Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,138 members, 7,811,199 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? (23966 Views)

Sadaqa Is A Reason For The Increase In Provision / Palm Wine In Islam / Artificial Insemination To Get A Child: Is It A Sin In Islam? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Notyamate(f): 8:29am On Jun 19, 2020
I went to greet a friend who recently gave birth to a baby girl. I carried this baby and she was so cute, and the hair, oh my God! This baby has hair, I mean the hair was just too much on her head. Dark curly, beautiful shinny hair.

I complimented the mother about the hair saying if I have a baby I want her hair to be plenty as hers. She replied that I better not be too happy about the hair, that they'll cut it before the naming ceremony. I was like why? She said it's a Muslim thing.

Although I know the hair will grow back, but I would like to know the reason behind this cutting of a thing.

Is it done to all Muslims over the world, or is it just in only Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by ModestGal(f): 8:31am On Jun 19, 2020
It is done to all Muslims

12 Likes

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Notyamate(f): 8:42am On Jun 19, 2020
ModestGal:
It is done to all Muslims
Any reason for it?
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by ModestGal(f): 8:45am On Jun 19, 2020
Notyamate:

Any reason for it?
Yes, but I'm too busy to type now
I'm working on some beautiful designs and videos for some beautiful clients

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by AgentNairaland(f): 2:13pm On Jun 20, 2020
Uhmmm This Is Seriously Serious
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by IMAliyu(m): 7:46pm On Jun 20, 2020
I think similar to a lot of traditions it doesn't need to make logical sense. It's just a thing people do.
But I think the reason maybe something along the lines of the hair was exposed to the (spiritual) impurities in the mother's womb and during birth, therefore it should be cut so that new clean hair can grow.

10 Likes

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by RichFoundation(m): 9:40am On Jun 26, 2020
Teally
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Elzakzaky: 9:44am On Jun 26, 2020
Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. No one enters heaven except through him

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Hndrrxxx(m): 9:47am On Jun 26, 2020
Interesting cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by sunshineV(f): 9:49am On Jun 26, 2020
I still don't understand why we practice Arabian culture when we have our own

13 Likes

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Hndrrxxx(m): 9:50am On Jun 26, 2020
Now what's your problem if you are no more a Muslim Leave my religion to me. YOUR RELIGION WILL ALWAYS BE YOUR RELIGION AND MY RELIGION WILL ALWAYS BE MY RELIGION. PEACE ❤️
Xmuslim:

I'm no more a Muslim, but I have answer to your question.

Shaving children hair and killing animal as a sacrifice on behalf of the baby is a popular pegan pre-Islamic practice.

Muhammad/Islam adopted the practice with little modifications

1. Muslim kill the animal on the seventh day after birth
2. Muslim don't stain the head of the baby with the blood of the animal like the pegan use to do.

Summary

It is a culture that Muhammad met in his community and adopted into his religion. But many today's Muslim do not know and they are not ready to modernise their Islam to suit the current century because they are afraid of hell fire. Maybe they think their God is brutal

59 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by sunshineV(f): 9:52am On Jun 26, 2020
Hndrrxxx:
Now what's your problem if you are no more a Muslim Leave my religion to me. YOUR RELIGION WILL ALWAYS BE YOUR RELIGION AND MY RELIGION WILL ALWAYS BE MY RELIGION. PEACE ❤️

triggered for no reason

very typical

33 Likes

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Hndrrxxx(m): 9:53am On Jun 26, 2020
So you say the Shahaadah just to come here and type this grin grin grin
Elzakzaky:
Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. No one enters heaven except through him

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Triangles1(m): 9:54am On Jun 26, 2020
Bcs of ritualist.
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by FuckTheMod: 9:54am On Jun 26, 2020
cool
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by FuckTheMod: 9:54am On Jun 26, 2020
smiley
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Hndrrxxx(m): 9:55am On Jun 26, 2020
Yep � Hit em in the face before you turn state cool cool
sunshineV:

triggered for no reason

very typical
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by neyobanti(m): 9:56am On Jun 26, 2020
Thank you for your curiosity.With the little knowledge I have, Moslems are enjoined to shave the head of a new baby because the hair is dirty.Also,moslems are enjoined to shave this hair, weigh it and give equivalent weight of the hair in charity to the needy.These are basic islamic rites to welcome the new-born into this world.

