Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,900 members, 7,821,137 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru (745 Views)

How Awolowo Opposed The Creation Of The Midwestern Region in 1963. / Sen Ifeanyi Ubah Restores Peace Between Igbos And Yorubas In Lagos State / Babangida To Broker Peace Between Atiku, PDP G-5 Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by ScotMisile: 9:02am On Jun 18, 2020
How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yorubas.

In 1963, Obafemi Awolowo was jailed by Balewa due to treason at Uyo,Eastern Region.

He also lost his son to car crash.

During his imprisonment, M.I Okpara hired a house & urged the Igbo owner of a House near the prison to vacate from the house for Awolowo to live in that house.

The man vacated and Awolowo lived in that house. So, every night he would sleep in that house but at daybreak he would go to prison and stay and all the cooks and stewards he had were paid from Enugu by the Eastern Government.

His wife HID Awolowo who was mourning two losses, her incarcerated husband and dead Son, was placed on a ministerial salary from Enugu and all allowances that accrued to ministers in those days were paid to her.

In 1966, he was released by Ojukwu and moved to Ikenne.

In an interview, Ojukwu reiterated.

"I released Awolowo from jail. Even that, some people are beginning to contest as well.

Awolowo was in jail in Calabar. Gowon knows and the whole of the federal establishment knows that at no point was Gowon in charge of the East.

The East took orders from me. Now, how could Gowon have released Awolowo who was in Calabar? Because of the fact that I released him, it created quite a lot of rapport between Awolowo and myself and I know that before he went back to Ikenne.

I set up a hotline between Ikenne and my bedroom in Enugu. He tried like an elder statesman to find a solution. Awolowo is a funny one. Don’t forget that the political purpose of the coup, the Ifeajuna coup that began all this, was to hand power over to Awolowo.

We young men respected him a great deal. I thought he was a hero and certainly I received him when I was governor. We talked and he was very vehement when he saw our complaints and he said that if the Igbos were forced out by Nigeria that he would take the Yorubas out also.

Later Gowon wooed Awolowo through his Wife to join the government, in his words in an interview.

"Yes, we really pleaded with mama; she was the one who encouraged papa to accept that invitation and so, for that, we ever remain grateful to her for what she did."
Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by helinues: 9:03am On Jun 18, 2020
Here we go again

Blaming everybody except themselves...

Hian

9 Likes

Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by Sammy07: 9:06am On Jun 18, 2020
So many lies in this write up.

1st Gowon released Awolowo not Ojokwu. (The lies have been busted months ago)

2nd, Any evidence that Awolowo wife was placed on monthly payment?

3rd, How about Azikwe that betrayed the south by give North power.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by sweetsell: 9:09am On Jun 18, 2020
It seem like the author of "tales by moonlight" is an Igbo man because the way Igbos keep churning out tales by moonlight without a single prove to back their claims one can argue they must have indeed inherited such lying skills from their parent.

ScotMisile:
How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yorubas.

In 1963, Obafemi Awolowo was jailed by Balewa due to treason at Uyo,Eastern Region.

During his imprisonment, M.I Okpara hired a house & urged the Igbo owner of a House near the prison to vacate from the house for Awolowo to live in that house.

The man vacated and Awolowo lived in that house. So, every night he would sleep in that house but at daybreak he would go to prison and stay and all the cooks and stewards he had were paid from Enugu by the Eastern Government.

His wife HID Awolowo who was mourning two losses, her incarcerated husband and dead Son, was placed on a ministerial salary from Enugu and all allowances that accrued to ministers in those days were paid to her.

"I released Awolowo from jail. Even that, some people are beginning to contest as well.

Awolowo was in jail in Calabar. Gowon knows and the whole of the federal establishment knows that at no point was Gowon in charge of the East.

The East took orders from me. Now, how could Gowon have released Awolowo who was in Calabar? Because of the fact that I released him, it created quite a lot of rapport between Awolowo and myself and I know that before he went back to Ikenne.

I set up a hotline between Ikenne and my bedroom in Enugu. He tried like an elder statesman to find a solution. Awolowo is a funny one. Don’t forget that the political purpose of the coup, the Ifeajuna coup that began all this, was to hand power over to Awolowo.

We young men respected him a great deal. I thought he was a hero and certainly I received him when I was governor. We talked and he was very vehement when he saw our complaints and he said that if the Igbos were forced out by Nigeria that he would take the Yorubas out also.

Later Gowon wooed Awolowo through his Wife to join the government, in his words in an interview.

"Yes, we really pleaded with mama; she was the one who encouraged papa to accept that invitation and so, for that, we ever remain grateful to her for what she did."

4 Likes

Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by 900winer(m): 9:39am On Jun 18, 2020
Trash from an Osu miscreant.

