Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,288 members, 7,818,980 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report (28084 Views)

Kobe Bryant's Death: Helicopter Dropped More Than 2,000 Feet A Minute, NTSB Says / Gianna Bryant & 3 Others Killed In Helicopter Crash With Kobe / Kobe Bryant Dies In A Helicopter Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by ogbiwa: 8:31am On Jun 18, 2020
The pilot of the helicopter that crashed in thick fog, killing Kobe Bryant and seven other passengers, reported the aircraft was ascending when it actually was heading for the ground, federal investigators said in documents released Wednesday.

Ara Zobayan radioed to air traffic controllers that he was climbing to 4,000ft (1,220m) to get above clouds on January 26 when, in fact, the helicopter was plunging toward a hillside where it crashed northwest of Los Angeles, killing all nine people aboard.

The report by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said Zobayan may have "misperceived" the angles at which he was descending and banking, which can happen when a pilot becomes disoriented in low visibility.

Aviation experts said shortly after the crash that the path of the flight indicated Zobayan had lost his bearing.

"Calculated apparent angles at this time show that the pilot could have misperceived both pitch and roll angles," one report stated. "During the final descent the pilot, responding to (air traffic control), stated that they were 'climbing to four thousand.'

The 1,700 pages of reports do not offer a conclusion of what caused the crash but compile factual reports. A final report on the cause is due later.

Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, and six of their friends were killed, along with Zobayan.

About 45 minutes before takeoff, Zobayan had texted a group of people overseeing the flight that the weather was looking "OK."

He took off from John Wayne Airport in Orange County at 9:06 a.m. with the eight passengers he had flown the day before to the same destination: a girls basketball tournament at the retired Lakers star's Mamba Sports Academy in Thousand Oaks, a city approximately 40 miles north of Los Angeles.

When the helicopter hadn't landed within an hour, an executive of the company that operated the aircraft began a frantic search for it on tracking software and had another company helicopter dispatched to look for it.

"The weird thing, though, is that the tracker had stopped at 9:45am which is not normal and we were trying to reach Ara over the radio," noted Whitney Bagge, vice president of Island Express Helicopters. "I kept refreshing the tracker praying that it was just broken."

Brady said the original flight time for Sunday was 9:45 am, but Bryant had it rescheduled to 9 am because he wanted to see another team play before his daughter's game.

Source: https://www.skysports.com/nba/news/36244/12009338/pilot-in-kobe-bryant-helicopter-crash-thought-he-was-climbing-rather-than-descending-say-federal-investigators

5 Likes

Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by logon599: 8:31am On Jun 18, 2020
Sad. And just for that 8 lives gone. It's well

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by Ilefoaye(m): 10:23am On Jun 18, 2020
hmm
Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by LexngtonSteele: 12:38pm On Jun 18, 2020
shocked
Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by Dailymice: 12:38pm On Jun 18, 2020
shocked
Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by Slawormir: 12:39pm On Jun 18, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
May their soul continue to rest in peace
For every day we wake we are faced with more than a hundred ways to die. We will always return to that dust

The only prayer we should be praying as real niggarrrz is for us to smoke enough weed, drink enough bottles, bang enough Pussy, make some dope money and buy a ride and seek for little knowledge before we die

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by bro4u: 12:39pm On Jun 18, 2020
report by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said Zobayan may have "misperceived" the angles at which he was descending and banking, which can happen when a pilot becomes disoriented in low visibility.
Abeg tell me something else, even in low visibility the pilot ought to have known when the plane is descending or ascending. How can you tell me my blind uncle won't know when he's falling from the sky?? Motion necessarily don't need sight to affirm.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by TheFacelessMan: 12:39pm On Jun 18, 2020
shocked

Many years back.... i felt the same too.

I was part of an audacious plot to steal a stealth plane from the Russian Airforce.

I could tell a story, but Kobe's end was tragic.....

By the way, my story would have been a rip-off grin of FIREFOX, a book by Craig Thomas - I recommend!

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by OLDESTWARRIBOY4: 12:39pm On Jun 18, 2020
May his soul rest in peace.

People full here dey wear im jersey dem no even know say this guy no dey alive again

4 Likes

Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by Houseofglam7(f): 12:39pm On Jun 18, 2020
cry
Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by stagger: 12:39pm On Jun 18, 2020
Spatial disorientation. Was the pilot not instrument-rated?

3 Likes

Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by FIXED9583: 12:40pm On Jun 18, 2020
see below
Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by NwaNimo1(m): 12:40pm On Jun 18, 2020
Speculation......
Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by eightsin(m): 12:40pm On Jun 18, 2020
How is that possible or was the pilot high

4 Likes

Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by ThatFairGuy: 12:40pm On Jun 18, 2020
hmmmn
Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by Tatashi: 12:40pm On Jun 18, 2020
What kind of "thought" is that? It was after this guy's death alot of other deaths followed suit.
Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by Atomemmy(m): 12:40pm On Jun 18, 2020
Chai
Sometimes I think carrying investigations on the death of someone will bring the person back to life, but that has never been the case.
Well, the pilot shouldn't be blamed, let's blame that spirit of alcohol that lured him to the toilet before takeoff, just to have a pint of the alcohol.
Meanwhile, R.I.P. Kobe Bryant.
Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by Johnny1013(m): 12:40pm On Jun 18, 2020
Wow that was a costly mistake ........ Anyways may their souls Continue to rest in peace

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by Gten(m): 12:40pm On Jun 18, 2020
So sad, rest on Kobe, it was your time. He even the changed the flight time to 9am instead of 9:45am. Let's make our ways right with God, nobody can determine when the watch on earth would end.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by GeniusWeb: 12:41pm On Jun 18, 2020
Oga oo, dem still dy on top this matter sha
Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by Oxfor: 12:41pm On Jun 18, 2020
Life na pot of beans

I forget hot pot of beans....

1 Like

Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by gambia(m): 12:41pm On Jun 18, 2020
Is he a baby pilot? Suicide mission on point.
Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by tetralogyfallot(m): 12:41pm On Jun 18, 2020
Shsh
Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by philips007(m): 12:41pm On Jun 18, 2020
People should learn to be professional, do the right thing even in the face of danger.
Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by Gideoniteprime4: 12:42pm On Jun 18, 2020
to be honest...
i feel machines are more credible than most human services
i know humans make the machines
but i believe the humans filters of most of the flaws and potential errors
compared to the vigorous months and years of pilot training
an auto-pilot engine would have done a much better job in this particular situation

quote me only if you read and have comprehended my comment

1 Like

Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by Stellly02(m): 12:42pm On Jun 18, 2020
Na dark shield dey the glass wey make am think instead of to look??

3 Likes

Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by longetivity(m): 12:43pm On Jun 18, 2020
rip to them
Re: Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report by jaxxy(m): 12:43pm On Jun 18, 2020
How? Was he upside down or what??

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Super Eagles: Serbian Mladen Krstajic Lined Up To Replace Gernot Rohr / Fathers Day: Mikel Obi And His Twin Daughters Pictured / Obafemi Martins And Abigail Are Expecting Their Second Child (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.