21 Likes

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by FRESHG(m): 9:57am On Jun 26, 2020
ModestGal:

Yes, but I'm too busy to type now
I'm working on some beautiful designs and videos for some beautiful clients
CAN I HAVE YOUR COMPREHENSIVE ANALYSIS BETWEEN PROPHET MUHAMMAD AND MOSES. I MEAN THEIR SIMILARITIES.

IM WAITING FOR THE THREAD
CC RASHDUCT4LUV
THATFAIRGUY
MACLATUNJI
WALEDEJI
ALLTHINGSGOOD
RIGHTEOUSNESS89

1 Like

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Elzakzaky: 9:57am On Jun 26, 2020
sunshineV:

is he a gate abi gateman?
Both

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by MansSour: 9:58am On Jun 26, 2020
1. It is established from the Sunnah that the head of the child is to be shaved on the seventh day after the birth:

From Samurah (radiyallaahu `anhu) that Allaah’s Messenger (salallaahu `alaihi wassallaam) said:

“A child is held in pledge by his `aqeeqah that is slaughtered on his behalf on the seventh day, and he is named and his head is shaved.”

Reported by Ahmad (7/5), Abu Dawood (2838), At-Tirmidhee (1522). It was graded Saheeh by: At-Tirmidhee, Al-Haakim, Abdur-Razzaaq Al-Ishbeelee and others.

Salmaan Ibn `Aamir Ad-Dabbee (radiyallaahu ‘anhu) said that: I heard Allaah’s Messenger (salallaahu `alaihi wassallam) say:

“For the child there is an `aqeeqah, so spill blood on his behalf (i.e. slaughter an animal) and remove from him harm.”

Al-Bukhaaree (5472), Abu Dawood (2839).

Al-Hasan Al-Basree (d. 110H, rahimahullaah) said:

“The removal of harm is shaving the head.”

Reported by Abu Dawood (2840).

Ibn Abdil-Barr said in At-Tamheed (4/318) said:

“As for the shaving of the head of the child at the time of `aqeeqah, then the scholars used to recommend that – and it is established from the Prophet (salallaahu `alaihi wassallam) in the hadeeth regarding the `aqeeqah, ‘His head is shaved and he is named.'”

2. Some benefits concerning the shaving of the head of a baby:

Ibnul-Qayyim (rahimahullaah) said in At-Tuhfatul-Mawlood (p.121):

“Removing the harm from him, and the removal of weak hair so that stronger hair replaces it, which is firmer than what was there before, and it is better for one’s head. Alongside that there is relief for the child, and opening of the pores in the scalp so that the unpleasant vapour may escape with ease. And in that there is a strengthening of the eyesight, the nasal passage and the hearing.”

3. An issue: Should the hair of a baby girl be shaved?

In this there is some differing between the Scholars, but what is apparent is that the head of the baby girl is also to be shaved for the following reasons:

Maalik Ibn Anas (d.179H, rahimahullaah) narrated in Al-Muwatta (2/501) from Ja`far Ibn Muhammad, from his father who said:

“Faatimah the daughter of Allaah’s Messenger (salallaahu `alaihi wassallam) weighed the hair of Hasan, Husayn, Zaynab and Umm Kulthoom, and she gave its weight in silver as charity.”

This narration is mursal-saheeh (authentic except for the fact that there is a narrator missing) – however, there is within it Muhammad Ibn Al-Husayn Ibn `Alee Ibn Abee Taalib (radiyallaahu `anhumaa) who narrates this from his family, and he is more knowledgeable concerning them. And this is supported by the statement of the Messenger (salallaahu `alaihi wassallam):

“And shave his head.”

Furthermore the Prophet (salallaahu `alaihi wassallam) explained the wisdom behind removing the hair of the new-born because it is harmful saying: “And remove from him harm.”

So this encompasses every new-born, whether it be male or female, and Allaah knows best.
TheSourcerer:
Morning X
1. It is established from the Sunnah that the head of the child is to be shaved on the seventh day after the birth:

From Samurah (radiyallaahu `anhu) that Allaah’s Messenger (salallaahu `alaihi wassallaam) said:

“A child is held in pledge by his `aqeeqah that is slaughtered on his behalf on the seventh day, and he is named and his head is shaved.”