3 Likes

Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 18, 2020
[s]
ScotMisile:

[/s]

2 Likes

Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by PIMPAR: 10:03am On Jun 18, 2020
IPOB go and meet your history teacher. He will surely tell you the original history

1 Like

Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by jneutron4000: 10:22am On Jun 18, 2020
ScotMisile:

Why was Awolowo was sent to Prison by Azikwe and Balewa? Why Azikwe Igbo entered into politically alliance with the North neglecting the Southern part of the country? answer those questions and tell us what happened btw 1952-1963, tell us why Azikwe an Igbo man was busy dragging politically power in western Nigeria predominately Yoruba people when the constitution was self rule and not unitary system? Tell us why FG majorly Igbo people fought Adaka Boro in a 12 days war because he wanted freedom for the Niger Delta people? tell us why an Igbo man Aguiyi Ironsi destroyed what we all negotiated for and created a degree 34 to literally repeated what Lugard did in 1914 that created Nigeria for easy administrative purpose so as to convinently steal Nigeria resourses and use it to build England, so it mean Aguiyi Ironsi an Igbo man purposely destroyed Regionalism and centralized everything because the Igbos were fully in power and their intention was to steal and control the wealth of others solely for their own benefits, the fulanis retaliated and seized power and till date maintained the system the greediness of Igbos has initiated.

5 Likes

Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by BlowYourMind: 10:26am On Jun 18, 2020
Obafemi awolowo wasn't the one that lead igbos to war, he was wasn't the one to that cut food supply to the south east, it was the power drunk Ojukwu who send myopic and dimwitted morons to their dead/war with just one bullet, that man is a devil incarnate

3 Likes

Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by Gabkosh: 11:11am On Jun 18, 2020
[s]
ScotMisile:

[/s]Another hogwash from lying race. Spit
Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by Asgard13: 11:31am On Jun 18, 2020
Another one from the stable of Yoruba WhatsApp group

East and south should always observe Yoruba WhatsApp group post...

They post... they all rush to comment...

Then Igbo or south will rush to comment

Before you know 12 pages with deep insults and abuses
Mods won’t ban any of the monikers

Meanwhile Seun is packing in millions per day on top that kind thread

Igbo make una wise

Na Yoruba pattern be that

Anytime una see this kind thread...

Na from Yoruba WhatsApp group.... they make money for Seun

And insults Igbo

If na lie

Make an Igbo man open this kind thread against Yoruba

Walahi fa

Mods go take am down with 5 min

E no go pass

Anybody doubt

Make he try
Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by meforyou1(m): 12:05pm On Jun 18, 2020
PIMPAR:
IPOB go and meet your history teacher. He will surely tell you the original history
who was in charge of south eastern nigeria?
Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by meforyou1(m): 12:07pm On Jun 18, 2020
BlowYourMind:
Obafemi awolowo wasn't the one that lead igbos to war, he was wasn't the one to that cut food supply to the south east, it was the power drunk Ojukwu who send myopic and dimwitted morons to their dead/war with just one bullet, that man is a devil incarnate
u dont know history
Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by Asgard13: 12:09pm On Jun 18, 2020
East stay out of this Yoruba WhatsApp group post

Even the guy above me is yoruba

All na strategy

Sense no Dey
Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by Omoodua007: 1:03pm On Jun 18, 2020
angry grin

2 Likes

Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by googi: 1:38pm On Jun 18, 2020
I beg my well informed and peace loving Igbo brothers to come out of silence or hiding and deter this propaganda and revision of history.

You cannot base your hatred for every Yoruba that meant well or fought your cause on Awo: from Wole Soyinka, Fajuyi to young student like Kayode Adams.

Why? Because Awo denied you the opportunity to rule his people. Nobody in his reasonable state would invite none of their people, especially those that think God destined them to rule others, to rule them. While at the same time fiercely detect being ruled by others.

Even then Zik led Lagos, it was not enough. As usual he wanted more. Where in Igbo land is that done. Please do not mention Alstine the community leader you later promoted to mayor posthumously and then burned his household.

Ndi-Igbo have enough problems ruling themselves and suppressing neighbors. Settle problem at home to make it conducive for your children to stay and feel comfortable at home instead of fighting for power in another man's land.

2 Likes

Re: How Awolowo's Action Destroyed The Fibre Of Peace Between The Igbos And The Yoru by T9ksy(m): 1:47pm On Jun 18, 2020
meforyou1:
who was in charge of south eastern nigeria?

Was south eastern NIGERIA, an independent nation ?

(1) (Reply)

Who Has Been Your Best Vice President Till Date? / I Wish Disqualified Ondo APC Aspirant The Best - Akeredolu / What You Need To Know About The COVID-19 Survival Fund For Msmes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.