plastered?
And from this picture , water is soaking into the wall and the decking . That's why u are experiencing the moisture.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by PetersKID(m): 7:32am On Jun 19, 2020
This is when an engineer graduate from online class
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Nobody: 7:33am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

It's ok fam.

What do you think?

@op I am not trying to derail your thread but am curious after seeing the photo you posted and also based on what I have observed around.

Aren't those windows too small?

I have noticed that Nigerians love building houses with small windows and little concern about air flow.

Please engineers in house any specific reason for this?

Here in the west most houses and apartments have bigger windows and they are positioned for maximum airflow. If there is any clime that should request for smaller windows it should colder climate where most of the year they require heating to live comfortably.

Or is there something I am missing?
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by oseiwe(m): 7:35am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Good evening.

What could this imply?
You should have used a waterproofing material before tiling. Water is seeping through the tiles and soaking the decking.
You can still drop the tanks, and waterproof it though.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Reference(m): 7:35am On Jun 19, 2020
Always use a mackintosh whenever you finish a water retaining structure. Concrete is by nature porous no matter the quality of materials used and the technology of placing it, moreover concrete is by nature brittle and doesn't do well in tension, torsion or worst, dynamic loading which can happen in this case where those tanks will fill up and empty frequently, the foundations are bound to move as well.

The only way to keep moisture from permeating the concrete is to place a flexible impervious barrier between the concrete and the finish and in tropical Africa a mackintosh works best (in temperate climes you can use peat and other inorganic oil based compounds).

Such I tell folks who build in high water tables locations or build open contact bathrooms, elevated swimming pools, etc. Structural concrete will move, micro fracture and leak eventually and if it corrodes the rebar over a long period time you are done.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by phemmyfour: 7:37am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Good evening.

What could this imply?
Putting water tanks on it if not properly down will destroy the decking
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by banio: 7:38am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Good evening.

What could this imply?

Mounting water tanks on a building is a bad idea. Water will always find it's way throw rocks not to talk of your decking.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by emmabest2000(m): 7:39am On Jun 19, 2020
Mayng01:
What you people call decking is known as a slab in engineering term, during the casting of the concrete work of that slab, a vibrator that consists of a poker was not used on the slab work thereby creating honey comb in the slab; it means there are voids or spaces for air or water to flow through & concrete work are meant to be tightly and closely packed. So each time rain falls or your tank overflows during pumping, there is seepage ( water flowing through the concrete) thereby causing moisture through the walls and slabs internally. Concrete are meant to hold water not to absorb it. Therefore, that fault is referred to as poor workmanship during construction.
Interesting

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by adisabarber(m): 7:40am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Good evening.

What could this imply?

Don't listen to all those insulting you. See the bolded part of your post. That is the problem. Send me a message and I will explain how you will fix it. It's a cheap fix. You can just quote this message and I will reply with the fix.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Nobody: 7:40am On Jun 19, 2020
captainjay:
Op. I am not sure you engage an engineer.this is a building that will last for 40-50yrs. don't let a mason who picked his experience on the road dictate technical things to you, seek the advice of engineer .
The below list are What might have caused the dampness
1. The slope of the floor is not enough , this will cause water retention at the centre of the slab. Water will surely find it way through any concrete slab if the slope to the discharge pipe is not adequate.
2. The engineer should have advised you to lay polythene (water proof) which will cover the area of the slab before tiling the floor.
3. The engineer should have advised you to use water repellant chemical or cement mixed with ordinary Portland cement for wall plastering and floor tiles.
4. When you have done the 1-3 above ,pour enough water and put your discharge pipe to where the water gather at the wall.

And for the remaining part you don't have water tank make sure you cover it with roof, water will still find it way in the future.

Take care of what I listed above and thank me later.
How many buildings you don correct for your life?
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by easynetsms(m): 7:40am On Jun 19, 2020
Leave the windows open always especially in the afternoon nd see ow those moist will disappear
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by micky22: 7:40am On Jun 19, 2020
This cannot work if it is caused by capillary movement.
Is the structure located in partially waterlogged area? What waterproofing measure did you use for foundation and concrete works? Did you check if the DPC is adequate? Did you apply water proof cement where needed? It is also obvious that the concrete quality of the slab is bad
tonididdy:

No lol, I saw the whole process from start to finish.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by JamesBond008(m): 7:40am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

Am surprised myself... I also think there is a bad drainage system at the top of the decking.

What can you do to rectify this. Let's get serious on here firstly

Bad drainage system on top of the decking might be one of the determinants. However, have you reconsidered replastering the decking from below using a high cement to sand ratio .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Aftermath Of Onitsha Fuel Tanker Fire, As Traders Count Losses (Photos) / How Many 9" Blocks Are Required To Fence A 60ft By 120 Ft Plot? / What Is The Weirdest Rule A Landlady/Landlord Has Ever Given You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.