Reported by Ahmad (7/5), Abu Dawood (2838), At-Tirmidhee (1522). It was graded Saheeh by: At-Tirmidhee, Al-Haakim, Abdur-Razzaaq Al-Ishbeelee and others.

Salmaan Ibn `Aamir Ad-Dabbee (radiyallaahu ‘anhu) said that: I heard Allaah’s Messenger (salallaahu `alaihi wassallam) say:

“For the child there is an `aqeeqah, so spill blood on his behalf (i.e. slaughter an animal) and remove from him harm.”

Al-Bukhaaree (5472), Abu Dawood (2839).

Al-Hasan Al-Basree (d. 110H, rahimahullaah) said:

“The removal of harm is shaving the head.”

Reported by Abu Dawood (2840).

Ibn Abdil-Barr said in At-Tamheed (4/318) said:

“As for the shaving of the head of the child at the time of `aqeeqah, then the scholars used to recommend that – and it is established from the Prophet (salallaahu `alaihi wassallam) in the hadeeth regarding the `aqeeqah, ‘His head is shaved and he is named.'”

2. Some benefits concerning the shaving of the head of a baby:

Ibnul-Qayyim (rahimahullaah) said in At-Tuhfatul-Mawlood (p.121):

“Removing the harm from him, and the removal of weak hair so that stronger hair replaces it, which is firmer than what was there before, and it is better for one’s head. Alongside that there is relief for the child, and opening of the pores in the scalp so that the unpleasant vapour may escape with ease. And in that there is a strengthening of the eyesight, the nasal passage and the hearing.”

3. An issue: Should the hair of a baby girl be shaved?

In this there is some differing between the Scholars, but what is apparent is that the head of the baby girl is also to be shaved for the following reasons:

Maalik Ibn Anas (d.179H, rahimahullaah) narrated in Al-Muwatta (2/501) from Ja`far Ibn Muhammad, from his father who said:

“Faatimah the daughter of Allaah’s Messenger (salallaahu `alaihi wassallam) weighed the hair of Hasan, Husayn, Zaynab and Umm Kulthoom, and she gave its weight in silver as charity.”

This narration is mursal-saheeh (authentic except for the fact that there is a narrator missing) – however, there is within it Muhammad Ibn Al-Husayn Ibn `Alee Ibn Abee Taalib (radiyallaahu `anhumaa) who narrates this from his family, and he is more knowledgeable concerning them. And this is supported by the statement of the Messenger (salallaahu `alaihi wassallam):

“And shave his head.”

Furthermore the Prophet (salallaahu `alaihi wassallam) explained the wisdom behind removing the hair of the new-born because it is harmful saying: “And remove from him harm.”

So this encompasses every new-born, whether it be male or female, and Allaah knows best.

59 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Somodooo: 9:59am On Jun 26, 2020
Zekarayahu inlilila sibirahi masha Allah
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by jidamsel43(m): 10:00am On Jun 26, 2020
Xmuslim:

Shaving children hair and killing animal as a sacrifice on behalf of the baby is a popular pegan pre-Islamic practice.

2. Muslim don't stain the head of the baby with the blood of the animal like the pegan use to do.

Summary

It is a culture that Muhammad met in his community and adopted into his religion. But many today's Muslim do not know and they are not ready to modernise their Islam to suit the current century because they are afraid of hell fire. Maybe they think their God is brutal
Why did you bath a new born baby? The answer to that question will tell you that, the reason behind cutting is purely personal hygiene

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by jidamsel43(m): 10:02am On Jun 26, 2020
Elzakzaky:
Why did you people use to invade any Islamic post just to exhibit your paranoia

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Emir01: 10:04am On Jun 26, 2020
After seven days the baby's head is shaved.This is to show that the child is the servant of Allah. Muslims weigh it and give the equivalent weight in silver to charity. In a nutshell, it's an act of charity for the new baby.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by gentleibraheem(m): 10:13am On Jun 26, 2020
Xmuslim:

Summary

Lol. How rational does it sound to modernise a religion. So it is now like a software you update to suit your desire

27 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Help A Dying Muslim During And After Death / Things You Didnt Know About The Kaaba / Which Name Will You Like Your Spouse To Call You ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.